Photo

Skirmish AI 2.0 Beta 1 **NOW LIVE** Post Comments In Thread!

87 replies to this topic

#1 ArkhanTheBlack

ArkhanTheBlack

title available

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 05:39 PM

We should be ready now for our first beta version. I've sent Thud the latest build and if there aren't any serious problems he should upload it soon for the testers... :p

It was more work than expected since the Necrons were quiet problematic because of their many specials. There were also lots of new and complex abilities and behaviours to code for units like the Drone harbinger, Tomb Spyder or Monolith. Since Relic destroyed the entire unit strength system in DC we had to create a new one from scratch. This took a lot of time and was extremly annoying :p .

A quick example why the unit strength in DC is messed up:

3 Necron warriors => ~400 unit strength
8 Necron warriors => ~2500 unit strength

Very interesting results... ;)

#2 Malkor

Malkor

Eternity

• Members
  • 375 posts
  • Projects:Loladins of Legend.
  •  Inanely inane inanities!

Posted 11 November 2006 - 06:53 PM

YES YES WOOT YES YES WOOT ect.

#3 Zenoth

Zenoth

title available

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 08:49 PM

Talk about dedication and focus at work guys, superb job getting the first build ready that soon (I mean it, and I was busy at my job anyway so I didn't really see time passing). Thanks a lot for that.

However now I am getting aware that testing for Dark Crusade might take longer than it was for Winter Assault, simply because of the presence of two new races to test. I'll start by testing each races separately and see if it functions properly, probably 2 Vs 2 or 3 Vs 3 matches of the same race would do it, with replays then I would see four or five, or more ways the race can operate in a single match. That should speed up things at least for me. All testers have their own way to test of course. But I'll do it that way to begin with.

I'll get to it as soon as I download it.

Edited by Zenoth, 11 November 2006 - 08:50 PM.

#4 Blodo

Blodo

The one who disagrees

• Project Team
  • 3,002 posts
  • Projects:siteMeister, Mental Omega
  •  The wise guy

Posted 11 November 2006 - 10:38 PM

Great work guys, honestly. I'll get to testing as soon as it's up.

ARGUMENT FROM CREATION, a.k.a. ARGUMENT FROM PERSONAL INCREDULITY (I)
(1) If evolution is false, then creationism is true, and therefore God exists.
(2) Evolution can't be true, since I lack the mental capacity to understand it; moreover, to accept its truth would cause me to be uncomfortable.
(3) Therefore, God exists.

#5 LarkinVB

LarkinVB

title available

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 11:05 PM

A quick example why the unit strength in DC is messed up:

3 Necron warriors => ~400 unit strength
8 Necron warriors => ~2500 unit strength

The are sooo stupid. Instead off fixing obvious shortcomings they introduced more problems.

#6 ArkhanTheBlack

ArkhanTheBlack

title available

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 01:27 AM

The are sooo stupid. Instead off fixing obvious shortcomings they introduced more problems.

Yes, this was definitely an unnecessary complication...

On the brighter sight, they fixed the GetBases routine better than expected. The new vehicle and building repair system is also very nice. :p

At the moment, I think the biggest problem is the missing summoning/teleport ability of the necron warriors. It's more important than all their other abilities together because of their slow speed. I really hope that they fix that with a patch. :p

#7 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2006 - 04:47 AM

I've sent Thud the latest build and if there aren't any serious problems he should upload it soon for the testers...

Maybe tomorrow or the day after?

#8 Zenoth

Zenoth

title available

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 05:50 AM

Thudo ! Where are you ? :p

My free time is contained mostly during week-ends, and we're already Sunday as I type this. I can't speak for others though. I just want to say as far as I'm concerned. I can do it during the week if necessary though.

#9 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts
  • Projects:DoW AI Scripting Project
  • Division:DoW
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 12 November 2006 - 06:05 AM

Yes we're almost ready for beta.. I am sending an internal build to Arkhan for final appraisal in 30mins of this writing. If all is cool, it should go to the testers in under 12 hours. Immensely impressed with the progress. Very stable and just a bloody butcher on the battlefield. :p Hang tight gang!!!
Advanced Skirmish AI Team Lead for the coolest Warhammer40k PC RTS out there:

Dawn of War Advanced AI Headquarters

Latest DoW Advanced AI Download!

