Photo

Buildings & Defensive Structures (and other questions)

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 RB123

RB123
  • New Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 05:22 PM

Hello and everything, this mod is looking fantastic, I cannot wait to have a go on it.

I just have a few questions.

Firstly, what is planned in terms of buildings?

Will it be the usual Constuction Yard unpacking itself from a vehicle, or something a little more realistic? Now, i'm no where near as clued up on military history as the creator(s) of D-Day clearly are, but i'm pretty there is, and never was such a thing as this, is there?

Also, on-site power stations, are they commonly found in a military base? Again, i'm not exactly sure, but i'm thinking they are purely a C&C invention bourne out of convinience.

And refineries: What would be refined in a WW2 simulator? I'm assuming metals and crude oil, which are already covered in RA2, but Iron Ore isn't commonly found lying around in 'bails' ready to be 'harvested', i'm sure. May I suggest some sort of drilling and mining operation, or something along those lines? Maybe perhaps harvesting of scrap metal left by destroyed vehicles in the field. Finally, what use do 'precious gems' have in a military application? Perhaps you already have an alternate means of resource generation planned?

What about barracks? Thinking in terms of realism, where do these men come from in C&C barracks? Also, building multiple barracks to speed up 'production' of soldiers is far from realistic. Perhaps some sort of parchuting reinforcements in type of system would be better?

War Factories, again, have the same problem where more of them equals faster production. Perhaps upgrades could be made in game to speed up production, or the more credits (read 'raw materials') you have, the more efficient the production would be.

What would airports look like in this? A revision of the airports featured in the original game is required for obvious reasons. Perhaps a hangar containing four planes (or more) with a runway would surfice? A large amount of flat space would be required for this, which will cause its own problems, so that's something to think about.

In the real world, radar is used primarily as an early warning system, so perhaps this could be incorporated, a warning message could sound if any enemy units are in a certain vicinity.

Finally, Tech Centres and the like on the actual battle field aren't exactly realistic, I don't think. What plans are there for these?

Sorry for the long initial post, and I do apologize if I might be being a little too anal about realism, but if the emphasis on this project is to make it as true to life as possible, there are some things that may need to be addressed.

And, still, I carry on typing!

What, may I ask, is planned in terms of base defense structures? I'll assume you'll be keeping Pillboxes and Battle Bunkers I like the idea of sandbagged stinger nests the GLA used in Generals, perhaps this could be extended? Anti-Tank and large calibre machine gun nests, or something. Obviously Tesla Coils and Prism Towers are out, right?

Just asking what's planned, if anything for superweapons too?

And, finally, will this mod cost anything? Or are you donating all this hard work for nothing?

#2 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm
  •  Keep calm and carry on.

Posted 15 September 2006 - 05:56 PM

Will it be the usual Constuction Yard unpacking itself from a vehicle, or something a little more realistic? Now, i'm no where near as clued up on military history as the creator(s) of D-Day clearly are, but i'm pretty there is, and never was such a thing as this, is there?

I don't think there's any other option but to use the CY/Barracks/Factory layout. It is possible to do without power generators however this removed a chunk of the strategy. A lot of RTS games have power as a means to ruin a player (target the power plants and they soon go down). While indeed half the time they are in RTS games out of convenience, portable power generators are often found on military encampments, permanent or otherwise.

And refineries: What would be refined in a WW2 simulator? I'm assuming metals and crude oil, which are already covered in RA2, but Iron Ore isn't commonly found lying around in 'bails' ready to be 'harvested', i'm sure. May I suggest some sort of drilling and mining operation, or something along those lines? Maybe perhaps harvesting of scrap metal left by destroyed vehicles in the field. Finally, what use do 'precious gems' have in a military application? Perhaps you already have an alternate means of resource generation planned?

I believe it might be a derrick trickle sort of thing from supply depots, but I'll let Mig further that. I think scrap metal salvage was also planned but I dunno. Mig? I am interested in this too :)

What about barracks? Thinking in terms of realism, where do these men come from in C&C barracks? Also, building multiple barracks to speed up 'production' of soldiers is far from realistic. Perhaps some sort of parchuting reinforcements in type of system would be better?

The parachuting reinforcement isn't overly realistic either...not everyone paradrops in :)

I think a lot of your other points are dictated more by game engine limitations than by choice.

