45 replies to this topic

#21 ComradeJ

ComradeJ

Comrade Jamgee

• Project Team
  • 2,067 posts
  • Projects:Red Alert: ReGeneration

Posted 15 December 2005 - 05:34 PM

Don't underestimate education, a diploma will help you a lot in the rest of your life. It's especially worth fighting over if the school has such a bad reason, or none at all. I can imagine the school not being very happy with you installing all kinds of stuff on their comps, and I would've understood if they'd suspend you for a day if they warned you... But to be expelled? Way too far.
You cannot compare pissing to thinking
- SoulReaver

#22 Torn

Torn

Mmphumph!

• Hosted
  • 2,238 posts
  • Projects:Only War 2
  •  Mmmph mm mumph umph!

Posted 15 December 2005 - 05:40 PM

You do know hacking is illegal?

However, what you got expelled for was totally harsh.

#23 Carnivean

Carnivean

Suiseiseki

• Project Team
  • 829 posts
  •  A guy who does a thing.

Posted 15 December 2005 - 06:03 PM

The term hacking implies I gained unauthorised access to the system - I used my own granted username and facilities which were already installed on the school network. If I had however, created myself an administrator account and proceded to delete the contents of all the user areas then it could be offically considered hacking. Playing games through the use of winzip and winrars built in ability to dump .exes to a temporary directory and accessing the my network places which were left on the network due to the lax checking procedures by our schools technician is not what I'd call hacking into my schools network.

They can claim all sorts of shit like causing criminal damage but the fact of the matter is - I installed games for personal use and never caused any actual harm to the network. I didn't delete anything which I didn't have in my own user area.

Edited by Carnivean, 15 December 2005 - 06:05 PM.

Posted Image Posted Image

Love Me.

#24 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm
  •  Keep calm and carry on.

Posted 15 December 2005 - 06:26 PM

I wouldn't have told how you got in, if all they're gonna do is be fucks and expel you.

Indeed, you didn't actually technically hack via a password, keylog or through such a thing. And I do think it's wrong how they persecuted you when those brats got away with next to nothing.

#25 DemonWolf

DemonWolf
  • Members
  • 159 posts
  • Projects:Audio/Video Work.
  •  Successful Troll

Posted 15 December 2005 - 09:20 PM

Old people. When will they learn that a computer is easy to work?
Dude that sucks, and I know what the fight thing's like. Only I got a 5 day suspension for defending myself, and the assholes got off without even a WARNING.
Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of the men who follow and of the man who leads that gains that victory. -Gen. George S. Patton
Posted Image

#26 Rawlo

Rawlo

Word Smith

• Project Team
  • 1,616 posts
  •  as it turns out, was never actually a convict, go figure.

Posted 16 December 2005 - 12:12 AM

they did this to you for something as simple as this? there's no question for it, drag them through as much shit as you can.
The Least I Could Do - We all wished we were like this at one point
Ctrl+Alt+Del - A webcomic for the gamer in all of us
A final good night Burnie, sleep well mate, rest in peace
Goodbye Tig, you are sorely missed.
Goodbye to you aswell till, you'll also be missed

Xeno, RIP mate
"I'm going to go on the record and say that any substance abuse problem which creates women like that is ok by me"

#27 Shuya-Lee

Shuya-Lee
  • Members
  • 202 posts
  • Projects:Documentry on Emo

Posted 16 December 2005 - 12:29 AM

dude that proper bites!

the computar admins at schools know nothing at all about computers.

all they learn is how to block access and they cant even do that properly

i remember at our school we all use to access each others work files by using shortcuts through the server. was major fun to delete some cunts work as they were sat next to u but a bitch when the tech would walk up behind u and say "why do u have two my work folders?"

explaining that is a toughie

oh btw them dicks that broke your jaw i know of a way that there christmas can be fucked up if you wish... :lol:

#28 Shine On

Shine On

Resident Photographer

• Hosted
  • 3,828 posts
  •  Ex Cameo Maker and Modder

Posted 16 December 2005 - 09:54 AM

Actually, if you win this you'll get more chance of being accepted..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes and if you are in the media you can advertise Revora :p
Posted Image

#29 Mormacil

Mormacil

Knüdel

• Project Team
  • 316 posts
  • Projects:Frontline, Elementis concept-artist

Posted 17 December 2005 - 10:20 AM

They have a recording of me running winrar in order to get an emulator to start and that's about it for this time.
I also was made to write out exactly the steps I had to do to get .exe files running because out administrator seems unaware that IE writes files to the C for its temporary files.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmm at least the admins at my old school knew what they were doing :p It was really a challenge to do anything else but schoolwork. It sure got harsh when they installed remotedesktopcontrol and monitorsoftware... Though we blocked it, even uninstalled it on some pc's... though you would found it installed next morning :p

But ye it sucks and isn't fair at all. But hell good luck

#30 SjaakRake

SjaakRake
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 01:27 PM

zomg lies...

