The Lazy Modder

• Division Leaders
  • 1,555 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring and the HD Editions
  •  Mathijs' Bug fix expert
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Leader

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:33 PM

Hey people of Revora thanks for hosting me I really really appreciate it ! But I may not be updating for a while since i've come down with a very bad fever which i'll have to go check if it is dengue, which i really hope not, But i'll get back to modding and giving you guys some more updates as soon as i can. But for now :

A Little Update :

- the Elves i was able to get the civilians to spawn from the citadel (still trying to get it to work with men) so no one spawns from mallorn trees, lorien archers for the lorien barracks (i'll be having another barracks for mirkwood and other special units), forge is protected by mirkwood archers, and the ent moot is protected by 1 ent
- Uruk Camps are protected by orcs instead of uruks i think a weaker base would fit because of how strong they are now ( a warg pit has wargs so i might update the warg sentry to have more wargs or disable I'm still thinking about it)
- Dwarves will have Miners by the Mines maybe i'll have civilians spawn from the fortress which may fit via Alliance with Dale <-- I want an opinion on this one
- Mordor is generally protected by orcs (of course) the haradrim palace by haradrim, tavern by corsairs, troll cage by 1 troll
- Men is the same so far
- Wild is genrally protected by goblins , Half Trolls - Fissure ( maybe updating fissure model never really liked it), spiders - spider pit

I think that's all i have to say for now till next time guys

99dxc486ltde132zg.jpgh5je9noaofg3o26zg.jpg

No parent should have to bury their child - King Theoden

#2 Elric

Elric

Designer

• Hosted
  • 2,857 posts
  • Projects:Middle-Earth Expanded
  •  Coder
  • Donated

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:01 PM

The Dwarven minors and other civilians would be great. Now dale on the other hand i mean it wouldnt be a bad idea but hmm maybe model a dwarf civ?

#3 Rider of Rohan

Rider of Rohan

The Lazy Modder

• Division Leaders
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:12 PM

Hmm maybe I'll wait and see how some Dwarf Civilians might look if i might catch a glimpse of them in one of the Hobbit Movies ;)

#4 Elric

Elric

Designer

• Hosted
  • 2,857 posts
  •  Coder
  • Donated

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:19 AM

Good idea. :p

#5 njm1983

njm1983

title available

• Project Team
  • 2,867 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:42 PM

Nice. Like all the use of the civilian and or units. Using regular orcs for the isengard buildings is a great idea. The uruks would be used for attacking not guarding.

With the dale units it makes sense to have them intermingled if you will have units from dale. Visually it'd look funny with dale archers running around outside a dwarven citadel. So I'd go with dwarf building - then dwarf civies. Dwarf military building - dwarf soldiers. Dale building - dale civies. Dale military building - dale soldiers.

#6 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts
  • Projects:The 4th Age
  •  The very worst T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:56 PM

I wouldn't use wargs or trolls as an auto-defence for your buildings. As njm is going on about, wargs and trolls are also very much attacking units, not defending. Not to mention that they're pretty powerful (atleast the troll).

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

The 4th Age version 0.8 has been released: Link

#7 Rider of Rohan

Rider of Rohan

The Lazy Modder

• Division Leaders
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:16 PM

I see your point, I guess more orcs then ! And for the ent moot for elves i'll probably replace the ent with a few lorien warriors and for rohan probably some spearmen

#8 Radspakr Wolfbane

Radspakr Wolfbane

The John Farnham of modding

• Members
  • 7,722 posts
  • Projects:Comeback tour
  •  The Retired Beard

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:54 AM

I had the same idea a while back with LW.
The "defending units" I found that they were ineffective as defenders and from memory they continued to spawn even when the citadel was destroyed (the whole base had to be destroyed for them to stop spawning).

Break dancing into the hearts of millions

#9 Elric

Elric

Designer

• Hosted
  • 2,857 posts
  •  Coder
  • Donated

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:27 PM

Unless you make there re-spawn rate insanely high so they only re-spawn after say: 9999999999999999999999999999

#10 Unknown

Unknown

title available

• Hosted
  • 1,314 posts
  • Projects:Work
  •  I changed

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:50 PM

Apollo has an idea there... But only use that idea if you want them spawned only once throughout the entire structures life span.

And Lauri also has a huge point, one I did this long ago and I found out that the troll was causing a lot of space problems and such but I think orcs, peasants, goblins and regular basic soldiers is fine :p

And if you want to be very unique, make a new unit for each faction that defend the structures :)

#11 Rider of Rohan

Rider of Rohan

The Lazy Modder

• Division Leaders
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:31 AM

@ Radspakr i don't think i've encountered a problem with units respawning (or as yet)
@ Unknown I think once more units are in game for the other factions i'll probably be using them as the patrols especially for elves and the rohirrim of course

And you'd you'll think it would be a good idea to have calvary units guard the stables e.t.c. or would you think they'd be to powerful

#12 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Leader

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:46 AM

I think it'd be cool if Royal Guards guarded the stable, what with the Rohirrim valuing their horses so greatly.

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#13 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:00 AM

But without horses. Horses aren't ideal for defending.

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

#14 Elric

Elric

Designer

• Hosted
  • 2,857 posts
  •  Coder
  • Donated

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:04 AM

what ive thought would always be cool is if the riders of rohan could get off there horses and the horses would stay still or follow the rider and that the rider can then go back and hop on. so that both horse and rider are always on the map at the same time. more realistic but it would probably be hard to do. haha

#15 Unknown

Unknown

title available

• Hosted
  • 1,314 posts
  •  I changed

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:53 PM

what ive thought would always be cool is if the riders of rohan could get off there horses and the horses would stay still or follow the rider and that the rider can then go back and hop on. so that both horse and rider are always on the map at the same time. more realistic but it would probably be hard to do. haha

It can be complex but if you create a horde with just the two units, then you can make a the mount convert the horde into one unit :p
Or even better, make the horse became a slaved object with a very small travel radius to the unit dismounted ;)
So its not all to hard

#16 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:54 PM

It's not hard to get a horse to follow a rider.

It's hard to make it possible to mount and dismount this creature back and forth. Especially with a horde.

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

#17 Bofur

Bofur

The Bolicious One

• Hosted
  • 1,766 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Firstborn
  •  The Bolicious T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:44 PM

You could just switch between units... One with a horse following and one with it mounted, as we don't actually see the mounting in BFME.

left64_by_obsidianlake-d5ruayp.pngAotF.pngright64_by_obsidianlake-d5ruf44.png

#18 Unknown

Unknown

title available

• Hosted
  • 1,314 posts
  •  I changed

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:00 PM

That's when you need Cahik here to make an awesome anim where the horse follows the guy and the guy can jump on the horse :p

#19 Rider of Rohan

Rider of Rohan

The Lazy Modder

• Division Leaders
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:33 PM

- For the Rohan Stable i'll wait till i bring myself to make the Mounted Royal Stuff for the stable i might have some pictures up of the rest of the faction bases sometime this weekend ( when my exams should be done )

- And the closest thing i could remember to a rider and horse separation in the mod was in deziree's bfme extended edition when the Rohirrim would die and the horse could be brought to the stables and given a new rider but i don't think it has anything to do with the mounting and dismounting

-Also from what i tested the 5 knights to the stables were able to increase the defense a bit to when some infantry arrived but then they roped in the Easterlings -__- and then my knights spawned back :D and then they brought them more -_________- ... but i'll still be adding cav to defense to some of the other factions

#20 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Leader

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:36 PM

Cavalry was used to charge and overwhelm the enemy. It's stupid to defend a structure on a horse.

No fuel left for the pilgrims

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users