• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Lennon

Lennon
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 05:58 PM

Hi

So, anyone played the Deeping Wall map? I forgot who made it, but whoever made it did a great job at it. If no one's played I'll sum it up: the map basically just consists of Helms Deep's deeping wall and you have troops stationed there (including heroes), wave after wave you have to defend the deeping wall from Isengard. It's an intense map and a hell lot of fun.

Anyway, I've started on a map very similar to this but a Minas Tirith version instead, consisting of just the ground wall of Minas Tirith. The reason I'm posting this thread is so I can get help from you guys, I need some ideas of the type of scripts I should include (i'm not an expert at it but I have experience, but if you guys could post some examples of scripts I could use, I would appreciate it), mapping, how the map works, etc. The object of the map is basically gonna be to defend Minas Tirith, Mordor will be sending siege towers to get onto the walls, catapults, etc. and a lot of troops. You have the ability to recruit troops aswell and the command point limit will be set to something high. I'm not sure what the conditions should be for how to lose the game, but it will probably be something like certain buildings being destroyed and whatnot - OR GIVE ME YOUR SUGGESTIONS?

Here's Minas Tirith so far. I've scaled the walls and gates to 1.40 so it all looks more realistic and big compared to the units. 

t4cE2DQ.jpg

So, what do you think? What could I add? I'm not the best when it comes to mapping and I've still got a lot to work on. I've done pretty much everything, all I have to do is start adding the minor details to the map such as objects making the city look more life like and realistic. On a side note: yes there are troops on the second floor but it is impossible to get on top of there and the whole battle will be taking place at the bottom. 

I'm good when it comes to making videos in Worldbuilder so expect some cool footage and whatnot, the only issue I have is skyboxes and scripting them to work. Can someone point me to a script on how I could make a skybox actually work?

send me in your thoughts and ideas, the map will of course be released once complete. However, I'm really busy and don't have much time to work on this project sometimes and so, it might not be completed anytime soon. You can't rush perfection, right lol?

#2 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Leader

Posted 12 January 2015 - 06:25 PM

I always wanted to see a Minas Tirith map scripted like the books; with the Witch-king challenging Gandalf after Grond breaks the gate, etc.

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#3 Dúnedain76

Dúnedain76

Misty Mountain Hop

• Division Admins
  • 451 posts
  •  Mapper, Artist, Coder
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:The3rdAge Admin

Posted 12 January 2015 - 07:34 PM

If you want to make it look as it does in the movies, the main courtyard is sandy colored gravel.

6M2kQZu.jpg

Also the main gate is structured a bit different with taller towers and such.

Jpft4bl.jpg

My suggestion would be to have the losing condition being no troops left and/or Gandalf was killed. At a certain point I'd suggest bringing in the Grond and the Witch King (Mathijs  :shiftee: ) and have it breach the gate.

Edited by Dúnedain Ranger76, 12 January 2015 - 07:34 PM.

#4 Lennon

Lennon
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 10:55 AM

If you want to make it look as it does in the movies, the main courtyard is sandy colored gravel.

6M2kQZu.jpg

Also the main gate is structured a bit different with taller towers and such.

Jpft4bl.jpg

My suggestion would be to have the losing condition being no troops left and/or Gandalf was killed. At a certain point I'd suggest bringing in the Grond and the Witch King (Mathijs  :shiftee: ) and have it breach the gate.

Hi

Thanks for the suggestion and yeah, I want to try make it look as much as the movie, so I'll make some changes the main gate and the courtyard. Minas Tirith has got a lot of narrow alleways and the buildings are all close to each other, so I think I'll have to change the structure of a lot of the buildings to make more narrow alleyways. I'll change the courtyard aswell, I was basing it off the EA map hence why I added grass to it. But, I will change it. I will also make the courtyard look more like a courtyard, making it look "boxed" in I guess like in the movies.

AND YES I am going to bring in Grond. I've made the courtyard big and all I need to do is box it in more (there will still be alleyways to get out of it). A large part of the battle will be fought in the courtyard, perhaps one of the objectives will be to hold the courtyard for as long as possible or something. I am going to try make it look as similar to the movie as possible.

I may not be able to squeeze in the bit where the Witch King challenges the Gandalf since that happened on the upper floors of Minas Tirith and my map is just a small section of the first floor, but we'll see where it goes. 

