Photo

Squad Balance in the early game

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
45 replies to this topic

Poll: Squads (14 member(s) have cast votes)

Are infantry squads overpowered in the first 3 minutes of the game?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Alias

Alias

Pessimist.

• Members
  • 303 posts
  • Projects:ShockWave, Rise of the Reds, WarGames ZH

Posted 07 September 2007 - 01:32 PM

Infact, a shorter game makes the game last longer, as it takes more turns to use all the units.

Anyway... it's all in opinion and I respect yours, and you respect mine.

However I do believe the squad build option for infantry is overpowered, as it requires less micromanagement to keep pumping out infantry.

Edited by Alias, 07 September 2007 - 01:33 PM.

#2 Pendaelose

Pendaelose

Remix3 Modder

• Hosted
  • 5,687 posts
  • Projects:Remix Beta 1.0

Posted 07 September 2007 - 02:29 PM

However I do believe the squad build option for infantry is overpowered, as it requires less micromanagement to keep pumping out infantry.

The line of thinking used in ZH is that infantry are the weakest unit on the field. They are a last resort or rush only unit, and that the entire game should be played using tanks. I firmly disagree with this. Infantry should be a large part of the Paper-Rock-Scissors and just as important as tanks, artillery, or aircraft.

If we look at modern combat, there is nothing, no tank, no jet, no ship, as effective at holding and defeneding territory as Infantry. No army, anywhere, can function without infantry creating a firm backbone of operations. Every other battlefield element, Tanks, and Jets, exsist to support the capabilities of infantry. I think it is foolish to make infantry weak, useless, and overpriced. They are the back bone of defense.

building in squads defeinately makes them 5 times stronger than they were in the original ZH, but I'm also a firm beleiver that infantry were less than a 10th as powerful as they should have been.

Even when built 100 at a time infantry are so frail that they can easily be massacred by any gattling or artillery weapons. The only effective use for basic infantry I've seen is base defense. They are a easy way to quickly renforce broken defenses. Even while defending they are artillery bait, but if the enemy is foolish enough to attack with only MBTs he deserves to have them eaten alive by rocket troops.

Your first thaughts when attacking an enemy base should be "What can I build to crush his infantry so my tanks can do thier job?"

Your first thaughts in defending should be "How can I protect my infantry so I can crush his tanks?"

If you get into this midset you will find that infantry are not overpowered at all, but rather for the first time in ZH they are starting to capture just a tiny bit of the significance they have in real combat.

Infact, somewhere in this forum, there is an entire topic dedicated to ways of making infantry even more capable... it proved a fairly popular idea, your the first person ever to express such an opinion.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Between now and the next polished release there should be very little new art work done. Instead the focus is on designing, testing, and fixing. the mod has always been so close to finished that its nearly criminal. I'd love to see this through to the end with a real community effort.

#3 Alias

Alias

Pessimist.

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 03:18 PM

You may seem surprised, but I actually love my infantry, but I value balance more.

The fact that spamming rocket infantry early game can almost certainly cause thousands of monetary damage to the enemy, but also come so cheaply astounds me. The fact that rocket infantry tear tanks, and even anti-personnel infantry apart just astounds me.

But this is however just my opinion on this, as it is your mod it is completely your choice how to deal/if to deal at all with this situation.

Thankyou for reading, I hope you take this into consideration.

~Alias

Edited by Alias, 07 September 2007 - 03:18 PM.

#4 Phoenix911

Phoenix911

SAS Alpha Team Leader (Forum n00b Hunter 1st battalion)

• Project Team
  • 3,950 posts
  • Projects:Remix Alpha Tester.
  •  I'm the remix alpha tester thats loves to attack n00bs... muhahah!!!

Posted 08 September 2007 - 01:28 PM

Balance is good i agree alias but remix is balanced more so than most mods but also u can't haver a game 100% balanced there has to be some flexablity.
Why have diff looking units and sides if everything is the same?
"OMG there battlemaster has such and such armor and firepower i better give there crusader and scropian tanks the same for balance" That mind set does not work there is "MANY" ways to make a game balanced.

