• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 Fingulfin

Fingulfin

I Like Pi3. Do you?

• Hosted
  • 1,752 posts
  • Projects:Staying Alive.
  •  This place looks familiar. I can't remember why.

Posted 27 March 2006 - 07:25 AM

I knew that you knew WHAT a map.ini was, you didnt know howto make one :)

EDIT: Lets Rephrase: You know perfectly well What a map.ini is, how it functions. You did not know Enough about it to help me with my woes, So I guess you could say this is a selfishness thing ( Me not you...) Actually, the only truly helpfull person I found was 2PlayGames... Gil-Galad is busy, and everyone else either didnt have a clue (I ask pretty stupid Questions...) or didnt want to waste time on a NOOB... No offense! ;)

Edited by Fingulfin, 27 March 2006 - 07:35 AM.

Posted Image
--------------------------------------
"You look like a ghost of your former self..."

#22 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Network Leader

Posted 27 March 2006 - 01:26 PM

only the elite minority practices the noble art of map.ini'ing ;)
bartvh | Join me, make your signature small!
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#23 Fingulfin

Fingulfin

I Like Pi3. Do you?

• Hosted
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 06:28 PM

Back on topic: How do I delete the Starting units for BFME 1? I can find it anywhre...
Posted Image

#24 ched

ched

• Undead
  • 4,431 posts
  • Projects:Rhovanion Alliance
  •  T3A Team Chamber Member
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:Previous Division Leader

Posted 27 March 2006 - 07:35 PM

you'll find it in multiplayer_start_teams
Software is like sex; it's better when it's free ~Linus Torvald

#25 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 08:17 PM

make a script, something like this:

subroutine: delete starting units
* if *
player has more than 0 unit of type GondorFighterHorde
* then *
find thingy GondorFighterHorde near team bla reference by Poo
kill Poo
run subroutine delete starting units
* else *
nothing

Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#26 Fingulfin

Fingulfin

I Like Pi3. Do you?

• Hosted
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 10:04 PM

Thanks!

EDIT: Couldnt do either... Where is that specific Script? The "find thingy GondorFighterHorde near team bla reference by Poo" I couldnt find ANYTHING like that...

Edited by Fingulfin, 28 March 2006 - 01:45 AM.

Posted Image

#27 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 07:00 PM

in scripting -> reference

#28 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2006 - 05:46 PM

noobs all of you!

#29 ched

ched

• Undead
  • 4,431 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 02:22 PM

noobs all of you!

This sort of spam won't bring you much sympathy, especially considering the quality of your posts here.
Improve your attitude or action will be taken.

#30 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 04:23 PM

i presume ched can see his IP and recognize him from other posts...

handy

#31 alfreak1

alfreak1
  • Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 09:26 PM

Makes me wish I was a moderator...

#32 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2006 - 05:58 AM

only the elite minority practices the noble art of map.ini'ing :)

Or the incredibly stupid.

Unfortunately The creators of the Sage Engine didnt create a drop ini coding tag at the end of each map that has used a map.ini file in it.

What this means for us 'ordinary' Folk is that when these great maps come out They are paraded as popular and good at start.... then later more ini maps come out each toying with diffrent objects....
This wont interfere at all till even later when alas two maps both of which are played change the SAME objects weaponsets or default ini data....When this happens uh oh Missmatch.
EVEN WORSE is after this has occured most players dont bother restarting the game they simply complain and join another game only to see that 1 definately missmatch Regardless of wether it has ini in it thus ruining more games.
Soon Many get missmatch and then people start getting pissy.

Then they simply leave and whats left is a grand total of 3 games hosted online entirely due to missmatches due to dumb asses messing with the ini when they needed have done so.

Yes most people can edit the ini but when you can script the changes WHY USE INI ? it will create more frustration in the longrun, sure you may have recieved rave reviews but thats due to the players inability to understand how the game operates and the resulting mess you simply pass off as someone elses bungle.
The bungle is in part also to the mappers whom toy with ini when they dont need to.

Heres hoping you guys can Make Better Map file rather then INI files

#33 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 07:57 AM

dude, it's about knowing what you can and can't do. many changes you can make in scripts can be made so much better and faster in a map.ini, without causing out-of-syncs. you know, there's a reason EA itself uses them :)

#34 Rob38

Rob38

Believer of Hope

• Hosted
  • 3,567 posts
  • Projects:Helm's Deep Last Hope
  •  One who is not afraid of new challenges

Posted 21 September 2006 - 02:59 AM

There's also some things that just can't be changed by scripting. Making a map.ini file causes you to create some really unique things that can make your map stand out from the rest. And if you are worried about players getting out of synch errors online, simply state when the game starts to restart your game after playing, just like how JBV does it in his Gladitor map.

signature_group1.gif

16821.png

#35 Fingulfin

Fingulfin

I Like Pi3. Do you?

• Hosted
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 12:30 AM

Its noobs like you, (at the guest) who make it so you have so many problems online. If you don't have enough sense to "Refresh your INI" (as it is called by "The Ordinary Folk") then you shouldn't be playing online. Live and learn. The best maps ARE those done with map.inis, as that signifies the mapper has enough knowledge and patience to get through with it. What do you mean

Yes most people can edit the ini but when you can script the changes WHY USE INI ? it will create more frustration in the longrun, sure you may have recieved rave reviews but thats due to the players inability to understand how the game operates and the resulting mess you simply pass off as someone elses bungle.
The bungle is in part also to the mappers whom toy with ini when they dont need to.

