KaRsKiN

One man modding machine...pfft!!

• Hosted
  • 208 posts
  • Projects:C&C: Origins
  •  Skivvy!

Posted 21 April 2008 - 08:07 PM

www.freewebs.com/cncorigins

Ok i've got the mod in full swing now with a new site and some updates.

In case your wondering, a few of you saw the site www.freewebs.com/darkalert that i published a few week ago.

Well this is the updated version, with the storyline and plan sorted out.

Have a look and tell me what you think, especially of the graphics so far!

KaRsKiN
Posted Image

#2 Guest_Darknessvolt_*

Guest_Darknessvolt_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2008 - 03:49 AM

Shouldn't this be on Mod Announcements?!

#3 KaRsKiN

KaRsKiN

• Hosted
  • 208 posts
  •  Skivvy!

Posted 22 April 2008 - 06:10 AM

Erm maybe :p

I didn't see there was a forum for that, sorry :S
Posted Image

#4 partyzanPaulZy

partyzanPaulZy

"quarawr!"

• Members
  • 576 posts
  • Projects:Corruption Of Power - YR mod
  •  doing my mod alone till 1st release (then will see)

Posted 22 April 2008 - 04:51 PM

It seems to me promisingly. :xd:
Posted Image
"Soviet Union was a superpower and each superpower needs at least 1 war at 5 years to keep army in a good condition." ... my grandpa. USA create wars more frequently.

#5 KaRsKiN

KaRsKiN

• Hosted
  • 208 posts
  •  Skivvy!

Posted 26 April 2008 - 10:52 PM

Well i've applied to be hosted so hopefully what will pan out ok, meanwhile im making good progress. The Allied side is Coded now and i've done about 90% of the unit graphics, i think i just have the Naval and Air units to do. I'll post some more screenshots once i've got all the units in game.

As soon as the Allies are done i'll start coding the Soviets and doing the graphics too. Im looking forward to doing those, im starting to get bored of all the Allied technology now :) I want to get my hands on some big, gritty Soviet hardware. You'll love the Mammoth when you see it, i have big plans for it :p.

Next up will come GDI and Nod. I still have some things to decide about these two factions...in fact i'm going to put it up to discussion...

Right the problem is this;

The campaign will see the player progress throgh the C&C history. First playing as a Soviet Commander, then as an Nod Commander. This presents some problems for Skirmish

Should i;

A) Only have the Allies and the Soviets playable in a Skirmish (as was originally intended when Origins was a RA-RA2 mod) with the GDI and Nod units only available via the campaign

B) Have them all available for the Skirmish so that the player can wage war between the four factions, in the same way C&C: Reloaded does

or

C) Have the Allies/GDI as one side and the Soviets/Nod as the other. When playing a skirmish, the player will select a time frame from the game type menu (in the same way they would a Skirmish mode). If they select RA era, they will play as either the Allies or the Soviets, if they select the TD era, they will play as the GDI or as Nod.

I'd like to have option B, but this presents some problems...

Tiberium/Ore - It would look kind of wierd to see Allied/Soviet units gathering Tiberium as a resource wouldn't it? Although to be honest i could just use ore, as seeing the GDI and Nod harvest ore would seem more likely.

Time Paradox - A minor problem, but it would be strange seeing four factions seperated by 60 years fighting each other?

Balancing - Again a minor problem, but balancing Issues would arrise, for example, GDI and Nod have a lot less units than the Allies and the Soviets.

In the end, option C probably would be the best option, but it would be interesting to see what you guys think of it.

So, could you all tell me your thoughts please? About what you think would work the best?

KaRsKiN
Posted Image

#6 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts
  •  Weird Guy of the Forums

Posted 27 April 2008 - 04:24 AM

with the campaign you could have the Red alert campaign, where you start off as the soviet commander, making your way towards victory, then at the end of the soviet mission, you then switch, and you are now an allied general leading the allies to victory from the brink of destruction by the soviet commander

then the other campaign can be nod/gdi, where you start as nod, destroying GDi, then you switch to gdi saving them from the evil nod
(so its two campaigns in one, one half nod or soviets(depending on what era), the other half gdi or allies)

so sorta like in generals, how the campaigns go in order, but with this you start as the 'bad guys' and then finish with the 'good guys' winning

quote from wikipeadia:

For the storyline to make sense, the proper order to play is China first, then the GLA, then the USA. In this order, China retaliates for a devastating GLA nuclear attack on Beijing, eventually completely crushing the GLA cell masterminding all Pacific rim operations. (Events such as the destruction of the Three Gorges Dam and the use of China's nuclear arsenal are part of this campaign.) The GLA campaign then begins, with the organization trying to recover from its recent setback at the hands of the Chinese, by raising funds and instigating attacks against their American and Chinese antagonists, eventually culminating in the overtaking of the Baikonur Cosmodrome for the firing of a Soyuz launch vehicle bearing a biological MIRV at a nondescript city. At this point the American campaign begins, in which the USA engages the GLA across several locales, including Baghdad and the Caspian Sea, before defeating a rogue Chinese general supporting the terrorists and tracking them back to their base of operations in Akmola, Kazakhstan.

