• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 lotrfan

lotrfan

title available

• Project Team
  • 318 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 06:08 AM

For those of you who dont want to use hamachi (for reasons mentioned in another post; privacy and all), I will hopefully be able to play RJ-Rotwk online on the BFME2/ROTWK servers which ea made. I also have converted 2 bfme 1 build plot maps into RJ-ROTWK Build Plot maps. The maps are Mirkwood and Eves of Fangorn. They are custom maps right now, so whoever plays will be able to download the map once the game starts (the same way a custom map is transferred). These maps might be made available next patch as in-game maps (non-custom maps; part of the game's maps).

So whoever wants to play a 2v2 or an ffa, or whatever, you can go and check at different times. Or if u simply don't want to use hamachi, just call ur game something that has RJ-ROTWK in it so people know someone with the mod is hosting.

If i see that a lot of people are comming, i might start on converting maps with more players (hoping to do this. I love 8 player maps.) And i also hope to convert the new maps added in BFME2 and ROTWK to build plot maps. One of the few things that i thought ea did a great job with is the level of detail they put in the maps of BFME2.

Another thing to note is that I pretty much only do build plot maps, so if u want to play another type of map just host ur own.

K, looking forward to good matches. This can also help to detect balance issues in the game, which is something we are going to be looking at soon for a future version of the mod.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, will be in 2v2 Lobby Room, in case anyone was wondering.

Edited by lotrfan, 07 January 2008 - 06:39 AM.

Posted Image

#2 Allathar

Allathar

これを翻訳する

• Project Team
  • 2,752 posts
  • Projects:RJ-RotWK
  •  Greedy capitalist and cynical bastard.

Posted 07 January 2008 - 01:51 PM

So, you succesfully managed to make them pure build-plot maps? With farm & outpost plots fully working? :p
It has been reported that some victims of rape, during the act, would retreat into a fantasy world from which they could not WAKE UP. In this catatonic state, the victim lived in a world just like their normal one, except they weren't being raped. The only way that they realized they needed to WAKE UP was a note they found in their fantasy world. It would tell them about their condition, and tell them to WAKE UP. Even then, it would often take months until they were ready to discard their fantasy world and PLEASE WAKE UP

#3 lotrfan

lotrfan

title available

• Project Team
  • 318 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 08:51 PM

Outposts don't work correctly. This is something that will hopefully be fixed in the next patch. As for farms, only the original 6 factions can get outside farms; Gondor, Elves, Dwarves, Mordor, Isengard, Goblins.

The other 4 factions can't get outside farms, but again, this will hopefully be fixed next patch.

What i did was i converted maps. U can't just simply open a bfme1 map with Rotwk worldbuilder and save it and expect it to work. Rob has his own custom Castle plots which u need to replace with the orignal ones. Then u have to add 2 waypoints for each faction for the starting units. Then u have to copy the scripts and change the waypoint, base_flag, and team number, depending on the faction. This perhaps took the most time. Finally u have to copy the map.ini thats in the buildplot fords of isen map folder to get the maps working as they should be (at least up unitl this point).

One suggestion i would make to rob is to change the name of his castle plot to the original name used. That way that original castle plot is over-ridden, and there will be no need to have to replace the Castle plots in the World Builder. This way, all someone would have to do to convert a map is put the waypoints, import scripts, and then move the map.ini files. The whole process shouldn't take more than 2 minutes.

Oh yeah, in terms of the scripts, u only have to do the coding 1 time (the long part above). Then u can just export it, and any time u want, u just import it to the map needed. Currently, I have done scripts for up to 4 players. 2 scripts i did my own.

Also, there needs to be two scripts imported from the neutral scripts (this is without the ai, gollum spawn points, or the camera views); only the stuff required for build plot maps to work properly.

I know what I just wrote is quite a bit unorganized, but just giving u an idea of what was done. It is actually quite logical, if u explore the build plot map and look at whats going on. Thats how I found out how to do it.

Also, if anyone wants to play, you can let me know by posting in this forum, or just show up if u see the game.
Posted Image

#4 Devon

Devon

Dark Nerd of the Sith

• Global Moderators
  • 5,886 posts
  • Projects:RJ RotWK, Twilight of the Republic, HDLH
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Global Moderator
  • Donated

Posted 07 January 2008 - 10:44 PM

seems rather hard to be on at exactly the same time with someone else using rj...

yodasig2.png
My political compass
There's a story that the grass is so green...what did I see? Where have I been?

#5 lotrfan

lotrfan

title available

• Project Team
  • 318 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 01:05 AM

Ya, that is why i'm trying to get to know when people are available. Also, if everyone switched their playing to the bfme2/rotwk servers, then this wouldn't be that much of a problem. It was mentioned (I think in the private forum) that from file front, or somewhere, there were 500 downloads of the latest patch of the mod. Not to mention the other websites. The mod also made headlines on mevault.com due to the amount of downloads they had.. Say there is 50-80 people who play the mod online. Lets say they probably play between 6-11 p.m. There is bound to be someone in that time who would be playing the mod. This is the same amount of people that are on the BFME1 servers (on a bad day) and a game can always be found there. Im usually on between 7-11 eastern time.

