Photo

Emperor...

37 replies to this topic

#21 X4ldin

X4ldin
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 10:33 AM

There is quite abit about Thrawn before the Thrawn Trilogy set during 0ABY to 4ABY, his promotion from Vice Admiral after defeating Zaarin etc. he has enough history, ships under his command and battles to be included IMO.

Yeah...but if PR wants to get rid of all the generic minor heroes and go for named ones...he'll need stats and backstory on quite a few people.
:shiftee:

True enough, I'm just voicing my opinion of how Thrawn should stay in the game and how he has history beyond the Thrawn trilogy of novels that takes place during PR's timeline.

Also, I'm not sure if you could class his command aboard the Springhawk as relevant as it was before the Empire even began and (to my knowledge) we know next to nothing about Chiss ships or tactics. That said, how he suss'ed out that trade fed droid fighters use a certain code to attack was brilliant and should be taken into account if PR does a ranking system.

Incase anyone was wondering, yes I am a BIG Thrawn fan. :p

#22 Pellean

Pellean
  • Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 03:02 AM

I don't blame you; he's probably the coolest character in the EU.
Don't think, Fingan, you aren't properly equipped for it.

#23 anakinskysolo

anakinskysolo

Phoenix Rising Fan

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 10:11 PM

I really think it is a shame that he was killed. I believe that he was not a bad person.

#24 X4ldin

X4ldin
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 11:13 PM

I really think it is a shame that he was killed. I believe that he was not a bad person.

From how I understand it, he didn't really serve the Empire, he just tried to unite the galaxy to fight off the Vong after Palpy offered him the chance. He respected those under his command, and respected his enemy, it's hard to find another officer like that who isn't a 'we always win' rebel lol.

It's a shame they killed him off, I would have also have liked a trilogy of his clone like Zahn proposed but he got killed off too :(

#25 feld

feld

title available

• Project Team
  • 400 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 12:21 AM

Agreed...of all the characters except Ackbar, Thrawn is probably my favorite. In many ways he's an ideal naval officer: cares about the mission and his people, brilliant, observant, etc. I kinda struggle with his service to the Empire though...it just doesn't seem to jive with his other characteristics.

#26 coinich

coinich

title available

• Members
  • 293 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 12:24 AM

I've never read the books, but it seemed to me from brief scans at wookie that his service may have stemmed from a need to have order to face unknown threats, and/or the Vong. Maybe he felt the Empire would be more of a match.

Edited by coinich, 23 January 2009 - 12:24 AM.

#27 Tropical Bob

Tropical Bob

title available

• Members
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 12:40 AM

I do believe that was his main reason for joining the Empire. It was more militarily-minded, and more capable of dealing with a threat like the Vong.

#28 X4ldin

X4ldin
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 12:42 AM

I've never read the books, but it seemed to me from brief scans at wookie that his service may have stemmed from a need to have order to face unknown threats, and/or the Vong. Maybe he felt the Empire would be more of a match.

I'm sure it was mentioned somewhere that Palpatine convinced him to join mainly so he could prepare the galaxy to fight the vong and pacify the unknown regions, he already knew about them as the Chiss fought a vong scout fleet. It would make sense, as the Empire was the strongest force in the galaxy with the most amount of resources and firepower. Had the Rebellion not happened, the vong would have had more problems, with things like the Death Star and a fleet of 25,000-strong ISDs ready and waiting.

True I doubt he didn't agreed with their policies or actions, but i'm sure he would realize the importance of defending against the upcoming invasion, over lesser things.

#29 Guest_StarWars_*

Guest_StarWars_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2009 - 12:54 AM

Yep, he did it since of the Vong. !spoiler! In fact, that was the main reason why he destroyed Outbound Flight, since he was afraid that Jorus C'baoth would confront them Thrawn vs. the Vong would of been a very interesting battle indeed, probably would of saved trillions of lives.

#30 anakinskysolo

anakinskysolo

Phoenix Rising Fan

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 01:11 AM

Yep, he did it since of the Vong. !spoiler! In fact, that was the main reason why he destroyed Outbound Flight, since he was afraid that Jorus C'baoth would confront them Thrawn vs. the Vong would of been a very interesting battle indeed, probably would of saved trillions of lives.

Unfortunately, its true.

#31 feld

feld

title available

• Project Team
  • 400 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 01:23 AM

Unfortunately, its true.

Agreed

#32 X4ldin

X4ldin
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 01:26 AM

Unfortunately, its true.

Agreed

Especially with Imperial backing, though a Thrawn/Ackbar combo would be pretty much unbeatable IMO

#33 Tropical Bob

Tropical Bob

title available

• Members
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 01:51 AM

Unfortunately, Ackbar would never have become an Admiral in the Empire.

Bwua'tu might have, however, if he showed enough promise for Palpatine to notice him as was with Thrawn. That combo probably would have been better than with Ackbar.

#34 X4ldin

X4ldin
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 02:08 AM

Unfortunately, Ackbar would never have become an Admiral in the Empire.

Bwua'tu might have, however, if he showed enough promise for Palpatine to notice him as was with Thrawn. That combo probably would have been better than with Ackbar.

I meant if Thrawn had allied the Imperial Remnant with the New Republic to fight against the Vong. That is assuming he wouldn't have retaken the galaxy which is unlikely given how he retook so much in so little time and with a handful of warships.

#35 Kaleb Graff

Kaleb Graff

title available

• Members
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 02:23 AM

Here's my idea for a fun infinity. What if the clone had lived and/or there was another clone, which makes a reappearance at a suitably dramatic moment in the NJO series. Say, the first battle of Coruscant.

#36 X4ldin

X4ldin
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 03:38 AM

Here's my idea for a fun infinity. What if the clone had lived and/or there was another clone, which makes a reappearance at a suitably dramatic moment in the NJO series. Say, the first battle of Coruscant.

That would be interesting, seeing how the clone would match up to the real thing. Though I reckon Thawn's clone would be leading the assault the moment they stepped foot into known regions, not waiting till they reach the core. Not as exciting mind but more his character I think.

As I said, it was a shame Zahn didn't go through with the clone idea, he was a popular character and I reckon it would have made a better story then half of what followed his death. True enough that the Imperials coming back thing got old, but it was the first time they actually had a chance of winning and didn't have a nutcase, self-obsessed leader who messed everything up... Damn you Noghri, damn you all....

#37 Pred the Penguin

Pred the Penguin

title available

• Members
  • 276 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 06:14 AM

Thrawn's death was a sad day for me. =/

He made Star Wars even more interesting. o_o

Posted Image
My Work:[1],[2]

#38 SpardaSon21

SpardaSon21

title available

• Members
  • 332 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 11:54 AM

Agreed. Thrawn was made of win. Why the hell did Rukh have to kill him? Yeah sure, Thrawn was enslaving his people, but it was done so artfully...

Thrawn never really served the Empire, he served the Chiss. Remember his line from Outbound Flight: "I will do whatever necessary to protect those who depend on me." So one could conclude he did some exile-worthy act to protect the Chiss, knowing he would be exiled, and accepting that. So he gets exiled, joins Empire, rises quickly due to sheer brilliance, tells the Emperor he was an idiot and manages to not only survive but get proven right, made a Grand Admiral and de facto Emperor of the Empire, and he does all of this, secure in the knowledge that if anyone tries to screw with the Chiss, a couple of Star Destroyers and their stormtrooper complements can be sent to deliver a message the Imperial way. With blaster and turbolaser fire.

Also, Thrawn + Ackbar = dead Vong. Thrawn's strategic brilliance with Ackbar's tactical mastery is an easy victory.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users