Spectre

Rampant AI

• Hosted
  • 1,240 posts
  • Projects:Worldbuilding
  •  The Undead

Posted 07 July 2009 - 06:28 PM

You could always consider Vegas. :p

Edited by Spectre, 07 July 2009 - 06:28 PM.

#62 Puppeteer

Puppeteer

title available

• Global Moderators
  • 2,947 posts
  •  Faute de Mieux
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Magazine Staff/Global Moderator

Posted 07 July 2009 - 09:32 PM

Registry office ftw!

#63 Rattuskid

Rattuskid

I used to be somebody noteworthy... I think

• Members
  • 1,064 posts
  • Projects:Osmium (mostly dead), Immunizer (crib death) and Spritezkrieg (also crib death)
  •  Rattus Norvegicus (bitch)

Posted 08 July 2009 - 06:55 AM

Well, I'd guess they have their own term which would roughly translate into English as 'marriage'. Go fuck yourself.

I never realized faith was tied to language, but the point is, people got married before the Christian faith, after it, and outside of it. It has no claim of sole-legitimacy over the concept, no claim to invention of it, or monopoly on it. I think the Christian faith, being in the minority of the marriage situation (most people who marry aren't Christians) should, if so hung up on the use of the damn word, find a new word. Why conform the rest of the world to your diction if you can just call it 'Jesusbonding' or somesuch.

Matias is right. Marriage may at one time have been solely religious, back when being born out of wedlock was akin to being a leper... but times have changed, and it's a state institution now.
Being a total douche.

#64 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts
  • Projects:Workin'...
  •  ...like a workin' man do.
  • Division:Role-Playing Games
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 08 July 2009 - 07:35 AM

Well, that's fair, I guess. It is more a matter of finance and convenience for a lot of people these days. Like, my neighbours were together for twenty-two years before they got married. Their life changed in no way. Although, yes, marriage was originally a solely Christian term. Language and faith are tied together very deeply, far more so than most people realise. There are hundreds of words in English which wouldn't exist if England were a Muslim nation, or still pagan, or anything but Christian. It's actually a pretty fascinating thing to study.
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#65 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Leader

Posted 09 July 2009 - 11:08 AM

The word maybe, but not the concept.

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#66 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  • Projects:Writing Words With Letters
  •  I Help
  • Job:Community Admin

Posted 10 July 2009 - 08:42 AM

That would bring awkward meanings to spoken conversations:
You're a merry guy Vortigern. Does that mean you like to marry people by means of Christian ceremonies?

#67 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 09:17 AM

No. I am a merry man because I figured out long ago that everyone will hate you if you're a sour angry bastard, and you gain nothing and make yourself feel like shit. And I don't really believe in marriage. I like the concept of finding someone to spend your life with and I can see why people would like to make their love official, but I don't see why you need a fancy white dress and months of stressful planning and a big excuse to make people give you stuff.
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#68 Allathar

Allathar

これを翻訳する

• Project Team
  • 2,752 posts
  • Projects:RJ-RotWK
  •  Greedy capitalist and cynical bastard.

Posted 11 July 2009 - 11:24 AM

I like the concept of finding someone to spend your life with and I can see why people would like to make their love official, but I don't see why you need a fancy white dress and months of stressful planning and a big excuse to make people give you stuff.

Ah, but that's because you're a guy. Only the opposite sex really knows why we do it.
It has been reported that some victims of rape, during the act, would retreat into a fantasy world from which they could not WAKE UP. In this catatonic state, the victim lived in a world just like their normal one, except they weren't being raped. The only way that they realized they needed to WAKE UP was a note they found in their fantasy world. It would tell them about their condition, and tell them to WAKE UP. Even then, it would often take months until they were ready to discard their fantasy world and PLEASE WAKE UP

#69 {IRS}Athos

{IRS}Athos

Non Sequitur

• Members
  • 4,008 posts
  • Projects:Ex-Advisor
  •  Resident Shakespearean.

Posted 11 July 2009 - 12:16 PM

Watch out, here comes BRIDEZILLA!

If I ever get married, I'm going to regret all the money that goes into that... :p
BulletsfromaGunbanner_zps974f3ea8.png

Careful. This link is DANGEROUS. Do NOT click it. This one, however, is fine.

I had the meaning of life in my signature, but it exceeded the character limit.

#70 Ring o' Fate

Ring o' Fate

The Ghost.

• Project Team
  • 1,627 posts
  • Projects:Trying to find meaning...
  •  The guy that is just a ghost.

Posted 12 July 2009 - 03:02 AM

Armageddon, the event that would mean End of the World. Any thoughts and opinions?