??? You can edit alot using scripts, but if all we did was script, all maps would be exactly the same. I don't play online to play a map made by some weirdo who only knows scripting and only incorprated that into his map. I play maps where I can get a different feeling of the game. My favorite BFME I maps were
1: Ringwars. The Most AWESOME map you will ever come in contact with :thumbsup:
2: Gladiator! by {IP}Shartbur-ob-Burzum. That was a cool map :lol:
3: Grand Arena by Apollo.

2 of those 3 use map.inis to change the gameplay. In fact, with the one that doesn't, I made a map.ini for it for more enjoyment! Dude, only noobs don't know how to handle a mod map. Those with more knowledge and patience than you.
Posted Image

#36 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2007 - 03:40 AM

You've all made some noteable and intelligent statments its perhaps frustration that led me to make a direct insult to makers of ini.

Firstly i appolagize to those whom work patiently through the eons of coding pages and pages of weapon set problems and endless object datas that are involved.
Yes its hard work and some ini can be great.

I guess I too will inform those whom play the maps about the correct procedure.

oh and by the way ive made many maps most of which used scripting and were never described as the same as other peoples maps.
And i am more then able to edit quite a bit of map.ini files i

#37 m@tt

m@tt

#######

• Project Team
  • 4,056 posts
  • Projects:The Dwarf Holds
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 01 May 2007 - 03:47 PM

Just to let people know that I have uploaded a few map.ini editing tutorials onto the T3A site:

http://www.the3rdage.net/item-132 - by Rohara
http://www.the3rdage.net/item-38 - Sample Map.ini by EA

Plus I have plenty of other tutorials on the site, only one was actually done by me but I am also planning a huge tutorial on how to make a EA quality map.

http://www.the3rdage...mlist?user=6700

Edited by mh_gollum, 05 May 2007 - 09:16 AM.

Posted Image

#38 ched

ched

• Undead
  • 4,431 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 09:45 PM

cool stuff there. I may even get to start some map.ini's m'self :p

#39 seemann

seemann
  • Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 08:14 PM

ok...i have a question: How can you change the whater level? Can it be done in map.ini? I tryed to do this in WB but the game crushed or...nothing happend.
Or how can i give a building the function of fortress(in bfme2 or rotwk) , so that ingame you will see it like your base.
Finally...is there anyone who would like to mod 1 of my maps?(with map.ini) I am currently working on some and i could use some help...spetially in moding heroes or units
Thx ..u can find my last maps here : http://mevault.ign.c.......g&id=126592
Apocaliptica & Nina Hagen - seemann

#40 Sûlherokhh

Sûlherokhh

Sagacious Engineer

• Project Team
  • 3,754 posts
  • Projects:S.E.E., Sage A.I., Code Advisor
  •  'Axe'er of the Gordic Knot

Posted 28 November 2007 - 11:19 PM

Dynamic Script Import

It seems the uneditable, imported scripts are taken directly from the libraries in the main game folder upon load [of the map-file].

That still leaves the question of how i can tell a map-file's script collection to import current existing libraries upon load automatically. The system is quite good since the singular components are dynamically incorporated, but i still have no idea how.

Found the answer to that, so i thought i better share. No-one seems to have known about it, or at least no-one bothered to tell me, so for those not in the know, this is how to dynamically incorporate scripts into map-files.

What's it used for?: Well, EA used this to incorporate the gollum-spawn scripts into every map for BfMe2. This can easily be used to do the same for new BfMe2 maps, or for converting BfMe1 maps to the Ring-mechanics. The idea is this: If you open the gollumspawn-scripts-library and change a few lines (like adjust the spawnpoint-choice randomizer), it will effect all maps that have the gollumspawn-scripts added in this dynamic fashion! Cool, eh? :sad2:

If you check out the BfMe1-AI-scripts, you will see that just about ALL of the scripts in there have been added in this fashion (the scripts that say 'imported'):

AIScripts.jpg

In this example there is a folder ('AI-Mordor') that contains a small number of scripts almost identical to the imported scripts, but with Mordor specific variations. As long as they have the exact same name as the dynamically imported scripts, the latter will be 'overidden' and will be designated as such. Pretty elegant!

Now, how to do it? I'll show you with the gollum scripts. Make sure you have the file 'libraries.big' extracted in the game's main folder:

Step 1: Start a new map-file or open a map-file you want to add the scripts to (yes, this includes libraries as well as maps)
Step 2: Edit --> Edit Player List ... -> Press 'Add Skirmish Players' if it's a new skirmish map, otherwise check EA's tutorials for details on adding the right Players.
Step 3: Select 'Plyr/Creeps'
Step 4: Press the button 'Library Maps' situated next to 'color'.
Step 5: At the right side of the probably empty window is a button named 'New...'. Press it.
Step 6: Now you get the usual 'open map' menu. Press 'libraries', go look for and open 'lib_gollumspawn'. Now the window from step 5 has listed the chosen library, which now is a dynamic reference. Press 'OK', and again 'OK' to exit to the main WB-window.
Step 7: Open the scripts editor (Edit --> Scripts... or CTRL+ALT+R). It should now look like this:

GollumScripts.JPG

That's it. The imported scripts for the BfMe1-skirmishAI are using the same function. All the dynamic scripts can be added/removed in the 'Player List'. :mad2:

Now please don't tell me you knew all along, grrrr! :sad:

bannerreal01mittelit3.jpg
Axed Head and A.I. Coder for S.E.E. and ... stuff

".. coding is basically boring. What's fun is finding out how things work, take them apart and then put them together in ways that were not intended nor even conceived."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users