Voxel Resizer?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Alucard

Alucard

Divinity(s) Dark Truth

• Members
  • 442 posts
  • Projects:EsoTen Productions Presents: Command & Conquer: Centrius Destimonia
  •  Die Schwarzen Reiter

Posted 05 April 2009 - 05:16 PM

Is there one that works well? Other wise I am gonna have to export to pcx and do a manual layer resize of like 10 pixels.
Posted Image Posted Image
"When you refuse to give in with all your heart, only then do you transcend your humanity" -Alucard (HellSing)
"Lick the sounds that bleed from his mouth Rip the heavens with the horns of the south" -Deathstars
And on the eighth day, god created Tiberium.

WebMinon of the CNC Dynasty

#2 True Lord of Chaos

True Lord of Chaos

I have returned, mostly out of boredom.

• Members
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 10:22 PM

I think MadHQ could resize it for you. He's done some good resize work.

Hello everyone. I am back.

#3 FallenDwarf

FallenDwarf

title available

• Members
  • 456 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 11:08 AM

VXLSE III can resize and scale voxels
Posted Image

#4 partyzanPaulZy

partyzanPaulZy

"quarawr!"

• Members
  • 576 posts
  • Projects:Corruption Of Power - YR mod
  •  doing my mod alone till 1st release (then will see)

Posted 06 April 2009 - 02:27 PM

The problem is that VXLSE III doesn't resize voxel itself down...

Edited by partyzanPaulZy, 06 April 2009 - 02:28 PM.

Posted Image
"Soviet Union was a superpower and each superpower needs at least 1 war at 5 years to keep army in a good condition." ... my grandpa. USA create wars more frequently.

#5 Apollo

Apollo

The bringer of doom

• Hosted
  • 3,467 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm, Project Phantom
  •  1337 Modder

Posted 06 April 2009 - 03:35 PM

Is there one that works well? Other wise I am gonna have to export to pcx and do a manual layer resize of like 10 pixels.

all resize there is, is in VXLSE and thats doubling the size and if wanted less big, will have to scale it down by the header values and usually the more bigger voxel, better results as scaled down.

lesser resize if you must have exact sizes (piecing parts together) then pcx method is probably only way unless you hand make it again to the proper size ;)

The problem is that VXLSE III doesn't resize voxel itself down...

Scaling works just fine for reducing size ingame and generally bigger voxel is always better as helps with visuals when scaled down than a vxl with full size/scale (westwoods for example)

so would it really be that necessary to shrink actual voxels?

Edited by Apollo, 06 April 2009 - 03:36 PM.

Posted Image

EAApoc wrote:
The only written law in a C&C game I ever saw is please Mr.Developer make it fun and give me a lot of **** to explode, o and don't you ever get another soul to play Kane but Joe Kucan. Aside from those two rules, all bets are off =) hehe
-APOC

#6 Alucard

Alucard

Divinity(s) Dark Truth

• Members
  • 442 posts
  •  Die Schwarzen Reiter

Posted 07 April 2009 - 12:53 AM

I have tried shrinking the header in the main VXLSE - do I/can I need to edit these values in HVA?

I didn't know that was effective to scale it to make it better - guess that follows the supersampling ideals.
"When you refuse to give in with all your heart, only then do you transcend your humanity" -Alucard (HellSing)
"Lick the sounds that bleed from his mouth Rip the heavens with the horns of the south" -Deathstars

#7 MT

MT

Maverick.

• Members
  • 86 posts
  • Projects:Dominance, a TC for RA2:YR.
  •  I will not be bound, not by space or by time.

Posted 07 April 2009 - 02:20 AM

All I do is decide what I want to shrink it to, say 2/3 of the size.
Then I just delete every 3rd layer in each view, and move them into place by copy, delete, move, paste.
And occasionally choosing the next line if the one currently is important (has a railing, etc).

Although I suppose this method is crude and has its share of problems for complex voxels.
Posted Image
See my Mod: Dominance, a CNC Ra2:YR Total Conversion.

#8 Alucard

Alucard

Divinity(s) Dark Truth

• Members
  • 442 posts
  •  Die Schwarzen Reiter

Posted 07 April 2009 - 05:09 AM

In all honesty - that sounds much more complicated than export to pcx>batch % resize>import pcx2vxl
I usually do about 75% to 80% resize - And I suppose your method keeps it all in one program - which can be considered good.

Edited by Alucard, 07 April 2009 - 05:12 AM.

#9 Apollo

Apollo

The bringer of doom

• Hosted
  • 3,467 posts
  •  1337 Modder

Posted 07 April 2009 - 05:17 AM

I have tried shrinking the header in the main VXLSE - do I/can I need to edit these values in HVA?

I didn't know that was effective to scale it to make it better - guess that follows the supersampling ideals.

No, you use HVA only for animation purposes, the scaling header data is held in the actual voxel file (which VXLSE edits with MIN X, MAX X etc) also applies to voxel offset positioning.

I use HVA Builder to look at the scaling how it looks once i edited them with VXLSE since it reads the scales like game does so you can tell if you scaled it wrong without going ingame :thumbsupsmiley:

as for effectiveness...its generally better to do say 2 pixel detail line than do 1 pixel detail line and when you scale down...that 2 pixel can become 1 pixel wide line but has more of a chance being seen from every direction instead of some going missing since basicly, game voxels tend to blend themselves and strongest colors force themselves out while close to each other shades are blended, now this blending generally isn't so good for textured voxels due to color dominancy and tank side can endup glowing entirely while the lighter colors might be lesser amount compared to darker ones in the side texture.

