why do we think death is bad?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 Rawlo

Rawlo

Word Smith

• Project Team
  • 1,616 posts
  •  as it turns out, was never actually a convict, go figure.

Posted 04 September 2008 - 01:06 PM

seriously I find it kinda strange, now admittedly my mind tends to work a bit differently then some people I talk to, maybe because I'm nuts, or maybe I'm simply more organized then they are, who knows, but my point is, why do people think death is such a horrible thing?

let me fill this out a bit, now my view on death and it's flipside, life, is this. cooinsidence has given you a reletively tiny ammount of time to leave an effect on the universe, and then when your times up, you end, the only thing you can really do about it is make sure that your leaving the legasy you want people to remember you by. Now the start of your existance is pure chance, and sure it's great that we turn up, but then you die and it's all over as far as your concerned. Now it's a perfectly natural part of life, and it happens to everyone, so why does it bother people so much? are you scared of not existing or something? I mean seriously it's not like your going to care when it happens...
The Least I Could Do - We all wished we were like this at one point
Ctrl+Alt+Del - A webcomic for the gamer in all of us
A final good night Burnie, sleep well mate, rest in peace
Goodbye Tig, you are sorely missed.
Goodbye to you aswell till, you'll also be missed

Xeno, RIP mate
"I'm going to go on the record and say that any substance abuse problem which creates women like that is ok by me"

#2 OmegaBolt

OmegaBolt

Lost In The New Real

• Hosted
  • 6,273 posts
  • Projects:Red-Resurrection
  •  O'Bolt

Posted 04 September 2008 - 01:10 PM

I simply agree.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#3 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts
  • Projects:Workin'...
  •  ...like a workin' man do.
  • Division:Role-Playing Games
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 04 September 2008 - 04:38 PM

I think the problem is that we have no idea what, if anything, comes after. The concept of simply ceasing to exist is alien to the human mind, so it pulls out the standard reaction to something it doesn't understand: fear. Besides, a lot of people don't fear death. There is a point in many people's lives where they come to accept that their time will come, and simply get on with it, knowing there is nothing they can do. I think, as well, that some element of the childish feeling of 'immortality' survives into adulthood. This would undoubtedly cause a fair amount of fear upon the realisation that a subconscious belief you have held for some years is completely incorrect.

On the other hand, there's no logical reason to be scared of death. Therefore I think we can safely conclude it is a purely emotionally-generated fear. Not the point, I know, but it's a point.
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#4 Puppeteer

Puppeteer

title available

• Global Moderators
  • 2,947 posts
  •  Faute de Mieux
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Magazine Staff/Global Moderator

Posted 04 September 2008 - 05:20 PM

Perhaps it's an irrational fear that because it has taken some of the most dearest loved ones from us, we associate it with evil.

#5 Romanul

Romanul

title available

• Hosted
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 05:48 PM

To be honest,I am scared of not existing,mostly because,I simply had an pretty bad life.

I mean,I've allways been an negativist(And I'm still,but I rather prefer to think realistical,and reality hurts),and I simply want to have somebody to spend out my life.

I mean,why are we here?Its useless to take in consideration our death,when we don't even know why do we live.

#6 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Leader

Posted 04 September 2008 - 06:00 PM

We think death is bad because we enjoy life.

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#7 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 04 September 2008 - 06:00 PM

I don't think it's the being dead that bothers people. I think it's the getting dead that bothers everyone.

NZ.org | BBPCG
Discord: The Astronomer#1314
Steam

#8 Romanul

Romanul

title available

• Hosted
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 06:06 PM

So what?We are all fat,lazy and we love it.Whats the problem here?

I don't think it's the being dead that bothers people. I think it's the getting dead that bothers everyone.

Both hurt,actually.People get nostalgic when they see you dead.

#9 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 06:10 PM

So what?We are all fat,lazy and we love it.Whats the problem here?

Both hurt,actually.People get nostalgic when they see you dead.

I don't know about you, but I don't think death is the answer for obesity and lazyness... if that is what you were implying?

#10 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 10:59 PM

I don't know, I reckon it's a pretty good solution. :p Fat, lazy bastard dies, decays, goes back to skeletal frame. Everyone's a winner. :p
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#11 Hostile

Hostile

Benefitting Humanity Simply by Showing Up!