(just to let you know how it goes in generals if you didnt know)

then you can have in skirmish all the sides, and just add new units to balance out the teams

edit:

and my idea for tiberium/ore is that you have ore being ore(so its the normal one), but you replace gems with tiberium

Edited by some_wierdGuy., 27 April 2008 - 04:25 AM.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" -Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Posted Image|Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 Nighthawk

Nighthawk

Grumble Grumble.

• Division Leaders
  • 2,947 posts
  • Projects:The Third War, Ares, misc side projects.
  •  Strategist and Modder
  • Division:C&C Guild
  • Job:Division Leader
  • Association

Posted 27 April 2008 - 09:58 AM

Option C will probably not be possible if you have all four as separate countries. You can't make a country Multiplay=yes/no using a game mode file. If you were to have Allies / GDI in one country, and Soviets / Nod in another, then you could alter the starting units using game mode files, for example:
To play as allies:
;Game mode 1
[AMCV]
AllowedToStartInMultiplayer=yes

; GDI MCV?
[GMCV]
AllowedToStartInMultiplayer=no

Of course, to put four units in the BaseUnit list, you'll need the RockPatch.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Job Openings with the Guild: Division Staff, News Posters.
Job Openings with Ares: Documentation Maintainer, Active Testers.

PM if interested.

#8 KaRsKiN

KaRsKiN

• Hosted
  • 208 posts
  •  Skivvy!

Posted 27 April 2008 - 09:29 PM

Thaks for actually relpying guys!

Option C will probably not be possible if you have all four as separate countries. You can't make a country Multiplay=yes/no using a game mode file. If you were to have Allies / GDI in one country, and Soviets / Nod in another, then you could alter the starting units using game mode files

This was what i meant in plan C, i was going to have perhaps a "Good Guy" team v the "Bad Guy" team which changes depending on the era selected.

with the campaign you could have the Red alert campaign, where you start off as the soviet commander, making your way towards victory, then at the end of the soviet mission, you then switch, and you are now an allied general leading the allies to victory from the brink of destruction by the soviet commander

then the other campaign can be nod/gdi, where you start as nod, destroying GDi, then you switch to gdi saving them from the evil nod
(so its two campaigns in one, one half nod or soviets(depending on what era), the other half gdi or allies)

This seems like a good idea, and its definetly something i'll consider...i haven't wrote the campaign script yet (focusing on getting the beta version finished first) so anything is possible at this point!

then you can have in skirmish all the sides, and just add new units to balance out the teams

Yeah this would be a good idea, plus it would be fun to add some new units to the game, that way i get to use my imagination a bit!

Adding Naval units for GDI and Nod is a must, and i planned that from the start.

and my idea for tiberium/ore is that you have ore being ore(so its the normal one), but you replace gems with tiberium

Yeah i thought of that, but it still doesn't solve the problem of RA harversters collecting tiberium, it's not a major issue but it wouldn't look right...if only there was a way to make different harvesters collect different resources.

Anybody else have any suggestions? At this early point it's likely your ideas will be given serious thought!

EDIT: Although it may look like no progress is being made, i assure you it is, this time tomorrow i should have a lot of screenshots to show you of the Allied Side ingame.

Edited by KaRsKiN, 27 April 2008 - 09:33 PM.

Posted Image

#9 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts
  •  Weird Guy of the Forums

Posted 28 April 2008 - 08:13 AM

it doesnt matter if allied/soviet havesters coolect tiberium, gems arn't as big a deal in that respect, as there isnt anywhere near as much of them, and there are no 'gem drills'

and im sure if tiberium had landed in RA2, the soviets/allies would use their harvesters to collect it, its a harvester, its suppose to collect minerals,(and the green gems are minerals that a growing because of tiberium, which saps the minerals out of the earth and brings them to the surface in crystalline formations)
i know my tiberium :p

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" -Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Posted Image

#10 KaRsKiN

KaRsKiN

• Hosted
  • 208 posts
  •  Skivvy!

Posted 28 April 2008 - 08:33 AM

Granted, but im still not sure.

One thought i had, i've seen mods that have added a 'Third' tiberium type to the game, a lot of TS mods had red tiberium crystals.

If i could do this then it would solve the problem, as i could have 3 different types. 2 ore types and a tiberium type.

Or like you said, tiberium appeared around 1980 didn't it?

The Allied and Soviet governments would still harvest tiberium, as they relialised it's potential, one thing to remember is that at the time of this Mod, Nod isn't a world superpower just a global organization with the most tiberium holdings, that doesn't mean other countries can't harvest it also...

Thanks for that, i'll look into it.

Also, i was thinking of omitting GDI harvesting capabilities altogether. An idea i had was that GDI is a UN funded organisation designed to tackle international terrorism right. For the GDI economy, i was thinking of making thier conyard provide the player with a steady stream of money to represent funding, and also i plan to give GDI a superweapon which provides them with a large sum of money, called UN Funding Grant or something similar. This would make GDI a really powerful seige army, as they can't be starved into submission. To balance things out, GDI units would take longer to build, to represent the fact that they need UN sanctioning before commiting more units to a theatre.

