Photo

Iran bans Western Haircuts...

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 Hostile

Hostile

Benefitting Humanity Simply by Showing Up!

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Global Administrator
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 30 April 2007 - 01:53 AM

http://edition.cnn.c...reut/index.html

"Western hairstyles ... have been banned," the newspaper Etemad said in a front-page headline.

It came a week after police launched a crackdown against the growing number of young women testing the limits of the law with shorter, brighter and skimpier clothing ahead of the summer months.

Under Iran's Islamic Sharia law, imposed after the 1979 revolution, women are obligated to cover their hair and wear long, loose-fitting clothes to disguise their figures.

Violators can receive lashes, fines and imprisonment.

What the hell is a western haircut? And seems barbers who pluck mens eyebrows is banned as well. But what if I live in Tehran and pluck my own eyebrows, is that a sin and a crime?

This is the ridiculous crap I see than makes me so mad. Are they allowed to have a chinese haircut? Are you allowed to cut your hair at all? What if your name is muhammed and you give a stylish cut? Is that a crime?

Since when does the world tolerate such idiocy? It's not just about a haircut, it's about a removal of peoples rights. When are people gonna wake up and realize these people are maniacs?

It's not the Iranian people's fault. They just want a more modern version of thier "own" culture. At what point will the Iranian people take back control of thier own "space?"

Now watch the line up of the usual suspects, who'll defend the Iranian government simply because I posted this. Shariah Law is fascism, and it's coming to a community near you sooner than you think, like it or not. :lol:

#2 lefthand

lefthand

Free Agent

• Members
  • 425 posts
  • Projects:Black Alert
  •  Propagandist

Posted 30 April 2007 - 05:20 AM

Now watch the line up of the usual suspects, who'll defend the Iranian government simply because I posted this. Shariah Law is fascism, and it's coming to a community near you sooner than you think, like it or not. :lol:

It is already here.
Within many of the great states in the US of A it is a criminal offense for two consenting adults, within the confines of their own bedroom, to engage in oral and anal sex. In Georgia it is illegal to have sex outside of marriage and meanwhile in Texas selling sexual devices is criminalized.

Unbridled Western monotheism and social conservatism makes people unreasonably retarded and backwards. There are elements within the Iranian/American government who'll do anything to protect their cultural and theological domination from social progression.
Posted Image

#3 Rawlo

Rawlo

Word Smith

• Project Team
  • 1,616 posts
  •  as it turns out, was never actually a convict, go figure.

Posted 30 April 2007 - 09:05 AM

lol... your joking right, about the US telling people what sort of sex they can have?

it's completely rediculas, I'm so glad I live in Australia
The Least I Could Do - We all wished we were like this at one point
Ctrl+Alt+Del - A webcomic for the gamer in all of us
A final good night Burnie, sleep well mate, rest in peace
Goodbye Tig, you are sorely missed.
Goodbye to you aswell till, you'll also be missed

Xeno, RIP mate
"I'm going to go on the record and say that any substance abuse problem which creates women like that is ok by me"

#4 Calamity_Jones

Calamity_Jones

Boomers Disposable Minion

• Project Team
  • 2,399 posts
  • Projects:Only War 2
  •  The Lurker-Turned-Poster-Turned-Lurker

Posted 30 April 2007 - 09:54 AM

Wow... I guess it's something to do with the "Gays are sinners in the eyes of god" bullshit. I don't see anything wrong with it, as long as I'm nowhere nearby to hear them at it :lol:

As regards to that haircut banning, yeah Hostile, you're totally right. That's some seriously oppressive stuff, what do they do to tourists who have these illegal appearances. Sorry! You look offensive! Into the dungeon! My hair is quite long, will I be whipped red raw?

I guess they don't have subcultures over there, god only know what they'd have done to Punks or Goths with their crazy appearances. Heck... Holly would be lynched to within an inch of his life for his constantly changing hair colours! :unsure:
Posted Image

#5 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

I've had this avatar since... 2003?

