11 replies to this topic

#1 Morgoth

Morgoth

Commander of the Armies of Angband

• Members
  • 82 posts
  • Projects:Battle in Moria skinner, Battle for the Galaxy skinner

Posted 04 April 2005 - 03:36 AM

I'm creating a new faction, The Valar. Incase you haven't read the books, they are kinda the gods of the world. Does anybody have any suggestions as to what I should include in the faction, such as buildings, spells, units, heros, etc.? I'm trying to stay true to LOTR. I don't want to include anything totally out of the ordinary. Just to keep in mindthough , i'm kinda new at modding, so I can't really do anything fancy.

What I have so far for buildings is:
1. Telperion
2. Laurelin
3. Armory
4. Well
5. Upgrader (This is very similar to the Gondor stoneworker)
6. FarSight (Sort of like a radar building. The vision range would be greatly increased, being that the Valar can see across the world)

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :p

#2 OrcishHorde

OrcishHorde
  • Members
  • 34 posts
  • Projects:None 'cause I came here to learn!

Posted 05 April 2005 - 03:36 AM

Can you explain some of these biuldings for us poeple who don't know that much in depth of the Lord of the Rings? (Like the Telperion and the Laurelin.)

#3 Morgoth

Morgoth

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 02:20 PM

Sorry for not explaining those. Telperion and Laurelin are the two trees of Valinor (The Valar's homeland). I would use these two trees as the farms for the faction. I was thinking that they could both be pretty cheap. When one of them is built, the other's price increases drastically. When the player has enough money to build the other tree, the resource output from the trees would be multilpied by about 75 - 100%. Once both of them are built, you can't build them anymore. That is the reason for the big resource multiplier.

Edited by Morgoth, 05 April 2005 - 02:21 PM.

#4 OrcishHorde

OrcishHorde
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 07:04 PM

That's pretty clever but you should make sure that the resources are fair and balenced so they get as much a fair amount of resources as all the other factions.

#5 Hawkeye

Hawkeye
  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 08:03 PM

I think that would be a bit difficult to do in terms of keeping resource collecting even between teams - if I'm playing as Gondor and I'm not earning all that much money, i can build one or two more farms and be content.
If there is a maximum of 2 resource "buildings", its going to be sort of going from one extreme to the other, having no income to having some to having loads.

I like the idea though, I think it would be a fun mod to play - having the Valar as your heros, and as units buying a single Maia at a time :p
As for spells, I think a nice one would be "light of the trees", or similar which blinds or scares enemy units for a while. :)

I'm getting pretty excited about this, I think i may learn to skin and model and have a go myself :)

#6 jaao

jaao
  • Members
  • 91 posts
  • Projects:youngsql.elite team

Posted 05 April 2005 - 09:20 PM

the valar's is the strongest of all. give the hero's powerfulls spells!
The norwegian elite is in the house

#7 Morgoth

Morgoth

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 11:58 PM

In respone to Hawkeye:
If I do the spell "light of the trees," where would it happen at. Would I have a cursor that that appears such as the Elven Allies cursor?
I'd also like it if you could give me more info on buying one Maia at a time. What do you mean by that?

In response to OrcishHorde:
It does seem a little unfair to have only two resource buildings. Maybe I won't make the multiplier so high if you buy both trees. I can also add a little far or something to be built on economy plots.

Edited by Morgoth, 06 April 2005 - 12:01 AM.

#8 OrcishHorde

OrcishHorde
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 12:32 AM

Yeah. You should have a standard resourse biulding (not as productive and good overall as regular resource biuldings) and have the trees as like really good resourse biuldings in addition to the crappy ones. This would give more strategy to where and when crappy resource biuildings should be biult and where and when the trees should be biult. :p

#9 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2005 - 08:19 AM

wich kind of hero have you planned to add to the valars?

#10 Guest_gforce_*

Guest_gforce_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2005 - 08:43 AM

who are the valar

#11 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2005 - 08:45 AM

the stronges kind in middle earth,kinds of gods. the elfes are trained be them.

#12 Hawkeye

Hawkeye
  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 08:47 AM

What I meant was, for example, with Gondor, when you purchase a unit of archers, 5 archers come out of the archery range, or with Isengard, 10 uruks come out of the Uruk Pit. I meant that when you buy a Maia from the "Maia Shop" only 1 comes out, as i imagine a Maia would be powerful enough to deal a lot of damage on his own (Gandalf, Saruman and Sauron, for example).

I don't know, its up to you. The light of the Trees was only an idea i was thinking about, it could be used on a small area, with a cursor, like Summon Elves, or it could affect the entire map. Whatever you like, it's your faction :p ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users