Radspakr Wolfbane

The John Farnham of modding

• Members
  • 7,722 posts
  • Projects:Comeback tour
  •  The Retired Beard

Posted 24 August 2011 - 04:22 PM

Number 10 sounds like Team Plasma's goals. :p
While I like the idea of a Pokemon RPG (I'm playing Pokemon Black as I type this)
I don't know about the semi-realism adult style.

Break dancing into the hearts of millions

#2 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts
  • Projects:Workin'...
  •  ...like a workin' man do.
  • Division:Role-Playing Games
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 25 August 2011 - 07:26 AM

This thread is for the things you want to talk about that don't really fit in the other topics, or just have a half-baked thought about the game that you think might be able to improve things for everyone. Whatever it is, feel free to air it here.

@ Radspakr: I don't know what Team Plasma's goals are, having never played those later games. But that's why we're here, in Kanto, with the original 150. And give the style a chance. It makes a lot more sense than normal pokémon. I'd be glad to have you here if you feel like giving it a chance.
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#3 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 25 August 2011 - 08:03 AM

Think of Team Plasma as the Pokemon equivalent of PETA, except a little bit less insane.

NZ.org | BBPCG
Discord: The Astronomer#1314
Steam

#4 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 08:20 AM

That doesn't sound very criminal. I was assuming they would be of a kind with Team Rocket. I guess I can understand their motives, then, but they're not present in Kanto because frankly, I don't like their name. We've got our own pokémon rights movement now. :)
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#5 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 25 August 2011 - 09:39 AM

No. It's still insane and they're a criminal organization like Team Rocket. They're more enigmatic than Team Rocket though. But still clearly out of their goddamn minds.

NZ.org | BBPCG
Discord: The Astronomer#1314
Steam

#6 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 10:17 AM

Fair enough. Well, our movement's all above board and non-profit and really in it because they believe pokémon battling is cruel. The two most prominent members of the organisation are Bill and Mr. Fuji, so I'm sure you can imagine what sort of people they'd attract.

Oh, and thanks for the map. That's a much better one than any I was able to find. Maybe I just wasn't looking very hard. I was really focusing on other things.

#7 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts
  •  Weird Guy of the Forums

Posted 25 August 2011 - 11:09 AM

I was going to post something here but i've decided it would be better to send it via private message, so vort you have mail.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" -Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Posted Image|Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 03:43 PM

By the way, anyone and everyone: if you have a suggestion for a better name for this RPG than 'Pokémon: Different Class' I would be happy to hear it. Between you lot and me, I picked that because I couldn't think of anything and then spotted my Ed Byrne DVD of that name. So yeah, ideas?

#9 Neth

Neth

God's Shadow

• Project Team
  • 930 posts
  • Projects:Taking over the world
  •  Technician of Execution

Posted 26 August 2011 - 06:12 PM

I'm going to put up a character, just thinking about stuff just now...Edit: I want to acquire a Scyther at some point :p

Edited by Neth, 26 August 2011 - 06:22 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

This face means nothing, these hands hold nothing, these lungs are empty, these eyes are blind

#10 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 06:36 PM

Happy to have you involved, Neth. And there will be opportunity to acquire a scyther sooner or later.

#11 Radspakr Wolfbane

Radspakr Wolfbane

• Members
  • 7,722 posts
  •  The Retired Beard

Posted 27 August 2011 - 05:49 AM

Think of Team Plasma as the Pokemon equivalent of PETA, except a little bit less insane.

I was thinking that while playing.
They probably chose Plasma because PETP doesn't have a good ring to it :p

Pokemon isn't really supposed to make sense it's kind of what makes it great a good escapism.
I'll see how it comes together before I decide whether to join or not.

#12 Neth

Neth

God's Shadow

• Project Team
  • 930 posts
  • Projects:Taking over the world
  •  Technician of Execution

Posted 27 August 2011 - 05:21 PM

I need a way to work Keiran in properly :p Where are you heading for? So I know where I could be heading to kind of meet?

Posted Image
Posted Image

This face means nothing, these hands hold nothing, these lungs are empty, these eyes are blind

#13 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 06:07 PM

Read the posts and you'll see. Currently Caitlin and Killian (Athos and I) are in a roadside hostel between Saffron and Cerulean. Jorah and (I assume) Claire (Mike and SWG) are somewhere else, but presumably soon to meet us. There are lots of ways to work yourself in. Just try not to make it feel too, you know, shoehorn-y.

By the way, Mike, I edited your post a wee bit, to change the word 'reptile' to 'mammal'. Cubones have fur. Reptiles don't. Thus, mammal. Also, marowaks are maternal, which is something else reptiles aren't. I mean, just look at your avatar. That's exactly how I'm picturing your little cubone, and that's definitely a mammal.

#14 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 05:45 AM

By the way, Mike, I edited your post a wee bit, to change the word 'reptile' to 'mammal'. Cubones have fur. Reptiles don't. Thus, mammal. Also, marowaks are maternal, which is something else reptiles aren't. I mean, just look at your avatar. That's exactly how I'm picturing your little cubone, and that's definitely a mammal.

