Dwarven Heraldry Contest Submissions Thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
78 replies to this topic

#41 Durin The Deathless

Durin The Deathless
  • Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 09:14 PM

Banner for Khazad Guard, The Inscription at the top is Baruk Khazad in Angerthas Runes, and the thing in the bottom left corner is a dwarven ring of power.

Erebor.JPG

#42 Tobifou

Tobifou
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 10:06 PM

Posted Image

So here is the new version of the khazâd guard banner. Hope you like it^^

Discription:
The hlemet in the center of the banner stands for the grandfather of this family who fought in the battle of Moria as Khazad Guard and were killed by orks. For this reason there are the letters which mean:" Khazâd ai-mênu"
this is the battle cry gimli is shouting at helms deep and means something like :" The Dwarves are Upon You".( special thanks to Durin The Deathless, sry for wrong information but couldn't find the translation^^)
The ax in the baground is a symbol of the family's stand, as they are warriors defending Erebor or another dwarf hold. The color Red is a symbol for the dwarfs killed in so many battles, the blue streaks symbolizes the differences withe the elves and the men. Furthermore the big green streaks stands for the little hope for peace in middle earth.

#43 Olorin

Olorin

Mithrandir

• Members
  • 1,579 posts
  •  That wandering conjuror...

Posted 20 November 2007 - 06:20 AM

Um , what exactly is it ? :p

To tell you the truth, I have no idea. :sad: I just saw it on a website while searching for some Dwarven history. That dragon head at the end gives the impression that that whole design is of Scatha the Worm, so it could come in handy. :mellow:
Posted Image

...The Journey doesn't end here; death is just another path, one that we all must take. The grey rain curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass. And then you see it. White shores...and beyond. A far green country, under a swift sunrise...

...Many folk like to know beforehand what is to be set on the table; but those who have laboured to prepare the feast like to keep their secret; for wonder makes the words of praise louder...

...Stand, Men of the West! Stand and wait! This is the hour of doom... ~ Gandalf the White, The Return of the King

#44 JEV3

JEV3

Mighty Armadillo

• Hosted
  • 719 posts
  • Projects:Game Enhancement Mod
  •  Coder, Skinner, Graphics, GEM Mod Leader
  • Job:T3A Chamber Member

Posted 20 November 2007 - 09:19 PM

I had an idea for a flag and finally last night at between 1-2:00 AM... I had to sketch something out so I wouldn't forget about it. Today I got it ready on the pc and here it is!

Engraver_Flag.png
This is the emblem for the family that specializes in engraving. They consider the hammer and chisel their 'voice' because of their skill in placing lettering on everything they have. (you will notice that the hammer has runes on it, they are the Angerthas runes for V, O, Y, S... phonetically spelling voice in the common tongue)
He who bears skill but lacks effort, makes himself inferior to those who have no skill but try nonetheless.
Posted Image
Posted Image
"There is some good in this world, and its worth fighting for!"
J.M.J.

#45 Dain Ironfoot

Dain Ironfoot

No sex please, we're Dwarves

• Hosted
  • 1,655 posts
  • Projects:The Peninsular War
  •  I aten't dead.

Posted 20 November 2007 - 09:21 PM

Choosing winners here is going to be so tough.

Dain: Arr Nertea: yarrrr Dain: haharrrr Nertea: graaawwwr Dain: oaaaaaaaarr Nertea: .... honk?

#46 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts
  • Projects:The Peloponnesian Wars Mod.
  •  There are no heroes, no villains - only decisions.
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Global Moderator

Posted 20 November 2007 - 10:14 PM

Ooh...clever.

#47 Bebbe

Bebbe

Savvy ?

• Project Team
  • 670 posts
  •  The original guy

Posted 21 November 2007 - 06:43 PM

I was just thinking about jumping on the bandwagon with Khazad Heraldries.
But then I realised that I can't use my computer for 2 weeks.

..Sad :dry:

#48 JEV3

JEV3

Mighty Armadillo

• Hosted
  • 719 posts
  • Projects:Game Enhancement Mod
  •  Coder, Skinner, Graphics, GEM Mod Leader
  • Job:T3A Chamber Member

Posted 22 November 2007 - 04:11 AM

I was just thinking about jumping on the bandwagon with Khazad Heraldries.
But then I realised that I can't use my computer for 2 weeks.

..Sad :dry:

I didn't jump the wagon, I did that flag before Nertea asked for it... I wonder if anyone noticed... :shiftee:

There are just so many unique ideas and if so many people are making the same sort of emblem, then it isn't going to have the diversity everyone is looking for. No matter how great the emblems are, its just not going to work to have three or four Iron/Khazad Guard flags on the Castle. Thats why I keep looking for stuff that hasn't been done yet.

I'm also going for the more pixel-art/sprite oriented side because that is what I'm actually working on in SRB2 mods atm and it works better for an angular system.

I want to get at least one more original idea in before the contest closes, hopefully I'll think of something. :sad2:
He who bears skill but lacks effort, makes himself inferior to those who have no skill but try nonetheless.
Posted Image
Posted Image
"There is some good in this world, and its worth fighting for!"
J.M.J.

#49 Yokai

Yokai
  • New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 08:53 AM

Here is mine. Click on the thumbnail to see it so it doesn't look like crap.

Posted Image

The axes are mithril, and I even managed to come up with a clan motto: The Angerthas reads "Defend first Erebor, then your own life." Transliterated, not translated. I don't speak Dwarvish. :spam:

#50 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Leader

Posted 22 November 2007 - 01:21 PM

Ohhh I REALLY like that one!

