• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#41 Romanul

Romanul

title available

• Hosted
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 06:31 AM

Again with using violence in an improper context. That idea has a larger negative connotation, which would be good for your point of view because it whips ignorant people into a frenzy so they rally behind your idea while being oblivious to those pesky things called "facts." The simple fact of the matter is that kids do not suffer from a quick swat to the behind. The metaphorical slap on the wrist is largely ineffective and a ton of bratty kids would benefit from a really solid asskicking.

I meant that you could simply leave him with no internet/tv for weeks,and simply give him books.Its a simple solution,since violence can become addictive,and he can have more time to think on what he did wrong.And here I can mean a lot of weeks.

If you say that there are a lot of bloody stupid children around,its because of their parents.Hell,yesterday I saw how 2 10-year old kids were simply acting like monkeys in the bus(and here I mean the public bus.) in the front of their parents,which were looking as if they were doing something good,and smiling.Only good luck for me is that they were French.

Its the parents who do the bad stuff.

#42 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 22 April 2010 - 06:43 AM

Your talking about in school, not at home which is entirely different.

It's not any different. School is an integral part of life, as much as the home. Not to mention, parents are figures of authority in the home. Teachers are figures of authority in the classroom. As such, they should be allowed to employ better means of discipline than sending a kid out of the room or to the principal. It's ineffective and doesn't mean anything since it does not offer real enough consequences. THAT also needs to be taught as a fundamental lesson in school - if you screw around, bad things will happen. A little bit of pain is an amazing teacher, no matter the circumstances.

I don't know what the opinions are on TV, radio or the internet. Theres no reason to carry on this discussion as you or I will never change our minds... I understand your logic, but logic doesnt make the world right - it makes it work, but it doesnt make it right. Your opinion is like a machine that does its job alright, but will never improve and do it any better because its not going anywhere. Thankfully though we're in different countries and different societies.

But here's the big issue with the "be soft" approach - it makes bratty, rude children. The same methods of a quick swat had been employed for centuries before now and it produced better results. Kids were more well behaved and we did not have the problems we do now. The attitude of going soft is producing lazier children, children who think they're entitled to shit because they weren't properly disciplined and it turns out far more thugs than it should. It would be great to move away from being forced to physically discipline kids, but it's impossible with your approach. It makes the problem worse instead of solving it.

NZ.org | BBPCG
Discord: The Astronomer#1314
Steam

#43 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts
  • Projects:Workin'...
  •  ...like a workin' man do.
  • Division:Role-Playing Games
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 22 April 2010 - 07:35 AM

I have nothing more to add, I'm just throwing my weight behind Beowulf's argument because I think he's absolutely right.

Actually, Romanul, to your 'violence is addictive' point, I kinda see where you're coming from, but the whole vicious cycle where a child is beaten and turns into an abusive father and all that only happens when children are seriously abused. We're not promoting wholesale violence, just the occasional smack for being a dick. That sort of thing, 99 times out of 100, ends there and doesn't get recycled for the next generation.
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#44 Romanul

Romanul

title available

• Hosted
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 09:55 AM

Well,only kind of smack I also agree is when they're small,like not more than 7 years.Hell,IIRC UNICEF study said that if you smack a child before the age of 7,it might help him be a bit more smarter.BUT:

-Not a lot,since it can become abusive.
-Not after the age,since the child is no longer that...well...the kiddo is smarter.And he can become himself violent.

#45 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  • Projects:Writing Words With Letters
  •  I Help
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Community Admin

Posted 22 April 2010 - 02:32 PM

IIRC UNICEF study said that if you smack a child before the age of 7,it might help him be a bit more smarter.

That can't be true... statistics are stupid, but that's just whip cream on a Twinkie right there.

#46 OmegaBolt

OmegaBolt

Lost In The New Real

• Hosted
  • 6,273 posts
  • Projects:Red-Resurrection
  •  O'Bolt

Posted 22 April 2010 - 04:09 PM

Smash a kids head against a rock and his IQ soars, just like Stephen Hawking.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#47 Puppeteer

Puppeteer

title available

• Global Moderators
  • 2,947 posts
  •  Faute de Mieux
  • Job:Magazine Staff/Global Moderator

Posted 22 April 2010 - 05:06 PM

I think the one thing we can take from this thread is the value of proportion, and when not to blow a situation way the hell out of it.

#48 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 22 April 2010 - 05:11 PM

Heh... that's the lesson we should get out of this entire site.

#49 olli

olli

Resident Pilot

• Project Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • Projects:Remix Escalation Top Quality Imaginer and Pro Tester. CnC Guild Gossip Whore
  •  Misanthropic Hulking Adonis

Posted 22 April 2010 - 09:16 PM

You all make me sick with your evil violent ways. I bet you want to say its ok to poke things up them as well? How could you harm a child? An innocent sweet child?

The only way to make a child behave is through love. If it misbehaves more, you're not loving hard enough!
Posted Image
CnC Guild - As ancient as time itself.
Do you like anything CnC releated? Then the CnC guild likes you! Go make friends with it.

Latest Remix Escalation on ModDB
Remix Escalation on Revora - Track the latest news and changes.

