21 replies to this topic

#1 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts
  •  Weird Guy of the Forums

Posted 10 September 2011 - 09:27 AM

I thought it might be a good idea to make a thread about what pokemon you are looking to add to your party. Partially cause it would let Vort head off any problems early (for example: someone wanting a Porigon, I remember Vort mentioning somewhere that they don't exist in this rp, but i'm not sure where. It would be better to know stuff like that in advance, rather than writing it in then having to change it).
The other reason being in the interests of avoiding excessive double ups in our group. I mean if everyone in this RP wanted a scyther then it might be best if we know that in advance, so some can change their mind if they want or so we can work it into the plot properly if need be.

Any other future plans worth mentioning could also be posted up here. If we all have an idea about where you want to go with something, then it should help make it flow smoother in the story (and we can avoid doing anything which would get in the way off it).

So for me my thoughts have extended only as far as:
I was considering my person getting a hitmonlee at some point off in the future. The idea being that this pokemon would then also be able to teach breloom(shroomish's evolved form) most of the fighting type moves it learns in the game. I have however found out that breeloom knows punches, and hitmonlee is a kicker. Hitmonchan on the other hand learns most of the fighting moves breeloom learns... but i don't like hitmonchan as much as hitmonlee.

I was also wanting them to get a Goldduck and a Jolteon, and maybe some fire type like Arcanine/Ninetails/Rapiash.
and a Raticate (specifically, that Raticate that attacked earlier XD).

So, what about you guys? Given much thought to it yet?

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" -Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Posted Image|Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts
  • Projects:The Peloponnesian Wars Mod.
  •  There are no heroes, no villains - only decisions.
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Global Moderator

Posted 10 September 2011 - 05:22 PM

Yep:

Ground, Male; Cubone/Marowak – Yorick
Water/Psychic, Asexual; Staryu/Starmie – Oberon
Normal, Male; Meowth/Persian – Tybalt
Bug/Poison, Male; Paras/Parasect – Benedick
Fire, Male; Ponyta/Rapidash – Titus
Rock/Flying, Female; Aerodactyl – Hecate

#3 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts
  • Projects:Workin'...
  •  ...like a workin' man do.
  • Division:Role-Playing Games
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 10 September 2011 - 08:44 PM

I haven't really got a plan for what I'm going to have as yet, but I know that it involves a rhyhorn and a kangaskhan. They's gon' mess shit up. I'll also need some kind of water pokémon, but quite what that will be remains undecided.
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#4 {IRS}Athos

{IRS}Athos

Non Sequitur

• Members
  • 4,008 posts
  • Projects:Ex-Advisor
  •  Resident Shakespearean.

Posted 11 September 2011 - 03:59 AM

I'm going for whatever birds I can get. Probably going to be raising a Pidgey over the storyline.
BulletsfromaGunbanner_zps974f3ea8.png

Careful. This link is DANGEROUS. Do NOT click it. This one, however, is fine.

I had the meaning of life in my signature, but it exceeded the character limit.

#5 The Best Guest

The Best Guest

Herald of Kane.....

• Division Admins
  • 2,048 posts
  • Projects:Revora, {IP}
  •  Varied
  • Division:C&C Guild
  • Job:PR Admin

Posted 11 September 2011 - 03:16 PM

I really want a snorlax, if we're allowed to get them that is.
mrbar.jpg
SEE-Team_MapEditor.jpg

#6 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 03:21 PM

Yep, a snorlax should be fine.
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#7 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 04:51 AM

I was thinking perhaps a Nidoqueen would serve the required '1 large sized pokemon' role in Claires party :p

Though I guess with a Vulpix and a Rapidash already chosen, I could go with the Arcanine which is fairly large.

Posted Image

#8 Copaman

Copaman

Ryan

• Project Team
  • 2,144 posts
  • Projects:Winning.
  •  Slowly becoming a Veteran

Posted 12 September 2011 - 06:26 PM

As far as water pokemon go, I'm thinking I'll take one as my big pokemon in the party. Polywrath versus Blastoise I haven't decided yet. Although Typhlosions are petty large... Ah well.

Geodude/graveller
Haunter/gengar
Electabuzz if possible if not Magnemite
Typhlosion
Polywrath/Blastoise
Kabuto/kabutops if possible

Posted Image

If you meet me:

Have some courtesy,

Have some sympathy,

And some taste.

Use all your well-learned politesse,

Or I'll lay your soul to waste.

#9 Neth

Neth

God's Shadow

• Project Team
  • 930 posts
  • Projects:Taking over the world
  •  Technician of Execution

Posted 12 September 2011 - 07:02 PM

I just really want a Scyther :p An onix would be particularly amazing, but even I don't think that should be allowed, and I'm the one who wants it :lol:

Posted Image
Posted Image

This face means nothing, these hands hold nothing, these lungs are empty, these eyes are blind

#10 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 08:06 PM

No, definitely no onixes. They are not pets in this world. Scyther is no problem though.

Copaman: electabuzz should be fine. I see no reason for it to be otherwise. Kabuto may be harder to come by, but I've got a plan to get Mike his aerodactyl, so why the hell not? I would suggest going for a poliwrath then, seeing as Elvenlord has a wartortle (if he ever posts in the storyline thread. Which is a shame for me, because I was seriously considering poliwhirl/wrath for my water-type. Never mind. Instead, I think I will get myself a krabby, or possibly just straight up hook a kingler. Those things are fucking enormous.

So to summarise my choices so far: ninetales, rhydon, kangaskhan, kingler. (In the end.) Nice.

#11 Elvenlord

Elvenlord

Polis Ranger

• Advisors
  • 3,838 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 12 September 2011 - 09:59 PM

Yeah, I need to get on that eventually.