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts
  • Job:Artist

Posted 30 April 2007 - 10:20 AM

i would say the western media picks up on things happening in Iran alot quicker than before because of the diplomatic situation. i am pretty sure they've had this decency police around for quite a while and they havent been able to stop their younger population from doing what they felt like

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#6 narboza22

narboza22

Q6600 :)

• Hosted
  • 357 posts
  • Projects:Tactical Warfare
  •  US supporter to the end

Posted 30 April 2007 - 03:47 PM

Now watch the line up of the usual suspects, who'll defend the Iranian government simply because I posted this. Shariah Law is fascism, and it's coming to a community near you sooner than you think, like it or not. :)

It is already here.
Within many of the great states in the US of A it is a criminal offense for two consenting adults, within the confines of their own bedroom, to engage in oral and anal sex. In Georgia it is illegal to have sex outside of marriage and meanwhile in Texas selling sexual devices is criminalized.

Unbridled Western monotheism and social conservatism makes people unreasonably retarded and backwards. There are elements within the Iranian/American government who'll do anything to protect their cultural and theological domination from social progression.

Sodomy laws exist in the US, but they are not enforced. IIRC, its even illegal to buy sex toys in some states unless you sign a waiver saying that it is for educational purposes only. People are not being arrested or harassed in the US like they are in Iran, unfortunately the world is more concerned about Iranian nuclear technology than the Iranian government f'ing its people.
Posted Image

#7 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm
  •  Keep calm and carry on.

Posted 30 April 2007 - 03:55 PM

As if those sex laws can even be ENFORCED...what a pile of bullshit.

Either way, who cares about what hairstyle Iranians are allowed? It's not as if it's affecting us any. There'll prolly be some sort of outcry that'll repeal it anyway. If not, what business is it of America's?

Let 'em hate you. Hate 'em back. Works for me all the time. If it didn't, I wouldn't still surf this forum, would I? :)

Seriously, who can honestly say they give a shit (Unless you're Iranian)?

Edited by Paradox, 30 April 2007 - 03:57 PM.

#8 olli

olli

Resident Pilot

• Project Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • Projects:Remix Escalation Top Quality Imaginer and Pro Tester. CnC Guild Gossip Whore
  •  Misanthropic Hulking Adonis

Posted 30 April 2007 - 08:43 PM

ENG-A-LAND
ENG-A-LAND
ENG-A-LAND :) thank god we dont have stupid sex laws. or haircut laws. but some laws are backwards...like you can own a house, start a family and get a job at 16, but cant drink or (not and) drive until your 18.

please..as if some one at fucking 16 is mature enough to have a family and own a house. pffft. dont really need to be mature to drink...well mature to drink responsibly anyway.

with regards to the haircut, complete bullshit. in that respect, its like the UK saying, no northern/southern haircuts.
wtf would that look like?
Posted Image
CnC Guild - As ancient as time itself.
Do you like anything CnC releated? Then the CnC guild likes you! Go make friends with it.

Latest Remix Escalation on ModDB
Remix Escalation on Revora - Track the latest news and changes.

#9 Cheshire Fox

Cheshire Fox

El Hombre Sinestro

• Hosted
  • 755 posts
  • Projects:Keeping Apocalypse and Wrath alive
  •  Apocalypse Admin, Wrath of Orion Admin

Posted 30 April 2007 - 11:37 PM

Either way, who cares about what hairstyle Iranians are allowed? It's not as if it's affecting us any. There'll prolly be some sort of outcry that'll repeal it anyway. If not, what business is it of America's?

Yeah, screw everyone else who's not part of our Western Society. It's not OUR problem. You're being kind of hypocritical, I must say.

Laws restricting personal freedom like that are ridiculous. It's a slippery slope from there. Same thing with those goddamn homophobic laws out west and in the south. I'm leaving this country right after college.

