The VSD-I, vs the other three VSDs

3 replies to this topic

#1 a.fake.name

a.fake.name

title available

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 04:55 PM

I was wondering if people think the next version should see the VSD-I handled as an entirely different ship (research and production wise) from the VicStar Deuce and later models.

Basically, have the VSD-I upgradeable several times to higher stats mostly better speed/shields/hull. Prehaps slight upgrade to it's non-missile battery, etc.

Also, a thought, replace the full salvo ability (which, personally, I've not noticed too much effect from) with a weapon switcher that switches the missiles from firing one at a time (or some small number) and the present full salvos.

For the VSD nomeclature if this occurs, I would recomend VSD-I VSD-Ia, etc same for the VicStar Deuce and later models.

Playing PR when stoned is awesome

#2 ashiruni

ashiruni
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 12:40 AM

This has actually been discussed in the past, and essentially the general consensus is that it probably won't happen. Since PR is rather focused on keeping it close to the lore, you get the Victory mk I and only the Victory mk I, and you'll pretty much have to deal with it's weaknesses if you want to have the awesome missile spam of doom.

The Victory wasn't designed to be consistent with the rules presented in EaW, so what you generally get is an OP ship in the Victory mk I's effective firepower, and then a relative nerf to it in the mk II-IV. Originally the Victory mk I was intended as an interdiction and bombardment ship, so the missiles were largely intended to bombard entrenched land positions and provide anti-fighter coverage when it's complement was out on patrol. Neither of those things can be accurately represented in this game, so the missiles are used in an exclusively anti-ship role. To counter this (and provide regenerating Particle Shielding) I have customized my game a bit so that all missiles do shield damage, rather than jump straight to the hull. It makes the ion cannons that the victory mk II picks up a lot more useful, and it is pretty much enough to make me not miss loosing all those missiles too much.

Edited by ashiruni, 30 June 2014 - 12:41 AM.

#3 a.fake.name

a.fake.name

title available

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 01:03 AM

The heavy turboion/turbolaer armament of the Mk2 and later VicStar's are actually overall better guns, due to the range they offer.
As for the lore, I'm pretty sure basic upgrades (IE: slightly better speed, shield increase, etc) would fit perfectly, since that's what every single other line of upgrades in the mod upgrade.

Basically, it's a late clone war era ship that was very effective, there's no reason for the Empire to not upgrade them over time.
In fact, their not upgrading them would make LESS sense, both in cannon and with real life navies as a precident.
Every so often in real life, the vessel goes in for a maintence overhaul and a refit with more modern systems, that's all I'm saying is needed.

Also, for your missiles do shield damage tweak, can you make one that does that with all missiles/torpedoes/projectiles, and release it ?

Originally the Victory mk I was intended as an interdiction and bombardment ship, so the missiles were largely intended to bombard entrenched land positions and provide anti-fighter coverage when it's complement was out on patrol. Neither of those things can be accurately represented in this game, so the missiles are used in an exclusively anti-ship role.

I have to strongly disagree here.
Land bombardment would be quite easy to make doable if there were a little effort put into adding the VSD1 into land maps.
As for snubcraft defense, the missile barrage allready does some work in that regard, however replacing the seemingly pointless missile barrage ability with a weapon switcher toggle between 1-4 missiles per salvo, and full salvos, would take care of a great deal of that as well.

Besides, the upgrades are not intended to be fully cannon so much as to offer the players the choice of how THEY want to grow their empire/rebellion, and the option to spend the cash to fix the speed problem of the VSD would simply further that.

#4 a.fake.name

a.fake.name

title available

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 04:30 AM

Oh, and something I forgot to mention above: according to wookiepedia, the Vic Deuce was a seperate model and only produced in very limited numbers.

So further reason to make the VSD-I separate.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users