#21 Psychobabas

Psychobabas
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 05:29 PM

Just got my copy of SS!

OMG plz plz plz release your AI ASAP!!!

The Relic one is RUBBISH!

Also a quick question: Will we still be able to use the .lua file and have an all AI battle just as in Dark Crusade?

Thanks!

Edited by Psychobabas, 07 March 2008 - 05:30 PM.

#22 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts
  • Projects:DoW AI Scripting Project
  • Division:DoW
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 07 March 2008 - 05:35 PM

Also a quick question: Will we still be able to use the .lua file and have an all AI battle just as in Dark Crusade?

x 50 :ph34r: Tested and works 100%. I would have doubted that would have ever changed.
Advanced Skirmish AI Team Lead for the coolest Warhammer40k PC RTS out there:

Dawn of War Advanced AI Headquarters

Latest DoW Advanced AI Download!

#23 Psychobabas

Psychobabas
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 05:51 PM

Why oh why does the game require you to put the DVD in everytime you want to play?!?!?!

So annoying...

#24 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 05:55 PM

Relic/THQ has slow sales and like the CoH: Opposing Forces expansion they re-instated the DVD protection. I however can't have the DVD in my drive all the time so I acquired my own "remedy" thus speeding up the startup. Hey, I'M A MODDER so I cannot ever have anything slow me down when I need to troubleshoot an issue.

#25 jureidinim

jureidinim
  • Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 10:15 PM

Are we there yet? Are we? there yet? are we?

please stop the brain-deadness of the AI... please!! stop!! must!! think!!

lol!!

Can you tell i'm sorta eager for the AI mod?

oh well.. while i wait, i'll try and get through the campaign - might as well.. when this mod is released, if it affects campaign play, i may never win.. :)

#26 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 10:22 PM

@jureidinim - yer a good candidate for a beta tester IF you are willing to put the time in like Zenoth has. :)

#27 Zenoth

Zenoth

title available

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 10:52 PM

Working today was a pain knowing that I could have spent all that time suffering with the vanilla A.I :D

Seriously though, I've played just a single skirmish a few moments ago, and I can already confirm that the vanilla A.I, at least up to the Hard difficulty setting has a major issue with vehicles production. As I mentioned, I played on Hard, on an official map, a 2 Vs 2 match, I played as the Dark Eldar, allied with another DE by my side (I wanted to see what were the build orders, it's a good way to test if they build everything properly), and farther away were my enemies, one Chaos Space Marine faction and one Orks.

The only one of them who managed to build a single vehicle after exactly 36 minutes of play was the Chaos Space Marine, who sent that single Defiler at my ally. The map was filled with infantry and nothing else, and that's without mentioning the utterly confused defensive and maneuvering tactics. I just can't believe my eyes. Seriously this vanilla A.I is actually worst than any other vanillas I've seen (default A.I in the original DoW was, as I can remember it quite better), especially WA's default which back then really surprised me (although it was still "poor", of course, when compared to this mod).

I won't bother even playing the campaign with such A.I (although I did start it with the Craftworld Eldar, but I'll stop where I currently am, it's very disappointing, I destroyed two... TWO Necron bases in the first match within 15 minutes), it's blasphemy! :) I think that the A.I coders (or perhaps testers) at THQ/Relic/Iron Lore (although IL is now closed, dammit) should meet the Inquisitiors for a brief moment. This A.I is heresy! ;)

Edited by Zenoth, 07 March 2008 - 10:55 PM.

#28 Psychobabas

Psychobabas
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 12:20 AM

Tell me about it Zenoth.

I'm not bothering with the campaign at all, just playing skirmishes and keep pwning comps on hard left and right. I dont even have to go to t2 with any race!

As a sidenote:

Dark Eldar are horrendous in my opinion. This expansion is all about the Sisters.

#29 jureidinim

jureidinim
  • Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 12:49 AM

Tell me about it Zenoth.

I'm not bothering with the campaign at all, just playing skirmishes and keep pwning comps on hard left and right. I dont even have to go to t2 with any race!

As a sidenote:

Dark Eldar are horrendous in my opinion. This expansion is all about the Sisters.

Yes.. AI overall bad - but the Sisters have the "best" AI running it seems.

Finished a 8 player skirmish - 4 teams. Saw vehicles built for the first time - Chaos marines threw a few defilers at me and two aircraft - then they died to the Tau next to them.. lol
My Ork ally spammed infantry units.. had them wander around strat points - then some light bulb went off late game and he spammed wartrukks
So even when they do "click" and go vehicles, they seem to stay with one type only.

Anyways - as the mod will be released soon, all this venting must stop.. heh heh. I really do not think Relic/IL did any AI work except add the new units/races.

@Thudo - I would love to help as a tester. In the past mods i have seen Zenoth's high quality of testing... so its a lofty goal to achieve :)
The only race i know well is the Space Marines. I have played others but always come back to them. However, now is as good a time as any to learn the other races intricately. So if you need help testing - sign me up.

I'm away on a training course next week (leave this Sunday - return following Saturday). I'll see if I can get a machine to have available for testing during that time.

#30 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 03:56 AM

I find it quite ironic that in the beginning with the SS demo the DE were looking fantastic.. now everyone likes the Sisters? Gawd.. the Sister's textures alone don't hold a candle to the WH_AS mod teams let alone the choice of units. SS' Sisters have like half the seriously cool units the WH_AS mod has but KRMZ has been uncharacteristically quiet for 2+ months about releasing the mod. Not sure what gives.. maybe waiting on SS to finally get out to everyone.

