#2 OmegaBolt

OmegaBolt

Lost In The New Real

• Hosted
  • 6,273 posts
  • Projects:Red-Resurrection
  •  O'Bolt

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:39 PM

Seems like a waste of time to even try to enforce it, plus it's not something that even seems right to go to jail for. You downloaded 50GB of 0s and 1s, you evil scum. Piracy isn't the end of any of the industries IMO, I still buy CDs, games (and lots of them), go see films, buy DVDs, books etc while also pirating things that either hard to find or I don't know if I really want them. Music piracy is for the most part pointless with Spotify. Other mediums should come up with better products and better ways of viewing them that piracy can never match, such as the cinema experience. TV is IMO enhanced by piracy... I can't get most things on TV here, especially if its on Sky or US tele or whatever.

Edited by OmegaBolt, 22 July 2014 - 05:40 PM.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#3 Lenwë

Lenwë

title available

• Project Team
  • 260 posts
  • Projects:An Unexpected Mod
  •  Nothing... Really

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:48 PM

Apparently households that are suspected of pirate downloads will also be receiving letters, I doubt any action will be taken though. :ph34r:

I only pirate professional software like zBrush, which is probably the worst but it's the price of these things. In a way it's bad if you pirate music because it's so cheap there really isn't so much of a reason to it, but also you could look down on pirating expensive programs because the developers would have otherwise been making such a large sale.

#4 Irenë Hawnetyne

Irenë Hawnetyne

-

• Hosted
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:39 PM

Starting in 2015, persistent file-sharers will be sent four warning letters explaining their actions are illegal, but if the notes are ignored no further action will be taken.

Kinda pathetic attempt, but I'm not complaining.  I disagree that music piracy is bad, because it's one of the best ways of getting to know the feel of an artist. I'm a CD collector, but I've probably pirated about half of it before I bought it.

"Everyone's a hero when there's nowhere left to run."

Auxiliary Skarn, 2333rd Cohort

#5 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  • Projects:Writing Words With Letters
  •  I Help
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Community Admin

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:10 AM

No one ever gets caught pirating anyway.  If this method is more effective at punishing people who actually do it, then that's 100% better.  Because if game pirating is completely dealt with, PC gaming literally has no disadvantage to console garbage.  And yea... who cares about music pirating... music artists make too much anyway.

#6 Lenwë

Lenwë

title available

• Project Team
  • 260 posts
  •  Nothing... Really

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:20 AM

I don't like movie piracy. It seems like too much effort goes into making a movie just for some black market car boot salesman to take his own profit out of the work of someone else.

#7 Irenë Hawnetyne

Irenë Hawnetyne

-

• Hosted
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:45 AM

The same could be said of music and software, though.

"Everyone's a hero when there's nowhere left to run."

Auxiliary Skarn, 2333rd Cohort

#8 Lenwë

Lenwë

title available

• Project Team
  • 260 posts
  •  Nothing... Really

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:52 AM

Apart not the amount work that goes into them. A lot of work does go into software though, but it still costs much more than a movie.

#9 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Leader

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:07 AM

I don't like movie piracy. It seems like too much effort goes into making a movie just for some black market car boot salesman to take his own profit out of the work of someone else.

In the UK, this mostly happens in anti-piracy ads they insist on adding to DVDs. :p

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#10 Lenwë

Lenwë

title available

• Project Team
  • 260 posts
  •  Nothing... Really

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:14 AM

Everyone's favourite :themenace:

#11 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Job:Leader

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:24 AM

If I could download a car, I totally would.

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#12 Lenwë

Lenwë

title available

• Project Team
  • 260 posts
  •  Nothing... Really

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:48 AM

Everything else that "I wouldn't steal" was someone else's personal property that cannot be replaced, the movie is just one download, one copy, that has the uploader's permission to be free.

#13 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

LEGO Knight of Minas Ithil

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  • Projects:Mapping this Middle-earth
  •  Mapper
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Staff

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:49 AM

If I could download a... oh no wait. =p

Remember that all worlds draw to an end and that noble death is a treasure which no one is too poor to buy. - C.S. Lewis

There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning. - Louis L'Amour

What will matter then will be people. If relationships will matter most then, shouldn't they matter most now? - Max Lucado

#14 Phil

Phil

Force Majeure

• Network Leaders
  • 7,976 posts
  • Projects:Revora, C&C:Online
  •  Thought Police
  • Job:Network Leader
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:55 AM

Haha I was about to post that one as I was reading this thread. The IT Crowd is absolute gold.

revorapresident.jpg
My Political Compass

Sieben Elefanten hatte Herr Dschin
Und da war dann noch der achte.
Sieben waren wild und der achte war zahm
Und der achte war's, der sie bewachte.

#15 OmegaBolt

OmegaBolt

Lost In The New Real

• Hosted
  • 6,273 posts
  •  O'Bolt

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:04 PM

If you want to support filmmakers go see films at the cinema, and go see them at a place that still screens on film. There is no other good way of viewing them. Amazon and piracy dealers are both trading inferior quality products and presumably the artists (though it is mostly the production companies) still get paid for both. Amazon bought the DVDs in bulk to sell and the piracy dude probably stole them from Amazon warehouses. :p

Posted Image

#16 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm
  •  Keep calm and carry on.

Posted 10 October 2014 - 08:38 PM

Cinemas are a ridiculous ripoff. Not only does it cost nearly a tenner for an hour and a half's entertainment they then want to charge the same again for two fucking cups of syrup-made coke. Fuck off - it costs fuck all to screen a film.

This is an example of the government paying lip service to something nobody gives a shit about. They should de-block websites that don't host pirated material too because everyone that cares can easily get around it.

That said I did once report a guy for selling copied DVDs and CDs to his mates down the pub. He got 2 years. First offence.

#17 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 10 October 2014 - 11:31 PM

This is a misleading topic title. This isn't decrminalizing shit. It's just making it harder to get hit with something for one thing people are likely to download. I don't believe piracy should be that big of a deal in any country but that's just my take on things.

NZ.org | BBPCG
Discord: The Astronomer#1314
Steam

#18 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

I've had this avatar since... 2003?

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts
  • Job:Artist

Posted 11 October 2014 - 04:13 PM

As a current manager of the local cinema, I endorse people to drop by and watch a movie as often as they can afford :).

Still, its about £10 up here too, and we're richer than the brits on average, so I can see the annoyance.

Digital solutions are troublesome for cinemas though, and the cinema business is fighting tooth and nail against early digital releases.

Anyway, seems the law is just updating to how piracy has been treated the last decade.

Edited by duke_Qa, 11 October 2014 - 04:14 PM.

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#19 Bofur

Bofur

The Bolicious One

• Hosted
  • 1,766 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Firstborn
  •  The Bolicious T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 11 October 2014 - 06:20 PM

I love going to cinemas, not sure why, but I do ;) And I think the price is right, too.

left64_by_obsidianlake-d5ruayp.pngAotF.pngright64_by_obsidianlake-d5ruf44.png

#20 OmegaBolt

OmegaBolt

Lost In The New Real

• Hosted
  • 6,273 posts
  •  O'Bolt

Posted 11 October 2014 - 07:34 PM

£10 is too expensive for a crappy 4k screening. If you go to decent places like the Prince Charles theatre that charge £6 and screen on 35mm where possible you get the real experience for a great deal.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users