What do you think of this idea?
Posted Image

#11 Nighthawk

Nighthawk

Grumble Grumble.

• Division Leaders
  • 2,947 posts
  • Projects:The Third War, Ares, misc side projects.
  •  Strategist and Modder
  • Division:C&C Guild
  • Job:Division Leader
  • Association

Posted 28 April 2008 - 03:56 PM

Or like you said, tiberium appeared around 1980 didn't it?

1995. GDI and Nod time. Use map filters in your game modes to, for example, give Tiberium maps for the GDI/Nod mode, and Ore maps for the Allies/Soviets.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Job Openings with the Guild: Division Staff, News Posters.
Job Openings with Ares: Documentation Maintainer, Active Testers.

PM if interested.

#12 KaRsKiN

KaRsKiN

• Hosted
  • 208 posts
  •  Skivvy!

Posted 28 April 2008 - 04:37 PM

Yeah that is one option,

But im looking into ways to be able to have both, and it still look reasonable.
Posted Image

#13 raminator

raminator

Humba, Humba, Humba Tätärä

• Hosted
  • 1,600 posts
  • Projects:ehmmm don´t tell you :P
  •  der Biermeister hat gesprochen

Posted 28 April 2008 - 05:51 PM

then you should replace the diamonds with tiberium
Posted Image
if ^ does not work click here
I support Xeno getting well. Go Xeno!

#14 KaRsKiN

KaRsKiN

• Hosted
  • 208 posts
  •  Skivvy!

Posted 28 April 2008 - 06:05 PM

Hmmm, i think thats going to be what i'll do...its the most reasonable option.

Progress Report:

Im working on Naval Units now for the Allies, jesus! It's hard work lol

Im ok with scale and size and everything, but their looking a bit plain at the moment, trying to add detail is proving hard, i'll post some pics of them so far in a couple of hours.
Posted Image

#15 KaRsKiN

KaRsKiN

• Hosted
  • 208 posts
  •  Skivvy!

Posted 28 April 2008 - 11:42 PM

Ok, just a Preview of some things im working on at the moment...

First up, the Allied Gunboat

Posted Image

Before you say anything, this is a work in progress, theres a few graphical bugs that i've noticed, and it needs a lot more detail and attention before it's finished. Im struggling with the Naval units though, and i don't enjoy doing them, so it might be a while before i touch it up. I'll probably just fix the blackspots for now.

Next up is the destroyer :S

Posted Image

It's a pathetic attempt i know, but as i said im struggling for detail with the Naval Voxels, plus im creating these off the top of my head, i'm not using any source material to compare them with.

Again, i'll probably just fix up the colour scheme and the bugs for now.

Ok, i've almost finished the Allied Unit side now, so im going to start on a few Soviet Units. I'm looking forward to these, there a lot more fun to make, because there all big and boxy :wink_new: The Soviet Aircraft are being made by Yurisarmy, i can't make aircraft voxels for ****. One thing i've noticed myself, is that as im making more units, im becoming a better Voxeller. I had no experience whatsoever when i started this Mod. I've got a feeling that the Soviet Units are going to be a hell of a lot better than the Allied ones, and i'm probably going to end up remaking them once i've done everything else.

Saying that, i do have a few surprises up my sleeve, i think that my entry for the Voxel Competition will turn a few heads :crazed: (in all modesty of course)

lol, nah, i'm kidding, but i am getting better at Voxelling, so expect to see some better quality graphics coming soon!

Oh, and i've just about finished the Allied coding now, and im in the process of balancing it. The new rules system im using is proving to be tricky to perfect, but it'll be worth it. Each side is going to play completely differently, with clearly defined Strengths and Weaknesses. Knowing your opponents strenghts, and your own weaknesses will be vital if you whish to win a game of C&C: Origins. One major feature of the Allied side is the Rocket Trooper. It's recieved a HUGE overhaul in this game, making it deadly to Soviet Heavy tanks. A group of Rocket Infantry, supported by Allied tanks can easily chew through a Soviet tank assault, this coupled with the Soviet's lack of Anti-Infantry weaponry means that an Allied player will make good use of his infantry if he whishes to survive against the vast and powerful armies of the Soviets, in a true David and Goliath style :p

I'll post updates as soon as there available.

Oh, and one more thing, i've finished the website now (well, 99%) so i'm just waiting to see if my hosting bid comes through...heres hoping! :p

KaRsKiN out!

Edited by KaRsKiN, 28 April 2008 - 11:43 PM.

Posted Image

#16 Guest_Darknessvolt_*

Guest_Darknessvolt_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2008 - 05:38 AM

......... Cartoony?!

#17 KaRsKiN

KaRsKiN

• Hosted
  • 208 posts
  •  Skivvy!

Posted 29 April 2008 - 06:04 AM

Yeah...there awful, i just can't be arsed to redo them right now, i want to work on the Soviet units!
Posted Image

#18 Romanul

Romanul

title available

• Hosted
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 06:18 AM

oh,and congrats:you have been hosted.

#19 KaRsKiN

KaRsKiN

• Hosted