Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Leader

Posted 14 July 2008 - 03:05 AM

RPG Name: Rogue State
RPG Description: Set in a steampunk-inspired city controlled by an extremist social/communist government, a group of people believe in personal posession and individual wealth, and relentlessly attempt to take from the State and give to themselves in order to experience true freedom.
The common folk of the City are satisfied, being taught from a very early age that the State is absolute, and the only thing that stands between them and utter chaos and anarchy. These folks work day in and out without questioning the State's functionability. The more efficient you work, the more credits you gain. Credits can be spent at stores to receive little extra's in life. Whoever doesn't work effectively gets nothing more then the necessary food and cloth coupons. Housing is completely State-controlled.
However, there's a group of people who've lost their State-IDs, people who have fallen through the nets of the usually flawless System. The Numberless gather in abandoned buildings, always bringing whatever they still possess. Together they live and try to survive, until their hideout is discovered by State officials. Numberless get taken away, and their fate is unknown. Some say they get killed, others say they're put in prison. Most likely though, they are put to work in the very core of the System, never again seeing the very relative freedom given to the rest of the city's denizens.
A few Numberless have begun revolting against this unjustice, they will not accept their government punishing its people for mistakes they couldn't help but make. Having settled in the very outskirts of the immense City, they remained undetected for many months, slowly expanding their wealth by nightly raids on government-controlled stores and warehouses. Indeed, they have built up a realm of individual prosperity. Recently however, government officials have begun appearing near the outskirts of this Rogue State, and their hidden lives are no longer safe of the iron grip of the State. The RP revolves around this group of Numberless, led by the enigmatic Jack Sheppard. (who I will be RPing as.)
These Numberless have gathered under the banner of Liberty, and seek nothing more but the right to live their lives according to their own beliefs, not by those the State wants them to.
RPG Era: Historical, steam-driven society.
RPG Plot: The idea is that Jack Sheppard and a few of his most trusted thieves known as ''The Rogues'' tactically gain ground against the government, ever stating their only wish; freedom from the System, independancy if you will. The plot is about Sheppard's struggles. The Rogues believe in a philosophy which simply states that personal development and enrichment is the most important thing in the world. They go to great lenghts to ensure a good life, free of State doctrines and Numberless poverty and fear. The players will first need to plan and execute raids on specific targets to build up their ''headquarters'' (located in the desolate and abandoned outskirts of the City, remains of a world before the Great Revolution) before it's discovered by the State, and in further chapters defend it from State incursions.
RPG Leader(s): Me and Mike_.

The RP would have an Informational subforum in which you can read up on history, lore and background, a Rogue HQ subforum in which character can be created, and a RP section in which there'll be things like a Story topic in which we plan raids and other things, and execute them. There can be other topics too, about building up the headquarters or other, lesser raids that have little to do with the main storyline.

Edited by Matias, 14 July 2008 - 07:38 PM.

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#2 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts
  •  Weird Guy of the Forums

Posted 14 July 2008 - 08:37 AM

ooooo

interesting idea :D

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" -Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Posted Image|Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 Fire Ze Missiles!

Fire Ze Missiles!

Lord High NukeMaster

• Members
  • 1,200 posts
  • Projects:The Ziggurat generally, Apocalypse in particular.
  •  Refuses to be beaten by Vortigern.

Posted 14 July 2008 - 12:59 PM

What does steam-driven mean?
Also, have the Numberless set up as a separate faction in direct opposition of the government or are they still an underground movement that just has more influence in certain areas of the city?

This sounds awesome. Rather 1984-esque, only better written from what I can see :D
Of course I don't look busy; I did it right the first time.
Ever stop to think and forget to start again?
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.
FZM and Vort don't do tag wrestling...but if they did, they'd probably be the worst tag-wrestlers in the world.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Oh for fuck's sake!

#4 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 01:17 PM

Steam-driven means that you can expect huge railways high above ground, steam-technology such as steam-driven tanks used by the State and other gadgets.

The Numberless are not a faction, the Rogues are. Rogues are in theory Numberless, but they don't accept a fate often suffered by those who lose their number. The Numberless have little influence at all, parts of them have just gathered under the banner of Jack Sheppard and his Numberless Rogue faction.

