Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts
  • Projects:Workin'...
  •  ...like a workin' man do.
  • Division:Role-Playing Games
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 30 August 2011 - 10:32 AM

Oh shit, did I forget to change that? I wrote that bit on the eevees up when I was first thinking about this. My bad.

Edit: Aaaaaand fixed. Apologies. By the way, what did y'all think about the rest of my noteworthies?
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#22 Elvenlord

Elvenlord

Polis Ranger

• Advisors
  • 3,838 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 30 August 2011 - 03:38 PM

Why basalt for Vapareon? I would think limestone would better, since it's partially made up of old marine life :p

elvenlordbanner.jpg

#23 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 03:52 PM

Basalt is what makes up the vast majority of the sea floor, was my thinking. But it's also relatively common on land, so it would make sense that the eevee it affects would grow into something amphibious. Of course, limestone is also a possibility. Maybe one day a scientist will look into that and see if it affects an eevee's growth like basalt does. Is that a satisfactory answer?
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#24 Elvenlord

Elvenlord

Polis Ranger

• Advisors
  • 3,838 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 30 August 2011 - 03:59 PM

You know what, I'm not even going to go into it :p

elvenlordbanner.jpg

#25 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 04:02 PM

No, you totally should! I'm trying to make this as realistic and scientific as possible (obviously within certain limits), but the major problem with this is that I know shit all about science, so I'm more or less just making it up according to what I can remember from my old classes and various science fiction I've read down the years. If you know more than me, please feel free to discuss the no-doubt many and varied implausibilities of my assumptions and imaginings.

#26 Elvenlord

Elvenlord

Polis Ranger

• Advisors
  • 3,838 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 30 August 2011 - 08:08 PM

It's just that basalt on land is far more likely to be a dike of some sort, or columns, which do not form under water and thus has nothing to do with the ocean, as opposed to being a dried up seabed. In fact, basalt being the deciding factor would cause most vaporeons to be in the mountains, especially volcanic mountains, as that's where the vast majority of basalt on land is created. Remember basalt is an igneous rock, and is created directly from cooling magma.

tl;dr, basalt is created from lava and is more likely to be near volcanoes than to be an old dried up seabed.

elvenlordbanner.jpg

#27 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 08:52 PM

Okay then, so you would suggest limestone instead? Does the geologist in you have anything to add as to the reasoning behind that? Because my single year of what could loosely be termed studying the subject has ill prepared me for this debate.

#28 Elvenlord

Elvenlord

Polis Ranger

• Advisors
  • 3,838 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 30 August 2011 - 10:18 PM

I actually am studying geology :p

I say limestone because it is actually partially made up of ancient sea life. Plus, almost all cave system are through limestone bedrock because how easily it is eroded, usually by water. I think that may be interesting.

elvenlordbanner.jpg

#29 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 10:25 PM

Good enough for me. To the editorium!

#30 Elvenlord

Elvenlord

Polis Ranger

• Advisors
  • 3,838 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 30 August 2011 - 11:28 PM

Posted Image

elvenlordbanner.jpg

#31 {IRS}Athos

{IRS}Athos

Non Sequitur

• Members
  • 4,008 posts
  • Projects:Ex-Advisor
  •  Resident Shakespearean.

Posted 31 August 2011 - 03:20 AM

@ Elvenlord: Athos approves (+3)
BulletsfromaGunbanner_zps974f3ea8.png

Careful. This link is DANGEROUS. Do NOT click it. This one, however, is fine.

I had the meaning of life in my signature, but it exceeded the character limit.

#32 Elvenlord

Elvenlord

Polis Ranger

• Advisors
  • 3,838 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 31 August 2011 - 06:01 AM

Glad you liked it. I cropped it just for this :p

elvenlordbanner.jpg

#33 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts
  •  Weird Guy of the Forums

Posted 31 August 2011 - 06:24 AM

((VORT: Sorry for all the edits here, but I want to keep this as well-written and grammar'd and whatnot as I can. Also, try to avoid using other people's characters too much, especially beyond the point where they interact with your own. So putting in what Caitlin is thinking is definitely overstepping the mark. You don't even have any idea what sort of person she is yet, remember, so please don't go defining other people's characters for them, whether you meant to or not.))