Ohm adn someone was saying about being punished for going into the country with an "unnacceptable" haircut? I remember hearing from someone I know who's traveled around about people being forced to have haircuts right in the airport inside certain Arab countries (I believe it was Iran.)

Edited by Darkskul, 30 April 2007 - 11:41 PM.

Posted Image
This is the place where all the junkies go, where time gets fast but everything gets slow.
I'll get to the moon if I have to crawl.
The problem with any government is that it eventually attracts politicians.

#10 Hostile

Hostile

Benefitting Humanity Simply by Showing Up!

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Job:Global Administrator
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 30 April 2007 - 11:55 PM

Now watch the line up of the usual suspects, who'll defend the Iranian government simply because I posted this. Shariah Law is fascism, and it's coming to a community near you sooner than you think, like it or not. :)

It is already here.

To think Texas used to be a seperate country. Seems like they still are based on that video. :)

#11 lefthand

lefthand

Free Agent

• Members
  • 425 posts
  •  Propagandist

Posted 01 May 2007 - 03:05 AM

lol... your joking right, about the US telling people what sort of sex they can have?

Unfortunately

Most victimless crimes are completely unenforceable since the nature of the crime involves two willing participants. Case and point, the United States wages a global war on drugs that costs taxpayers billions yet Americans consume over 50% of the world’s illicit substances…yet we only make up 6% of the world’s overall population.

I doubt such laws are even enforced and this can be plainly seen since such hairstyles were banned decades ago; even though Iranians are openly opting for them. None the less, Iran’s prohibition of Western hairstyles is a token gesture. Iranians are seeing the West, a source of historical and current political tension, is having more and more of an influence on Persian culture and they are making a desperate attempt to preserve their tradition.
If things were fine and dandy between the USA and Iran you wouldn’t see such none issues becoming issues.
Posted Image

#12 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 09:22 AM

Yeah, screw everyone else who's not part of our Western Society. It's not OUR problem. You're being kind of hypocritical, I must say.

No, I'm not.

1) I do not believe Western culture and ideals should be enforced on non-Westerners. If they want to keep Arab culture purely Arab, then that's absolutely fine. I'd much rather Western culture keep to itself, and Arab culture stop interfering with ours, too. Interlopers into a culture should, if they intend to live there, adhere to the values of that culture. I have never, ever said contrary, so I'm not being hypocritical in any way.

2) I DO believe we should help those in third-world poverty since, like, it was kind of our fault as westerners.

Find me evidence where I have said contrary, and I can account for that, too.

Laws restricting personal freedom like that are ridiculous. It's a slippery slope from there. Same thing with those goddamn homophobic laws out west and in the south. I'm leaving this country right after college.

All laws restricts personal freedom in some way. Sometimes that's a good thing. But in your own country you have a right to make a mouth about it. In Iran? You have no right to say a word. It's their country, not yours. If Iranian citizens have a problem with it? Let them deal with it. If not? So what? Wow zomg they have passed a law which basically says 'we don't like you' to the western world. Whoopee fuckin' do. Why doesn't the western world ban burqua robes and concealed faces, like it oughta do.

Ohm adn someone was saying about being punished for going into the country with an "unnacceptable" haircut? I remember hearing from someone I know who's traveled around about people being forced to have haircuts right in the airport inside certain Arab countries (I believe it was Iran.)

And what about the schools in the UK and the US that forbid certain haircuts, piercings etc? Or have to wear uniforms? How is that any bloody different?

#13 Calamity_Jones

Calamity_Jones

Boomers Disposable Minion

• Project Team
  • 2,399 posts
  • Projects:Only War 2
  •  The Lurker-Turned-Poster-Turned-Lurker

Posted 01 May 2007 - 10:13 AM

Once again Paradox, your posts reek of sense like my feet reek of rotting flesh :huh:

Yeah, you're right, we really shouldn't be bothered what goes on over there... Let them deal with it... Of course, if they have some oil... :lol:
Posted Image

#14 MSpencer

MSpencer

Think Tank... Legend?