Hacker is a term used to describe people who create and modify computer software and computer hardware. Hacker has multiple meanings. In some programming communities, the term refers to people skilled in computer programming, administration and security with legitimate goals. The word is also used in a derogatory way in most communities to refer to someone who is relatively unskilled in programming. Most people in the popular media and some in the general population use the word hacker to mean what is called in most programming communities a cracker, that is, someone who partakes in illegal activity or lacks in ethics.

Now let me never hear you calling hacking a crime...

#31 Torn

Torn

Mmphumph!

• Hosted
  • 2,238 posts
  •  Mmmph mm mumph umph!

Posted 20 December 2005 - 02:40 PM

Well done for picking the vaguest description of the word 'Hacker'. 'Multiple meanings', 'in *SOME* programming communities', yeah, good one.

Hacking means illegally accessing other people's computer systems for destroying, disrupting or carrying out illegal activities on the network or computer systems.

Unauthorized use, or attempts to circumvent or bypass the security mechanisms of an information system or network.

I said hacking was illegal, not that random varient meanings of the word 'Hacker' were.

Also, you were all doing stuff you shouldn't be, had told not to do, and when you do it you are like ZOMG THEYZE IS ACTUALLY RUBBISH AT TEH COMPUTERS!!11!!11! That's irrelevant when you are using their systems for purposes they don't want you to. Even if you weren't hacking. Understable that you are angry that they went as far as they did though.

Edited by tornado2099, 20 December 2005 - 02:45 PM.

#32 Carnivean

Carnivean

Suiseiseki

• Project Team
  • 829 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 11:07 PM

The fact of the matter is if they want to complain about you doing things you are unauthorized to do they should not be allowing you to do them in the first place, of course they aren't paid to do that.. oh wait they are. :blush:
It's not as if the network was destroyed or slowed, plus everything I did was mainly in free periods which the school classed as my 'own personal time' it wasn't interupting my studies nor was I forcing my activities upon any one else. I don't see the problem personally in entertaining myself in the free time I am provided.

Since they are specifically paid to make sure the network runs correctly, it's secure and that students aren't able to perform tasks which are not allowed means it is very much their responsibility for the fact I could do anything in the first place. If a 16 year old student can breach their system it's not exactly as if they've correctly did their job of making it secure.

Edited by Carnivean, 20 December 2005 - 11:12 PM.

Love Me.

#33 Guest_ImmoMan_*

Guest_ImmoMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2005 - 12:14 AM

That reminds me of several cases where a government/boss/other authority asks people to do something, and when they do it they're accused of breaking the law/rules. Looks like you've been framed... :blush:

#34 Rawlo

Rawlo

Word Smith

• Project Team
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 10:02 AM

the reason they got pissed at you was because they are given funding to have those computers on an only educational basis, they lose that funding and can get in alot of trouble if it's discovered that your not. another thing is that even though you weren't doing any damage you were capable of doing damage (from what I know of what you accessed to do this).

As to them stopping you using the computers for purposes other then hat they were bought for, they did. you are no longer able to use them unless you break into the school and do so, and that could leed to far more serious trouble then expulsion.

I'm not saying that all this is a good thing, I"m just saying thats the way the world treats people.

Xeno, RIP mate
"I'm going to go on the record and say that any substance abuse problem which creates women like that is ok by me"

#35 Torn

Torn

Mmphumph!

• Hosted
  • 2,238 posts
  •  Mmmph mm mumph umph!

Posted 21 December 2005 - 10:06 AM

Oh. My. God. The computers you used are THEIR computers, THEIR systems, provided for your educational use. Regardless of whether you CAN do it or not, they said don't do it, and you went and did it. Jesus christ, is like just because you can commit a crime doesnt mean you shouldn't get punished when you do it.

#36 Mormacil

Mormacil

Knüdel

• Project Team
  • 316 posts
  • Projects:Frontline, Elementis concept-artist

Posted 21 December 2005 - 11:58 AM

zomg lies...

Hacker is a term used to describe people who create and modify computer software and computer hardware. Hacker has multiple meanings. In some programming communities, the term refers to people skilled in computer programming, administration and security with legitimate goals. The word is also used in a derogatory way in most communities to refer to someone who is relatively unskilled in programming. Most people in the popular media and some in the general population use the word hacker to mean what is called in most programming communities a cracker, that is, someone who partakes in illegal activity or lacks in ethics.