#5 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts
  • Projects:The Peloponnesian Wars Mod.
  •  There are no heroes, no villains - only decisions.
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Global Moderator

Posted 14 July 2008 - 02:05 PM

I'm game.

#6 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts
  • Projects:Workin'...
  •  ...like a workin' man do.
  • Division:Role-Playing Games
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 14 July 2008 - 03:35 PM

Sounds pretty good. Just to clarify: the Numberless are just people who have lost their ID somewhere along the way, and the Rogues are the underworld faction working to slowly bring down the system. Correct?

Just one more question to put something in my own mind to rest: are the Rogues the good guys or the bad guys here? Do they indiscriminately kill State supporters or do they work to convert them and show them the true path to enlightenment? Are they a motley collection of whoever wasn't quite right in regular society or are they just ordinary blokes who accidentally fell foul of a rubbish system? Is the system actually good enough for most people? Is there any hope that the method of government proposed by the Rogues would actually work in any capacity whatsoever?

Oh, and one other thing: are there steam-powered zeppelins? Because zeppelins are awesome.

Edited by Vortigern, 14 July 2008 - 03:36 PM.

I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#7 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 03:50 PM

Sounds pretty good. Just to clarify: the Numberless are just people who have lost their ID somewhere along the way, and the Rogues are the underworld faction working to slowly bring down the system. Correct?

Just one more question to put something in my own mind to rest: are the Rogues the good guys or the bad guys here? Do they indiscriminately kill State supporters or do they work to convert them and show them the true path to enlightenment? Are they a motley collection of whoever wasn't quite right in regular society or are they just ordinary blokes who accidentally fell foul of a rubbish system? Is the system actually good enough for most people? Is there any hope that the method of government proposed by the Rogues would actually work in any capacity whatsoever?

Oh, and one other thing: are there steam-powered zeppelins? Because zeppelins are awesome.

The Numberless are those who have somehow lost their number, or ID. The Rogues are Numberless just as well, but they strive to better their lives in their own way. They dont seek to bring down the System, they only want the things they think they deserve. Independence is amongst them. They don't mind the System as long as it doesn't meddle with their lives. They are not political really, they just want to live a fuller life.

As such, they do not kill State supporters or State officials, only when this is absolutely necessary to achieve their goals. The Rogues aren't good or bad, they don't have a set morality, they do not seek a better society through revolution. They want to better themselves, and themselves only. Selfish I suppose you could call it, but I like it. :D Hedonistic.

The Numberless are just ordinary people who have been neglected by the State because of various reasons. Rogues are usually Numberless who have opened their eyes (thanks to Jack Sheppard) and now want to take whatever they feel is needed to live their life to the fullest.

The System is good enough for most people, which is why there isn't a revolution about to happen. Most people are satisfied with the things they have, decent food and good clothing, and if they work a bit harder they're capable enough to go out for a drink on friday nights thanks to the Credit-system. Everything is government run, so they really don't lose any profit by allowing citizens these little extra's. Most people are happy because they don't understand a different way of living. State doctrine is taught from a very early age.

And yes, plenty of zeppelins to go around.

Edited by Matias, 14 July 2008 - 03:50 PM.

#8 True Lord of Chaos

True Lord of Chaos

I have returned, mostly out of boredom.

• Members
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 07:11 PM

this sounds interesting, so are we the rebels, or what?

Hello everyone. I am back.

#9 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 07:36 PM

Not rebels, since they don't plan a rebellion. We're the Rogues, yes.

#10 Fire Ze Missiles!

Fire Ze Missiles!

Lord High NukeMaster

• Members
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 07:54 PM

Steam-powered everything...Awesome :D
What's the tech status weaponry wise? Are we on steam guns as a usual thing or is it still more swordy?
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.
FZM and Vort don't do tag wrestling...but if they did, they'd probably be the worst tag-wrestlers in the world.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Oh for fuck's sake!

#11 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 08:08 PM

There's guns, but they aren't as efficient as the guns of this day and age yet. There is still room for swords if you want, but my character will be using a revolver for sure. Perhaps he'll carry some dagger or something, but his primary weapons will consist of revolvers.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Etc.

There's room for more advanced machine guns, but they wouldn't be too accurate, and a bitch to reload. Quick overheating, you get the idea.

#12 Fire Ze Missiles!

Fire Ze Missiles!