#3 MCV

MCV

title available

• Hosted
  • 737 posts
  • Projects:Uh... I'm writing a NGE/GitS/Lain/Snow Crash crossover fanfic?
  •  Decipherer of Paradox' legal talk.

Posted 15 September 2006 - 06:08 PM

Why is having more Barracks/War Factories to speed up production unrealistic?
The speed up production reasembles that you actually build in both buildings, so instead of having one factory to produce all my vehicles, I have 2 and produce in both, so mathematiclaly, I get the vehicle at half the time, but at the same cost.
Posted Image

#4 Andre27

Andre27

Crazy Forum Cat

• Hosted
  • 2,595 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 06:14 PM

Looking forward to reading all this when i get home. Just poping in from an internet cafe. :)

This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Andre 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.

Posted Image

- The mathemathical probability of God existing is 67% -

"We are the Borg. Existence as you know it is over. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Resistance is futile."

#5 Mig Eater

Mig Eater

5700 vxl files & counting...

• Undead
  • 5,833 posts
  • Projects:D-Day
  •  Teh workaholic

Posted 15 September 2006 - 08:06 PM

As Paradox said the standard conyard/factories set up is the only way of doing things in RA2. Well you could make it so you start off with a bunch of engineers & then you have to capture your factories but I don’t think the AI could do that & it would be very hard to code.

Power plants aren’t as important in D-day as they are in RA2, they are only used to power things like the radar & superweapons.

Refineries & ore are replaced with supply dumps & supply boxes, you can find the boxes scattered around maps but they don’t come in huge fields like ore & they don’t grow back either! There is also scrap metal from destroyed tanks but only a few units have that feature so far. I may implement a late game money superweapon as well but I’ll wait until more of D-day is finished to see if it’s needed.

I’ve posted some screenshots of the runway & aircraft hanger in the news forum, have a look in there for more info.

Radars have more importance in D-day then RA2 as the shroud regrows but radar stations come with a large sight range to fight it off. They also display any enemy movements within their range (like the yuri radar etc). With a network of them the shroud will be keep back so you can see what your doing & they will also tell you of any incoming enemy attacks.

Tech Centres are the same as in RA2 & there isn’t anything I can do about that. I would prefer to have upgrades for the factories that will give you access to new units but you cant do that.

As for defences there are guard towers, pillboxes & flack cannons. There is also anti-tank cannons & artillery but they are mobile defences that can be underplayed & moved to another position so they can also be used offensively if you want them too.

Superweapons are typically airstrikes, paratroopers & spyplanes but there are also rocket/missile based ones too.

D-day doesn’t cost anything but you do need to buy a copy of RA2 & Yuri’s Revenge :)

Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 RB123

RB123
  • New Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 08:17 PM

Hey... It's out now??? :) :)

Where/how?

#7 Mig Eater

Mig Eater

• Undead
  • 5,833 posts
  •  Teh workaholic

Posted 15 September 2006 - 08:27 PM

D-day isn't finished yet.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 RB123

RB123
  • New Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 08:38 PM

Okay, phew, thought so. I saw a beta release date of later on this year, yeah?

I like the idea you've had for the Radar networks, a stroke of genius there.

It's a shame the RA2 engine isn't more flexible, but you're doing what you can, and it all sounds really good so far. The unit designs i've seen are astonishing, beyond belief, in some cases.

A nicely thought up and realised plan, and you're releasing it for free too. That's really good of you, I know if i'd worked my ass off so much, i'd have a hard time not seizing the obvious oppurtunity to ca$h in!!! But that's probably just me, and who knows where this might lead, huh? You're as good, if not better than the unit designers for the original game!

#9 Mig Eater

Mig Eater

• Undead
  • 5,833 posts
  •  Teh workaholic

Posted 15 September 2006 - 08:51 PM

I have no set release date but I would like to get a beta done by the end of the year.

I can’t sell D-day dew to copyright laws but then again I doubt I'd sell it anyway as I like to share :)

Posted Image
Posted Image

#10 Jeeves

Jeeves

I write the interwebz

• Members
  • 4,156 posts
  •  Friendly neighborhood standards Nazi

Posted 18 September 2006 - 08:19 AM

I would prefer to have upgrades for the factories that will give you access to new units but you cant do that.