And infantry are not too strong do u play the games with your eyes open or closed? Anti infantry tanks and other infanty can pawn infantry rushs.
Also all sides can buidl squads of infantry so its balanced as each side can counter the other person infantry with infantry if needed.
Infantry are slow and fragile.
Fire 1 artil shell into a group of infantry and 8 or more blow into tiny bits add 2 or 3 artillary and u have an nice easy way of stoppign infantry rushs.
Humvees with infantry in can pawn other infantry, gattlin tanks and flame tanks.
Don't go saying there too strong when there is tons of ways to counter them and stop them dead, And as i said the most noticable way is every side can build squads of infantry cheep if someone rushs u with troops counter theres with troops simple.

Also everyones idea of balance is differant i respect your opinion but hey if u enjoy a game being a perfect mirror of 1 team to another then fine by me aslong as u enjoy it.

I do have one thing to say wtf is with your logic about this.
"Infact, a shorter game makes the game last longer, as it takes more turns to use all the units"
I mean honestly if all games last 10 mins with you then u always end up with the same units being built u wont ever get past your threshhold.
It taks a set time to upgrade tech trees from o to 3 and its impossable to get to 3 in 10 mins so i don't see how u will see any of the other units "ever" unless your games laster longer.
So the game would still get old quick because your only seeing the same things over and over, the tech trees and the diversity of the sides offer alot more tactical ways of dealing with the enemy.
I think the problem is alot of peaple get stuck in a narrow mind set about things and if things don't match this narrow mind set then its "bad"

My friend hiroshi is very unflexable and its his downfall, he builds his base so tight together that units have a hard job moving out his base but his reasons is "i can fit more in" but even if u tell him that a sw will make short work of him he simply says "i can rebuild it" um no not if his moneys low or if he lost all his construction vehicals and even if he could rebuild it would leave him crippled and a quick attack would whip him from the map.
And since units have trouble moving bout his base it slows his attack force up as they have trouble getting out.
1 time he had an airfield but up close to the frount door of the command center and his dozers was having touble moving out.

This can be reflected in cnc3 as well some reason he does not buidl so tight together however he depends on his defences way too much and when they start to fail he refuses to build infantry or light units to help hold the line. This is one reason he hates the 1.07 patch cos the defences have been balanced more and so he hates it he simply "wont" ajust his playstyle or learn to adapt.
And i think thats a problem with not just stratagy games but alot of games players get there mind stuck on 1 thing and wanna see it reflexted in every game out and if 1 tiny details not how they think it should be they say "games crap" or "unbalanced"
Phoenix™ The Forgotten Samurai
A wise man chooses death before war, A wiser man chooses not to become war.
Posted Image
Foamy!?!! Xombie!?! Awesome Cannon Rock
Everyone should watch this and pass it on as its a very good argument on the subject of Global Warming.

#5 olli

olli

Resident Pilot

• Project Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • Projects:Remix Escalation Top Quality Imaginer and Pro Tester. CnC Guild Gossip Whore
  •  Misanthropic Hulking Adonis

Posted 08 September 2007 - 05:27 PM

heh... i hate building things close together. i always spread my buildings out as far as possible, so it makes it hearder for superwepaon farming type people...and also so that generals powers only take out 1 or 2 buildings....not like all of my tech centres and factorys etc.

i do have a different way of playing the AI though. thats because ive played it enough to know its build and attack style.
Posted Image
CnC Guild - As ancient as time itself.
Do you like anything CnC releated? Then the CnC guild likes you! Go make friends with it.

Latest Remix Escalation on ModDB
Remix Escalation on Revora - Track the latest news and changes.

#6 Alias

Alias

Pessimist.

