thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts
  • Projects:DoW AI Scripting Project
  • Division:DoW
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 09 March 2008 - 02:40 AM

Yep its Hardcoded.. not that its really matters.. you let OUR Advanced AI get to the Saint Tier4 level and yer pretty much poo. :wink_new:
Advanced Skirmish AI Team Lead for the coolest Warhammer40k PC RTS out there:

Dawn of War Advanced AI Headquarters

Latest DoW Advanced AI Download!

#42 Zenoth

Zenoth

title available

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 04:13 AM

Yep its Hardcoded.. not that its really matters.. you let OUR Advanced AI get to the Saint Tier4 level and yer pretty much poo. :lol:

That's predictable, what else can we expect from this mod's A.I. :wink_new:

Although... let ME go Tier 4 with the Eldar and that Saint is poo :grin:

#43 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 04:17 AM

I'm almost ready to send the AI to the next stage of dev.. Very close.. been working/playtesting/tweaking.. recording my changelog for Arkhan/Larkin.. some unbelievable battles.. the Advanced AI seems alot more.. aggressive in SS.. dunno why.. vicious.. Ork AI is especially unforgiving.. can't put my hand on why.. things seem more brutal. :wink_new:

#44 Zenoth

Zenoth

title available

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 04:38 AM

I'm almost ready to send the AI to the next stage of dev.. Very close.. been working/playtesting/tweaking.. recording my changelog for Arkhan/Larkin.. some unbelievable battles.. the Advanced AI seems alot more.. aggressive in SS.. dunno why.. vicious.. Ork AI is especially unforgiving.. can't put my hand on why.. things seem more brutal. :grin:

Stop the teasing, you wouldn't want Gray Knights after you :wink_new:

#45 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 04:48 AM

SHining Knights after little olde me? Any time sweet pie... :wink_new:

#46 jureidinim

jureidinim
  • Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 06:22 AM

After a few more games, and watching some online players replays, sadly.. it seems the Sisters of Battle's best start so far (in 1 V 1 anyways) is just spam infantry and upgrade to melta weapons. A full infantry Cap with melta just burns through everything. At most, I've seen one or two immolator tanks built by the players in these games to give some support.
Hoping to find a replay with some bigger battles - maybe will see more vehicles/higher tier units come out.

#47 Psychobabas

Psychobabas
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 10:59 AM

After a few more games, and watching some online players replays, sadly.. it seems the Sisters of Battle's best start so far (in 1 V 1 anyways) is just spam infantry and upgrade to melta weapons. A full infantry Cap with melta just burns through everything. At most, I've seen one or two immolator tanks built by the players in these games to give some support.
Hoping to find a replay with some bigger battles - maybe will see more vehicles/higher tier units come out.

I agree. Vehicles are just the icing on the cake for the Sisters. Their infantry just decimates everything.

#48 Smokeskin

Smokeskin
  • Members
  • 127 posts
  • Projects:Soulstorm Advanced AI betatester

Posted 12 March 2008 - 08:55 AM

Are you saying the the sisters are overpowered, or that the racial design doesn't favor lots of vehicles?

#49 jureidinim

jureidinim
  • Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 11:24 AM

Are you saying the the sisters are overpowered, or that the racial design doesn't favor lots of vehicles?

Not sure of overpowered - i've seen some replays where they get beaten.. but since they are so effective with those infantry upgrades, they seem.. well.. boring. Same builds every time.. same upgrades.. and a lot of the other units just not built by the players because those upgraded mass infantry is too effective.

It's still early days though and like all the previous expansions and even the original DoW, players will start experimenting with other things and so we may see different strats emerging.

#50 Zenoth

Zenoth

title available

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 12:03 PM

Not sure of overpowered - i've seen some replays where they get beaten.. but since they are so effective with those infantry upgrades, they seem.. well.. boring. Same builds every time.. same upgrades.. and a lot of the other units just not built by the players because those upgraded mass infantry is too effective.

It's still early days though and like all the previous expansions and even the original DoW, players will start experimenting with other things and so we may see different strats emerging.

Ah the memories... you guys surely remember the days when Fire Warriors and Krootox ruled everything on their path, until patch 1.2 arrived that is, it looks like history repeats itself indeed (and oh my God not having a cap limit for the Krootox screamed for everyone to play as Tau and just kill everything... you had to put every single units you had against four or five of those, and that's without any infantry support).

#51 Smokeskin

Smokeskin
  • Members
  • 127 posts
  • Projects:Soulstorm Advanced AI betatester

Posted 12 March 2008 - 12:26 PM

Yeah. I don't really see sisters being anymore infantryheavy than many of the other races. Very it often the game is settled with infantry only, or 1 or 2 vehicles max. If you see more, mostly it's just because wrapping the match up takes time.

