Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  • Projects:Writing Words With Letters
  •  I Help
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Community Admin

Posted 30 September 2014 - 04:48 AM

Middle-Earth-Shadow-Of-Mordor-2014-Game.

So it's coming here soon, and I wondered what you gents were pondering on the matter.  From everything I've seen thus far, it looks like it could be a great game... but the story looks like it's going to be Christ weeping on a stone pillow.  Goodness sake... it looks like a hideous plot.  If you don't like Tolkien's works being butchered by Warner Brothers, then you may want to steer clear of this.

On the other cheek, it does look like it could be quality.  Game-play-wise  There's a real strong free-flow combat system, which Warner Brothers have proven that they have some worth doing.  My evidence being the Arkham games.  Lots of cool parkour and other climbing nonsense as well.  But... but, but but... the economy of the game looks incredible, if they can pull it off in a consistent, challenging way.  Like there is a real working Orc ranking system where individual members in the Orc hierarchy move up and down in ranks, based on interactions with you.  Like if a low-ranking member kills you, then he moves up in rank.  I've never seen a game do something like this, and if they pull it off, this game may be of interest to you.  But I must warn you, the lore looks cringe worthy.  We'll see on release, though.  

Edited by Pasidon, 30 September 2014 - 04:50 AM.

#2 Irenë Hawnetyne

Irenë Hawnetyne

-

• Hosted
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 02:50 PM

From everything I've seen thus far, it looks like it could be a great game... but the story looks like it's going to be Christ weeping on a stone pillow.  Goodness sake... it looks like a hideous plot.  If you don't like Tolkien's works being butchered by Warner Brothers, then you may want to steer clear of this.

To be honest, I've gotten past the whole thing about lore-modification. So I'm looking forward to it regardless of that, if the gameplay lives up to 2014 expectations.

"Everyone's a hero when there's nowhere left to run."

Auxiliary Skarn, 2333rd Cohort

#3 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Leader

Posted 30 September 2014 - 03:07 PM

That's a gentle word, there. 'Modification'.

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#4 Bashkuga

Bashkuga

Because good guys are too mainstream

• Project Team
  • 2,039 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring Betatester and Mapper, Edain Mod Betatester
  •  Out of the frying pan, and into the fire..

Posted 30 September 2014 - 08:37 PM

Rape would be a better description, but I'll probably buy the game when it get's cheaper on ps store.

#5 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 30 September 2014 - 09:22 PM

Yea, get this game when it goes on sale.  I've been watching quite a bit of coverage of the game today, and it seems my predictions came true.  The free-flow combat is quite fantastic.  Yet, that's all there really is.  If you wanted something other than mass murdering of orcs, then maybe you found the wrong game.  But for 10-15 dollars... yea.  That's quite the fair price for this.  Because being very honest, you're not going to get much out of the game other than that.  Not lore, not story, not much of anything besides screwing with orcs by playing around with their minds, lives and politics like a god.  

#6 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts
  • Projects:The 4th Age
  •  The very worst T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 02 July 2015 - 12:18 AM

So I finally got around to playing this game. I bought it at 50% sale on Steam sometime this spring, and I have to say it was money well spent. The gameplay is really fun. The hierarchy\nemesis system works really good, and it's nice to have randomly generated captains and war-chiefs with different personalities, gear, weaknesses\fears and strengths. While one might be possible to insta-kill by using a stealth kill, another might be immune to stealth kill, ranged attacks and combat execution (basically, hit-streak then dual press buttons for instant kill), and are thus tough bastards to eliminate. At the same time, he might be a wimp when it comes to (Mogai?) bees, so shooting a beehive(?) nearby might scare him so much that he flees, making fighting him much easier (unless you let him slip away). The combat is very fluid, and is more fun than the Batman games (mostly because you don't need to fistfight until the enemy's knocked out). Stealth works good too, and movement in general feels much better than Assassin's Creed. Climbing is a delight!