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Job:Global Administrator
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 05 September 2008 - 12:09 AM

This whole right to life and such were decided on in a very biased way. It was written by well... people who are alive. Living things tend to strongly promote the idea of continuing to live.

What does JF Kenedy, Johnny Cash, and Jim Morrison have to say on the subject? Nothing because they're dead. As will we all be one day.

#12 CIL

CIL

Ex-troll

• Members
  • 1,330 posts
  • Projects:Lurking
  •  I'm a physician now. Scary, right?

Posted 05 September 2008 - 03:42 AM

Well, for one, we don't know what happens afterwords. I, for one, believe that religion was invented to come to this conclusion, but I'll find out eventually. We all will. Because death is inevitable.
I'm creeping, not gone.

#13 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 03:45 PM

Religion was most likely invented to answer a whole load of questions that science couldn't answer at the time, like what happens when you die, where do babies come from, why does the sun go across the sky, why are you hitting me on the head with that club, that sort of thing.

I don't think you will find out eventually. I think as soon as you're in a position to find out, i.e. dead, your existence will terminate and your consciousness will cease to exist. You will be nothing. As will we all.

#14 Spectre

Spectre

Rampant AI

• Hosted
  • 1,240 posts
  • Projects:Worldbuilding
  •  The Undead

Posted 06 September 2008 - 01:35 AM

The reason I think everyone fears death is because you will lose, and forget, all you ever loved or cherished.

And I know for a fact that most people find it hard to let go, right before death is probably the hardest for people, but Death sounds like a luxury to me, in a way that you will not even know it.

Also, just a question, I always ask myself "I was born in the 1990's, but all before that, just seemed A flash of darkness, like I took a short cut through time.", anyone probably know why?

Edited by General Jenkins, 06 September 2008 - 01:36 AM.

#15 Devon

Devon

Dark Nerd of the Sith

• Global Moderators
  • 5,886 posts
  • Projects:RJ RotWK, Twilight of the Republic, HDLH
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Job:Global Moderator
  • Donated

Posted 06 September 2008 - 03:39 AM

Hardcoded instincts.

Species that don't fear death don't live long...the one's that are left today are the ones that fear death most, and do their best to avoid it.

And being nothing scares people, because to the core of yourself, you are something. We have no way of understanding what it would be like to simply not exist anymore, and it scares us.

Edited by Yoda_, 06 September 2008 - 03:39 AM.

yodasig2.png
My political compass
There's a story that the grass is so green...what did I see? Where have I been?

#16 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 01:20 PM

Indeed.

I'm not afraid of death because I don't know what'll be next (though I believe there'll be nothing), I'm just not really fond of the idea of being dead because that means my life is over. Life is over, life is over. I like life because there's a lot to do, you know? When you're dead you can't do anything. That's why the idea of death puts me off.

#17 OmegaBolt

OmegaBolt

Lost In The New Real

• Hosted
  • 6,273 posts
  • Projects:Red-Resurrection
  •  O'Bolt

Posted 06 September 2008 - 03:55 PM

Uhh but when your dead your not gunna think "im bored, why cant I be alive again". Its peaceful end to everything.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#18 Devon

Devon

Dark Nerd of the Sith

• Global Moderators
  • 5,886 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Donated

Posted 06 September 2008 - 04:56 PM

So kill yourself. It's probably more peaceful than your current life...why not?

People want to live. It's in our genes...just as we want to eat, and drink, and sleep.

yodasig2.png
My political compass

#19 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 11:43 PM

We don't want to kill ourselves bBecause we're not peaceful people, are we? The truly peaceful amongst us, like certain sects of Buddhists, openly welcome death as the next stage of life. So for those who genuinely wish to be peaceful, death holds no fear.

#20 Devon

Devon

Dark Nerd of the Sith

• Global Moderators
  • 5,886 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Donated

Posted 07 September 2008 - 02:55 AM

In my opinion, if you say you don't fear death, you're either lying, self delusional, or insane.

You can't just go decide to stop living unless you've been seriously messed up. You just...can't. At the most basic level, the only thing we desire is to live and reproduce. Dying takes away both of those :mellow:

yodasig2.png
My political compass

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users