#10 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2006 - 10:06 AM

At the moment, I think the biggest problem is the missing summoning/teleport ability of the necron warriors. It's more important than all their other abilities together because of their slow speed. I really hope that they fix that with a patch.

They are collecting a list of complaints to present to the developers of the Game.

Contribute to the Next DC Patch:
http://forums.relicn...ad.php?t=121280

You guys might want to log in and speak up if you haven't already done so. Of anyone out there, you guys seem to have the best idea of what really needs to be fixed or improved.

#11 Corsix

Corsix

Code Monkey

• Hosted
  • 290 posts
  • Projects:DoW AI, DoW Mod Studio
  •  Blue Text :)

Posted 12 November 2006 - 03:10 PM

I think the biggest problem is the missing summoning/teleport ability of the necron warriors. It's more important than all their other abilities together because of their slow speed

I thought the AI could use squad_jump_ext?
Posted Image

#12 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 03:27 PM

Summoning is different than jumping as it needs to identify the closest free and safe building or LP. Anyway.. our Necron AI doesn't need it like doesn't need the Ethreal's Project Hologram ability. We still have 90+% of all abilities scripted now so we're QUITE happy.

I chatted internally with Relic about these "extension abilities" and perhaps in future DC patches they will be unlocked for AI confgurability. Regardless.. they are a bonus.. Not showstoppers for us.

#13 Malkor

Malkor

Eternity

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 09:29 PM

Finally, the first time I can truly play DC since its release! DoS did nothing short of deliver exactly what I wanted to see in this game.

Summary

This is a 2v2v2v2. I am IG with an IG ally, vs teams of Tau, Chaos, and Necrons, on Harder difficulty, on Penal Colony.

I knew I was in for a loss when Tau spawned beside me. IG infantry just get destroyed by Tau as is displayed in this replay. I tried to go for vehicles but constant harassment and a failed attempt to save my ally inevitably spelled doom. I did get a basilisk which held off the Tau for quite some time, but the Chaos team paid a visit with an outstanding dual predator push that had already slaughtered my hapless ally. From then on it's a 2v2 Tau vs Chaos vehiclefest. I am amazed how fast the Tau got Hammerheads and I look forward to improving that even more with a Hammerhead rush script in the late future.

There's only two things I can point out. First off, the Tau kept tried to cap my points while getting shot at or while being next to my dudes.

Second, after I die, there's a fight in the middle near a critical point. There's a vespid squad that just kinda flails around in a tight area for some time while reinforcing, even though they're losing ground to the Chaos forces.

To add onto that, I am not sure how the Necrons died so fast, as I only saw a pack of scarabs in the entire game, but it might be worth checking out to see how to better improve their rush defenses.

The IG rightfully went to vehicles, but the turret he built was at his expansion. If that turret had been in his main base, he would have probably lasted considerably longer.

This replay is titled Malkor200pwn. It stands for Malkor's replay of 2.00 beta 1, pwn.

Attached Files

#14 Zulgaines

Zulgaines
  • Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 09:35 PM

How do you become a beta tester for the AI mod anyway?

#15 Malkor

Malkor

Eternity

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 10:04 PM

Okay, I encountered a fatal AI error.

AI_Log.txt
AI1006 23:44 CpuManager: Starting AI Think
AI1006 23:44 CpuManager: Update strategies...
AI1006 23:44 Attackplan: Update...
AI1006 23:44 ResourcePlan: Update...
AI1006 23:44 BuildPlan: Update...
AI1006 23:44 CapturePlan: Update...
AI1006 23:44 CapturePlan: Update...
AI1006 23:44 BuildBuildingPlan: Update...
AI1006 23:44 BuildBuildingPlan: Update...
AI1006 23:44 CpuManager: Update tactics...