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 07:57 AM

Before I start, Phoenix, your insults do not do anything, and I'm not going to bother to respond to them as it'll just cause the whole fantrain to attack my arse for retaliating, and I'm here to argue this idea, not argue about my level of intelligence.

Balance is good i agree alias but remix is balanced more so than most mods but also u can't haver a game 100% balanced there has to be some flexablity.
Why have diff looking units and sides if everything is the same?
"OMG there battlemaster has such and such armor and firepower i better give there crusader and scropian tanks the same for balance" That mind set does not work there is "MANY" ways to make a game balanced.

I'm not asking for things to be the same, I'm asking for things to be more fair.

And infantry are not too strong do u play the games with your eyes open or closed? Anti infantry tanks and other infanty can pawn infantry rushs.
Also all sides can buidl squads of infantry so its balanced as each side can counter the other person infantry with infantry if needed.
Infantry are slow and fragile.

Infantry may be slow but on a decent sized 1v1 map they should arrive at a base within the first 2 minutes, quick enough to pump out a massive amount of them.

And for a beta tester, you really don't know your game as not all sides can build squads (Cybernetics, Tank, etc...).

Fire 1 artil shell into a group of infantry and 8 or more blow into tiny bits add 2 or 3 artillary and u have an nice easy way of stoppign infantry rushs.
Humvees with infantry in can pawn other infantry, gattlin tanks and flame tanks.
Don't go saying there too strong when there is tons of ways to counter them and stop them dead, And as i said the most noticable way is every side can build squads of infantry cheep if someone rushs u with troops counter theres with troops simple.

Apart from the fact that 8 dead infantry = less cost than 1 dead artillery and by using the scatter function (pressing x when troops are selected) makes that artillery near useless once 5 of my missile infantry slaughter that artillery.

And once again, 8 missile infantry take out 1 humvee for cheaper price, once again money best spent, as the humvee may only kill about 2 of them.

Also everyones idea of balance is differant i respect your opinion but hey if u enjoy a game being a perfect mirror of 1 team to another then fine by me aslong as u enjoy it.

That is not my point, my point is all factions should be able to build squads, or no factions should.

I do have one thing to say wtf is with your logic about this.
"Infact, a shorter game makes the game last longer, as it takes more turns to use all the units"
I mean honestly if all games last 10 mins with you then u always end up with the same units being built u wont ever get past your threshhold.

It makes you not spam the units you spammed before in turn to try out the other new things. :)

It taks a set time to upgrade tech trees from o to 3 and its impossable to get to 3 in 10 mins so i don't see how u will see any of the other units "ever" unless your games laster longer.
So the game would still get old quick because your only seeing the same things over and over, the tech trees and the diversity of the sides offer alot more tactical ways of dealing with the enemy.
I think the problem is alot of peaple get stuck in a narrow mind set about things and if things don't match this narrow mind set then its "bad"

Yes, it may take time to upgrade tech trees, but you should manage at least tier 3 by 15 minutes, with a stable economy.

My friend hiroshi is very unflexable and its his downfall, he builds his base so tight together that units have a hard job moving out his base but his reasons is "i can fit more in" but even if u tell him that a sw will make short work of him he simply says "i can rebuild it" um no not if his moneys low or if he lost all his construction vehicals and even if he could rebuild it would leave him crippled and a quick attack would whip him from the map.
And since units have trouble moving bout his base it slows his attack force up as they have trouble getting out.
1 time he had an airfield but up close to the frount door of the command center and his dozers was having touble moving out.

What's this got to do with the topic?

This can be reflected in cnc3 as well some reason he does not buidl so tight together however he depends on his defences way too much and when they start to fail he refuses to build infantry or light units to help hold the line. This is one reason he hates the 1.07 patch cos the defences have been balanced more and so he hates it he simply "wont" ajust his playstyle or learn to adapt.
And i think thats a problem with not just stratagy games but alot of games players get there mind stuck on 1 thing and wanna see it reflexted in every game out and if 1 tiny details not how they think it should be they say "games crap" or "unbalanced"

I am perfectly capable of adapting (as that is the key to busting another player's strategy), but once again, what's this got to do with the topic?

