• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 King Thranduil

King Thranduil

King of Mirkwood

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 05:07 PM

I need serious help and strategies to beat Helm's deep. I just got there yesterday and I can't seem to win it. I like more ladders and I like Uruks just flooding the walls, but the big problem is theres a little too many of them. All my Elves get slaughtered and the ones that survive get killed by archers. If you guys have any tips or suggestions for me they'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

#2 m@tt

m@tt

#######

• Project Team
  • 4,056 posts
  • Projects:The Dwarf Holds
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 18 February 2007 - 05:56 PM

At the beginning use all your plots to build farms, but dont destroy the well and archery range already built.

Make sure you get the two treasure chests around the helms deep area.

Build yeomen until the elves arrive, unless the archery range is still rank one in which case continue until rank two then stop building units and get the fire arrow upgrades.

Keep using Elven Wood in front of the deepening wall

When the elves arrive destroy one farm near the hornburg and build a armory. Get the banner upgrade.

Use Legolas's Train Archer Ability to save money instead of using all the banner upgrades, but use the upgrade on the units you havent been able to use the power on before the first wave.

Make sure all archers are rank two and have fire arrows

Build lot of elves and give them all banners and fire arrows.

Position all archers across the deepening wall. Have Haldir and Legolas slightly higher up as they have better range.

Have one or two battelians above the main gate. Build a postern gate by the main gate, put your one rohirrm horde behind the gate.

Put other heroes on the two sets of stairs to the deepening wall. This protects them from arrows but they can get to the wall in seconds still.

Once your population cap is full, try to give everyone heavy armour, and then forged blades.

When Isengard come, aim for the ladders. Ignore all other units just destroy the ladders. No ladders means no units can get onto the wall. Let your heroes pick off those who make it onto the wall.

If units are becoming weak, move them to the well to heal up, dont let them die. They can also fire at units on the wall from the well.

Use hero abilities sensibly, use Gimli's leap on crowded areas, Blademaster is good to. Theoden should use Glorious Charge when all Rohan heroes are mounted.

When rams come up to the main gate, use your rohirrm horde to destroy them.

If you have plenty of money, destroy twor farm by the hornburg. Build a Stables, and a well which must be by the gate. Rohirrm are good for charging units on the wall.

When the mines come use fire arrows to destroy them asap, dont let them blow up the deepening wall. If they set it. Build a postern gate and get a hero to destroy it, no fire arrows once set.

Try to use the summon elves to destroy the ballistas, but its difficult.

Once all attack waves are over just build up your full strength. Try to do hit and run attacks on the ballistas using calvary if there is room. Destroy all ladders and make sure all units are safe from the balistas. If that means taking everyone off the wall thats ok.

If the gate is destroyed move on foot heroes there to protect the buildings.

Dont summon Eomer till you have reached your command point limit, when you do summon him and destroy everything. Watch out for pikemen though.

Make sure that before you destroy their last building that all units are fully upgraded as it saves time later in the campaing.

Edited by mh_gollum, 18 February 2007 - 07:06 PM.

Posted Image

#3 adummy

adummy

Keep it Clean!

• Project Team
  • 1,760 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 06:22 PM

