648 replies to this topic

#21 Rafv Nin IV

Rafv Nin IV

Vermin of Revora

• Members
  • 1,224 posts
  • Projects:RPG Frontier

Posted 19 June 2009 - 12:32 AM

Actually, TLC, I was stating my political opinion that underage drinking has no valid basis as a crime, not that it actually is legal.

Posted Image

#22 Spectre

Spectre

Rampant AI

• Hosted
  • 1,240 posts
  • Projects:Worldbuilding
  •  The Undead

Posted 19 June 2009 - 07:52 AM

If you're responsible enough to not drink yourself stupid, I bet you wouldn't need to worry about the government... Just don't go to a bar.

#23 segwayrulz

segwayrulz

title available

• Members
  • 788 posts
  • Projects:....

Posted 19 June 2009 - 12:54 PM

quick question: why is caspa banned?

#24 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,758 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Leader

Posted 19 June 2009 - 02:49 PM

There is no such thing as underage drinking because no government has legitimate authority over a human body unless the human body is directly employing government services, e.g. driving on a government-managed road.

If you build your own boat and sail off into international waters, then your theory applies. When you're 20 years old and drinking anywhere on American soil, you can be arrested. Personally, I agree with you and don't think the government should be restricting these things, instead they should be educating kids about real consequences in order to talk sense into them. Prohibition rarely works as well as education.

Edited by Matias, 19 June 2009 - 02:51 PM.

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#25 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts
  • Projects:Workin'...
  •  ...like a workin' man do.
  • Division:Role-Playing Games
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 19 June 2009 - 09:57 PM

Seconded. Like the Dutch opinion on cannabis. Give people the choice and they might make a sensible, informed decision. Tell them it's illegal and you criminalise an entire subclass of society and make people want to try it for the thrill. I don't understand how everybody managed to learn exactly nothing from alcohol prohibition in the USA back in the 1920s. Organised crime skyrocketed, alcohol-related deaths increased exponentially and the government lost a fortune in taxable income. Nice one, world.
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#26 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,127 posts
  • Projects:Writing Words With Letters
  •  I Help
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Community Admin

Posted 20 June 2009 - 03:06 AM

I blame the guy who first believed he could turn a weed into liquid, assuming it would taste good. He turned something bad into something deadly to a human host. Life threw him lemons, and he pumped them full of plutonium and lit the match.

#27 Rafv Nin IV

Rafv Nin IV

Vermin of Revora

• Members
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 03:13 AM

...Plutonium isn't even flammable...

And I don't see anything wrong with hash oil, personally. It's a lot better to eat some cookies with hash than smoke it, 'cause you don't smell as bad.

Posted Image

#28 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,127 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 20 June 2009 - 03:29 AM

Well other than the stuff accumulating abdominal fat, it's decent compared to a cookie. But the part I hashed out was sort of important...

...Plutonium isn't even flammable...

:p

#29 Copaman

Copaman

Ryan

• Project Team
  • 2,144 posts
  • Projects:Winning.
  •  Slowly becoming a Veteran

Posted 24 June 2009 - 09:32 PM

Here's one:

Why, exactly, do people have such a low opinion of blink-182? There are MUCH worse bands out there, so why not bash them?

Posted Image

If you meet me:

Have some courtesy,

Have some sympathy,

And some taste.

Use all your well-learned politesse,

Or I'll lay your soul to waste.

#30 Rafv Nin IV

Rafv Nin IV

Vermin of Revora

• Members
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 09:51 PM

They're so bad that they aren't worth bashing.

Posted Image

#31 Copaman

Copaman

Ryan

• Project Team
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 11:07 PM

And why, exactly, are they so bad?

Like I honestly don't see it. They're the top of their genre, and were the top of non-rap music at one point, around 1999.

Posted Image

If you meet me:

Have some courtesy,

Have some sympathy,

And some taste.

#32 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,758 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 11:11 PM

I don't like them because they are generic modern punk rock band #64 and have stupid lyrics. To me their sound is not unique, and not exciting in any way. Do you want good punk rock? Try Bad Religion, Dead Kennedys, Black Flag or Circle Jerks.