Now let me never hear you calling hacking a crime...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hacking IS a crime, cracking isn't. The difference is taht a hacker either steals stuff or changes things. Cracking is just looking around, but not cpying everything etc.

#37 Carnivean

Carnivean

Suiseiseki

• Project Team
  • 829 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 02:25 PM

the reason they got pissed at you was because they are given funding to have those computers on an only educational basis, they lose that funding and can get in alot of trouble if it's discovered that your not. another thing is that even though you weren't doing any damage you were capable of doing damage (from what I know of what you accessed to do this).

As to them stopping you using the computers for purposes other then hat they were bought for, they did. you are no longer able to use them unless you break into the school and do so, and that could leed to far more serious trouble then expulsion.

I'm not saying that all this is a good thing, I"m just saying thats the way the world treats people.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They are given funding? Don't make me laugh. In the whole time I was at the school there was two rooms in total upgraded in the ICT department. The rest of the computers are so old they bear stickers saying 'designed for windows 95'
They stopped one individual - they haven't stopped the large number of people who are capable of doing this. The fact is I was not the lone person who plays games, according to the computer usage agreement I was forced to sign EVERY student in the school will likely have breached the terms at least once and as such EVERY student shouldn't be able to use the schools network. Hell at least 10 people in my ICT class alone were doing the exact same thing as me (Downloading or bringing in pen drives full of games and playing them).
It's not all that big a deal what I've done - I could potentially have done damage... To my own user files. The network acts in a such a way that your own user area is the only place you are allowed to modify files. It's not exactly like I could release a virus into the main school server systematically wiping everything.

Oh. My. God. The computers you used are THEIR computers, THEIR systems, provided for your educational use. Regardless of whether you CAN do it or not, they said don't do it, and you went and did it. Jesus christ, is like just because you can commit a crime doesnt mean you shouldn't get punished when you do it.

What crime can you say I have done? I played on games. I didn't go changing the staffs god damn pay rolls. This is on the grand scale of things nothing. Hundreds of kids will be playing flash games daily, that is the same thing I did just on a different media.
The school even went as far as threatening to bring in the police for 'criminal damage' the fact remains what I did isn't exactly a large threat to the network, not did I do any 'criminal damage' it would be dismissed from court the second they found out what it actually amounted to - playing games in my own free periods.
Playing games is dwarfed in comparision to the fact half of the PCs in my school are PHYSICALLY damaged by idiots smashing them to bits if they are left alone in a lesson where they can touch them.
I see computer misuse on such as a small scale as meaningless compared to say - being attacked in school and then being hospitalised? The fact I get kicked out for small scale misuse of the PCs whereas people who attacked me and hospitalised me had NOTHING happen to them is appaling.

Edited by Carnivean, 21 December 2005 - 02:28 PM.

Love Me.

#38 Torn

Torn

Mmphumph!

• Hosted
  • 2,238 posts
  •  Mmmph mm mumph umph!

Posted 21 December 2005 - 10:53 PM

You haven't commited a crime. They are being twats. Yeah, I understand your situation.

Regardless, you did break the agreement you signed. While they action they took was overly harsh, don't pass yourself off as innocent in this.

#39 Rawlo

Rawlo

Word Smith

• Project Team
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 02:49 AM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

sorry about that, one of my freinds posted it while I was in the dunny, he only just told me. ;) I don't think he realized that you weren't from australia. where nearly all educational centres are required to have some support from the government.

I'm fairly sure he realizes his mistake and I don't think he posted anything more then that comment

Xeno, RIP mate

#40 the_kid

the_kid

L337 Pwnerer of N00bs

• Project Team
  • 1,734 posts
  • Projects:freelancing between what interests me
  •  + TRIPLEhelix

Posted 22 December 2005 - 06:35 AM

ok, too much reading I skimmed through some of it... but from the sounds of it your fucked because you messed with the school comps and you got your face fucked last year.

Personally, There isn't much that i havn't done with my school systems. I have America's Army, Counter-strike, and Warcraft III on my school comps, as well as tons of other shit on the server. I can and have accessed and stolen just about any information saved by anyone in my year. I've run dedicated servers on school computers for my gaming pleasures and had many a fragfest in the middle of class.

I've bypasses the security to create admin accounts for myself and friends, I've installed and uninstalled cracked and pirated programs on the school comps. I've even stolen a 40Gig hard-drive from a unused computer and put it in the very comp I'm using right now.

My administration knows about some of these things... but what do i have to do to protect my rights... give them a nice big "FUCK YOU", and continue playing whatever game i was owning at.

Morale of the Story... learn to kill people with your bare hands, and fuck bitches up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users