Photo

Dawn of Skirmish 2.2 progress and breaktroughs...

29 replies to this topic

#21 Tovarich

Tovarich
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 10:46 PM

Further, transport code is now fully implemented and working too. Your dll works like a charm... :grin:

!!! :sleep:
Btw, if you could estimate the performance gain as a % in this new build, what would it be?

#22 ThetaOrion

ThetaOrion

title available

• Members
  • 676 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 04:57 AM

Thank you Arkhan!!

--

And along similar lines, today in the game I played, my Eldar and Chaos AI allies did a wonderful job of wiping out the enemy, but they never stopped long enough to capture any of the vacant resource points that were left behind when the factions were wiped out.

So, as the Space Marines in the game, I made a late game set of SM Scouts whose only job was to go around capturing all the uncapped strategic points.

It's like the Eldar and Chaos AI allies need go build a late-game squad of Guardians and Cultists whose only job is to avoid the fight and instead go around capping uncapped resource points. If the Eldar and Chaos were to cap uncapped resource points, then maybe their builders would move up and actually build secondary bases in the empty space?

--

I still don't know how you manage to make the AI as good as it currently is.

And, with the randomized build programs, it's getting harder and harder to see the trends, because no game plays out the same way twice any more. Used to be a time when you could set your clock by the schedule kept by the AI if you used the same factions and the same map and positions, but not any more. Each game is different now.

In another game, the other day, my Chaos AI ally was capping empty strategic points just fine, but not in this particular game today, for example. I don't know why it 'turns on' sometimes with the AI allies capping and why it doesn't at other times. And, it's really hard to see the trends, because when I notice things that I want the AI to do differently in one game, then I see them doing it just fine in the next game. It's like, 'no need to mention that because the AI actually does that, sometimes.'

Edited by ThetaOrion, 14 January 2007 - 05:00 AM.

#23 ThetaOrion

ThetaOrion

title available

• Members
  • 676 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 01:14 AM

Oh, another thing for you guys to consider is that you don't have your best stuff out there right now -- unless someone is playing DoWXP, and even then I'm not sure that DoWXP has your most current stuff either.

Due to lack of time, I went a different way. I'm still playing the 2.1 AI Skirmish Mod with the UC Rebalance of the AI Mod. I find that easiest to manage, and it still keeps me in there betatesting the AI Skirmish Mod and the UC Mod, both of which I still feel a commitment to betatest and comment on from time to time.

I just never made the jump to the DoWXP, and I probably won't right now, due to lack of time. I don't want to spend the effort to learn something new, for awhile.

Anyway, the thing for you guys to consider is that you might actually want to release AI Skirmish Mod 2.2 when it feels ready, especially if the next Relic patch is six or eight or ten months away like some of their past patches were. Yes, if the next Relic patch comes out next week, then there's no logical reason to release 2.2 of the AI mod for DC 1.0 and 1.1, and it would have been a waste of effort. But, if Relic still hasn't released a good patch in the next six months, that's a lot of time for your best and most recent effort to just be sitting on the shelf not being used or enjoyed or tested by the masses.

You might consider setting a goal to release 2.2 in the next month or so, especially if there has been no new Relic patch by then -- get all of those bug fixes and tweaks out there for the rest of us to enjoy. Something for you to think about anyway.

#24 dctrjons

dctrjons
  • Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 07:30 AM

Agree, wait. I'm pretty miffed it's you guys releasing a major patch and not Relic (yet). Your AI just brings to light some problem areas in balance that the shoddy AI could cover. So had a load of fun on multi team CPU games but have gotten tired of the imbalances. Till a DC patch comes out I don't see me using a 2.2. Even though I know it will be supremeo.

#25 runab0ut

runab0ut
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 10:47 AM

Hello, I use your mod every time I play.... it is Awsome, my ONLY complaint is that when I use the mod manager to switch back to Vanilla to watch a REPLAY it has a SYNC problem.... ( replays for Vanilla that are from Game Replays)

THE ONLY soultion is for me to Repair the Install, as you can Imagine, over the course of a week I have to do this mabey 10 times......

Would it be possible to fix this?... I know its not a major problem for most people but I feel that it would add more finnesse to your incredible Mod. I am aware that the Mod Manager is Broken.

Off-topic

You dont have to 'repair' your DC install... switch via modmanager to vanilla DC (it'll load) and exit the game, then execute the vanilla shortcut to launch vanilla DC.

#26 Dralafi_XIII

Dralafi_XIII
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 05:01 PM

Not to be rude or anything, and please stop me if I am, but when will 2.2 come out?

Just a rough 'which month' estimate would be cool to know.

:)

#27 ArkhanTheBlack

ArkhanTheBlack

title available

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 09:00 PM

2.2 is almost finished. Now we start final testing and wait for the DC patch with a hopefully fixed game manager.

#28 danuker

danuker
  • Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 08:23 AM

2.2 is almost finished. Now we start final testing and wait for the DC patch with a hopefully fixed game manager.

Hmmm, the next the next patch would probably come with all sorts of balance fixes that would require updated AI plans.

It would be a nice to see a release for DC 1.0/1.1 first. Especially if it makes the the AI IG more competitive! ;)

#29 Dralafi_XIII

Dralafi_XIII
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 06:24 PM

Sweet ;)

#30 Klementh

Klementh
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 02:12 AM

Hey hello after a long time.

Thanks for a great job to the AI team. I, and my friends are looking forward to version 2.2 of your excellent mod.

I also want to say that the patch is going through community betatesting and after that it will go to quality assurance, so it's still a month away. three weeks if we are lucky.
So I'm with danuker on a pre-patch release.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users