Fundraiser: MaryJo needs your help to GTFO of Venezuela

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 MaryJo

MaryJo

The life, the Universe and Everything

• Hosted
  • 522 posts
  •  why does everyone has more posts than me? spamwhores!

Posted 23 November 2017 - 02:52 PM

Before I post this, I'd like to thank Phil for allowing me to post this and I hope this doesn't attract some sort of heated debate as I only post this out of dire need.

What happened?

As you may know, Venezuela has been going through a horrendous Political instability due to mismanagement of oil industry and all around corruption which has led us to the highest inflation rate ever, only coupled with crime rate (I myself got stabbed a few months ago to get robbed in broad daylight) and shortages in food.

A few friends attempted to get me into the US by legal means but rocky relationships between both countries which can all be blamed by the government on this side of the map made it impossible. Visa appointments stopped over here by the US government which prevented the most important piece of document from being delivered to me and our government here continues to make it more difficult to leave.

I cannot enter the US legally and so my plan is to redirect my attention and destination to Colombia, which is hours from here. I already have my passport and my border pass.

What is the plan?

My plan is to travel to Medellin, rent and food is relatively cheap and there is a good job market. I worked as an English tutor and so getting a job there is a more realistic opportunity than working here for less than 9$ a month. Colombia has made it easier for us Venezuelans to immigrate so I want to take that chance and change my life for the better.

There have been days where I’ve been unable to provide food for my own mother and that makes me feel like garbage; it's something I want to change

What is the budget?

For the whole travel, housing and food I need approximately another 800$ to complete the journey. That is more than enough to support myself for a couple of months until I can get myself a job and start getting back on my feet and help my family.

Due to issues about Gofundme or other systems, plus our government attempting to seize control of any transaction regarding US dollars, or even arresting individuals dealing in said currency, PayPal and Amazon Giftcards can and are the only way in which a donation can be accepted.

Why Amazon and PayPal?

They are untraceable by the goverment and present little risk of me being arrested.

For Amazon GC the email is:

joanna_reed22@hotmail.com

For PayPal:

kanturucore@gmail.com
I can post Proof of purchases for this trip because I can understand not using a site like that can be tricky, thank you everyone

Current Progress: 152,53$ ====> 800$

Edited by MaryJo, 17 January 2018 - 11:17 AM.

#2 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  • Projects:Writing Words With Letters
  •  I Help
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Community Admin

Posted 24 November 2017 - 12:12 AM

We already debated everything possible, so you're good.

Wow.  What a story.  Yea, you really do need to get out of there.  Is Medellin really the best place to go, though?  Columbia doesn't sound entirely pleasant   Probably better than America, to be fair.

I can post your stuff on our FB page again when I get the chance. 

#3 OmegaBolt

OmegaBolt

Lost In The New Real

• Hosted
  • 6,273 posts
  • Projects:Red-Resurrection
  •  O'Bolt

Posted 27 November 2017 - 03:02 AM

Wow, that's horrible. Are you OK after being stabbed? I mean recovering and getting treatment etc.

I think at least starting in Colombia would be better than the situation now, she wouldn't have to stay there forever.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#4 MaryJo

MaryJo

• Hosted
  • 522 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 12:38 PM

We already debated everything possible, so you're good.

Wow.  What a story.  Yea, you really do need to get out of there.  Is Medellin really the best place to go, though?  Columbia doesn't sound entirely pleasant   Probably better than America, to be fair.

I can post your stuff on our FB page again when I get the chance. 

Yes, Medellin is a good city to live in, relatively safe (a heaven compared to Venezuela) and thanks, I appreciate all the help I can get

Wow, that's horrible. Are you OK after being stabbed? I mean recovering and getting treatment etc.

I think at least starting in Colombia would be better than the situation now, she wouldn't have to stay there forever.

Yes, they stabbed me in the arm, it wasn't fun being stabbed by a scrawny kid. As for living in Colombia, I want to get there because it's easier for us and they help Venezuelans, eventually I could move to Ecuador where the economy is in $ and it would make it much easier to help my family

Edited by MaryJo, 27 November 2017 - 12:41 PM.

#5 MaryJo

MaryJo

• Hosted
  • 522 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 12:29 PM

Bit of an update, my internet has been super slow. I received 2 donations from a few friends, one of 10 and another one of 25$ from a giftcard he found. They're not on revora but I still update because I used it for the same purpose

Edited by MaryJo, 10 December 2017 - 12:30 PM.

#6 MaryJo

MaryJo

• Hosted
  • 522 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 01:18 PM

happy new year everyone and back for a small update now that my internet is back.

The current amount has been increased to 77,53$. A few friends donated and also a big thanks to Mathijs for his help.

I decided to place my trip to Colombia on hold out of health reasons but to keep this fundraiser going as it is important; I had a surgery to remove some cysts on my ovaries and all seemed fine, recently I had some bleeding and pain so I went to the doctor. A tumor was discovered and it's at risk of becoming cancerous, I need to have a surgery to remove it while there's time so I'm really going to take all the help I can get and I'll update as soon as possible. 

I'm doing all I can to get the funds for the surgery on my own through government institutions but so far all they've said is "the government doesn't have money" (figures)

#7 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 04 January 2018 - 03:05 PM

Good grief.  I don't think any of the donors will be upset if you change the cause into the "keeping myself alive" fund.  I do know there are groups here in the US that give very generous donations to people in dire situations like this all around the world, especially since refugees have had a rough time of it recently.  I'll do some research on that tonight.

#8 isaac103

isaac103

title available

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:28 PM

Any update on the situation? Was this person able to get here safely to the U.S.?