I was trying to start a running gag with the shroomish = sick parasect thing :(

And you guys go defining my character all the time XD right now you defined her as pretty incompetent and more ignorant of pokemon than I ever planned (i mean, mixing up one fire fox's name with a different fire fox's name is quite different to not knowing what a raichu is, especially since they have raichu in the hoenn area).

Mike also defined her by having her hide up a tree rather than battling the wild raticate competently(even though he only did it with the intention of giving himself a chance to have a battle while being able to meet up with my character, considering it a good way to kill two birds with one stone i think).

I just (partially) went along with it under a 'oh well whats done is done' mindset, even though that's not quite how I planned my character to be.

I mean, I tried to show more of how I imagined her when she kicked that raticate in the face instead of having to be rescued by Jorah. She's based of those pokemon rangers from ruby/sapphire/emerald, who were pokemon trainers cross survival experts who cared about protecting wild pokemon and such*. ((thus why she felt bad when she thought she'd killed the raticate))
So while she's a beginner trainer, which implies a certain level of amateurism, she was still meant to embody that kind of pokemon ranger type expertise.

Also I'm sorry but I cannot stand 'with no little curiosity', 'inquisitively' sounds far less childish and means the same thing (so i'm actually kinda confused as to why you changed that bit).

*(which is different to the pokemon trainer swat teams you've just made up under the same name, though again i had planned to just go along with it even if that's not what I had meant for my character).

Edited by some_weirdGuy, 31 August 2011 - 06:34 AM.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" -Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Posted Image|Posted Image
Posted Image

#34 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 08:41 AM

Well, what I made of your character was just a continuation of what you and Mike had already started. Also, I believe I've stated before that I haven't played the later games, so I didn't know the Pokémon Rangers were a real thing. Either way, they're different here, so that's what you've got to go with. That's also why I wasn't sure if they had raichus in the later games. I thought by that point they were making up entire new sets for the new worlds.

Besides, the way you've set Claire up here seems to point to the kind of person who would be unprepared for the real world. She's a teenage rebellion act with a pet mushroom in a land she doesn't know much about a long way from home. That's naturally going to lead to a higher than usual level of emotional distress.

OK, everyone, anything above minimal godmodding is hereby disallowed, if you weren't sure of that already. By 'minimal godmodding' I mean you can use someone else's character in a conversation, or in a greater capacity if previously agreed with the owner of said character, but you cannot go delving into someone else's thoughts or motivations or dictating their actions, especially if those actions don't seem to fit with the already-established canonical traits of that character. Is that comprehensible?

#35 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 10:54 AM

Machop/machoke/machamp now added to the list of noteworthy pokémon.

#36 {IRS}Athos

{IRS}Athos

Non Sequitur

• Members
  • 4,008 posts
  • Projects:Ex-Advisor
  •  Resident Shakespearean.

Posted 31 August 2011 - 07:10 PM

I had a brilliant character idea involving a guy whose family had obsessively bred Magikarp in hopes that one of them would become a Gyrados. Then I realized that fish pokemon are absolutely useless. :p
BulletsfromaGunbanner_zps974f3ea8.png

Careful. This link is DANGEROUS. Do NOT click it. This one, however, is fine.

I had the meaning of life in my signature, but it exceeded the character limit.

#37 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 07:16 PM

That sounds interesting, and plausible. Although what they would do with a gyarados is anyone's guess. It's not like it would fit in a garden pond. Then again, nor would magikarp after a while, so they'd probably need some kind of colossal operation, like a salmon farm but for magikarp. That'd be plausible. But then the gyarados would just escape and go join the herd in the storm belt. They can feel it from a long way off. Like birds and their built-in compass for migrating. Gyarados be smart.

So hey, how about you guys actually go and post in the story? You know, the part this is actually supposed to be all about?

#38 Copaman

Copaman

Ryan

• Project Team
  • 2,144 posts
  • Projects:Winning.
  •  Slowly becoming a Veteran

Posted 01 September 2011 - 01:16 AM

Vort, are you limiting this to the first 151 Pokemon?