mh had some really good ideas but i suggest changing it a little.
-before the elves come, build Eorlingas instead of yeomen.
-when the archery range hits 2, start build royal guard.
-mass royal guard, you dont need rohrrim if done right.
-put your elves in the very center of the deeping wall and spread them out so they can guard the very center.
-start putting archers slowly away from the center, with 3-5 at the gate with gimli too
-upgrade all archers with banner carrier. mh_gollum's idea works, but you wont have enough time to get everyone it, and if you decide do wait and clump them all to do it, Isengard will likely be attacking by then.
-upgrade you elves with fire arrows first as they are much better than the royal guard/yeomen. once they all have fire, build fire for the rest of the archers.
-upgrade elves with heavy armor, if you got yeomen do that next.
-then start upgrade elves with forged blades, after that royal guard.
-upgrade all Eorlingas at this point if you have them.
-put Eorlingas in a few areas and have them in block formation, sometimes crossbowmen will attack them instead of archers and they will kill those who get on alive.
-have gimli throw his axe at battering rams
-dont worry about balistas, those who you cant fire at, arent going to be able to hit you :thumbsupdrool:
-KILL KILL KILL the mines. trust me, if they get too close, you are dead. the second an archer is done killing a battalin of uruks, they will fire at that mine.
-use Legolas' hawk strike and Haldir's wounding arrow to attack ladders. Legolas will kill them and haldir will put them in deep red.
-if you lose the deeping wall, have Eorlingas kill the uruks that comes so your archers/heroes can retreat.
-if you lose the gate, pull all units back, the uruks will just stop attacking the wall and will go for the gate :mad2:
-if the walls get crowded, switch to swords. Elves/Royal guard can massacre Uruk-hai when they have forged blades and heavy armor (the royal guard can do this just with forged blades as their armor is so high, they cant get heavy armor :cool2: )
-when Eomer and gandalf come, have them come to Helm's deep and kill all those who are still attacking you. then mount Theoden and all other heroes that can mount, and have Theoden use Glorious Charge when you get close the the enemy so you can trample them forever :tongevil: )
Lots of mh_gollum's ideas still work in this case like the farms, treasure, elven wood. Hope you can win Helm's Deep now.

p.s. Be careful when you attack their base so that archers (on foot and horse-back) do not fire at the mines they are building. i lose Eowyn when that happened :mad2: :sad2:

Edited by adummy, 18 February 2007 - 06:23 PM.

Posted Image

#4 King Thranduil

King Thranduil

King of Mirkwood

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 06:37 PM

Thanks guys. I hope I can actually win now. If anyone has any more tips feel free to let me know.

Edited by King Thranduil, 18 February 2007 - 06:38 PM.

#5 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts
  • Projects:The 4th Age
  •  The very worst T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 18 February 2007 - 06:43 PM

combine Eorlingas with archers....

also, if you do loose your deeping wall, retreat to the hornburg... if you loose your gate, retreat to the burg.... have your archers on the wall there, and the rest at the "gates" (open space, and gate).... and Eomer and Gandalf should be able to just destroy the nearest camp right away, and while they do that, I've already sent the Helm's deep army to the other Isengard camp... then, after their all dead, I have to send them all to the walls...

damn rouge ladders :thumbsupdrool:

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

The 4th Age version 0.8 has been released: Link

#6 m@tt

m@tt

#######

• Project Team
  • 4,056 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 18 February 2007 - 07:04 PM

BTW, I didnt mean that you solely upgrade archers to rank two using Legolas' power, I meant to use it a few times before the first wave to save yourself a bit of money, but use the banner upgrade for all the rest.
Posted Image

#7 Lalmanegro

Lalmanegro
  • Members
  • 60 posts
  •  Couch Potatoe

Posted 18 February 2007 - 07:37 PM

Yeah...the others took all my stratagies :thumbsupdrool: ...so ive got nothing....

-Looks at King Thraduils avatar and notices a quiver of arrows on Tranduils back- Hint Hint :tongevil:
Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 King Thranduil

King Thranduil

King of Mirkwood

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 08:29 PM

Alright that should do it, then. Now I just need to worry about surviving the mission.

#9 Celeglin

Celeglin

Silhouette of a Serenade

• Hosted
  • 2,468 posts
  • Projects:The Elven Alliance, Rhovanion Alliance
  •  T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 18 February 2007 - 09:01 PM

Just so you know, the Helm's Deep included in the latest release (the Rohan one) was accidentally made a little too difficult (number of ladders is the main problem). It's been fixed, but won't be released until the next official release.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#10 adummy

adummy

Keep it Clean!

• Project Team
  • 1,760 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 09:02 PM

Yeah...the others took all my stratagies :thumbsupdrool: ...so ive got nothing....