#5 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

LEGO Knight of Minas Ithil

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  • Projects:Mapping this Middle-earth
  •  Mapper
  • Job:T3A Staff

Posted 13 January 2015 - 11:29 AM

Read The Return of the King, chapter 4, The Siege of Gondor. What the others are telling you is that the movie got it wrong and that the actual story will make a better map. =D

Remember that all worlds draw to an end and that noble death is a treasure which no one is too poor to buy. - C.S. Lewis

There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning. - Louis L'Amour

What will matter then will be people. If relationships will matter most then, shouldn't they matter most now? - Max Lucado

#6 Lennon

Lennon
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 12:08 PM

Read The Return of the King, chapter 4, The Siege of Gondor. What the others are telling you is that the movie got it wrong and that the actual story will make a better map. =D

I never managed to finish reading the Return of the King, finished The Hobbit, Fellowship of the Ring and the Two Towers though. I will take a look. 

But, I think I prefer staying with the film concept because everyone is more familiar with it and everyone's been making maps based on the films. But, I'll take a look regardless, thanks dude.

#7 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

LEGO Knight of Minas Ithil

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  • Projects:Mapping this Middle-earth
  •  Mapper
  • Job:T3A Staff

Posted 13 January 2015 - 12:39 PM

But as they and I are saying - make it unique and better! =D

I'm really looking forward to the cinematics and gameplay regardless of what route you take. =D

Edited by MattTheLegoman, 13 January 2015 - 12:41 PM.

Remember that all worlds draw to an end and that noble death is a treasure which no one is too poor to buy. - C.S. Lewis

There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning. - Louis L'Amour

What will matter then will be people. If relationships will matter most then, shouldn't they matter most now? - Max Lucado

#8 Lennon

Lennon
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 09:20 PM

Hi again.

So the introductory cinematic is basically units running to their posts and running about the place, I think I should add some civilians aswell. Here's some screenshots:

X909R8D.jpg

7n2A93X.jpg

aj56TuD.jpg

The cinematic looks much better in-game, screenshots are crappy. I also have to add a skybox, but I fear that when I do add a skybox cinematics are usually a bit laggy, or that might just be an issue with me idk if it happens to everyone else.

I also need some help regarding troops climbing the siege tower. What is the best or most effective script I should use... so I send in siege towers first and while they're approaching the wall troops spawn from a distance and will charge for the siege towers. During this I set the troops team to attack the archers on the wall team. But the issue with this is that the orcs are kinda unresponsive, only some sometimes climb and sometimes they don't, sometimes they just stand still awkwardly while being hammered by catapults. Should I use a different script in which I send the troops to attach in a certain area? Is that more effective? What is the best way I could use?

#9 Rider of Rohan

Rider of Rohan

The Lazy Modder

• Division Leaders
  • 1,555 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring and the HD Editions
  •  Mathijs' Bug fix expert
  • Job:T3A Leader

Posted 14 January 2015 - 10:07 PM

For adding Skyboxes to the map perhaps you can check : http://www.the3rdage...tem-164?addview

99dxc486ltde132zg.jpgh5je9noaofg3o26zg.jpg

No parent should have to bury their child - King Theoden

#10 -SilverBane-

-SilverBane-

Inactive Noob

• Project Team
  • 474 posts
  • Projects:Life
  •  Mapper & Coder

Posted 15 January 2015 - 09:22 AM

For units climbing siege tower, use attack move to a location, with waypoint or waypoint paths, depending on where you want them to go.

2qm3dd5.jpg

#11 Lennon

Lennon
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 01:25 PM

For units climbing siege tower, use attack move to a location, with waypoint or waypoint paths, depending on where you want them to go.

Thanks dude, I'll give that a shot and see how the orc fighters respond.

#12 Lennon

Lennon
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 06:49 PM

Thanks @ -SilverBane-, that worked much better. It's hard to make it so that the units immediately climb the siege tower but by making them follow a waypoint path and then going into attack mode when they reach the tower is more effective. 

Also, I have a question. When a siege tower attaches itself to the wall the archers and other soldiers will have the tendency to attack them (despite me setting their HP really high so they don't get destroyed) and ignore the orcs attacking them leading them to get wiped out too quickly. After they have attached and I set the siege towers team to the civilian team or creepers for example, will player's 2 (AI Mordor) still be able to climb the siege towers or nah? If they could that would be great because that means the archers won't get distracted by the walls. 

I've also added the skybox.

I've made some health adjustments to several units. The archers you will be starting off with already positioned on the walls have got their HP set to around 300% (they will die slightly less quickly), I did this because after testing out the map with several waves of attackers I noticed that the archers on the wall get wiped out wayyy too quickly by goblin archers attacking but now it's been made more stable. I've also decreased the HP of a lot of the orcs with their HP varying from 15-100% to make the game more equal.