#9 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 13 January 2018 - 01:48 AM

Well, she wasn't planning on going to the US.  She had plans to go to Medellin, Colombia.  But if you read her last post, she's been having medical issues that have delayed her plans, but I am curious of what's going on with that.  

Also Mary, I did contact a relief group to see if they'll lend you any help, but haven't heard anything back yet.  I'll let you know the moment I make any progress, but the majority of the groups I've seen have run out of money due to the sheer amount of people that have needed help due to the increased restrictions to immigration to the US recently.  Dire, but not hopeless.

#10 PurpleGaga27

PurpleGaga27

Retired C&C Modder

• Members
  • 2,185 posts
  •  Media Division Top Contributer

Posted 16 January 2018 - 10:00 PM

I have been watching this thread for a while now and I haven't commented on this until now. Other than Pasidon, I wish if anyone else can help her because I found her story a bit sad.

@MaryJo, have you ever tried GoFundMe? It's one of the best free fundraising platform site on the Internet.

#11 MaryJo

MaryJo

• Hosted
  • 522 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 11:37 AM

I updated the current amount, I received another donation which really helped these past days as I had to take several visits to the doctors

Well, she wasn't planning on going to the US.  She had plans to go to Medellin, Colombia.  But if you read her last post, she's been having medical issues that have delayed her plans, but I am curious of what's going on with that.  

Also Mary, I did contact a relief group to see if they'll lend you any help, but haven't heard anything back yet.  I'll let you know the moment I make any progress, but the majority of the groups I've seen have run out of money due to the sheer amount of people that have needed help due to the increased restrictions to immigration to the US recently.  Dire, but not hopeless.

The tumor has been causing some bleeding, I've required a transfusion recently. Hopefully you get some news from their side. Thanks for taking the time for that!

I have been watching this thread for a while now and I haven't commented on this until now. Other than Pasidon, I wish if anyone else can help her because I found her story a bit sad.

@MaryJo, have you ever tried GoFundMe? It's one of the best free fundraising platform site on the Internet.

When I tried to get into the US, GoFundMe was used but it had to be put to a stop because apparently the person who had to start the fundraiser (gofundme asks for a social security number which is why I can't start one myself) had to pay taxes from it and they also take some percentage of donations.

I was given a budget for the surgery I need and it's 200$ for materials and 150 for the entire operation. It may sound like somewhat small numbers compared to other countries but 200$ is around 28 billion in our currency and minimum wage is extraoffically 6$ a month

#12 PurpleGaga27

PurpleGaga27

Retired C&C Modder

• Members
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 08:25 PM

So you need at least $350 USD for the surgery and $800 USD to get out of Venezuela. Neither Banshee nor I could contribute to this due to financial situations.

Would it be okay if I posted this in Reddit and in another C&C forum to try to get others to help you?

#13 MaryJo

MaryJo

• Hosted
  • 522 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 03:32 AM

So you need at least $350 USD for the surgery and $800 USD to get out of Venezuela. Neither Banshee nor I could contribute to this due to financial situations.

Would it be okay if I posted this in Reddit and in another C&C forum to try to get others to help you?

That would be correct, yes. I've been coming and going to the clinic and othet hospitals and doctors and this isnt easy to deal with,Im currently typing from the clinic, platelets are getting low.

And yes, that would be ok, I appreciate it

#14 PurpleGaga27

PurpleGaga27

Retired C&C Modder

• Members
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 10:15 PM

Someone told me from another forum is that if you have a dire medical condition that is urgent, the restriction to immigrate to the US is exempted based on section 3 c) (v) of Executive Order 13780 (also known as "Trump's travel ban").

Edit: Unfortunately as of now, the US government is being shut down due to a failed budget deal.

Edited by PurpleGaga27, 20 January 2018 - 03:45 AM.

#15 MaryJo

MaryJo

• Hosted
  • 522 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 04:30 PM

Im still at the clinic. Im preparing for another round of treatment because platelets wont go up. So, whoever can donate, if just a bit will help a lot. Also dont know what government shut down implies.

#16 PurpleGaga27

PurpleGaga27

Retired C&C Modder

• Members
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 12:10 AM

A government shut down means that services are cut (meaning closed for business) until those services continue to get funded to operate their business, publicly or private. Besides even Wiki has this more defined explanation: https://en.wikipedia...e_United_States

For example if you want to immigrate to the US during the shutdown, the immigration/custom services are closed for business until funded.

#17 MaryJo

MaryJo

• Hosted
  • 522 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 04:57 AM

before I say more: my name is Francys, I don't speak English and I am using google translation. I am writing on behalf of Maria. Right now she is in ICU waiting to get better, her platelets became very low.. We are praying for her and we are looking for help everywhere to support the time she is there

#18 Banshee

Banshee

One Vision, One Purpose!

• Network Admins
  • 9,045 posts
  • Projects:PPM, PPM: Final Dawn, OS SHP Builder, OS Palette Editor, OS W3D Viewer, VXLSE III, etc...
  •  Retired Network Leader
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Maintenance Admin

Posted 28 January 2018 - 07:28 PM

I hope she recovers as fast as possible.
Project Perfect Mod

Command & Conquer Mods, Mods Support, Public Researchs, Map Archives, Tutorials, Tools, A Friendly Community and much more. Check it out now!

Posted Image

#19 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 28 January 2018 - 09:45 PM

Let Maria know that her Revora family anticipates a full recovery and hopes to see her back soon.

#20 MaryJo

MaryJo

• Hosted
  • 522 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 01:39 AM

We found the money for maria's surgery.. it was successful and she is back in the ICU for the time being.. we need some help in supporting the time in the ICU. Can anyone help? any donation, no matter how small is of great help; the medical bill is at 19.500.000.000 Bolivares. it is around 100$

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users