Photo

Peter Jackson to produce two hobbit movies, Not to direct..

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Pixel

Pixel

• Hosted
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 01:00 AM

Director Peter Jackson, New Line Cinema and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc said on Tuesday they have agreed to make two movies based on the book "The Hobbit" by J.R.R. Tolkien, ending months of legal wrangling.

Jackson, the director of the smash hit "Lord of the Rings" movies, and producer Fran Walsh will executive produce both a "Hobbit" movie and a sequel, but no decision has been made about who will direct the films, Bob Shaye and Michael Lynne, co-chairmen and co-CEOs of New Line told Reuters.

MGM Chairman Harry Sloan, who was credited by all parties for bringing about the deal, said Jackson found it "impossible" to direct the film and meet proposed release dates in 2010 and 2011 due to other projects on which he is now working.

ADVERTISEMENT
"He can't get it scheduled and he doesn't want the fans to have to wait for the next two movies," Sloan said. He said the studios might postpone the films if Jackson changed his mind.

Full Version

Personally, I would have waited for the film to be directed by Peter Jackson, Instead of anyone else. Will it be as good without Peter as the director?

This news should make up for the lack of the weekly modupdate :crazed: (Which didn't get posted due to a lack of news)

Edited by Solinx, 19 December 2007 - 06:58 PM.

#2 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Network Leader

Posted 19 December 2007 - 09:03 AM

it will still have him as producer (meaning he has a lot of input on it) and WETA will probably do the design and effects again
bartvh | Join me, make your signature small!
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#3 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts
  • Projects:The 4th Age
  •  The very worst T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 19 December 2007 - 10:24 AM

hopefully

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

The 4th Age version 0.8 has been released: Link

#4 Dain Ironfoot

Dain Ironfoot

No sex please, we're Dwarves

• Hosted
  • 1,655 posts
  • Projects:The Peninsular War
  •  I aten't dead.

Posted 19 December 2007 - 12:19 PM

To be honest as long as he and WETA are someway involved, I don't mind overmuch. It's the continuity that I'm concerned with. If they'd gone with someone else, then the chances of actors returning or the film looking the same were slim. And since they're undoubtedly going to market it as a LOTR prequel, that would really kill it.

As it is I am feeling very hopeful now. However the decision to split it into 2 films stinks of "Lets make more money" The Hobbit could've easily been told in 3 hours, even adding a load of stuff. I can't see a logical way of splitting it in 2 unless they add a load of White Council mush. I mean where do you end the film? At Beorn's home? At Mirkwood? At Laketown? None of them are very good places to end a film. So I'm extremely wary of that.

Still good news. It'll hopefully mean EA's crappy dwarves will be gone forever. Alas that they still hold the license.. though not for the Hobbit? Oh well, they'll horde it soon and prevent anything other than bad movie tie ins being made.

Edited by Dain Ironfoot, 19 December 2007 - 12:21 PM.

Dain: Arr Nertea: yarrrr Dain: haharrrr Nertea: graaawwwr Dain: oaaaaaaaarr Nertea: .... honk?

#5 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 12:45 PM

in the chamber's links, didn't I read that they ARE going to make The Hobbit as a movie, and another one that is between The Hobbit and FotR...
Don't know if that'll be a good movie, but hey...
If they do make The Hobbit in two movies, when the dwarves are captured by the wood elves would perhaps be the best?
But there is really nothing that really fits as Dain said :crazed:

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

#6 Dain Ironfoot

Dain Ironfoot

• Hosted
  • 1,655 posts
  •  I aten't dead.

Posted 19 December 2007 - 12:54 PM

Hrmm. In that case... oh dear oh dear. I dread to think what they could put in a made up LOTR prequel.

Dain: Arr Nertea: yarrrr Dain: haharrrr Nertea: graaawwwr Dain: oaaaaaaaarr Nertea: .... honk?

#7 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 01:06 PM

oh, same link :crazed:

Jackson and Walsh envisioned the first film covering the events of "The Hobbit" and the second bridging the 80-year gap between that novel and the first "Lord of the Rings" book.

I know, it's kinda scary...

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

#8 JEV3

JEV3

Mighty Armadillo

• Hosted
  • 719 posts
  • Projects:Game Enhancement Mod
  •  Coder, Skinner, Graphics, GEM Mod Leader
  • Job:T3A Chamber Member

Posted 19 December 2007 - 01:52 PM

There is content, but not as a unified story... however I don't doubt that Peter and Fran can make it unified, I wonder how many unnecessary liberties will be taken. It looks to me like an effort to tie the Hobbit back to the Lord of the Rings, which isn't entirely necessary.

So far noteworthy content looks like:

Travels of Gollum
Declaration of War by Sauron
Saruman's Fall
Aragorn learning his Heritage
Aragorn and Arwen
Dwarf Colony in Moria

I'm somewhat apprehensive of how this will be put into a story. However I am positive there is going to be a lot of Aragorn and Arwen stuff in it, since they really seemed eager to show off that part of the story in the trilogy.
He who bears skill but lacks effort, makes himself inferior to those who have no skill but try nonetheless.
Posted Image
Posted Image
"There is some good in this world, and its worth fighting for!"
J.M.J.