#31 Inquisitor

Inquisitor
  • Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 09:37 AM

Hi thudo, Arkhan, Larkin and all!

Great that you're still around... :)

If you need help testing the SS AI, I have some time. I can test both sp and mp, since I have a lot of friends that play regularly and they just got SS.

Just let me know!

Inquisitor
The Emperor knows, the Emperor is watching.
Want to zoom out further? Try this camera mod.

#32 LarkinVB

LarkinVB

title available

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 10:47 AM

Added fullres_teamcolour=1 and antialias in local.ini and sister look a bit better now. Nevertheless I find sob and de look out of place, like being made by a different team :) .

#33 Inquisitor

Inquisitor
  • Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 11:07 AM

Added fullres_teamcolour=1 and antialias in local.ini and sister look a bit better now. Nevertheless I find sob and de look out of place, like being made by a different team :) .

Yeah, you're right, but I still think that both new races look good (Penitent Engine FTW!). I'm having serious problems liking the air unit models and visuals though.

I can recommend forcing Anisotropic filtering to at least 8 and antialias to at least 4 in Display Settings, if you want it to look its best (I also set Antialising - Transparency to Supersampling and Texture filtering - Negative LOD bias to Clamp). I would also recommend running it with -forcehighpoly, it makes the models look much better from afar. It's almost a must-do if you're using a camera mod!
The Emperor knows, the Emperor is watching.
Want to zoom out further? Try this camera mod.

#34 Zenoth

Zenoth

title available

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 12:19 PM

I'm not sure about others, but so far from what I've played Soulstorm seems to run slower than DC or any previous installments. It looks like some of the particle effects were kind of "compressed", I'm not sure how to describe it (I'm referring to a difference visual effect here). For example, the smoke/dust trails left behind some units (most infantry when they run, some vehicles, but mostly and especially any jet-acks infantry like the Chaos Raptors) are visually more compact... I mean the trail itself is about as long as it was in DC, but the actual amount of smoke sprites that compose the trail definitely look higher, and additionally some other effects I believe received some sort of a face lift. I'm not sure if it was needed though.

But, overall, I just feel like SS is a little slower. It's nothing dramatic but it's definitely not negligible. And my system's isn't weak: C2D E8400 @ 3.7Ghz, 4GB RAM @ 998Mhz, GA-X38-DQ6, Creative SB X-Fi XTremeMusic and finally an 8800GTS 640MB @ GTX speeds. So it's not my system. I know DC runs very smooth, it's the same engine, same game-play resolution, same in-game settings too... it's just... I don't know, it's slower I'd say, at least so far. Maybe I've done something wrong, I'm not sure.

#35 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 04:05 PM

What? SS runs just fine and its utterly max'ed on my end. And this is also with the latest SS Advanced AI I am sending to Larkin/Arkhan momentarily! :wink_new:

My system: C2D E6700 @ 3.66Ghz, 2gb RAM PC2-8500, 2xRaptors, 8800GTX (overclocked @ 650/1050) - I run the game @ 1600x1200@MaxDetail with 4xAF, 4xAA + fullteam_colour on. SS runs as did DC.. no diff. Its sickly fast and thats even at simrate(35) which is stupidly fast! Har har..

#36 Haree

Haree
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 06:40 PM

Played 1 game today of the SS campaign and I've been spoiled by your mod.
Eagerly awaiting your release because this game is nothing to me without your improvements, you should get commission for game sales :wink_new:

#37 Zenoth

Zenoth

title available

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 11:46 PM

What? SS runs just fine and its utterly max'ed on my end. And this is also with the latest SS Advanced AI I am sending to Larkin/Arkhan momentarily! :grin:

My system: C2D E6700 @ 3.66Ghz, 2gb RAM PC2-8500, 2xRaptors, 8800GTX (overclocked @ 650/1050) - I run the game @ 1600x1200@MaxDetail with 4xAF, 4xAA + fullteam_colour on. SS runs as did DC.. no diff. Its sickly fast and thats even at simrate(35) which is stupidly fast! Har har..

Well then I'll need the Advanced A.I too to make a proper comparison :wink_new:

#38 Zenoth

Zenoth

title available

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 01:44 AM

I just noticed a specific line in that thread: http://forums.relicn...ad.php?t=184081

Quoting:

AI:
-The Living Saint wastes her fire skill at airplanes when it doesn't damage airplanes at all.
-Airplanes do not seem to attack targets right under them.

I guess that those reported bugs are part of history with the current A.I mod status?

#39 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 01:47 AM

Errr.. but thats not OUR AI.. Further, remember: DoW AI scripts do not allow us to focus-fire on targets, regrettably. So we can't tell an Eldar FireDragon squad to ONLY assault enemy vehicles BUT stay far away from everything else.

#40 Zenoth

Zenoth

title available

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 02:36 AM

Errr.. but thats not OUR AI.. Further, remember: DoW AI scripts do not allow us to focus-fire on targets, regrettably. So we can't tell an Eldar FireDragon squad to ONLY assault enemy vehicles BUT stay far away from everything else.

I know thudo, but I was just wondering if those two bugs made it to the mod and were perhaps later fixed. :wink_new:

I mean your A.I is from them, you guys didn't built every single lines of code from scrap for the Sisters of Battle, unless I'm wrong in which case I'd immediately apologize. It's "their" A.I's bug, but if it was in their code, then it might have made it to yours, and that's all I was wondering about :grin:

Edited by Zenoth, 09 March 2008 - 02:39 AM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users