#421 Radspakr Wolfbane

Radspakr Wolfbane

The John Farnham of modding

• Members
  • 7,722 posts
  • Projects:Comeback tour
  •  The Retired Beard

Posted 11 September 2009 - 08:58 AM

Europe isn't a continent because there is no sea or great river separating it from Asia.
I don't think Mountains can be used to define Continental boundaries.
I mean Russia is it Asia or Europe?
But this is something I think people will always have issues over.

It's true we can most of Europe in Australia hell I'm sure I could fit a country in my old backyard:p.

Truth be told given the choice between a free holiday in either the US or in Europe I would go Europe hands down.
Europe has a lot of beautiful women there :p.

But if given a free Holiday anywhere I would choose Australia.

Break dancing into the hearts of millions

#422 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts
  • Projects:Workin'...
  •  ...like a workin' man do.
  • Division:Role-Playing Games
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 11 September 2009 - 09:58 AM

That's a boring choice for an Australian to make...

How exactly would mountains not count as a geographical barrier? You cross them if you think it's so easy, and people will find your frozen corpse ten thousand years from now and wonder just how stupid people were back then. And technically Russia is in both Europe and Asia. Moscow and St. Petersburg are in Europe, Vladivostok is clearly in Asia, as is most of Russia's landmass but not most of Russia's population. Turkey is also both European and Asian, what with controlling their little bit of land across the Bosphorus.

And SWG, the reason Europe has lots of separate countries is because we all hate each other. England hates France, Spain hates Portugal, Germany hates everyone, everyone hates France, nobody gives a damn about Italy and Russia are too far away to be worth bothering with. Also it's really cold there. We have rivalries going back further than there have been humans in New Zealand. That is genuinely true.
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#423 OmegaBolt

OmegaBolt

Lost In The New Real

• Hosted
  • 6,273 posts
  • Projects:Red-Resurrection
  •  O'Bolt

Posted 11 September 2009 - 10:55 AM

Europe isn't a continent because there is no sea or great river separating it from Asia.
I don't think Mountains can be used to define Continental boundaries.
I mean Russia is it Asia or Europe?
But this is something I think people will always have issues over.

Technically all continents are joined together by the planet's crust. They don't just float.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#424 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Network Leader

Posted 11 September 2009 - 02:53 PM

If that's what defines a continent, Brittain is one as well, just like Ireland, Iceland, Hawaii, Wake Island (nearly every island) and many other places. Instead, as Wikipedia says:

They are generally identified by convention rather than any strict criterion, with seven regions commonly regarded as continents

bartvh | Join me, make your signature small!
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#425 Puppeteer

Puppeteer

title available

• Global Moderators
  • 2,947 posts
  •  Faute de Mieux
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Magazine Staff/Global Moderator

Posted 11 September 2009 - 05:00 PM

And SWG, the reason Europe has lots of separate countries is because we all hate each other. England hates France, Spain hates Portugal, Germany hates everyone, everyone hates France, nobody gives a damn about Italy and Russia are too far away to be worth bothering with. Also it's really cold there. We have rivalries going back further than there have been humans in New Zealand. That is genuinely true.

This made me laugh!

@ Beo: We are Americans, we can say what we want. FREEDOM OF SPEECH. Don' like it? TOUGH.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Edited by Puppeteer, 11 September 2009 - 05:01 PM.

#426 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 08:06 PM

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

And this made me laugh. :p It sums up exactly what I wanted to say but couldn't think of how best to phrase, so in the end didn't bother saying. Sometimes I wonder whether people think 'free speech' means they have a carte blanche to say whatever they want. It doesn't work like that.
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#427 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 12 September 2009 - 01:55 AM

Actually, it does mean that. Free speech includes that which we despise and that which we know is patently false. It's always a two way street. However, it also means we have the freedom to ignore that which we do not like.

:)

NZ.org | BBPCG
Discord: The Astronomer#1314
Steam

#428 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  • Projects:Writing Words With Letters
  •  I Help
  • Job:Community Admin

Posted 12 September 2009 - 02:17 AM

Don't consort with the Brits and 'Freedom of Speech' Wulfy. They're not used to their talkative opposition with a head still on em'.

#429 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 06:58 AM

Alright, while technically free speech does mean you can say whatever you want, the practicalities are far different. Think of it like this: the media has the right to a free press, but that doesn't mean they can make stuff up and print it anyway. I see no reason why free speech as a concept should be any different.

There was a scandal with the Daily Mirror here a few years ago where they faked photographs of supposed British troops abusing Iraqi prisoners. They got found out, everyone got fired and they incurred a very hefty fine. But if they'd just said it to their friends and spread rumours, that would have been OK, apparently. Methinks I spy a double standard.

#430 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm
  •  Keep calm and carry on.

Posted 12 September 2009 - 10:01 AM

Exactly. There is also a reason why newspapers can't publish stuff like "Britain sinks under tide of sand-nigger influx." Much as the Daily Mail might want to, let's go into the oh-so many reasons why they can't.

Hate only begets more hate, therefore to allow people to be so outspokenly racist would have untold consequences as far as public order is concerned. While we might all agree that there are too any immigrants in the UK, there's no need to bring race or even religion into it.