Apparently cubone is actually based of a theropod, so i'd say the creator of mike's avatar was taking some artistic liberties by changing it into a furry little whatever it is (squirl?).

Posted Image

#15 Radspakr Wolfbane

Radspakr Wolfbane

• Members
  • 7,722 posts
  •  The Retired Beard

Posted 28 August 2011 - 01:30 PM

I've got a question.
Since this is set in Kanto and you are focusing on the first 151 will this exclude the baby Pokemon introduced in later generations?
Pokemon like Cleffa,Igglybuff,Tyrogue,Pichu,Munchlax etc.

#16 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts
  • Projects:The Peloponnesian Wars Mod.
  •  There are no heroes, no villains - only decisions.
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Global Moderator

Posted 28 August 2011 - 03:00 PM

It's fine for it to be a mammal, Vort. That actually works with my supposition that they have primate-like intelligence and tool usage. By the way, where are we supposed to meet up? That hostel you're in?

#17 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 07:12 PM

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Seems as good a place as any. Of course, if any of you would prefer to meet us in other ways, by all means hold off for a little while and come along in a bit.

Rad: Yes, I'm ignoring the pre-evolutions and whatnot that come in later generations. We'll say, if we move to a different country at any point, that the reason there are different growth patterns and forms of pokémon is because they're only cousins of the Kanto pokémon, so naturally they've evolved differently, having been separate for however many years.

#18 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 04:07 AM

I was thinking since my character is hurt that we would stop off at the hostel to see if they can help/rest a little, thus uniting the 4 of us in one place ready for the last lot to join and somehow have reason to stick together as a group.

Edited by some_weirdGuy, 29 August 2011 - 04:09 AM.

Posted Image

#19 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 09:35 AM

Fine by me. Drop by any time now-ish.

#20 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 04:01 AM

I was reading your 'noteworthy pokemon' topic and what you've done with eevees had me cringing. You've removed pokeballs cause of how unrealistic they are.. yet you have eevees evolving when they are 'exposed' to rubys, quartz, and opal/mother of pearl?

This really doesn't seem to sit right at all with the pretense of making pokemon more 'realistic'. Replacing thunder/fire/water stones with different real world gem stones instead doesn't make it reasonable(atleast when they were made up magical stones you could pass it off with 'a wizard did it' type premise).

Genetic predisposition and environmental influences are reasonable, but how on earth could ruby exposure effect a creatures growth. They're not radioactive or something, and a gemstone like that is really not any different to any other gem stone like quartz.

You seem to have removed the evolution stones from everything else, why have this ludicrous construction here? Certainly you don't have to cut the link and say that each are a different species (even if this makes the most sense it still spoils the fun a bit), but don't make it based on 'gemstone exposure' as that sounds about as ridiculous as my cat turning into a mouse by keeping it locked in a room with a wheel of cheese in the corner.

If anything i would make it that eevee tend to only evolve due to environmental triggers or something, or expose to elements which actually make sense in a way that acctually makes sense.

For example maybe you could track an eevee's evolution into a vaporeon by measuring the levels of silver in its blood. The silver causes its skin to turn blue through Argyria, and it eventually fully develops into a Vaporeon under the right environmental factors.

Evolution down this path (given the right genetics) could then be stimulated by small injections or collodial silver consumption or something.
Similar processess would go for flareon and jolteon too. Perhaps sulphur could play a part in flareons evolution and sodium in jolteons? These elements make much more sense from an 'exposure' stand point, as they could definitely be 'exposed' to them(and take them into their bodies) though their environment and diets, unlike rubies and stuff.

((side note: I'm tempted to suggest that you actually make Vaporeon a separate sub-species though, since eevee, flareon and jolteon are all quite similar while vaporeon is... a fish. But take that how you will.))

Anyway, a quick change to your description makes it:

Eevees are an entirely unique pokémon. They are known to evolve into three later forms: vaporeon, a water-type; jolteon, an electric-type; and flareon, a fire-type. However, consensus opinion has it that there are likely many more forms that simply have not yet been discovered. Certain types of mineral appear to have different effects on an eevee. When exposed to high sodium diets, it appears that an eevee is more liekly to turn into a jolteon. Similarly, the presence of sulphur in the bloodstream begins an eevee's growth into a flareon. To make an eevee grow into a vaporeon, collodial silver can be used.
So far research indicates there may be merit to inducing these conditions to promote specific evolution, but equally the differences seen so far may be simply that each pokémon is unique, and the overlap of results renders it all rather inconclusive. Eevees themselves are relatively weak pokémon, not wisely used in combat. Their various adult forms, however, can grow to be extremely powerful, displaying an unusual level of mastery over their elemental affinities which few other pokémon can match.

which sits more comfortably with me from a scientific stand point...

... my god, I'm arguing the science of pokemon... I now sit atop a new pinnacle of nerdiness :X

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users