~Alias.

Edited by Alias, 09 September 2007 - 08:06 AM.

#7 olli

olli

Resident Pilot

• Project Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • Projects:Remix Escalation Top Quality Imaginer and Pro Tester. CnC Guild Gossip Whore

Posted 09 September 2007 - 09:20 AM

it'll just cause the whole fantrain to attack my arse for retaliating, and I'm here to argue this idea, not argue about my level of intelligence.

no...sorry. there is no fantrain. no one will attack you for what your saying. but what you are implying is a little bit rude.
Posted Image
Do you like anything CnC releated? Then the CnC guild likes you! Go make friends with it.

#8 Phoenix911

Phoenix911

• Project Team
  • 3,950 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 12:26 PM

I don't think i insulted u alias and if i did in some way then i appologize.
as for the last part my point was proving that peaple get stuck in a norrow mind set. And wont a just to change they feel there plan is 100% the best and right way to do things even if there plan will be there downfall.
All i was saying is because infantry in all other zh and its mod have always been relativly crap and so peaple expect them to not be any good.

And forgive me if i made a small mistake about each side building squads because imo all sides can or atlest have a quick way to pawn an infantry rush.
Have u seen the power of the cyborg?
1 of them = 1 squad of troops almost so if u build 10 of them u should be in a good pos to kill or at the very lest have killed 3/4 of there army.
Also please remember when u get near there base the enemys troops do not need to run half as far as yours witch mean your enemy will be getting a constant stream of reinforcments.

And about the tires u said your games are 5-10 mins u wont get all the tires done and even with a stable inflow of cash u wont get them so easy because your be spending your cash instantly.... Unless u are saying u always start with 100,000 starting cash on PvPs?
If so then of course u can afford them but if u start with 10k or 20k and u are buildings your base and troops and units then u will find it gets very hard to upgrade tire 3 costing 8000 if i remember rightly.
But i not checked the price in awhile so it might of been incressed cos ther was a disscussion awhile ago about the tires.
My point is if u do start with 100k then u coudl get all teh tires but in 15 mins sure but u would have to be upgrading each tire asap.
Witch means u would need to be alert to when 1 is finished and be ready to build the next building to actually get the abuilty to the next tech.
And i have and i am sure other have done it that when your busy with other things or controling a force for a short while then uts quiet easy to miss the upgrade complete message.
So your quick games i doubt u will get to see tire 3 and only pushing tire 2, and as u was using a 1v1 map as an example then on a 1v1 map with rush players then u wont even get to tire 2 because a "good" rusher will kill there enemy before tire 2 has been started.

And about the tester comment yer that was great made me laugh, are u a tester? there is quiet alot of things to remember and sometimes i or amybe another tester will forget something.
NOONE is perfect and i am sure if u are a tester may have forgotten or overlooked something in the past.
Why do u think there are a many number of testers? because 1 may miss something where another will find it, that is why big companys have a number of testers aswell because they know not everyones perfect and sometimes it takes a fresh set of eyes to notice something.
Hell even pend the person to makes the mod has on occations forgotten something or overlooked something, are u going to say he is n00b as well?
And also even testers miss things why do u think public betas are released even by some big games companys?
Because the public will give feed back and sometimes find a bug that was missed. Why do u think games are patched? Why bother patching a game if u know its 100% balanced and 100% bug free?

So my advice is don't come acting all high an mighty in an area where u should have some respect for its users, you do not see any of us going over to your shockwave mod forums and saying "omfg this mod is so crap and your whole team has no clue about balance" do u? Um no you don't
Because even if we do not think its balanced or fun that does not give us the right to go and insult it in there forums thats just rude.
Thats worse than actually going to another forum and advertising your mod there without even asking if its ok first.
Posted Image
Everyone should watch this and pass it on as its a very good argument on the subject of Global Warming.