I think you'll find the USA is subject to freedom of speech restrictions much the same as the UK is. Probably tighter, due to your greater diversity of ethnic backgrounds (though London, Bradford, Sheffield and Birmingham might make you think differently). If you publicly broadcast racism you'd be slammed. In addition, you can't invoke God in your swear words (eg 'goddamn') without that being censored. But 'damn' alone is ok.

True free speech would be the freedom to spew whatever nonsense you chose, anywhere, anyhow. But that would lead to either a vast amount of irrelevancy, or blatantly controversial and downright offensive stuff being said. Regardless, free speech need not be restricted but contained; only the medium in which it is presented. So, vis-a-vis, as it is now, you can say whatever you like within your own home or among friends but you wouldn't expect to be able to slur the same around a stranger or in public.

#431 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 11:34 AM

@ Beo: We are Americans, we can say what we want. FREEDOM OF SPEECH. Don' like it? TOUGH.

Free speech does not mean nobody may disagree with you, only that your words are not censored by the government.
If somebody tells you to STFU, that's his right (as much as it is yours to ignore that).
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#432 Devon

Devon

Dark Nerd of the Sith

• Global Moderators
  • 5,886 posts
  • Projects:RJ RotWK, Twilight of the Republic, HDLH
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Job:Global Moderator
  • Donated

Posted 12 September 2009 - 04:27 PM

2play, if you're gonna quote wiki on this...

Europe is a large peninsula of western Eurasia and fits the profile of subcontinent, but is afforded the political status of a continent. The European peninsula is relatively contained from the rest of Asia by the Ural Mountains, the Caspian Sea, the Caucasus Mountains, and the Black Sea.

I fully agree that Europe is a continent, but in the quote I was first referring to you were speaking only on geography. Because speaking geographically only, Europe is a subcontinent :)

yodasig2.png
My political compass
There's a story that the grass is so green...what did I see? Where have I been?

#433 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 04:32 PM

I'm not saying geography only, or political only, or anything only. I'm talking about the mix that makes sense.

#434 Devon

Devon

Dark Nerd of the Sith

• Global Moderators
  • 5,886 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Donated

Posted 12 September 2009 - 04:42 PM

Sigh :)

We don't officially belong to Europe but still:

Europe is your continent, regardless of any union or military relations :p

You said it was their continent regardless of any political or military relations, so that leaves geographical. Speaking only geographically, Europe isn't a continent.

yodasig2.png
My political compass

#435 Puppeteer

Puppeteer

title available

• Global Moderators
  • 2,947 posts
  •  Faute de Mieux

Posted 12 September 2009 - 04:48 PM

Yoda that article was written by one person, and perhaps only with one reference - one more person.
Think about it; mountains count as a border. They're pretty clear denotions of a border.
North America is a peninsula of South America. You're only given your own status politically, too.

Edited by Puppeteer, 12 September 2009 - 04:49 PM.

#436 Allathar

Allathar

これを翻訳する

• Project Team
  • 2,752 posts
  • Projects:RJ-RotWK
  •  Greedy capitalist and cynical bastard.

Posted 12 September 2009 - 05:48 PM

Not anymore, since they now have the Panamakanaal (Panama canal?)
It has been reported that some victims of rape, during the act, would retreat into a fantasy world from which they could not WAKE UP. In this catatonic state, the victim lived in a world just like their normal one, except they weren't being raped. The only way that they realized they needed to WAKE UP was a note they found in their fantasy world. It would tell them about their condition, and tell them to WAKE UP. Even then, it would often take months until they were ready to discard their fantasy world and PLEASE WAKE UP

#437 Puppeteer

Puppeteer

title available

• Global Moderators
  • 2,947 posts
  •  Faute de Mieux

Posted 12 September 2009 - 06:09 PM

So a canal denotes a continental boundary, but mountains don't? Now I'm confused.

#438 Devon

Devon

Dark Nerd of the Sith

• Global Moderators
  • 5,886 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Donated

Posted 12 September 2009 - 06:28 PM

Oh gosh...

I only quoted wiki because 2play did. I even said "And since you quoted wiki..."

The North American landmass is pretty clearly separate from the South American, though where you draw the border can differ (though not so much now, as we have the Panama Canal like Allathar said.) Europe and Asia on the other hand are not clearly distinct.

yodasig2.png
My political compass

#439 Puppeteer

Puppeteer

title available

• Global Moderators
  • 2,947 posts
  •  Faute de Mieux

Posted 12 September 2009 - 06:47 PM

The North American landmass is pretty clearly separate from the South American, though where you draw the border can differ (though not so much now, as we have the Panama Canal like Allathar said.) Europe and Asia on the other hand are not clearly distinct.

And who are you to say what counts as a clear difference? Looking top-down on a map you might not see that much a difference (if you don't consider nations' boundaries), but those mountains are there.

#440 Hostile

Hostile

Benefitting Humanity Simply by Showing Up!

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Job:Global Administrator
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 12 September 2009 - 06:50 PM

North America is simply a very large peninsula of South America. It's obvious to me, doesn't anyone else see the obvious?

Northern South America anyone?

Maybe N Korea needs a new more friendly name like "Really Really West Hawaii"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users