#50 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 22 April 2010 - 09:22 PM

Sometimes love is beating the brains out of your baby.

#51 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts
  • Projects:Workin'...
  •  ...like a workin' man do.
  • Division:Role-Playing Games
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 22 April 2010 - 09:39 PM

Three options: somebody hijacked Olli's account, he's being very sarcastic or we've accidentally touched upon something that's got him giddy with outrage. I'm plumping for the second one.

Hey, who wants to share to what degree their parents hit them when they were little? I'll start: very rarely, but the threat was there. Especially because my mum's left-handed, and being clobbered with a wedding ring really hurts.
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#52 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 22 April 2010 - 10:46 PM

I hope you don't feel stupid if no-one else has anything to say about that.

#53 olli

olli

Resident Pilot

• Project Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • Projects:Remix Escalation Top Quality Imaginer and Pro Tester. CnC Guild Gossip Whore
  •  Misanthropic Hulking Adonis

Posted 22 April 2010 - 10:53 PM

Parents smacking children is one of the best ways of discipline. However, it all depends on the situation. I love watching Supernanny...I’ve picked up some great parenting tips from it. However, in some situations, sitting on the naughty step is not viable. If a child screams blue murder and starts crying in the supermarket because it's not getting the sweets or crisps or whatever junkshite it wants, you hit the little shit so it has a reason to cry.

I don’t mean punch it, but a good spanking to the back of the legs so it stings is great. The child won’t do it again. If it does, you remind it why it shouldn’t.

I remember the hiding I got from my dad when I was outrageously rude to him when I was about 7. Never seen his face so full of rage, it absolutely terrified me. He chased me the length of the garden, and inevitably I ran out of garden... My legs were so sore I couldn't sit down for about half an hour. I didn't do it again...but now I'm about a foot and a half (maybe more) taller than him. So, that doesn't exist anymore. Now, if he has a go at me about my messy hair, or not being shaven or whatever I give him some banter about how I could beat him up...he won’t learn... it ends with him in a headlock, or arms behind his back, shouting at me "I'M OLD! STOP! YOU'LL HURT ME!"
He's proud inside though. I know it.

And Vort, you were plumping correctly!
Posted Image
CnC Guild - As ancient as time itself.
Do you like anything CnC releated? Then the CnC guild likes you! Go make friends with it.

Latest Remix Escalation on ModDB
Remix Escalation on Revora - Track the latest news and changes.

#54 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 22 April 2010 - 10:59 PM

You beat your dad up when he tells you to shave? He he he... Viking Power!

If a child screams blue murder

That's what dolphin huggers scream when they watch Avatar.

#55 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 23 April 2010 - 04:07 AM

Hey, who wants to share to what degree their parents hit them when they were little? I'll start: very rarely, but the threat was there. Especially because my mum's left-handed, and being clobbered with a wedding ring really hurts.

Let's see. Only once was a belt employed because that's a tiny bit severe, but my mom had a solid plastic spatula she used to use. Of course, that was only after she whacked my brother with the ruler and snapped it in two. After a couple times of being whacked by that spatula, we wised up fast... and shit, I'm in my twenties and the threat is still present. XD

NZ.org | BBPCG
Discord: The Astronomer#1314
Steam

#56 Romanul

Romanul

title available

• Hosted
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 01:19 PM

Um...I think I was spanked only once in my life.

This was pretty much at what I was thinking.Not something like a belt,or something brutal,but just a small spank won't hurt THAT MUCH.

I'm not for "Lets spank him daily!" idea.

#57 Radspakr Wolfbane

Radspakr Wolfbane

The John Farnham of modding

• Members
  • 7,722 posts
  • Projects:Comeback tour
  •  The Retired Beard

Posted 23 April 2010 - 03:03 PM

I should clarify my position I'm a believer in a parent smacking a child (or adults) if they are throwing a tantrum or have done something wrong.
But it should only ever be the parent's job not the teacher,the Uncle or Grandparent.
A smack should only be empty handed with no weapons.

Break dancing into the hearts of millions

#58 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 23 April 2010 - 04:18 PM

I wonder if Chuck Norris beats his kids... Oh that's right, he's infertile. SMACK!

#59 Hostile

Hostile

Benefitting Humanity Simply by Showing Up!

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Global Administrator
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 23 April 2010 - 06:46 PM

My dad used to have a special stick. It sucked being beaten with a stick. The worst part was when dad said "go get my stick" the stick was not a twig it was a 3 inch by 1 inch by 3 foot piece of wood.

Not a pleasant series of memories. For some reason dad used a stick to beat us. I never understood that. This occurred from the age of 4 to about 11 years old. Then he left and they got divorced.

"Go get my stick" was the hardest thing to hear. Because you have to go get the stick which you are about to be beaten with. Those 30 secs it took to get it was a LONG 30 seconds. One tends to walk slowly when getting the stick. Delay the inevitible as long as you can.

#60 Imagine

Imagine
  • Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 09:09 PM

I'm guessing in that 30 seconds you took some times to measure the beating sticks dimensions with another more preferable beating stick?
They say the future is only as predictable as the past..... Probably because they're the same thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users