#9 Alias

Alias

Pessimist.

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 09:21 PM

All i was saying is because infantry in all other zh and its mod have always been relativly crap and so peaple expect them to not be any good.

Yet for their price, they're better than anything early game.

And forgive me if i made a small mistake about each side building squads because imo all sides can or atlest have a quick way to pawn an infantry rush.
Have u seen the power of the cyborg?
1 of them = 1 squad of troops almost so if u build 10 of them u should be in a good pos to kill or at the very lest have killed 3/4 of there army.
Also please remember when u get near there base the enemys troops do not need to run half as far as yours witch mean your enemy will be getting a constant stream of reinforcments.

And I'll have a constant stream of attackers, one of use will run out of money first, and whoever had the most early game map control (derricks etc...) will be able to win, as the other will just run out of cash.

And about the tires u said your games are 5-10 mins u wont get all the tires done and even with a stable inflow of cash u wont get them so easy because your be spending your cash instantly.... Unless u are saying u always start with 100,000 starting cash on PvPs?
If so then of course u can afford them but if u start with 10k or 20k and u are buildings your base and troops and units then u will find it gets very hard to upgrade tire 3 costing 8000 if i remember rightly.
But i not checked the price in awhile so it might of been incressed cos ther was a disscussion awhile ago about the tires.

I play 10k only in a PvP (20k for 2v2 to make it a little faster), first thing to concentrate on is money, and infantry. You only need 1800 for a massive infantry rush.

My point is if u do start with 100k then u coudl get all teh tires but in 15 mins sure but u would have to be upgrading each tire asap.
Witch means u would need to be alert to when 1 is finished and be ready to build the next building to actually get the abuilty to the next tech.
And i have and i am sure other have done it that when your busy with other things or controling a force for a short while then uts quiet easy to miss the upgrade complete message.
So your quick games i doubt u will get to see tire 3 and only pushing tire 2, and as u was using a 1v1 map as an example then on a 1v1 map with rush players then u wont even get to tire 2 because a "good" rusher will kill there enemy before tire 2 has been started.

Yes, but with Command Centre on shortcut, it really isn't that hard to do. Also, going to tier 2 is for safety reasons only, if that rush doesn't completely kill the enemy you have to have some fast backup to get in there before they rebuild.

And about the tester comment yer that was great made me laugh, are u a tester? there is quiet alot of things to remember and sometimes i or amybe another tester will forget something.
NOONE is perfect and i am sure if u are a tester may have forgotten or overlooked something in the past.
Why do u think there are a many number of testers? because 1 may miss something where another will find it, that is why big companys have a number of testers aswell because they know not everyones perfect and sometimes it takes a fresh set of eyes to notice something.
Hell even pend the person to makes the mod has on occations forgotten something or overlooked something, are u going to say he is n00b as well?
And also even testers miss things why do u think public betas are released even by some big games companys?
Because the public will give feed back and sometimes find a bug that was missed. Why do u think games are patched? Why bother patching a game if u know its 100% balanced and 100% bug free?

I test a at least 5 mods and I do not really miss too many things, yes I may not know the cause of the bug, but I certainly record it and make sure it gets fixed for the next release.

So my advice is don't come acting all high an mighty in an area where u should have some respect for its users, you do not see any of us going over to your shockwave mod forums and saying "omfg this mod is so crap and your whole team has no clue about balance" do u? Um no you don't
Because even if we do not think its balanced or fun that does not give us the right to go and insult it in there forums thats just rude.
Thats worse than actually going to another forum and advertising your mod there without even asking if its ok first.

I respect your opinions, but you have to respect mine as well. This is what I'm suggesting and it is my perfect right to do so, otherwise what'd be the point in a public forum?

~Alias

Edited by Alias, 09 September 2007 - 09:23 PM.