While the lore is basically torn apart, it's still an alright presentation. Some weird things though, to be expected. There weren't any wargs or trolls in the game, but Caragors and Graugs. The problem isn't exactly that they invented new creatures, but that they still reference wargs and trolls in the in-game lore. Roughly: "Caragors are larger and stronger than wargs, and is known to scare wargs and lions away, while the Graug is so frightening that it scares away trolls." The only reasonable explanation for this is that both Caragors and Graugs attack everyone in the game. Likely they're there to avoid people going all "but wargs and trolls fought for Saruman and Sauron!" Also, I still don't, after 32 hours of playtime, know if there are any "normal" orcs in the game, because everyone is referenced as an uruk...

I brand this game really recommended.

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

The 4th Age version 0.8 has been released: Link

#7 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 02 July 2015 - 12:32 AM

Yea... I almost picked it up in the sales, but there were better games for my money.  It should drop down to like 5 bucks here soon... WB is usually pretty good when it comes to making reasonable prices... eventually.  Arkham Knight not included in that statement.

#8 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 09:33 AM

but there were better games for my money.

Until you play the game, that's a bold statement. Unless you base it on reviews, which makes it a silly notion.

What do you mean, nitpicking?

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

#9 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 02 July 2015 - 10:16 AM

I've already watched the entire game, so I know how much I would enjoy it.  But yea... reviews are silly.

And what do I mean about the price thing?  Well, WB has been good with dropping the prices of their Batman games to super cheep prices.  Sometimes publishers have like bare-minimum limits when it comes to sales, and WB has even dropped Origins down to 5 bucks after about a year, so I imagine one random day, SoM will be like 5 bucks.  But Arkham Knight... that is some serious unethical marketing crap with their DLC.  Like the game got taken off of steam, but they still sell their 30 dollar season passes.  I question if their generosity is running dry, with business practices like that.

#10 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 12:51 PM

I got the first two Arkham games in a WB Humble Bundle, and Origins with my graphics card, so yeah, I've gotten them pretty cheap. That said, I wasn't asking about the price thing, but was merely making a jest in regards to me nitpicking on your claim that you know the value of games before you technically play them. After all, you can't decide the value of it until after you've actually played it, but you can decide the value you're willing to pay for it, which is a jack of all kinds of reasons. Like watching the entire game (not my cup of tea, a couple of hours of gameplay is a max for me), looking at other games from the same company (not fireproof, Arkham Knight for PC being the best case, even though it was outsourced), and anything you want really, rational or otherwise.

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

#11 Elrond99

Elrond99

title available

• Hosted
  • 464 posts
  • Projects:None at the moment
  •  Modder without work and time :-S

Posted 13 December 2015 - 02:33 PM

Soo, this game might actually be modable, though it seems like a pain

http://forum.xentax....hp?f=10&t=12035

Since the combat system isn't too bad and once some stuff is removed (like last chance, using healing herbs in combat and some of the overpowered wraith abilities) it could actually be great, the real question is, does is allow modding beyond small changes - like is changing the world, story and characters possible

#12 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Leader

Posted 13 December 2015 - 04:44 PM

It's funny how one of the last posts in that thread is Thrandy asking for Shadow of Mordor models that he later claimed he'd made himself.

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#13 Bashkuga

Bashkuga

Because good guys are too mainstream

• Project Team
  • 2,039 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring Betatester and Mapper, Edain Mod Betatester
  •  Out of the frying pan, and into the fire..

Posted 13 December 2015 - 04:53 PM

It's funny how one of the last posts in that thread is Thrandy asking for Shadow of Mordor models that he later claimed he'd made himself.

Whahahahahaha that's hilarious :lol:!

#14 NewErr

NewErr

Elf-friend

• Project Team
  • 2,177 posts
  • Projects:Wars of The Firstborn
  •  World Wide Artist

Posted 16 December 2015 - 07:20 AM

Well people that I've talked with said they were interested in playing the game and the ones that already played it said it's good so I guess it's purpose was reached. I honestly did not expect to be that popular since LOTR games don't get that much attention nowdays, specially for non-fans, probably was the Nemesis system and the Assassin's Creed parkour style. Decided to go play it again when my new gaming rigg arrives with all those DLCs and all, really looking foreword kicking Sauron's ass with non-ghost Celebrimbor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users