Lord High NukeMaster

• Members
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 08:50 PM

That's cool. So the future of rapid fire is more barrels then? :D

Well, I'm definitely in.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Oh for fuck's sake!

#13 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 09:20 PM

Good. Once you guys are ready to set up a subforum or whatever, don't allow topics to be made in there unless they're made by me. I need some time to figure out my exact RP format.

#14 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 09:20 PM

Wonder if that rotary-action elephant gun would be out of the question.. :D

Edited by mike_, 14 July 2008 - 09:21 PM.

#15 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 09:25 PM

Naturally it's not, go ahead and post it up. I forgot the link, that's why I didn't do so myself. :D

I'll set up a topic containing available weaponry and gadgets... naturally participants will be able to customise to their heart's content, so long as it remains within the realm of possibility I'm setting within that topic. The RP be of a rather graphic nature, meaning I will provide pictures of locations we RP in. This is to ensure everyone has roughly the same idea of where we are.

Edited by Matias, 14 July 2008 - 09:29 PM.

#16 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 09:32 PM

Huzzah! ;)

Posted Image

EDIT: Well, to be honest I can't figure out how on earth it would be useful in any mundane situation. But where there's a will, there's a way :D

Edited by mike_, 14 July 2008 - 09:35 PM.

#17 Fire Ze Missiles!

Fire Ze Missiles!

Lord High NukeMaster

• Members
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 09:43 PM

:O
Cool! Someone in the gang should definitely have one of those.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Oh for fuck's sake!

#18 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 09:45 PM

Well, if I end up being part of the Rogues, then I call dibs :D

#19 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 09:59 PM

I've got a good idea for a format...

Basically, the start of the RP will be focused on raids by the Rogues. We will loot warehouses and things like those to bolster our Headquarters' might, and to begin fortifying the abandoned ruins we've taken shelter in. Each raid is planned in a topic called ''Rogue HQ'', and then executed in a topic specifically made for that raid. This way, the story isn't too confining yet, and people can join different raids on different targets. Raids will need to be given the green light by Jack Sheppard, and this is only done when there's more then a single participant. Players will assume the role of a Rogue commander, and are allowed to take a number of fellow (NPC) rogues with them on their raids. This gives the RP a dynamic start.

Then there's a locked topic named ''Sheppard's Diary'' in which I document progress, and write down my concerns and future plans. Participants can use this topic as a kind of guideline to understand where I want the story to go next, but it isn't definitive or confining. Things included in this diary are, as I mentioned before, a documented progression (which new participants may use to quickly know where we are) and things Sheppard fears or is worried about, including things like an increase of State Officials in the area after certain raids.

Whenever I believe the story is far enough for a new chapter, I will post an extensive summary in a topic called ''Sheppard's Legacy'' of the previous chapter, and then write down a speech given by Sheppard to all Rogue Commanders, introducing the next chapter. I will give a 2 days warning when I'm about to end a chapter. After the beginning of a new chapter, participants will be required to adjust the activities they plan in the Rogue HQ topic to fit the new direction the story takes.

Edit: Alongside the raids planned by participants, I will also be planning raids myself which will have a greater impact on the story, flowing from Sheppard's concerns as noted in his diary.

Edit edit: For realism sake, I think I'll rename Sheppard's Diary to Sheppard's Newsletter or something, because everyone is supposed to read it. :D Also, I realise that with this system of RP (individual raids) there is a limited amount of interaction between participants, but this depends on themselves. I will start the planning of the first raid, people can choose to join that or make their own. The option to make your own raid is there, but you don't have to use it. I will provide plenty of action by myself if the RP doesn't attract enough participants to to make this open RP environment viable.

Edited by Matias, 14 July 2008 - 10:27 PM.

#20 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts
  •  Weird Guy of the Forums

Posted 15 July 2008 - 07:50 AM

steam powered stuff is cool

and ZEPPELINS FTW!!!!!!!!

^_^

what im wondering though, is will this be a realistic industrial age RP, or well there be a certain element of fantasy in there?(i dont mean magic and dragons and crap, but i mean wierd and wonderful technology that really couldn't be real... you know, all those steam powered wonders that never come to be, strange inventions that only just defy realism, advanced technology made through more primitive methods, stuff like that?)

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" -Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users