-Looks at King Thraduils avatar and notices a quiver of arrows on Tranduils back- Hint Hint :tongevil:

that makes no sense. what does Tranduil have arrows on his back having to do with anything? Even more so is the fact that Thranduil is a melee only hero in TEA, that picture is what he looks like in BFME2 :cool2:
Posted Image

#11 Elvenlord

Elvenlord

Polis Ranger

• Advisors
  • 3,838 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 18 February 2007 - 11:37 PM

I go for heavy armor first since it only costs 250 to upgrade and your units really need to be able to endure alot, and eorlingas w/ ha and in block can take alot

Plus, Elves with ha are :thumbsupdrool:

elvenlordbanner.jpg

#12 King Thranduil

King Thranduil

King of Mirkwood

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 01:37 AM

Hmmm...can I edit Worldbuilder or something to decrease the amount of ladders? Thats the worst problem that is making the mission (to me, anyways) unbeatable. If there is, I'll need some instructions because I have no clue how to use Worldbuilder. :thumbsupdrool:'

#13 Elvenlord

Elvenlord

Polis Ranger

• Advisors
  • 3,838 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 19 February 2007 - 02:17 AM

I'm pretty sure you could
As for help, I have no clue how to do it either.....

elvenlordbanner.jpg

#14 Thorontur

Thorontur

I'm Pr0, who are j00?

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 03:31 AM

Hmmm...can I edit Worldbuilder or something to decrease the amount of ladders? Thats the worst problem that is making the mission (to me, anyways) unbeatable. If there is, I'll need some instructions because I have no clue how to use Worldbuilder. :thumbsupdrool:'

Start menu/Programs/EA Games/Worldbuilder. :tongevil: It's pretty hard at first but if you go to www.bfme.org they have a Worldbuilder forum and you can get some tutorials there. :cool2:

#15 adummy

adummy

Keep it Clean!

• Project Team
  • 1,760 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 04:16 AM

no, you need to do more than that to edit the already edited map. :thumbsupdrool:
Posted Image

#16 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Leader

Posted 19 February 2007 - 10:38 AM

The map isn't that hard. O_o

Just practise and retrying, no need to go about editing it...

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#17 Taralom

Taralom

Self-proclaimed A**hole

• Project Team
  • 1,519 posts
  • Projects:Turned to Writing
  •  I R GOOGL'd

Posted 19 February 2007 - 11:39 AM

i beat Helm's deep like this:

I built a lot of farms upon the building plots, then i bought all upgrades and made my archers FU. then my elves. and then the peasants(couldn't give my peasants all of the upgrades but whatever they got FU in time)

all of my elves were in the hornburg above the gate and the wall, not the deeping wall!! to defend the gate i had 2 rohirrim battalions behind the gate which would strike the battering rams every time and sometimes attack the ballista's

i had yeoman archers and royal guards upon the wall with some peasants. my heroes, not legolas which was on the wall and haldir above the gate, were standing in front of the deeping wall. this way the uruks attack the heroes and the ladders are pwned by the archers+legolas. if some uruks got upon the wall they were killed by my peasants.

keep this up until Eomer arrives and let your entire army charge upon the camps.

@ celeglin: in mirkwood you shouldn't get any elves right?? well i'm having 5 battalions of mirkwood scouts in my gondor army now. it isn't a problem or bug i just thought it was weird

Edited by Taralom, 19 February 2007 - 11:41 AM.

If the above post offended you in any way,
please take note that, until further notice, I don't care, so get lost.

#18 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts
  • Projects:The 4th Age
  •  The very worst T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 19 February 2007 - 12:56 PM

well, Helm's deep have to many ladders, cause in the movie, how many ladders got shot down? :crazed: but if it was a accident, why bother? I loved the map :)

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

The 4th Age version 0.8 has been released: Link

#19 King Thranduil

King Thranduil

King of Mirkwood

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 02:35 PM

Wooo! I beat it! It was grueling, but I beat it. Timely use of heroes' abilities and targeting ladders and archers was key. We held the wall and my Elves pre-detonated all the mines, taking chunks from the Isengard army with it. Unfortunatly, my determination to hold the wall left the gate with only Eowyn and three Yeoman battalions guarding it. They broke the gate, so I had to rush all my troops back to the gate. We held, Eomer came, we won.

#20 m@tt

m@tt

#######

• Project Team
  • 4,056 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 19 February 2007 - 04:21 PM

See, theres no need to edit the map. Well done btw. Now work your way to Minas Tirith and try to do that without coming here.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users