Basicly if full size voxel becomes dotty or otherwise messy, you can try blend those in by scaling down.
Posted Image

EAApoc wrote:
The only written law in a C&C game I ever saw is please Mr.Developer make it fun and give me a lot of **** to explode, o and don't you ever get another soul to play Kane but Joe Kucan. Aside from those two rules, all bets are off =) hehe
-APOC

#10 Mig Eater

Mig Eater

5700 vxl files & counting...

• Undead
  • 5,833 posts
  • Projects:D-Day
  •  Teh workaholic

Posted 07 April 2009 - 08:37 AM

Scaling is the easiest & quickest way of making a voxel smaller, all you need to do is change six numbers in the header & you're done. Chopping the vxl up or resizing it via PCX just makes a mess of it IMO.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 SSTG

SSTG

alive again!

• Hosted
  • 1,270 posts
  • Projects:might just go back to voxeling
  •  just voxeling stuff

Posted 07 April 2009 - 01:04 PM

I've experienced though if you try resize a voxel to get bigger you may want to use resize in voxel by double first and scale down I've noticed if you resize without this the voxels split apart from the voxel

unless theres a way to avoid this which I'm not sure of
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#12 Alucard

Alucard

Divinity(s) Dark Truth

• Members
  • 442 posts
  •  Die Schwarzen Reiter

Posted 07 April 2009 - 07:33 PM

See my situation is I have resized a voxel to the limits of the game (not completly intentional but supposed to be a big mofo) and the voxel is tiling and causing other voxels to tile as well -

So since I doubled it's size - it is actually better to use the scaler settings to make smaller and thus making a more detailed voxel. I didn't want a 100% sized increase - only about a 70% size increase . so in this case I could use the .7 for the scaler attribute? or even smaller?

#13 Mig Eater

Mig Eater

• Undead
  • 5,833 posts
  •  Teh workaholic

Posted 08 April 2009 - 06:50 AM

You need to edit the bounds in the header, the scale doesn't actually do much.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#14 Jason Zombolt

Jason Zombolt
  • Hosted
  • 60 posts
  • Projects:The Steel Shipyard
  •  The Sword that Cleaves Evil

Posted 13 May 2009 - 05:27 PM

Scaling is the easiest & quickest way of making a voxel smaller, all you need to do is change six numbers in the header & you're done. Chopping the vxl up or resizing it via PCX just makes a mess of it IMO.

Sorry for posting in an old topic :p
Yet how would you do that?
To repeat, sorry
I am Zengar, Zengar Zombolt, The Sword That Cleaves Evil!
Posted Image
There is Nothing I can not Cut!
Posted Image

#15 Mig Eater

Mig Eater

• Undead
  • 5,833 posts
  •  Teh workaholic

Posted 13 May 2009 - 07:36 PM

Open a vxl in VXLSE & press Ctrl + H to open the Header, after that go to the misc tab & you'll see the Bounds (the three min & three max boxes). The Bounds control the vxls size & positioning/off set ingame, the correct default setting for them would be half of the vxl actual size. For example if the vxls length (Z) is 50 then the min setting should be -25 & the max 25, if it's an odd number like 33 then min would be -17.5 & max 17.5 etc.

To make a vxl smaller using these all you have to do is make the min & max settings smaller, so if you have a vxl with length of 50 you can set the min to -20 & the max to 20 & in game the vxl will be 40 pixels long instead of 50.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#16 Jason Zombolt

Jason Zombolt
  • Hosted
  • 60 posts
  • Projects:The Steel Shipyard
  •  The Sword that Cleaves Evil

Posted 13 May 2009 - 08:58 PM

Thanks!
I am Zengar, Zengar Zombolt, The Sword That Cleaves Evil!
Posted Image
There is Nothing I can not Cut!
Posted Image

#17 theend333

theend333
  • Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:09 AM

Hi, i tried making a voxel bigger, it worked but it split my voxel with stripes and the turret moves incorrectly. I tried fixing it with SSTG's method by doubling the size, saving and closing, then opened the voxel again and reduced it to 90%, but it didn't work. Can someone help me?

#18 Graion Dilach

Graion Dilach

Supérior Caliburwielder

• Project Team
  • 2,187 posts
  • Projects:Infinty Engine modding, OpenHV, Attacque Supérior (sometimes)
  •  That guy you keep hearing the stories about.

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:51 AM

What happened when you used SSTG's method? (because that's the sole way it can work).

kuuHd4s.png6pDXsCS.png
n0J1wqE.pngIX8pBXZ.png

AS Discord server: https://discord.gg/7aM7Hm2

ComradeCrimson: AS is the product of Hungarian acid
ComradeCrimson: And magical hussars
Dutchygamer: and Weird Al.

#19 theend333

theend333
  • Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:36 PM

The vehicle still splits when it moves and the turret still moves incorrectly.

#20 Apollo

Apollo

The bringer of doom

• Hosted
  • 3,467 posts
  •  1337 Modder

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:38 AM

Reset the scales and apply the downscaling necessary... Your little resize stunt did not correct them and are infact more screwed until you correct them. Else SSTG's method works fine.

Posted Image

EAApoc wrote:
-APOC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users