#10 Pendaelose

Pendaelose

Remix3 Modder

• Hosted
  • 5,687 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 10:18 PM

I have to say that for thier price, they most certainly ARE the best purchase in Remix. Every unit, at every tech level in remix follows the same trend in Remix. The later-game and more powerful the unit, the less cost effective it is. The earlier game, and weaker the unit is (indevidualy) the more cost effective it is.

For that reason, infantry are THE MOST cost effective unit class in the whole game. But, that cost effective charm is not without weakness. They are painfuly slow, they are frail, and easily destroyed by AOE weapons and dedicated anti-infantry weapons. An artillery gun, a gattling tank, and 5 rangers, easily destroys the same cost in pure rocket troopers, often without even a single casualty.

If you build only artillery, only gattling tanks, or only infantry you deserve to get raped, and I can promise that any good player will.

Infantry are not a fix-all solution in the early game. they are easy to counter with combined arms. But, even in the late game a handful of infantry mixed in with any other unit type makes a great addition. If your enemy is foolish enough to rely only on powerful late game units, such as heavy tanks or Fafnirs etc, then Rocket troops can suddenly feel very overpowered because they will eat these heavy units, but if you mix your late game heavy tanks with some artillery, some gattling tanks, and few infantry of your own then you'll notice wright away the infantry are only a part of the picture.

And you are quite right, not all General's have the squad options. You will notice that its exactly one general per faction lacks the squad option. these generals are chosen for specific reasons.

Robot General lacks squads because he has other very powerful ground atack options. He has powerful (if expensive) infantry and has drones built in the barracks in the early game. He can hold his own without squads.

Tank General lacks squads because he has cost effective tank-options. he also has some very powerful anti infantry weapons available at the start of the game. He can very effectivly hold his own vs infantry swarms.

Chem General lacks squads (in development) because his own infantry are voulnerable to his own toxins. Large scale infantry swarms are not a viable option for him. He does on the otherhand have extreamly effective anti-infantry weapons and can supress even the largest infantry rushes with ease. He doesn't need squads.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Between now and the next polished release there should be very little new art work done. Instead the focus is on designing, testing, and fixing. the mod has always been so close to finished that its nearly criminal. I'd love to see this through to the end with a real community effort.

#11 Alias

Alias

Pessimist.

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 06:00 AM

I have to say that for thier price, they most certainly ARE the best purchase in Remix. Every unit, at every tech level in remix follows the same trend in Remix. The later-game and more powerful the unit, the less cost effective it is. The earlier game, and weaker the unit is (indevidualy) the more cost effective it is.

For that reason, infantry are THE MOST cost effective unit class in the whole game. But, that cost effective charm is not without weakness. They are painfuly slow, they are frail, and easily destroyed by AOE weapons and dedicated anti-infantry weapons. An artillery gun, a gattling tank, and 5 rangers, easily destroys the same cost in pure rocket troopers, often without even a single casualty.

If you build only artillery, only gattling tanks, or only infantry you deserve to get raped, and I can promise that any good player will.

Infantry are not a fix-all solution in the early game. they are easy to counter with combined arms. But, even in the late game a handful of infantry mixed in with any other unit type makes a great addition. If your enemy is foolish enough to rely only on powerful late game units, such as heavy tanks or Fafnirs etc, then Rocket troops can suddenly feel very overpowered because they will eat these heavy units, but if you mix your late game heavy tanks with some artillery, some gattling tanks, and few infantry of your own then you'll notice wright away the infantry are only a part of the picture.

And you are quite right, not all General's have the squad options. You will notice that its exactly one general per faction lacks the squad option. these generals are chosen for specific reasons.

Robot General lacks squads because he has other very powerful ground atack options. He has powerful (if expensive) infantry and has drones built in the barracks in the early game. He can hold his own without squads.

Tank General lacks squads because he has cost effective tank-options. he also has some very powerful anti infantry weapons available at the start of the game. He can very effectivly hold his own vs infantry swarms.