#33 True Lord of Chaos

True Lord of Chaos

I have returned, mostly out of boredom.

• Members
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 11:12 PM

They aren't anymore, it's more like Coldplay and Slipknot and Disturbed. People are into Nu-metal now, not blink-182-ish music.

Hello everyone. I am back.

#34 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,758 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 11:19 PM

Coldplay has been destroyed by the mainstream demands, and Slipknot hasn't been hip for years. Not that I ever listened to them when they were hip, because they have always sucked. Disturbed? Oh god... no. What's wrong with kids today. Whatever happened to good old rock 'n roll? The only new rockband I like is Buckcherry. They bring back the old hard rock vibe.

Music these days is horrible.

#35 Copaman

Copaman

Ryan

• Project Team
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 11:21 PM

... People are into Nu-metal now...

I don't know what people you're talking about. The majority of high schoolers, I can assure you, aren't into nu-metal.

Furthermore, I have diverse taste as well, so I am an exception to my own rule. I can appreciate nu, but it's not my mainstay. Along similar lines, are you a hardcore Coldplay fan to compliment your Slipknot obsession?

And my third point for TLC: I said they're the top of their genre. Find me a better pop-punk band which is selling more records at the moment, and I will gladly concede from my position on the issue. And I also said they were the at top of all non-rap around 1999, not that they are right now.

I don't like them because they are generic modern punk rock band #64 and have stupid lyrics. To me their sound is not unique, and not exciting in any way. Do you want good punk rock? Try Bad Religion, Dead Kennedys, Black Flag or Circle Jerks.

I listen to Bad Religion and Dead Kennedys. I like them, but they're outside of blink's genre... which for argument's sake is pop-punk. I will allow you that they don't sound unique... especially with the Untitled album. Go back to Cheshire Cat and Buddha, and parts of Dude Ranch, and they're fairly distinct I find.

For Matias (and anyone else who might care): What is your opinion of Rancid?

Edited by Copaman, 24 June 2009 - 11:22 PM.

Posted Image

If you meet me:

Have some courtesy,

Have some sympathy,

And some taste.

#36 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,758 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 11:24 PM

Not a fan. I don't listen to punk as much as I used to, it's more bluesrock, dreamrock and hardrock now. My favourite band of all time? D-A-D, or Disneyland after Dark, a Danish band. They are extremely, extremely underrated. My god, so awesome.

Edited by Matias, 24 June 2009 - 11:26 PM.

#37 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,127 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 25 June 2009 - 06:27 AM

I guess it's because it is a fresh punk rock group and people don't like fresh. They are like The Sticks of modern age.

#38 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts
  • Projects:Workin'...
  •  ...like a workin' man do.
  • Division:Role-Playing Games
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 25 June 2009 - 08:30 AM

If we're talking punk rock, I've got to give Rise Against a mention. They are far and away my favourite of that genre. Copaman, you should try going back to the early punk era. The Clash, the Sex Pistols, you know the sort I mean. Am I the only one that gets annoyed by bands like Blink-182 and Green Day claiming to be punk, the same genre that spawned Johnny Rotten and The Young Ones?

Also, Matias, if you want some of the old hard rock vibe, try Black Stone Cherry. It's good old-fashioned southern rock, the kind you can imagine blasting out of your truck as you drive along empty desert highways. Or Sevendust, they're similar but with a slightly more hardcore influence.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Copaman: I find it hilarious that you're wondering why nobody likes Blink-182 but can bash on Fall Out Boy day in, day out.
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#39 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,758 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 10:41 AM

I have all the Black Stone Cherry albums, Vort. :lol:

#40 Copaman

Copaman

Ryan

• Project Team
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 01:30 PM

Vort - blink-182 is not punk. Also, the difference between blink and FOB is that blink is actually decent live, and I can understand the lyrics. Not to mention, the guys can actually play... See what you've done? You're getting me started again.

Posted Image

If you meet me:

Have some courtesy,

Have some sympathy,

And some taste.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users