• Hosted
  • 4,120 posts
  • Projects:Admin @ Meaaov Gaming, university studies, ugh... research. GNP's Flagship of the Left.
  •  Angry, angry bastard.

Posted 01 May 2007 - 10:49 AM

Most victimless crimes are completely unenforceable since the nature of the crime involves two willing participants.

http://en.wikipedia....ers_v._Hardwick
http://en.wikipedia....wrence_v._Texas
http://en.wikipedia....eople_v._Onofre
http://en.wikipedia....nley_v._Georgia
http://en.wikipedia...._v._Connecticut

I'm sure you could find another 600 notable sex-related landmark State Supreme Court as well as national Supreme Court cases which just discuss sexual acts of a deviant nature or sodomy. Really? Not enforceable? Well... these guys had to be convicted then denied appeal a few times to even get to that level.

Now naturally, it's neither right nor possible to regulate sexual activity (A certain Pierre Trudeau quote about governments and bedrooms comes to mind), but that doesn't mean governments don't try and, in some cases, succeed.

I doubt such laws are even enforced and this can be plainly seen since such hairstyles were banned decades ago;

Imagine a theocracy.
Imagine this theocracy worships a religion with an oppressive, established organized hierarchy, and now imagine that, one day, you wear a "Religion is Fake," or "God is Imaginary" T-Shirt. Naturally, the theocracy only exists because the establishment has a ridiculous amount of power, and a good portion of the population either supports or tolerates it, but the end result is the same. In order to tolerate this oppressive regime, they MUST turn you in. They have little choice, it's either that, or be considered a sinner, burn in hell, etc., you know, all the bad things religions accuse you of.

That's Iran. Iran's a sprawling, unbelievably powerful theocracy which rules its citizens with an organized Islamic iron fist. If you don't want to follow Sharia Law, you end up facing the consequences, either at the local level or in a religious way with condemnation, etc. If it were just enforcement at the federal level, of course they couldn't track down every woman with a western haircut in the country, but when you have a massive amount of people looking for these things and looking for deviant behavior in the society, being discovered is almost assured.
Posted Image
My Favorite Website.My UniversityAnd... Mein Kampf?
C. elegans for President

#15 Comrade Kal

Comrade Kal

Blur are better than Oasis

• Members
  • 2,491 posts
  • Projects:The revolution
  •  Terrorist

Posted 01 May 2007 - 12:23 PM

1) I do not believe Western culture and ideals should be enforced on non-Westerners. If they want to keep Arab culture purely Arab, then that's absolutely fine. I'd much rather Western culture keep to itself, and Arab culture stop interfering with ours, too. Interlopers into a culture should, if they intend to live there, adhere to the values of that culture. I have never, ever said contrary, so I'm not being hypocritical in any way.

yeah, yeah, ok then, tomorrow we're making you get a skinhead to preserve our british culture. This is a government telling you how you can have your fucking hair and you think it's all OK because they're preserving culture?! Culture is a load of fucking shit because it changes with every generation. If it's influenced by western cultures then so the hell what.

And what about the schools in the UK and the US that forbid certain haircuts, piercings etc? Or have to wear uniforms? How is that any bloody different?

doesn't make it right.

Edited by Comrade Kal, 01 May 2007 - 12:24 PM.

Posted Image

"To be governed is tragic, to govern is pathetic."

#16 Cheshire Fox

Cheshire Fox

El Hombre Sinestro

• Hosted
  • 755 posts
  • Projects:Keeping Apocalypse and Wrath alive
  •  Apocalypse Admin, Wrath of Orion Admin

Posted 01 May 2007 - 07:09 PM

And those schools aren't public ones, at least not around here. I can't speak for other areas, but I know the Public schools aren't allowed to enforce things like that. If you so choose to go to a school that has that dress codes, good for you.
Posted Image
This is the place where all the junkies go, where time gets fast but everything gets slow.
I'll get to the moon if I have to crawl.
The problem with any government is that it eventually attracts politicians.