Other than an Abra/Kadabra/Alakazam, I'm not sure what else I'd have. Maybe a Machoke. Definitely a Growlithe/Arcanie if SWG doesn't go with one.

elvenlordbanner.jpg

#12 {IRS}Athos

{IRS}Athos

Non Sequitur

• Members
  • 4,008 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 10:26 PM

I want some kind of legendary bird, if possible. Maybe a Ho-Oh? It seems much more like a bird than the other legendary birds, if that makes any sense to you.

Edited by {IRS}Athos, 12 September 2011 - 10:27 PM.

#13 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 03:01 AM

I'd say owning a legendary bird is out of the picture if owning a plain old onyx is a no-no.

and copaman, you literally just picked all the alternative pokemon I had in mind XD

Then again, i had alot of pokemon who i would have been cool with, so thats probably not such a coincidence.

I didn't mention wanting a haunter cause i thought being ghost pokemon they probably wouldn't be acceptable.
Same with kabutops, I think it looks awesome but seen as it's extinct i didn't think it would actually be allowed.
and clafable.

So many I considered but didn't mention cause it seems vort wouldn't let it pass.

edit: graveller is awesome, but i hated how golem didn't look fitting with the first two :/

Edited by some_weirdGuy, 13 September 2011 - 03:03 AM.

Posted Image

#14 {IRS}Athos

{IRS}Athos

Non Sequitur

• Members
  • 4,008 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 04:57 PM

In my opinion it makes MUCH more sense than some of your choices. At least I'm sticking to birds. You lot are branching out like all that matters is skill levels in animal training. "I raised a mushroom, but a burning dog shouldn't be too different, right?" "The habits of fire foxes are quite similar to a rhinoceros, if you give it a little stretch."

Edited by {IRS}Athos, 13 September 2011 - 04:57 PM.

#15 Copaman

Copaman

Ryan

• Project Team
  • 2,144 posts
  • Projects:Winning.
  •  Slowly becoming a Veteran

Posted 13 September 2011 - 06:07 PM

In my opinion it makes MUCH more sense than some of your choices. At least I'm sticking to birds. You lot are branching out like all that matters is skill levels in animal training. "I raised a mushroom, but a burning dog shouldn't be too different, right?" "The habits of fire foxes are quite similar to a rhinoceros, if you give it a little stretch."

So by that logic, Vort and I can only raise fire types, ultimately taming and gaining the trust of a fire legendary?

The rest of us are trying to build a party with few true weaknesses -- note how for the most part if one of our pokemon came up against it's counter type, we'd have a pokemon that we could switch it with in order to counter.

If I were branching out to involve power levels, I wouldn't have tarted with a cyndaquil ;) Vort's team looks a little stacked, yeah, but I would expect that from him :p

Posted Image

If you meet me:

Have some courtesy,

Have some sympathy,

And some taste.

Use all your well-learned politesse,

Or I'll lay your soul to waste.

#16 {IRS}Athos

{IRS}Athos

Non Sequitur

• Members
  • 4,008 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:21 PM

I'm just saying, your characters have no experience with these kind of pokemon, but are still talking casually about taming them. Hell, you probably wouldn't be very competent at working with a different kind of fire pokemon (Vulpix and Growlithe, for example). Think IRL. Would a dog trainer be able to easily transfer to elephants? Hell. No.

#17 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts
  • Projects:The Peloponnesian Wars Mod.
  •  There are no heroes, no villains - only decisions.
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Global Moderator

Posted 13 September 2011 - 11:11 PM

I can't help but think that you're overthinking this, Athos. It isn't outside the realm of possibility that the League would require aspiring trainers like our characters to take multiple safety courses before setting out on the road or even getting a first Pokemon. It can be handwaved, really :p

#18 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 04:07 AM

@ athos: Yes, certainly makes much more sense, i'm just saying that vort will probably not let you have a legendary bird, considering some of the 'normal' pokemon aren't even allowed.

Posted Image

#19 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 06:00 PM

SWG's right, Athos. A big fat no on the legendary birds, I'm afraid. For one thing, there's only one of each of them. For another, if they can be proven to exist (which so far nobody has managed - hence 'legendary'), they would instantly become protected species and the government would remove them from your care. Any government. And then they would become superweapons. But that's a story for another time.

And yes, I appreciate that raising different pokémon would require different techniques, but that's why there aren't many really good trainers. Most people stick to their one type because it's all they can do, but we're aiming a little higher. You don't get to be the best by having obvious shortcomings. And there would definitely be guides and assistance and training programs for raising and training pokémon, so we wouldn't be all on our lonesomes. Besides, training different species may not be exactly comparable, but I'm pretty sure there would at least be transferable skills.

Have I not mentioned ghost pokémon yet? Yes, they are acceptable. Difficult to catch, but possible. (Hint: they're not actually dead pokémon.)

SWG: Kabuto/omanyte/aerodactyl are acceptable. They're not actually extinct, just fossils. Like how in the real world there are fossilised crocodiles from millions of years ago but crocodiles are also still alive. They've been around long enough to have fossils of their species, but they're not extinct. It's possible they're not even particularly rare. And if you want a clefable, you're welcome to have one.

Elven: I'm afraid you can't have a machoke. See here for the why.

#20 {IRS}Athos

{IRS}Athos

Non Sequitur

• Members
  • 4,008 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 03:50 AM

And yes, I appreciate that raising different pokémon would require different techniques, but that's why there aren't many really good trainers. Most people stick to their one type because it's all they can do, but we're aiming a little higher. You don't get to be the best by having obvious shortcomings.

So you're saying that you want to be the very best? Like no one ever was?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users