#9 Dain Ironfoot

Dain Ironfoot

• Hosted
  • 1,655 posts
  •  I aten't dead.

Posted 19 December 2007 - 04:21 PM

Meh, may be stupidly inevitable like the Star Wars prequels.

PJ says in one commentry he was interested in the hunt for Gollum... but thats after he left bag end.. damn.

#10 JEV3

JEV3

Mighty Armadillo

• Hosted
  • 719 posts
  • Projects:Game Enhancement Mod
  •  Coder, Skinner, Graphics, GEM Mod Leader
  • Job:T3A Chamber Member

Posted 19 December 2007 - 04:49 PM

My guess is it will be some lone ranger sort of stuff with Aragorn finding out his true heritage and trying to win the hand of Arwen while Sauron declares war on Middle-earth and Gandalf must deal with the trouble at hand as well as fears of corruption entering the White Council.

They'll probably also have some battles between Mordor and Gondor, I think there was one before the Nazgul set out... First battle of Osgiliath where Sauron let Gondor win to test their strength... There is also the dwarf colony of Moria, and I doubt that PJ would give up an opportunity to revisit that setting.
He who bears skill but lacks effort, makes himself inferior to those who have no skill but try nonetheless.
Posted Image
Posted Image
"There is some good in this world, and its worth fighting for!"
J.M.J.

#11 Solinx

Solinx

• Undead
  • 3,101 posts
  • Projects:Real Life
  • Job:Retired Leader / Manager

Posted 19 December 2007 - 06:56 PM

I'm thinking the same JEV3, only I wonder how he would be able to add Moria to the mix.

you beat us to posting this on the main site :crazed:

Fixing that :blink:

Solinx
Posted Image

"An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

#12 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts
  • Projects:The Peloponnesian Wars Mod.
  •  There are no heroes, no villains - only decisions.
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Global Moderator

Posted 19 December 2007 - 08:25 PM

IMO, I could see it not having the various plot lines not directly connected, per se. Kind of like in TTT when it'd cut from Frodo-Faramir to Helm's Deep to Ents.
Cheers,
-mike

Edited by elfhelm.., 30 December 2007 - 08:45 PM.

#13 lycan

lycan

title available

• Banned
  • 553 posts
  • Projects:HP Mod
  •  Im just a guy around these forums

Posted 28 December 2007 - 10:56 PM

i heard that the first will be the whole of the hobbit and its going to be 3hrs 45mins long.
also the second i heard was like based off the unfinished tales book.

#14 Dain Ironfoot

Dain Ironfoot

• Hosted
  • 1,655 posts
  •  I aten't dead.

Posted 29 December 2007 - 04:13 PM

Since a great deal of unfinished Tales is 1st age... no. And I love how you know the length of the film before they even start shooting it.

It's apparently (from the mouths of PJ and co) Going to be concerned with Aragorn's early life as a wandering swordsman.. and possibly have corsairs in.

#15 Clement

Clement

title available

• Network Staff
  • 1,442 posts
  • Projects:Various
  •  T3A Team Chamber Member
  • Job:Developer

Posted 29 December 2007 - 04:51 PM

and possibly have corsairs in.

So maybe PJ himself in :good:
Posted Image

#16 Allathar

Allathar

これを翻訳する

• Project Team
  • 2,752 posts
  • Projects:RJ-RotWK
  •  Greedy capitalist and cynical bastard.

Posted 29 December 2007 - 05:08 PM

That'll be about Aragorn as Thorongil then?
It has been reported that some victims of rape, during the act, would retreat into a fantasy world from which they could not WAKE UP. In this catatonic state, the victim lived in a world just like their normal one, except they weren't being raped. The only way that they realized they needed to WAKE UP was a note they found in their fantasy world. It would tell them about their condition, and tell them to WAKE UP. Even then, it would often take months until they were ready to discard their fantasy world and PLEASE WAKE UP

#17 Thorin III Stonehelm

Thorin III Stonehelm
  • Project Team
  • 135 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 01:43 PM

And that would NOT be a "Hobbit" movie.

#18 Dain Ironfoot

Dain Ironfoot

• Hosted
  • 1,655 posts
  •  I aten't dead.

Posted 30 December 2007 - 08:30 PM

Well yes.. if you read the press releases, the 2nd film is more of a bridge between the 2 films, an original story written by PJ et al.

#19 lycan

lycan

title available

• Banned
  • 553 posts
  • Projects:HP Mod
  •  Im just a guy around these forums

Posted 04 January 2008 - 09:32 PM

pj's fat he cant be a corsair he was in rotwk though. hes beefy he should be a dwarf :p

#20 Pixel

Pixel

• Hosted
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 10:48 PM

There is no reason Peter Jackson couldnt play a corsair, He has also lost alot of weight..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users