Edited by Ring of Fate, 12 July 2009 - 03:03 AM.

A changed man is only the same man with a different outlook of life.

#71 Allathar

Allathar

これを翻訳する

• Project Team
  • 2,752 posts
  • Projects:RJ-RotWK
  •  Greedy capitalist and cynical bastard.

Posted 12 July 2009 - 10:28 AM

Bring it on!
It has been reported that some victims of rape, during the act, would retreat into a fantasy world from which they could not WAKE UP. In this catatonic state, the victim lived in a world just like their normal one, except they weren't being raped. The only way that they realized they needed to WAKE UP was a note they found in their fantasy world. It would tell them about their condition, and tell them to WAKE UP. Even then, it would often take months until they were ready to discard their fantasy world and PLEASE WAKE UP

#72 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 10:59 AM

Depends what form it takes. If it's a giant solar flare that will annihilate us all, then I'd rather avoid that one. But if it's zombies, awesome. Bring that shit, universe!

#73 Ring o' Fate

Ring o' Fate

The Ghost.

• Project Team
  • 1,627 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 12:59 PM

(Cocks shotgun)
Bring it God, we can take it.
(10 billion meteors come out of no where and go on a collision course with Earth)
Me: Oh Fuck.

#74 Rafv Nin IV

Rafv Nin IV

Vermin of Revora

• Members
  • 1,224 posts
  • Projects:RPG Frontier

Posted 12 July 2009 - 05:28 PM

The United States doesn't need Armageddon. We're already going to shit in a hand basket. Armageddon is when we finally get a government that wants to fix our national debt.

Posted Image

#75 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  • Projects:Writing Words With Letters
  •  I Help
  • Job:Community Admin

Posted 13 July 2009 - 02:56 AM

No, I am to become death, the destroyer of worlds. Oppenheimer rules you.

My theory is that Metal Gear Arsenal will be taken over by a recreated JD and GW and by itself use the Philosopher's Legacy to fund Russian, China, and the US to create a whole new breed of more maneuverable Metal Gears (upgraded version of a unmanned Metal Gear RAY) and attack the counties, sending the world into chaos. In this time, Metal Gear Arsenal can submerge and wait for The Philosopher's Legacy to extricate the entire world in massive amounts of currency, throwing the economy out and staring nuclear war along side of the Metal Gear RAY assaults.

Just a theory...

#76 Ring o' Fate

Ring o' Fate

The Ghost.

• Project Team
  • 1,627 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 04:37 AM

Lol, I love that one. :p

#77 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 09:02 PM

I am of the opinion that the Earth will somehow rid itself of us. Or maybe the sun, with a colossal solar flare which will destroy all life and leave our planet looking like Mars. Supervolcano, giant earthquake, rising sea levels, plague, something cataclysmic. We'll all die in a spectacular fashion.

#78 Rattuskid

Rattuskid

I used to be somebody noteworthy... I think

• Members
  • 1,064 posts
  • Projects:Osmium (mostly dead), Immunizer (crib death) and Spritezkrieg (also crib death)
  •  Rattus Norvegicus (bitch)

Posted 14 July 2009 - 12:38 AM

Not with a bang... but with a whimper.
Being a total douche.

#79 {IRS}Athos

{IRS}Athos

Non Sequitur

• Members
  • 4,008 posts
  • Projects:Ex-Advisor
  •  Resident Shakespearean.

Posted 14 July 2009 - 01:09 AM

I am of the opinion that the Earth will somehow rid itself of us. Or maybe the sun, with a colossal solar flare which will destroy all life and leave our planet looking like Mars. Supervolcano, giant earthquake, rising sea levels, plague, something cataclysmic. We'll all die in a spectacular fashion.

And then the sun will turn black like sackcloth made of goat hair, and the whole moon will turn blood red, and the stars in the sky will fall to earth... :thumbsupsmiley:
BulletsfromaGunbanner_zps974f3ea8.png

Careful. This link is DANGEROUS. Do NOT click it. This one, however, is fine.

I had the meaning of life in my signature, but it exceeded the character limit.

#80 Copaman

Copaman

Ryan

• Project Team
  • 2,144 posts
  • Projects:Winning.
  •  Slowly becoming a Veteran

Posted 14 July 2009 - 01:59 AM

I'd like to think that the Vikings were right, and the Earth will end in a colossal battle in a giant snowstorm.

Although, an invasion of the Flood (and/or Covenant) would be OK with me too.

Posted Image

If you meet me:

Have some courtesy,

Have some sympathy,

And some taste.

Use all your well-learned politesse,

Or I'll lay your soul to waste.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users