6 replies to this topic

#1 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Network Leader

Posted 16 June 2008 - 06:18 PM

At school we're developing a game about a frog. As a result, our player is very small, which gives some issues.

The most important one is that when walking on terrain, he sinks halfway through it. However, we could not find a solution and I don't think any of you know it out of the top of your head.

Anyway, one thing you may know is how to change the camera cutoff. This is the mininum distance things have to be from the camera, to be drawn. Because our player is small, the camera is near, and if you stand next to a wall or something the near part is often invisible. Do you know where to change this value?

Wikipedia about the cutoff (there the "near plane"): http://en.wikipedia....ing#Mathematics

bartvh | Join me, make your signature small!
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#2 ambershee

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks

• Hosted
  • 3,114 posts
  • Projects:Mutator Week & Unreal 3 Projects
  •  Mad Mod Boffin

Posted 17 June 2008 - 03:27 PM

I'm not sure where the near and far planes would be defined in UT - but the best bet is to just search the files in the source directory for relevant sounding terms.

I'm not sure making the player particularly small is a good idea though - collision detection and other physical factors may easily become a big issue with objects that are too small. It would probably have been better to scale the environments and other objects up.

#3 Darknet

Darknet
  • Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 04:08 PM

Don't create a small player it will effect your physical factors. If your using the draw scale in unrealscript it will effect that too. It will create a weird effect. Scale your skeleton mesh to the right ratio. Plus it will detect collision that will effect your mesh too by their default skeleton mesh once you import it.
JP - Darknet

#4 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 04:41 PM

Well, it was one way or the other. We couldn't scale the world up because the editor complained when making terrain (that it was too big). We do have some issues now, many with collision, but it isn't as bad as the player colliding as if he were big.

Anyway, it's too late now. Next time we'll choose a solution in the middle.
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#5 ambershee

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks

• Hosted
  • 3,114 posts
  • Projects:Mutator Week & Unreal 3 Projects
  •  Mad Mod Boffin

Posted 18 June 2008 - 05:26 PM

Too big!? Good god man, you can make (to UT scale), maps that are over 30km across!!

#6 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 08:34 AM

well, our map would be about 128000 unreal units (which is about 20 km in the unreal scale) if we didn't scale the player. unrealed gave an error when trying to make a terrain this big

#7 Myles Lambert

Myles Lambert
  • Members
  • 10 posts
  •  Level Designer

Posted 18 October 2008 - 12:32 PM

Simply use a few different terrains attached to each other?
I cant see why you would need one map to big this big any how, even if the map is meant to be in a big scale.
Portfolio

Error: The operation completed successfully.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users