Chem General lacks squads (in development) because his own infantry are voulnerable to his own toxins. Large scale infantry swarms are not a viable option for him. He does on the otherhand have extreamly effective anti-infantry weapons and can supress even the largest infantry rushes with ease. He doesn't need squads.

Thanks for your input, however it would be nice if either the price upped, or squad build removed.

Also however, with proper micromanagement and a constant stream of infantry, there really isn't anything that is cheap enough and readily available enough within the first 2 minutes of a game. After an infantry rush, you either kill them completely, destroy a substantial amount of their structures or shatter their economy beyond repair for many valuable minutes in which vehicles can come in and win the match.

Edited by Alias, 10 September 2007 - 06:04 AM.

#12 Gredinus

Gredinus

Weapon of mass destruction.

• Hosted
  • 1,128 posts
  • Projects:Remix3 Support
  •  GLA Guru

Posted 10 September 2007 - 08:25 AM

And thats why I hide Snipers along the map and orund my defences.

Posted Image

#13 Alias

Alias

Pessimist.

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 09:27 AM

And thats why I hide Snipers along the map and orund my defences.

Except for the fact snipers aren't available in the first 2 minutes.

#14 Phoenix911

Phoenix911

• Project Team
  • 3,950 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 10:58 AM

Thanks for your input, however it would be nice if either the price upped, or squad build removed.

Also however, with proper micromanagement and a constant stream of infantry, there really isn't anything that is cheap enough and readily available enough within the first 2 minutes of a game. After an infantry rush, you either kill them completely, destroy a substantial amount of their structures or shatter their economy beyond repair for many valuable minutes in which vehicles can come in and win the match.

Pend already explained how the price works your balance imo does not make sence.
And i already said even if u attack so eairly on another play the capablity of building plenty of defences and defending anti infantry units so techniqly u are running your infantry into a wall of hurt yes?

What you are implying is that u are an almighty player and no matter what your infantry rush will win everytime yes?
Play pend i sure he will give u a run for your money may even teach u a thing or too about how balnce in remix is fair.
Posted Image

#15 Pendaelose

Pendaelose

Remix3 Modder

• Hosted
  • 5,687 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 01:26 PM

Alias,

If your enemy has even just a couple base defenses and 2-3 baracks they can not only push back any infantry rush you send, but they do so easily. To destroy an enemy base you need a mix of defenders and rangers (or tank hunters and red gaurd, same difference). Your enemy on the other hand needs ONLY rangers to repel your attack. His defense is cheaper, faster building, and not hinderd by a death march across the map. and thats asuming he has no artillery or other ideal infantry killers. Add a battery of 16+ early game artillery units with base defenses and infantry escort and you can kill hundreds of infantry before they get close enough to shoot back.

I find it very hard to believe that infantry assault is an "unstopable force" in the first 2 minutes. I've heard the exact same myth about drone rushes and Auroras.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#16 Capt.Drake

Capt.Drake

Rangers Lead the Way

• Project Team
  • 1,851 posts
  • Projects:A new map for Remix Mod
  •  Remix Escalation Alpha Tester ,Camo Artist and part-time Mapper

Posted 10 September 2007 - 01:49 PM

Well I think basic artillery is a bit underestimated in this hole thing, at the moment I'm always reeinforcing my Super Weapon Gen defences with standart artillery cause Patriots suck against infantry, and there is no other defence avaible, and well no matter how much infantry you send , there is no chance cause I can reeinforce faster and I can fire first, meaning that your troops will either be KIA or wounded before facing my defences

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

#17 Alias

Alias

Pessimist.

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 06:21 AM

Alias,

If your enemy has even just a couple base defenses and 2-3 baracks they can not only push back any infantry rush you send, but they do so easily. To destroy an enemy base you need a mix of defenders and rangers (or tank hunters and red gaurd, same difference). Your enemy on the other hand needs ONLY rangers to repel your attack. His defense is cheaper, faster building, and not hinderd by a death march across the map. and thats asuming he has no artillery or other ideal infantry killers. Add a battery of 16+ early game artillery units with base defenses and infantry escort and you can kill hundreds of infantry before they get close enough to shoot back.