Warnings.txt
13:49:30.39   GAME -- Local player (Loladin, 0) finished loading (24c4eb73) (72 seconds)
13:49:32.96   GAME -- Starting mission...
14:04:55.26   SimulationController::GenerateSyncCmd - couldn't send all commands, 1 binned
14:10:23.56   SimulationController::GenerateSyncCmd - couldn't send all commands, 1 binned
14:11:28.82   SimulationController::GenerateSyncCmd - couldn't send all commands, 5 binned
14:12:25.56   SimulationController::GenerateSyncCmd - couldn't send all commands, 1 binned
14:13:16.37   SimulationController::GenerateSyncCmd - couldn't send all commands, 3 binned
14:13:23.79   SimulationController::GenerateSyncCmd - couldn't send all commands, 2 binned
14:13:31.26   SimulationController::GenerateSyncCmd - couldn't send all commands, 1 binned
14:13:35.25   GAME -- SimulationController::Pause 0

I was attacking an Ork base when it occured, using orbital bombardment and stuff. Here's the replay.

This was also on Harder. 2Xsm (including me) vs 2orks, 2necrons, and 2chaos.

Attached Files

#16 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 11:01 PM

PenalColony is perhaps the toughest map for the AI. Why? Its sooo lacking resources and protection + its 8 player slots.. Thats a rough map for any AI scripter. Try first 2vs2, 1vs1 and FFA.. Going 8player is alot. Again.. PenalColony IS NOT a good map to test AI.. its lacking resources. ALOT of em so its a bizzare battlefield. AIs like more than 3+ nearby strats to start doing their work. PenalColony is barely 2 and 3 if you really luck out. I doubt as a Necron player I could survive there except for using Warriors as a complete shield.

#17 Malkor

Malkor

Eternity

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 11:14 PM

Any idea what caused the error? I'm in the middle of a really big FFA and it hasn't done it again so I'm not really sure what caused it.

edit: Holy shit, IG are sooo aggressive with basilisks. I tried absolutely everything I could to get rid of this IG in this FFA, from backdooring him with turrets and predators to using a land raider as a battering ram and spamming orbital bombardment in his base. He just would not die. Then Eldar showed up and mutilated my base,and I gave up. Now it's a final stand eldar vs orks vs IG.... absolutely epic.

Edited by Malkor, 12 November 2006 - 11:54 PM.

#18 Zenoth

Zenoth

title available

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 11:55 PM

As a side note, before I start, I was kinda getting lost, until Malkor told me that there is no indication on the main menu that the Mod is activated like it was for WA ? Is it some kinda bug from our beloved Relic ? Ain't a big deal I guess, but still, wasn't like that with WA.

#19 Malkor

Malkor

Eternity

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 12:12 AM

That's because it's not an installer/ actual "mod" yet, so the game doesn't recognize it as one.

#20 Zenoth

Zenoth

title available

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 12:27 AM

Alright ...

Got AI Fatal Error as well.

On Testing Grounds, 3 Necrons (I was one of them) against Chaos, and two Orks. The Difficulty was set at Hard, no Resources Sharing, game type Annihilation.

It happened just a few minutes in early game.

-Warning-
18:59:35.79   GAME -- Local player (Zenoth, 0) finished loading (24c4eb73) (41 seconds)
18:59:38.12   GAME -- Starting mission...
19:15:42.12   GAME -- SimulationController::Pause 0
19:16:18.10   GAME -- SimulationController::Pause 1
19:16:18.92   GAME -- SimulationController::Pause 1
19:16:30.59   SimulationController::GenerateSyncCmd - couldn't send all commands, 5 binned
19:16:35.50   GAME -- SimulationController::Pause 0
19:16:40.84   APP -- Game Stop
19:16:40.84   GAME -- SimulationController::Pause 1
19:16:40.84   GAME -- Ending mission (Abort)

I think the three last lines is me quiting the game after seeing the error.

-AI Log-
1002 16:20 CpuManager: Starting AI Think
AI1002 16:20 CpuManager: Update strategies...
AI1002 16:20 BuildBuildingPlan: Update...
AI1002 16:20 BuildPlan: Update...
AI1002 16:20 ResourcePlan: Update...
AI1002 16:20 BuildBuildingPlan: Update...
AI1002 16:20 CpuManager: Update tactics...
AI1002 16:20 CpuManager: End AI Think

I'm not sure why but if I had to take a guess, I'd say there's something up with the Necrons.

Malkor, did it happen in any of your test where no Necrons are present ?

I'll try to make sure of that guess myself. I might be wrong but ...

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users