What I have to do now is add in some more waves of attackers, add scripts so orcs are consistently respawning so there's a continuos battle going on. And perhaps my favourite bit, to add Grond. I plan on doing it just like the film > the player will be given maybe 15 or so minutes before Grond arrives at the gate (they will be displayed a timer), so during that time they will have a lot of time to build a good amount of units to send down to the courtyard. Also during that time the map will slowly be turning into night fall. I will play a cinematic as the main gate reaches X amount of HP so it captures the gate being destroyed. As soon as the gate comes down three of them trolls like we saw in the film will come storming in along with a shitload of orcs. It's gonna be a hell load of fun lol. 

Edited by Lennon, 15 January 2015 - 06:50 PM.

#13 Bashkuga

Bashkuga

Because good guys are too mainstream

• Project Team
  • 2,039 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring Betatester and Mapper, Edain Mod Betatester
  •  Out of the frying pan, and into the fire..

Posted 15 January 2015 - 07:26 PM

Hahaha sounds awesome! Best of luck to you!

#14 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 07:33 PM

This sounds great. I'm looking forward to playing it.

#15 GhostOfDurin

GhostOfDurin
  • Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 09:01 PM

this is for bfme 1, correct? if so I will definitely be playing.

#16 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 09:03 PM

Nah, it's for BFME2. Look at the normal maps on some of the structures.

#17 -SilverBane-

-SilverBane-

Inactive Noob

• Project Team
  • 474 posts
  • Projects:Life
  •  Mapper & Coder

Posted 17 January 2015 - 08:31 AM

Also, I have a question. When a siege tower attaches itself to the wall the archers and other soldiers will have the tendency to attack them (despite me setting their HP really high so they don't get destroyed) and ignore the orcs attacking them leading them to get wiped out too quickly. After they have attached and I set the siege towers team to the civilian team or creepers for example, will player's 2 (AI Mordor) still be able to climb the siege towers or nah? If they could that would be great because that means the archers won't get distracted by the walls. 

One option would be to edit siege tower's armor to make it immune to arrows. That would make archers attack only units. But this involves map.ini and I have no idea if you know how to do it or not.

2qm3dd5.jpg

#18 Lennon

Lennon
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 12:13 PM

One option would be to edit siege tower's armor to make it immune to arrows. That would make archers attack only units. But this involves map.ini and I have no idea if you know how to do it or not.

Damn, I know how to use map.ini and am using for this map but idk exactly how to make the towers immune to arrows

#19 Rider of Rohan

Rider of Rohan

The Lazy Modder

• Division Leaders
  • 1,555 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring and the HD Editions
  •  Mathijs' Bug fix expert
  • Job:T3A Leader

Posted 17 January 2015 - 03:55 PM

It would require you to change the armor settings of the siege tower :

This is the default armor

Armor SiegeTowerArmor
  Armor = DEFAULT          50%  ;default/unspecified attack
  Armor = CRUSH           1%  ; trample attack
  Armor = SLASH           100%  ;soldier attack
  Armor = SIEGE          100%     ;war machine attack
  Armor = STRUCTURAL      10%       ;Structural damage (Ent rocks)
  Armor = FLAME            50%        ;10%     ; ; 100 ; fire damage
  Armor = PIERCE            25%     ;archer damage 
  Armor = HERO           200%     ;hero damage
  Armor = MAGIC          30%     ;hero magic damage; ; 100
  Armor = HERO_RANGED       100%     ;Hero bow damage     
End

Add that into your map.ini and change Pierce to 1% and you could also tone down the other settings to your liking.

99dxc486ltde132zg.jpgh5je9noaofg3o26zg.jpg

No parent should have to bury their child - King Theoden

#20 Lennon

Lennon
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 10:38 PM

It would require you to change the armor settings of the siege tower :

This is the default armor

Armor SiegeTowerArmor
  Armor = DEFAULT          50%  ;default/unspecified attack
  Armor = CRUSH           1%  ; trample attack
  Armor = SLASH           100%  ;soldier attack
  Armor = SIEGE          100%     ;war machine attack
  Armor = STRUCTURAL      10%       ;Structural damage (Ent rocks)
  Armor = FLAME            50%        ;10%     ; ; 100 ; fire damage
  Armor = PIERCE            25%     ;archer damage 
  Armor = HERO           200%     ;hero damage
  Armor = MAGIC          30%     ;hero magic damage; ; 100
  Armor = HERO_RANGED       100%     ;Hero bow damage     
End

Add that into your map.ini and change Pierce to 1% and you could also tone down the other settings to your liking.

Thanks, but regardless of this the archers continue going for the siege towers despite them not losing any HP lol.

Anyone got a way to prevent archers from attacking the siege towers? It's not just the archers, its ever unit lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users