Edited by lotrfan, 09 January 2008 - 01:06 AM.

Posted Image

#6 Shikari

Shikari

Allons-y!

• Project Team
  • 1,327 posts
  • Projects:RJ - RotWK
  •  2D Art

Posted 09 January 2008 - 05:58 PM

500 downloads

Make that 3998 at last count :rolleyes:

The counter your looking at is the weekly one...

Edited by Shikari, 09 January 2008 - 05:58 PM.

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

#7 Devon

Devon

Dark Nerd of the Sith

• Global Moderators
  • 5,886 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Donated

Posted 09 January 2008 - 09:06 PM

but...you would have to wait forever to find a server without easy communication. i just dont think it will work, but go ahead and try to set it up :rolleyes: maybe something will come of it

yodasig2.png
My political compass

#8 lotrfan

lotrfan

title available

• Project Team
  • 318 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 01:07 PM

but...you would have to wait forever to find a server without easy communication.

Posted Image

#9 lotrfan

lotrfan

title available

• Project Team
  • 318 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 03:39 PM

Hi, for those who want to join, I am playing with a friend tonight online via the EA ROTWK servers. I will play with the build plot maps. So far I have 2, maybe 3 players. If anyone wants to join try to post here before 7:00 pm (eastern time). I will play around 7:15, but if u want to play, just let me know, so that i can wait, or even postpone the time or something. Right now I have eaves of fangorn and mirkwood converted from bfme1. If there is a lot of people who want to join, i can maybe upconvert a 5 or 6 player map. Hoping to convert dead marshes soon. Let me know as soon as possible, so that i can know which map to upconvert.
Posted Image

#10 Shikari

Shikari

Allons-y!

• Project Team
  • 1,327 posts
  •  2D Art

Posted 25 January 2008 - 04:40 PM

I am interested in playing, hopefully the times will work out so I can play tonight. Will PM you my email address.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 C-rex719

C-rex719
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 05:35 PM

I am anxiously waiting to get a good game together...

#12 lotrfan

lotrfan

title available

• Project Team
  • 318 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 11:58 PM

K, good, just the right number 4. We will play mirkwood. Be on at 7:30. It will have RJ in the game name.
Posted Image

#13 lotrfan

lotrfan

title available

• Project Team
  • 318 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 12:25 AM

K, krex is here, will wait till about 7:40 before starting.
Posted Image

#14 lotrfan

lotrfan

title available

• Project Team
  • 318 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 12:44 AM

So far Shikari didn't come. If anyone else wants to come, post it a.s.a.p.

We have 3 and need 4.

Will be watching the posts.
We'll start in like 5 min.
Posted Image

#15 lotrfan

lotrfan

title available

• Project Team
  • 318 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 02:11 AM

K, was nice, but way too many bugs. Population limit is a bit too high, and hero-hordes are harder to take down than heroes. Am getting another build plot match now.

With 3 people.

Edited by lotrfan, 26 January 2008 - 02:17 AM.

Posted Image

#16 Devon

Devon

Dark Nerd of the Sith

• Global Moderators
  • 5,886 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Donated

Posted 26 January 2008 - 02:19 AM

Yeah, hero hordes are waaay op.

yodasig2.png
My political compass

#17 C-rex719

C-rex719
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 04:31 AM

Noo i scroolled too fast and it crashed... gotaa lower my specs and ill play tommorrow

#18 lotrfan

lotrfan

title available

• Project Team
  • 318 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 05:23 AM

K, not sure what i'm doing tommorw. We won by the way. It was a nice game. Although it did get laggy. Unit population needs to be reduced. Some other problems.
Posted Image

#19 Shikari

Shikari

Allons-y!

• Project Team
  • 1,327 posts
  •  2D Art

Posted 26 January 2008 - 08:37 AM

Sorry guys, I guess you played too late at night for me (my time) was online untill 11.30 last night, and I didn't hear from anyone, so I'm afraid I had to go.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#20 lotrfan

lotrfan

title available

• Project Team
  • 318 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 08:34 PM

Will probably play again tonight around 6:30. Same as yesterday. If anyone wants to come put ur name.
We had 4 people yesterday. We played mirkwood. It was nice, except for the bugs.

I will make a list of the most important problems for build plot maps that need fixing a.s.a.p. A good portion of them are balance issues, but there are some other problems too.

I assume crex will be there.

I will try to have more maps ready.

Right now we played mirkwood and eaves of fangorn. I might try to convert some of the bfme 2 maps.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users