I am interested in joining but I would like a Cyndaquil as it's always been my favorite.

Edited by Copaman, 01 September 2011 - 01:17 AM.

Posted Image

If you meet me:

Have some courtesy,

Have some sympathy,

And some taste.

Use all your well-learned politesse,

Or I'll lay your soul to waste.

#39 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 07:20 AM

Actually I'm more or less limiting this to the first 149, with a couple of exceptions. SWG asked for special dispensation for a non-Kanto pokémon because his character is from a different country. I'd prefer not to let more foreign pokémon in, although I'm more okay with cyndaquil than shroomish because at least I actually played Gold and Silver. I guess the question is, would you be willing to participate if you weren't allowed your cyndaquil?

#40 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts
  •  Weird Guy of the Forums

Posted 01 September 2011 - 09:22 AM

Before I say anything I just want to say that I didn't mind you guys defining my character and stuff in the ways you have been, I tended to see that simply as part of doing an RPG. If you wanted complete control you would just write a book yourself or something. but:

Well, what I made of your character was just a continuation of what you and Mike had already started. Also, I believe I've stated before that I haven't played the later games, so I didn't know the Pokémon Rangers were a real thing. Either way, they're different here, so that's what you've got to go with. That's also why I wasn't sure if they had raichus in the later games. I thought by that point they were making up entire new sets for the new worlds.

It still defined my character in a far more drastic way than anything I did to yours. I would have thought if you took such exception to other people acting for your character that you would avoid doing so yourself to others.
((on that note i'm still confused: What about having her think shroomish looked like a sick parasect was character defining? about the only thing it defines is that she knows what a parasect is... is she meant not meant to know that for some reason? is thinking that somehow violently against her character? throw me a bone here))

and like real life theres some overlap between different areas, i remember gen 3 had( *quickly searches it up* ) merills, goldeens, magicarps, tenacool, oddish, sandshrew, geodude, machop, slugma, jigglypuff, abra...
well you get the idea, there's a fair few of them. Not every single pokemon from previous games, but a selection of them. (and thats not including saffari zone)

Besides, the way you've set Claire up here seems to point to the kind of person who would be unprepared for the real world. She's a teenage rebellion act with a pet mushroom in a land she doesn't know much about a long way from home. That's naturally going to lead to a higher than usual level of emotional distress.

OK, everyone, anything above minimal godmodding is hereby disallowed, if you weren't sure of that already. By 'minimal godmodding' I mean you can use someone else's character in a conversation, or in a greater capacity if previously agreed with the owner of said character, but you cannot go delving into someone else's thoughts or motivations or dictating their actions, especially if those actions don't seem to fit with the already-established canonical traits of that character. Is that comprehensible?

She's still not (quite) as ignorant or incompetent as its been made out. Its like someone who knows two languages, just cause they're second language isn't 100% flawless doesn't mean they're stupid or something.
Same thing here. Just cause she doesn't know every single kanto pokemon by sight doesn't mean she isn't well versed in her knowledge. She certainly knows much more about Kanto pokemon than your characters know about Hoenn pokemon XD.

Anyway, I suppose I should make it clearer here then and just say:
Being attacked by a nasty raticate and not coming out flawlessly is a reasonable enough thing for a rookie trainer to face, but can we not push her ineptitude too far. She's still meant to be a proper trainer after all.

I was tempted to ask you to change the raichu thing, but I think its passable since(that check just then that i did reveals) pikachu was a safari zone only pokemon, so she may not therefore be familiar with what a raichu is based on its name alone(though my thinking is that she does know what one is she just didn't recognise the name).

Vort, are you limiting this to the first 151 Pokemon?

I am interested in joining but I would like a Cyndaquil as it's always been my favorite.

i managed to get myself a shroomish.
I actually think this should have stuck to the gen 1 pokemon but included any of the later pokemon that should have existed, by which i mean stuff like those pre-evolutions/evolutions of gen 1 pokemon that were introduced in later games.
like magmar and electabuzz's pre-evolutions, steelix, that pre-evolution of hitmonlee/chan, etc.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" -Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users