Photo

Mental Omega News Bulletin #11 (16/02/2015)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Speeder

Speeder

#ControlMOre

• Hosted
  • 8,982 posts
  • Projects:Mental Omega
  •  Mental Omega Creator

Posted 14 February 2015 - 07:23 PM

Great news for Red Alert 2 & Yuri's Revenge modders! Ares 0.9 has been released! AlexB delivers more superweapon customization including better AI support, inhibitors, and multiple SWs on a single building or upgrade, more than 8 facings for SHP based units and weapon muzzle flashes, as well as animated rotating projectiles. So my only question is: why aren't you modding the game yet?

I do not recommend upgrading from Ares 0.4 to any newer version for Mental Omega 3.0 BR1, especially if you are planning to continue playing multiplayer. Some tags for the Ares features have changed in the meantime and of course using a different Ares version than other players online will result in a desynchronization. A new Ares version will be officially supported with the next release.

areseagle.png

It seems a Mental Omega fan has started a TVTropes page for the mod and several more have already contributed. If you are familiar with the tropes, feel free to expand the article for others to read. I must say I am surprised at how accurate and spot-on the information is in all of the sections available so far, and that's including the YMMV one.

lampshade-logo-smooth-slightly-bigger-RF

Now before you give the Mental Omega page a (long) read I suggest you take a look at what we've been working on recently.

news_mission.png

So at the beginning of post-BR1 development I thought we wouldn't have too many new cooperative missions for the next release but Sandman is proving me wrong as he has prepared his third cooperative map so far and there are several others coming from other mission scripters. Perhaps I'll have a go at another coop myself in the near future. If there's anything you'd like to see in a cooperative mission be sure to leave us a comment!

Co-op Mission: Balance of Power

coop_bop1sm.jpg coop_bop2sm.jpg

The amount of Battleships under Allied control during the war with the Soviets was limited, but enhanced production of these powerful units has been started in order to dominate the Soviets in naval combat. Unfortunately, the Soviets managed to gain the upper hand and drive the Euro Alliance to the British Isles before the plan was fully realized.

Furthermore, the Soviets were able to capture one of the Allied ports where more Battleships were being produced and commandeered the local units. With Battleships supporting their Dreadnoughts, they might just be able to break through the Allied defenses surrounding the Great Britain. It's up to you and a fellow Allied commander to make sure those Battleships don't stay in Soviet hands.

news_workshop.png

So as you might have noticed in the last news bulletin that there was a new structure on the '(2)' Steadfast' map preview and today's '(8) Icy Trinity'. That new building is the Tech Nuclear Plant created by Nooze, which provides 1000 power units on capture but explodes almost just as violently as the Soviet Nuclear Reactor. 

item_technuclear.jpg

news_maps.png

news_maps_preview_160215.jpg
Map Preview #32: (2) Dune Patrol II (desert; standard map pool) by Toveena
Map Preview #33: (4) Double Patrol (desert; standard map pool) by Toveena
Map Preview #34: (8) Icy Trinity (snow; standard map pool) by Toveena

So Toveena kept insisting that '(2) Dune Patrol' is still possibly one of the most popular maps in Mental Omega 3.0 so he got the bright idea to adjust its "axis" by 90 degrees and also make a double version of it afterwards as well. '(2) Dune Patrol II' and '(4) Double Patrol' are both extensions of the well-executed idea from the vanilla game and we have high expectations for these maps to also become popular among players who strive to play Mental Omega in a more competitive manner.

Looking at the list of maps we have previewed, it appears that '(8) Icy Trinity' is actually the first new 8-player map we're showing. It is a large map with plenty of neutral tech structures and resources at locations tricky to hold and defend. As you can see, harvesters at any of the ore or gem fields are vulnerable to fire from the cliffs above so better be careful and make sure those cliffs are under your control. There's also several Tech Base Expansion Posts for players to fight for.

news_match.png

Here's a nice team game on one of the most popular maps in MO, '(4) Double Malice'.

UprisingJC & Ultra7 vs ShadowE & LibraPalm

on '(4) Double Malice'

news_contribute.png

item_voiceovers.jpg

If you'd like to help develop Mental Omega further, write an e-mail to mental.omega.apyr@gmail.com
Right now we're in need of additional Voxel Artists, 3D Artists, Mission Scripters and Voice Actors.
Single contributions are welcome. 

news_follow.png
bt_left.pngbt_fb.pngbt_yt.pngbt_tw.pngbt_md.pngbt_ds.pngbt_tch.pngbt_right.png
controlmore.png

Edited by Speeder, 17 February 2015 - 12:54 AM.

mainbanner.jpg
bt_left.pngbt_fb.pngbt_yt.pngbt_tw.pngbt_md.pngbt_right.png
115776.png

#2 MrFreeze777

MrFreeze777
  • Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 06:56 AM

TVTropes has a 2 misleading errors in info so any one with a TVTropes account feel free to correct and edit them:

The Allies are generally Balanced with the USA being slightly more of a Powerhouse, and the Pacific Front being more Subversive while the Euro Alliance remaining fully Balanced.

The USA is the more Subversive subfation because they rely on speed and accuracy for early game harrasment to be effective while the Pacific Front is the Powerhouse subfaction due to being the slowest and having strongest armor especially in the the late game where their tier is 3 is powerful.

The Tesla Tank (not called the Tesla Cruiser) takes the Apocalypse tank's place as Russia's most powerful tank.

Definitely a typo, replace the 't' from "not" with a 'w' so it is "now called the Tesla Cruiser".

Also I caught something that suprised me  :ohmy: :

It's also a running joke among the devteam to point out that an ex-member also considers 1.2 better over the other two. Just because 1.2 had no missions.

When I looked at the names of the Mentalmeisters staff from the Credits section of the MO homepage, I noticed someone missing and I remember that someone made a comment like that some time ago. :shiftee:   

I'm not gonna say the person's name but I didn't know he left the devteam. :huh:  

Edited by MrFreeze777, 18 February 2015 - 07:23 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users