Photo

unable to launch zero hour

Best Answer ryandonovan87, 03 January 2015 - 09:56 AM

Unistalling bitdefender works. Its a shame but. You just have to reinstall it after playing. Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 ryandonovan87

ryandonovan87
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 10:47 AM

Some systems don't seem to like that installer, so you can try this: http://www.microsoft...ls.aspx?id=8109

once I dl it, where do I extract the files?

#22 Plokite_Wolf

Plokite_Wolf

File hoarder

• Members
  • 2,294 posts
  •  Parce mihi, Domine, quia Dalmata sum.

Posted 29 December 2014 - 03:27 PM

Wherever you want. Then run Setup.exe (or DXSetup.exe).

Administrator of CNCNZ.com and EVA Database, the C&C Wiki

You are also welcome to make use of my archives of official files:

C&C File Archive | BFME File Archive | Dune File Archive

#23 xezon

xezon

GenTool Developer

• Project Team
  • 762 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 10:28 PM

Try installing DirectX 9. It is backwards compatible with DirectX 8; Microsoft Download.

Please don't install DirectX 9.0c on Windows 7 in the year 2014 / 2015 :D It has been included in Windows as standard long ago.

Please check this FAQ:

http://www.gamerepla...ool&tab=8280900

Gain access to CNC Online servers by using GenTool for Generals and Zero Hour.

http://www.gentool.net/

"GenTool provides enhanced game controls and optimizations to maximize your online gaming experience. Additionally it comes with three anti cheat solutions for Generals and Zero Hour. The program is easy to install and is fully functional with C&C Generals 1.8, C&C Generals Zero Hour 1.04, Generals Deluxe Edition, The First Decade and The Ultimate Collection."

#24 Plokite_Wolf

Plokite_Wolf

File hoarder

• Members
  • 2,294 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 12:58 PM

Please don't install DirectX 9.0c on Windows 7 in the year 2014 / 2015 :D It has been included in Windows as standard long ago.

Please check this FAQ:

It hasn't. On two fresh installations of Win7 and Win8.1, I've seen total absence of DX9.0c.

#25 xezon

xezon

GenTool Developer

• Project Team
  • 762 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 05:34 PM

Please check this FAQ:

It hasn't. On two fresh installations of Win7 and Win8.1, I've seen total absence of DX9.0c.

It is hidden from your eyes. But it is there.

"GenTool provides enhanced game controls and optimizations to maximize your online gaming experience. Additionally it comes with three anti cheat solutions for Generals and Zero Hour. The program is easy to install and is fully functional with C&C Generals 1.8, C&C Generals Zero Hour 1.04, Generals Deluxe Edition, The First Decade and The Ultimate Collection."

#26 Plokite_Wolf

Plokite_Wolf

File hoarder

• Members
  • 2,294 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 08:10 PM

It isn't. I tried to run Zero Hour on my brother's laptop which is running Win8.1. I did everything by the book, but it failed to run. Then I installed DX9, it runs as it should.

The same happened when I did a 100% fresh install of Win7 on my own laptop (it came without an OS). TW didn't want to run until I installed DX9 manually.

Edited by Plokite_Wolf, 30 December 2014 - 08:10 PM.

#27 wm79

wm79
  • New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 08:37 PM

How do I launch Gentool then? I updated CNC-Online and then I downloaded Gentool. How do I launch the game then?

#28 Plokite_Wolf

Plokite_Wolf

File hoarder

• Members
  • 2,294 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 09:02 PM

If you have GenTool installed, just run Generals/Zero Hour through their normal shortcuts. Don't use the C&C:Online launcher for those two titles. And don't hijack other people's threads.

#29 xezon

xezon

GenTool Developer

• Project Team
  • 762 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 09:59 PM

It isn't. I tried to run Zero Hour on my brother's laptop which is running Win8.1. I did everything by the book, but it failed to run. Then I installed DX9, it runs as it should.

The same happened when I did a 100% fresh install of Win7 on my own laptop (it came without an OS). TW didn't want to run until I installed DX9 manually.

It is. If you open system32/syswow64 dir on fresh windows install you will see d3d8.dll. In doubt double check dxdiag.exe. It may be possible that the game wants to be run in comp mode. It may be possible the game looks for another rev of dx 9 and the game does not ship with it.

#30 Plokite_Wolf

Plokite_Wolf

File hoarder

• Members
  • 2,294 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 10:50 PM

It is. If you open system32/syswow64 dir on fresh windows install you will see d3d8.dll. In doubt double check dxdiag.exe. It may be possible that the game wants to be run in comp mode. It may be possible the game looks for another rev of dx 9 and the game does not ship with it.

You think I wouldn't think of compatibility mode after mentioning it this much? ;)

#31 ryandonovan87

ryandonovan87
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 03:19 AM

just for lols I had the game working, then everyone told me get GT get GT get gentool you're a hacker. So I downloaded it... now it won't work.

I think if you don't have gentool then its fine without getting the direct x bullshit. The game was temperamental to open. Sometimes it'd just think about running then time out. Then you run generals and it'd work then you exit and then try zh and it'll work once, but then not the second time.

But now I've got gentool installed to stop being such a hacker... and then game won't launch.

Good times. 

Good luck solving it. I can't.

#32 ryandonovan87

ryandonovan87
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 03:30 AM

I dl that direct x and installed it. Didn't solve.

ZH loading screen pops up, then an error saying the game is corrupt and won't launch follwed by the "install direct x9" message.
Fucking yay.

#33 xezon

xezon

GenTool Developer

• Project Team
  • 762 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 05:46 PM

#34 ryandonovan87

ryandonovan87
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 06:41 PM

is that support?

#35 ryandonovan87

ryandonovan87
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 07:42 PM

xezon... I can get the game working without gentool, As soon I download it and then try play zero hour, it won't launch. Can you help? First error says the file is corrupt, the second says that direct x isn't up to date. 

What is gentool doing to the directory to change the settings when the game is launched?

#36 xezon

xezon

GenTool Developer

• Project Team
  • 762 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 11:49 AM

is that support?

Yes.

#37 ryandonovan87

ryandonovan87
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 06:16 PM

Q. Why does my game crash on start?A. If the game quits with a "Technical Difficulties" error, then install the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x86). If you use Origin, then disable Origin > Application Settings > Origin In Game > Enable Origin In Game. If the game quits with a "DirectX 8.1" or "File corruped" error, then remove software that messes with debugging features, such as BitDefender, AVG AntiVirus and similar software. On Windows Vista and higher you can also try to lower the User Account Control (UAC) setting.

...when you say "remove software that messes with debugging" can you toggle those programs on and off or do literally need to uninstall them.. cos bitdefender is a solid program

#38 ryandonovan87

ryandonovan87
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 09:56 AM   Best Answer

Unistalling bitdefender works. Its a shame but. You just have to reinstall it after playing.

#39 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Leader

Posted 03 January 2015 - 12:40 PM

Bitdefender is an awful program. You're better off leaving it uninstalled and getting something decent.

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#40 xezon

xezon

GenTool Developer

• Project Team
  • 762 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 12:25 AM

...when you say "remove software that messes with debugging" can you toggle those programs on and off or do literally need to uninstall them.. cos bitdefender is a solid program

BitDefender is so solid that it blocks GenTool for no solid reason.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users