#17 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2007 - 09:43 PM

What are you talking about? The vast majority of state schools have uniforms.

#18 narboza22

narboza22

Q6600 :)

• Hosted
  • 357 posts
  • Projects:Tactical Warfare
  •  US supporter to the end

Posted 01 May 2007 - 10:06 PM

What are you talking about? The vast majority of state schools have uniforms.

Not in the US. Public school's here have "guidelines" that say stuff like you have to be mostly clothed, but there are no dress codes or uniforms.
Posted Image

#19 lefthand

lefthand

Free Agent

• Members
  • 425 posts
  •  Propagandist

Posted 02 May 2007 - 12:00 AM

I'm sure you could find another 600 notable sex-related landmark State Supreme Court as well as national Supreme Court cases which just discuss sexual acts of a deviant nature or sodomy. Really? Not enforceable? Well... these guys had to be convicted then denied appeal a few times to even get to that level.

I never implied that people would never get caught…however the majority proceed unstopped by such restrictions. History has shown this and the futility of such unenforceable laws. Americans are not bashful about sodomy; apparently many enjoy it.

Imagine a theocracy…
That's Iran. Iran's a sprawling, unbelievably powerful theocracy which rules its citizens with an organized Islamic iron fist.

First, Iran isn’t a theocracy; it is a constitutional theocracy.

Second, if Iran is the kind of cold, monolithic theocratic society that you describe then how did these haircuts and other Western trends take root in the first place? Laws are great but they only have teeth when the government body wants to serve in enforcing them. Much like our sodomy laws within the States…our legal system does not actively seek out to control such behavior or arrest those that are committing it.
Posted Image

#20 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 09:43 AM

Offtopic: Is there some sort of expletive on the 'Add Reply' page? Since my uni resnet frequently blocks it...especially if I quote someone.

My question with regards those US sex trials is...how the hell can there be any sort of proving? Surely if the couples were consensual, and I assume they were, as opposed to a wanker golddigging off a fake-rape trial) then the other person wouldn't file a complaint?
If that is so, how can there be any sort of testimony against them? The police can prove nothing. All both sexual parties have to do is deny the whole thing. On what grounds could the police come over and arrest you on suspicion of commiting homosexual intercourse? It just...it staggers me.

"Did you do this guy up the ass?"
"No."
"Did he do you up the ass?"
"No."
"You're fired, Detective Inspector."

yeah, yeah, ok then, tomorrow we're making you get a skinhead to preserve our british culture. This is a government telling you how you can have your fucking hair and you think it's all OK because they're preserving culture?! Culture is a load of fucking shit because it changes with every generation. If it's influenced by western cultures then so the hell what.

I never said it was OK. It's up to them, at the end of the day. I am an advocate of personal freedoms, but it's not my place to say 'zomg this is wrong' to another nation. I don't have to live under their laws, so so what?

But my point is, if I were to go live in India or somewhere like that, I'd be expected to conform to their laws and their ways of doing stuff. If that includes a public dress code, I should respect that, whether I agree with it or not. I'm an interloper into their culture. What would give me the right to force it on them? If they want their culture to change, that's up to them.

doesn't make it right.

Never said it did. But the principle is the same. All this bleating about what Iranians can do? Yep, well it's basically the same deal as the bullshit that goes on in schools. So, who's the hypocrite now, Darkskul? :crazed:

And those schools aren't public ones, at least not around here. I can't speak for other areas, but I know the Public schools aren't allowed to enforce things like that. If you so choose to go to a school that has that dress codes, good for you.

Now hang on a minute. I didn't CHOOSE jack shit. Every school in England (well, I say 'every', but it's nearer 90%) of schools has uniform dress code. Rest of Europe doesn't, most of America doesn't. We do. For some reason. It makes no sense.

Edited by Paradox, 02 May 2007 - 09:47 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users