I find it very hard to believe that infantry assault is an "unstopable force" in the first 2 minutes. I've heard the exact same myth about drone rushes and Auroras.

I never said to "only" use anti-tank infantry, I said that an infantry rush is very deadly. People do underestimate the scatter function. With reflexes and infantry marked in groups it is very easy to dodge artillery fire. Defences are also overrated as a group of 10-20 Missile infantry with Red Guard/Rangers as cannon fodder is very simple to destroy that defence.

And the fact that they will probably not have 3 barracks in a realistic situation (without knowing the tactic), and the infantry will mow down the dozers before the damage can be repaired/new structures built. 16 artillery units may kill a portion of my infantry, but however they will be overcome by the sheer numbers of the infantry (we're talking 1v1 maps here, not an 8p map, so with 4 barracks with the timing correctly there will be a constant stream).

And EVEN if the infantry rush fails, that substatial amount of cash you spent on those artillery will have little effect when the tanks arrive. ;)

~Alias.

Edited by Alias, 11 September 2007 - 06:21 AM.

#18 olli

olli

Resident Pilot

• Project Team
  • 3,157 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 07:05 AM

well only noobs use the infantry rush tactic in Remix, early game. the only general which it would be acceptable to rush early game with, would be Infantry general.

so it wont usually happen unless your playing a complete noob. you can agree on the rules before the match

and you are saying it like infantry rushing happens only in remix.... it happens in all mods and in the origional generals.

Edited by olli, 11 September 2007 - 07:07 AM.

Posted Image

#19 Alias

Alias

Pessimist.

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 08:19 AM

You may think rushing is "noob" but I think turtleing is "noob", it's all in the context and opinion. Tactics are acceptable for any General, but they may be less effective.

Also, agreeing on rules (other than no superweapon [except for upgrade], the only reason being is that no superweapon does not adversely effect any tactic at all) before a game is just stupid. I see no point in a game with "10 minutes no rush" as it is completely biased against rushers and towards turtlers.

I know infantry rushing happens in any time, I'm just saying, it's far cheaper and far more easily accessible as a viable tactic in Remix than in any other mods.

~Alias.

Edited by Alias, 11 September 2007 - 08:21 AM.

#20 Phoenix911

Phoenix911

• Project Team
  • 3,950 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 11:33 AM

I never agree on rules i think thats plan lame the game is all about tactics if a person wants to be sw a pure defensive side and spam superweapons then let them if u want to rush then fine. I just think its lame and annoying when someone aims to get a game finished before its even started.
Whats the point of having upgrades and cool units and so forth if u never get to see/use them?
Kinda like starcraft a really fantastic game even know compaired to 99% of all stratagys was bugless and balanced perfectly.
However lots of peaple rushed online winning in a few mins and i never understood how fun they find. Protoss carriers and dark archons and terren battleships and siege tanks and walverines(think thats there name) lol
U never get to use or see them let alone the upgrades what about the ghosts.
Rushing imo just kills the game online a few attacks fine but when the person goal is to simply use the infantry to win withing like 5 mins i wonder why as the game is boring then.
And this goes for all stratagy games, i would rather spend more time in a game then more tiem in a lobby sorting out teams maps and players.

Andd I do not turtle completly i use guerlla tactics at start if thats what u can call it, Few attacks that waste enemy cash on defending mainly targetting income lines or the main buildings that would slow there combat effectivness IE: warfactorys, barricks, stratagy centers and so on.
Even if your attack does die as long as you have killed 1 or 2 of there buildings and units then they have to spend more cash rebulding and training such units.
And as my attacks are few but are usly nimble fast moving units i can rebuild them faster and cheeper but also wont waste too much cash.
But also because of this i do have to defend a bit as well.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users