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#51 {IP}Sauron

{IP}Sauron

title available

• Hosted
  • 391 posts
  •  Istari Productions Leader

Posted 22 November 2007 - 01:44 PM

This was just a quick try but i can make it better :spam: but do you like the basic design of it?
dwarf_family_heraldy.png
"A still more glourious dawn awaits. Not a sunrise, but a galaxy-rise. A morning filled with 400 billion suns." - Carl Sagan
Posted Image

#52 Andros de Nürne

Andros de Nürne
  • Project Team
  • 209 posts
  • Projects:Qel·la, The Rhovanion Alliance, Irzaar, SGS, Drekers Angel's Creek

Posted 22 November 2007 - 02:40 PM

MMm they are all amazing. It will be difficult to choose the best works.
There will be a day when the sun will rise crying for the dawn
Then, all of them will be opened
The first one will be the continence of a warning
The second one, the flames of the war
The third one, the end.

Arribarà un dia en el qual el sol de l'albada plorara el matí
a la fi les tres s'obriran
La primera serà la continència d'un avís
La segona les flames de la guerra
La tercera, la fi de tot.

QEL·LA IS ABOUT TO BEGIN-----------------------july 2007.
Consideracions de la vida rara

Posted Image

#53 Dain Ironfoot

Dain Ironfoot

• Hosted
  • 1,655 posts
  •  I aten't dead.

Posted 22 November 2007 - 02:47 PM

This really is a great turnout guys. If you enjoy it this much we can definitley run a few more :spam:

Dain: Arr Nertea: yarrrr Dain: haharrrr Nertea: graaawwwr Dain: oaaaaaaaarr Nertea: .... honk?

#54 {IP}Sauron

{IP}Sauron

title available

• Hosted
  • 391 posts
  •  Istari Productions Leader

Posted 22 November 2007 - 10:40 PM

Yay :)
"A still more glourious dawn awaits. Not a sunrise, but a galaxy-rise. A morning filled with 400 billion suns." - Carl Sagan
Posted Image

#55 Eldarion

Eldarion

Global nomad

• Project Team
  • 407 posts
  • Projects:MME, this and that
  •  Skinner, modeler, and coder

Posted 23 November 2007 - 05:11 PM

Here is my first entry (I hope to enter at least one more):

Posted Image

This is not for a specific family, but when I read the words "Dwarven Heraldry," this was the first image that sprang to mind. It's a banner in memory of Thorin Oakenshield - his sword, Orcrist (I know it looks just like Glamdring, but they were related swords) and the Arkenstone...and a bit of Dwarven design that I felt like throwing in because I think it's cool.

I hope to do a banner for a family of masons - we'll see if I can do it before the contest closes.
Posted Image

#56 Dain Ironfoot

Dain Ironfoot

• Hosted
  • 1,655 posts
  •  I aten't dead.

Posted 23 November 2007 - 05:19 PM

Flaming nora! I like that!

#57 Thorin III Stonehelm

Thorin III Stonehelm
  • Project Team
  • 135 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 08:35 PM

Fantastic work, Eldarion!

#58 Tobifou

Tobifou
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 10:33 PM

@ Eldarion i like ths banner very much
its really good
in my opinion it's one of the best ones

#59 Bard

Bard

Wordsmith, Penman and Scribbler

• Project Team
  • 264 posts
  • Projects:Rhovanion Alliance
  •  Rhovanion Alliance Writer

Posted 24 November 2007 - 08:52 AM

Well, here's an entry from a friend of mine (technically we worked on it together but he did the art). Visual art is not my forte and I'm not expecting to win anyway. Cheers! :p

Posted Image

Description:
This coat of arms belongs to an utterly prestigious Dwarven clan of Erebor that specializes in (and indeed is highly renowned for) the making of all things involved in the disposal of bodily wastes: Latrines for Guardhouses, Barracks and Bastions; Water Closets for the average Dwarven Household; imposing Lavatories for equally imposing Mansions; and especially the ubiquitous Outhouse that dot the entire length of the Old Dwarven Road (Many a weary traveler has found relief within the safety of one of the clan's constructs).
This clan also specializes in the crafting of water systems that serve to transport waste out of the Lonely Mountain and into the Running Running River, without overly polluting the adjacent river, of course.
As all Dwarves eat, sleep, grow beards and drink enormous quantities of ale, so too do all Dwarves defecate. "Dwarven fecal matter has to go somewhere", and it is the duty of this particular clan to ensure that "somewhere" is far beyond the sight and smell of those who visit and frequent their halls.
So significant is their role and so masterful their craft that even the King under the Mountain, Dain II Ironfoot himself has personally granted a seat to the leader of the clan (respectfully bearing the title of "Lord of the Privies") within his Council of Chieftains. Recently, their reputation has earned them the notice of the Northmen of Dale and Esgaroth, who wish to employ the clan for their own hygienic purposes.
While some of the more "honourable" Dwarves may be revolted by such a profession, it is not so with this clan of Durin's Folk, who take to their work with a sense of pride and delight one would usually find only in those who are thoroughly deranged. For were it not for them, the Kingdom under the Mountain would have long succumbed under Darkness and Shadow.

This humble insignia was chosen to represent the clan because their previous one (which featured an unbelievably ravishing flush toilet) was considered "excessively monumental" by their elders.
The Angerthas Erebor runes on the left, bottom and right sides of the picture read "By Our Hands - The Mountain - Runs Fragrant" respectively. The inscription on the top of the outhouse merely read "Privy".

Edited by Bard, 24 November 2007 - 12:34 PM.

Posted Image

The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand.

#60 Dain Ironfoot

Dain Ironfoot

• Hosted
  • 1,655 posts
  •  I aten't dead.

Posted 24 November 2007 - 12:42 PM

Silly boy :p

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users