Some basic questions

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Goblin_Wizard

Goblin_Wizard
  • New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:10 PM

It's my first post here so I'd like to say Hello everyone !

I'm just starting to learn BFME modding. I've read some FAQs and tutorials but they look a little outdated with dead links, etc. Could someone describe a simple method and needed tools to import a model with texture and animation to 3ds Max? Do I have to still use Gmax/Renx with scripts and other tools or maybe there is a simple script/plugin for 3ds max? If I'm asking obvious things that was described somewhere else, please, just post a link. Thanks in advance.

#2 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Leader

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:21 PM

Welcome. May I ask how you found us? 

As to your question,here's what you do:

1. Make sure you have either 3ds max 7 or 3ds max 8.

2. Download the following: BFME mod SDK, coolfile's w3d importer, and FinalBig. They should be available in the articles here, I don't have time to check: http://www.the3rdage...pe=3&category=9 If not, just google for them. 

3. Install the BFME mod SDK

4. Install the NDC's enhanced w3d importer: (http://www.the3rdage...tem-786?addview).

When you've done this, you should be able to import and export w3d files (the filetype BFME's models use) into 3ds max. However, you still need to extract the models from the game files before you can import them.

1. Navigate to your BFME installation folder (program files\EA Games\Battle for Middle-earth or similar). 

2. Open the file called w3d.big using FinalBig, then go to Edit, Extract All, and choose a folder you want the game's 3d assets to be extracted to.

3. In 3ds max, import w3d from the folder you just extracted things to. Say you want to import Aragorn's model, you look for guaragorn_skn. G standing for Gondor (even though he's with Rohan ingame), U standing for unit. Similarly, you can find the Gondor Barracks by looking for gbbarracks_skn (the B standing for building). Aragorn's skeleton file is guaragorn_skl, his animations are guaragorn_idla, guaragorn_atka, etc.

Now, textures are not applied yet. They are a different story.

1. Open Textures.big (also in installation folder) with FinalBig.

2. If you just want the textures to appear on the model you import and you are not planning to apply new textures, put them into the same folder as you extracted the w3d files in. 

If you want to edit textures, I suggest:

1. Extract the textures into a different folder.

2. Get a .dds importer for Photoshop (if that's what you use to edit images) here: https://developer.nv...adobe-photoshop

3. Install it.

4. Open texture, make edit, save as .TGA (because you cannot apply .dds files in 3ds max)

5. In 3ds max, select your model, press M to open Material Editor, press the Standard button, then select w3d from the list that pops up (will appear only if you've installed the BFME mod SDK properly). The popup will disappear. In the Material Editor, expand the Pass 1 button, go to the Textures tab, tick Stage 0 Texture, browse to the texture you saved (by pressing the NONE button), and then click the DISPLAY button.

Any more questions, just ask.

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#3 Goblin_Wizard

Goblin_Wizard
  • New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:09 PM

I can't believe what I see :w00t: . You wrote such a detailed post for a 1st time noob. I'd say it's great but it's actually far beyond being great. It's absolutely fantastic. Thanks A LOT! :thumbsupcool:

How I found your forum? The very 1st time, I got here while googling for something like "gondor castle/fortress". Amongst many other images, I saw some from the upcoming BFME: Tactics mod. They were from from revora forum and that's why I'm here now.

Ok, time to get things running. If I encounter any problems I'll be back in no time. :)

#4 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:12 PM

Well, we care about new members here. ;) Old game, old community, we need fresh blood.

Any problems in the graphics department I can help you with. If you're looking for help in coding, there are a bunch of experienced coders here who can help you with that.

#5 Goblin_Wizard

Goblin_Wizard
  • New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 06:04 PM

I have a problem with importing a model and its animation to the 3ds max 8. Model can be easily imported but animation only partially. Number of frames changes but nothing moves. I've found this thread. Is it still true or maybe someone find another way to import fully working BFME2 animations?

Edited by Goblin_Wizard, 06 January 2014 - 06:04 PM.

#6 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 06:34 PM

No, as far as I know there has not been a fix for this problem. You'll have to stick to BFME1 animations for editing.

#7 Goblin_Wizard

Goblin_Wizard
  • New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 08:16 PM

Is there any script that auto-bind animation/skeleton to its model in 3ds max (like it works in W3D viewer) or I have to do it manually?

Edited by Goblin_Wizard, 06 January 2014 - 08:17 PM.

#8 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 08:42 PM

Manually, but the process is pretty simple. 

This tutorial covers everything extensively: http://www.the3rdage...?apage=397#page

Once you get the hang of it, rigging won't take much longer than 10 minutes.

#9 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts
  • Projects:The 4th Age
  •  The very worst T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 07 January 2014 - 01:01 AM

Well, there is the Auto-Link button you can click (I usually click that first), but it only binds the polygons to the nearest bone, so it usually turns out very bad. Even though I always clicked auto-bind and then manually altered the parts that required manual binding, I always ended up with binding all polygons manually. When you learn to bind, and know the skeletons and how they function, it turns out it's pretty quick, as Mathijs pointed out.

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

The 4th Age version 0.8 has been released: Link

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users