Just to confirm, as I've never bothered trying and I assume you've already thought of it; Upgrades structures can't be used as prerequisites?

World Domination Status: 2.7%

#11 Mig Eater

Mig Eater

• Undead
  • 5,833 posts
  •  Teh workaholic

Posted 20 September 2006 - 04:23 PM

No they can't :/

Posted Image
Posted Image

#12 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 12:15 PM

I can’t sell D-day dew to copyright laws but then again I doubt I'd sell it anyway as I like to share :)

If the copyright law wasn't an issue, I think I'd want some return for the 3/4 and a half years...

Just to confirm, as I've never bothered trying and I assume you've already thought of it; Upgrades structures can't be used as prerequisites?

Only power and a gun turret weapon and spysat (I think) can be upgrades. Superweapon, too, if I'm not mistaken...I know one of those four is wrong, but which one I dunno XD

#13 Mig Eater

Mig Eater

• Undead
  • 5,833 posts
  •  Teh workaholic

Posted 21 September 2006 - 02:20 PM

All four of them will work :)

Posted Image
Posted Image

#14 need my speed

need my speed

For Soviet people!

• Hosted
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 02:50 PM

I thought SpySat doesn't work proper. :)
Please, if you see a mistake in my posts - spelling, grammar, punctuation, or whatever else - point it out. How can one learn from mistakes, if one is not corrected?
There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

#15 Mig Eater

Mig Eater

• Undead
  • 5,833 posts
  •  Teh workaholic

Posted 21 September 2006 - 03:06 PM

Hmm well I could be wrong, you could just give the upgrade Sight=999 to get the same affect tho.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#16 mevitar

mevitar

REEEEEEEEEEEEE

• Hosted
  • 1,971 posts
  • Projects:Doom Desire
  •  (◉ _ ◉)

Posted 22 September 2006 - 08:16 AM

As far as i know, sight larger than 11 doesn't work ^_^ (but still the building upgrade can have a spysat SW).

But how about a building that spawns ore (supply boxes that is :p ) for each side (a supply drop field)?
ded signature

(◉ ᗝ ◉)

#17 Allied General

Allied General

C&C Guild

• Hosted
  • 6,922 posts
  • Projects:AGSA
  •  Modder

Posted 22 September 2006 - 08:48 AM

well alternative income generation or supply truck resources to allies would be handy
Posted Image

#18 Mig Eater

Mig Eater

• Undead
  • 5,833 posts
  •  Teh workaholic

Posted 22 September 2006 - 04:53 PM

I’m thinking about a money superweapon upgrade for the supply deport. Or more adventurously a supply drop superweapon where transport planes drop supply boxes at a selected point.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#19 Jeeves

Jeeves

I write the interwebz

• Members
  • 4,156 posts
  •  Friendly neighborhood standards Nazi

Posted 23 September 2006 - 10:04 AM

Drop, drop, drop </chants>
I just think it would look cool, and as something you can see, theres that whole "*****! He's getting loot!" factor. Always more fun to be able to see whats going on, and have a change of countering.

World Domination Status: 2.7%

#20 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 08:56 PM

Or more adventurously a supply drop superweapon where transport planes drop supply boxes at a selected point.

Iffy. If the planes go over an enemy base (which chances are they will) which is flooded with tons and tons of AA, you're never going to see those supplies...

Alternately, if the drop flies over your head, where's the point? And let's face it, there's only ONE place people are going to target them. And it isn't an empty space in the middle of the field, or an enemy base. That system just serves no useful purpose.

I know it's realisticised, but I suggest that garrisoned buildings give a cash trickle from looting and to encourage tactical dominance of the map, with some buildings like warehouses and town centres providing a larger benefit...and to encourage attacking, enemy structures destroyed gives a cash box :p. Have supply superweapons provide a bulk sum by all means (only prob is you cna only get one superweapon of it at a time, so you only get one drop every so often...and chances are you dont want that injection to be too big or else spammage, or too small or else annoying fuck-slow gameplay) and other structures to provide a trickle, such as an offshore platform with limited build cap and the obligatory supply depot, which provides a place for those salvage trucks to come to and also accepts supplies from base.

I suppose there could be areas of scrap to salvage...junkyards perhaps?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users