Photo

Getting unit ambient sounds to work

kanes wrath wrathed kw sounds modding help beginner

Best Answer Bibber, 20 August 2014 - 11:57 AM

First, you should post in the official forums at http://www.commandan...uer.com/forums/ to get help in modding questions. No-one is reading here.

Well, for basic understanding:
We can't just make a Global.xml to put all our global stuff in there because the main global stream of the game is patched by the localalized global streams. So our mod's global stream can't patch the game's global stream anymore. So we use a workaround to get our global stuff working. We just use map streams for it as they are loaded by the game at the same level (actually before) the global stream.

So, for overriding existing assets, you can use the AdditionalMaps\MapMetaData_GlobalOverrides.xml. Don't reference this file in your Static.xml. The asset names are already known from the game's global stream which is referenced in the Static.xml. The assets are just overridden.

For new global assets you can use AdditionalMaps\MapMetaData_Global.xml. This file has to be referenced in your Static.xml, so all assets of it are known in the static stream and you can use them there.

<!-- Reference to the Game's Global Data -->
<Include type="reference" source="Global.xml" />
<!-- Reference to the Mod's Global Data -->
<Include type="reference" source="AdditionalMaps/MapMetaData_Global.xml" />

The reason why you have no sounds might be that you don't prepend the type of the asset. e.g. use
<AudioEntry Sound="AudioEvent:ALL_MirageTank_VoiceAttack" AudioType="voiceAttack" />
instead of
<AudioEntry Sound="ALL_MirageTank_VoiceAttack" AudioType="voiceAttack" />
Same applies to Multisound, W3DContainer, W3DMesh, etc. Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Shuden

Shuden
  • New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:30 AM

Hello everyone,

I'm having issues getting unit ambient sounds to work (e.g. unit selection or babbling while getting in motion). While my problem is related to Kanes Wrath and therefore WrathEd, I believe that a TW modder could help anyways.

Know it's all about some basic stuff. I originally tried to make the Titan of the Steel Talons available for plain ol' standard GDI aswell and add the command post requierement for it. To do so, I copied the related xml sheets and edited some ID's and names (e.g. id=SteelTalonsTitan to id=GDITitan). So far everything is working properly - War Factory spits out Titans while the Command Post is active, it is firing some shells, its making poof (sound and particles) while firing and it is taking damage when taking some shells itself...

There are only two things I can't get to work - The ambient sounds and the unit portrait (don't tell me about the portrait just yet - I'd like to tinker a bit ;-) ).

Know - I've checked the documentation and the samplemod shipped with wrathed and found, that the miragetank of the samplemod got its own sounds added.
I've also found that the audiofiles are referenced at SampleMod\Data\AdditionalMaps\MapMetaData_Global\MirageTank => Samplemod is attached.
It'sconfusing that the sounds are referenced from a map directory as it doesn't make sense from my point of view.
But what I really don't get is why the sounds are working ingame since the references aren't in any way connected to the miragetank. There is no ID, no include, not the slightest hint.

The weaponFX is referenced from SampleMod\Data\Static\MirageTank which does make sence but I can't spot the reference to the remaining audio files.

Thanks in advance for any hint or help I might get here!

#2 Bibber

Bibber
  • Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 11:57 AM   Best Answer

First, you should post in the official forums at http://www.commandan...uer.com/forums/ to get help in modding questions. No-one is reading here.

Well, for basic understanding:
We can't just make a Global.xml to put all our global stuff in there because the main global stream of the game is patched by the localalized global streams. So our mod's global stream can't patch the game's global stream anymore. So we use a workaround to get our global stuff working. We just use map streams for it as they are loaded by the game at the same level (actually before) the global stream.

So, for overriding existing assets, you can use the AdditionalMaps\MapMetaData_GlobalOverrides.xml. Don't reference this file in your Static.xml. The asset names are already known from the game's global stream which is referenced in the Static.xml. The assets are just overridden.

For new global assets you can use AdditionalMaps\MapMetaData_Global.xml. This file has to be referenced in your Static.xml, so all assets of it are known in the static stream and you can use them there.
<!-- Reference to the Game's Global Data -->
<Include type="reference" source="Global.xml" />
<!-- Reference to the Mod's Global Data -->
<Include type="reference" source="AdditionalMaps/MapMetaData_Global.xml" />

The reason why you have no sounds might be that you don't prepend the type of the asset. e.g. use
<AudioEntry Sound="AudioEvent:ALL_MirageTank_VoiceAttack" AudioType="voiceAttack" />
instead of
<AudioEntry Sound="ALL_MirageTank_VoiceAttack" AudioType="voiceAttack" />
Same applies to Multisound, W3DContainer, W3DMesh, etc.

Edited by Bibber, 20 August 2014 - 11:59 AM.

sig_bibbersurft.jpg

#3 Shuden

Shuden
  • New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 01:43 PM

Danke dir für die Hilfe! Thanks for the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users