That's just how the game works, if you pressure hard neither have many resources, so you're forced to go hard infantry. You need to fight yourself to the advantage needed to get a vehicle out, and once you do, that often settles the game.

#52 Semiphar

Semiphar
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 03:22 PM

Sisters with meltaguns owning everything...? What? The only infantry with meltaguns are the Celestian squad and those meltaguns aren't effective against infantry. They're semi-good in melee, but they can't beat real melee squads.

#53 jureidinim

jureidinim
  • Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 08:26 PM

Sisters with meltaguns owning everything...? What? The only infantry with meltaguns are the Celestian squad and those meltaguns aren't effective against infantry. They're semi-good in melee, but they can't beat real melee squads.

The point being that most games with them are 98% infantry and the same one or two vehicles. They even have a "dreadnought" vehicle ( sorry - i forgot the actual name) which I have yet to see make any appearance on the field.

Again - I don't think they are overpowered or owning everything, but its just that playing an all infantry (upgraded) with one vehicle seems to be the best - or at least most favorite - tactic at this time.

This has happened before with other races (as pointed out above with Krootox), and usually -->
1) If its a game balance issue, a patch eventually balances things to make other options more viable
2) If it's not a balance issue, opposing players figure out how to beat this build order, forcing players (SoB players in this case) to start exploring the other (neglected) options they have.

Until one of the above happens, the SoB playstyle just seems way too linear.

#54 Semiphar

Semiphar
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 08:03 PM

Err, well, if it's any consolation, the steroid-pumped dreadnaught they call the Penitent Engine is pretty insane. I saw it take down half a squad of Space Marines in mere seconds just using the flamers.
Also, I've been able to settle a lot of fights without ever using a single vehicle playing as both the Imperial Guard and Chaos. It's not very uncommon.

#55 jureidinim

jureidinim
  • Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 12:32 AM

As a SM player, that's not good news.. lol

I guess its just playstyle then. Hopefully will see more SoB players mix it up a bit.

Watched a 3 V 3 replay at gamereplay.org - IG/IG/Chaos vs. SoB/Necron/DE. Pretty awesome match. Sadly... again.. the SoB player had a total of two vehicles and just kept upgrading spamming infantry. The Necron and IG players were impressive to watch. Necron player got out 2 or 3 restored monoliths, and a deceiver (too little too late). IG threw everything AND the kitchen sink.. lol... walkers, tanks, Baneblade rolling across the landscape :-)

#56 Zenoth

Zenoth

title available

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 12:53 AM

I guess its just playstyle then. Hopefully will see more SoB players mix it up a bit.

Watched a 3 V 3 replay at gamereplay.org - IG/IG/Chaos vs. SoB/Necron/DE. Pretty awesome match. Sadly... again.. the SoB player had a total of two vehicles and just kept upgrading spamming infantry. The Necron and IG players were impressive to watch. Necron player got out 2 or 3 restored monoliths, and a deceiver (too little too late). IG threw everything AND the kitchen sink.. lol... walkers, tanks, Baneblade rolling across the landscape :-)

Can you link me to that replay please? It'd give me a reason to fire up Soulstorm.

EDIT: I think I found it, it's that one? http://www.gamerepla...a...ls&id=29164

Edited by Zenoth, 14 March 2008 - 12:56 AM.

#57 jureidinim

jureidinim
  • Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 01:24 AM

Can you link me to that replay please? It'd give me a reason to fire up Soulstorm.

EDIT: I think I found it, it's that one? http://www.gamerepla...a...ls&id=29164

yep.. that's the one.... the others are pretty good too.

#58 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 02:33 AM

Take the same YouTube video using our Advanced AI when it comes out for the incredibly massive WIN. :grin:

#59 JH24

JH24
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 02:02 PM

I'm really looking forward to the new Adanced AI for Soulstorm. I recently got the game and although I'm enjoying it the vanilla AI is not terribly good, and I'm a bad player with this game. I hadn't played Dawn of War for months. In my skirmish games (Hard, normal settings) the vanilla AI keeps up the pressure reasonably well with vehicles and masses of infantry as well as relic units. (Although relic units don't happen often)

The pressure is nothing compared to what I felt when I played the Advanced AI mod for Dark Crusade, I can especially remember the Necron Advanced AI very well. I also miss the option to delay attacks of the AI. That was a ver ynice option if I wanted to experiment with the units a bit and I can't believe they haven't added this option for the vanilla AI.

I really like the new sides, especially the buildings of the Sisters of Battle and the units of the Dark Eldar.

If I can find my DC disk, I might install the game again and the latest AI mod, I'll need a lot of practice to even stand a chance for Soulstorm.

Awesome work!

Edited by JH24, 24 March 2008 - 02:07 PM.

#60 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 02:34 PM

Our team aims to please so with the help of our beta team we will achieve a higher standard in SS. :p

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users