Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts
  • Projects:Workin'...
  •  ...like a workin' man do.
  • Division:Role-Playing Games
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 09 July 2009 - 06:52 PM

I am opposed to randomness. Sure, it might contribute to a bit of craziness of inspiration, but I'd like to go for a more tranquil feel to the whole thing. And yes, Vithar, that top picture is the one I was thinking of. Good job, old chap.

What would we think of that as an exterior to the design, with columns then delineating the forum links with a white marble Greek feel to the main thing, with Japanese symbols for the buttons? Would that work in any way or just look like a mish-mash of cultures and styles into something odd and unrecognisable?
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#23 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts
  • Projects:The Peloponnesian Wars Mod.
  •  There are no heroes, no villains - only decisions.
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Global Moderator

Posted 09 July 2009 - 07:12 PM

I think that there should be a larger Greek decoration if we're going for a 'mix 'n match' of cultures.. Ie have the nice Japanese art Vithar linked, with the scrollwork and marble pillars like TDP did, and have the kanji (sp?) making the forum buttons etc. The top banner could be some cool Greek murals etc.

#24 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 07:20 PM

How about an artistic interpretation of the Elgin Marbles or something like that? They're pretty awesome. (If you ever get a chance to go around the British Museum, take it. Seriously, world's best museum.)
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#25 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts
  • Projects:The Peloponnesian Wars Mod.
  •  There are no heroes, no villains - only decisions.
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Global Moderator

Posted 09 July 2009 - 07:32 PM

Looks good to me, and it's great to know you aren't biased, Vort :p

#26 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 07:34 PM

If that was a reference to my adoration of the British Museum, go there first and then tell me I'm biased.

#27 Vithar-133

Vithar-133

Violent Gandhi

• Project Team
  • 1,975 posts
  • Projects:Existing
  •  It's not your skill, boys. It's your will. Ooh-rah!

Posted 09 July 2009 - 07:34 PM

I actually think that the Kanji and the marble look to the buttons would look pretty cool. Glad I could help with the images.

I do believe you'll see more koi in Chinese art. Japanese has more waves and cranes/ herons. Depending on what you look for, that is. Some of their artwork does feature people, or more often, warriors of some kind or another.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#28 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 07:36 PM

I'd rather not go for warriors in this. Creativity and destruction are somewhat opposing ideals. But I'm fine with the more cranes and herons and koi and whatnot. Just no soldiers and swords and blood, please.

Anyone want to knock together a concept piece for Kanji-meets-koine? :p

#29 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Network Leader

Posted 09 July 2009 - 08:06 PM

Would that work in any way or just look like a mish-mash of cultures and styles into something odd and unrecognisable?

It can work very well, if a skilled person executes it.
bartvh | Join me, make your signature small!
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#30 Rafv Nin IV

Rafv Nin IV

Vermin of Revora

• Members
  • 1,224 posts
  • Projects:RPG Frontier

Posted 10 July 2009 - 12:36 AM

Is your British Museum really that much better than the Smithsonian? I've been to most of the Smithsonian twice (although everything was completely different both times, except for exhibits like the lunar landing module that stay there all the time), and it's pretty impressive.

Posted Image

#31 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 06:46 AM

We have the world's largest collection of mummies, the Rosetta Stone, the Elgin Marbles, we did have a massive exhibition of the Terracotta Army though I think that's gone now. There's just tons and tons of stuff, although I would also very much like to visit the Smithsonian, as I haven't yet.

Does anyone know of anyone better at this sort of thing than Puppeteer, or shall we give him a call to arms for the sake of Revora? Or should we wait until we've upgraded to the next IPB thingy? Is that still happening?

#32 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Network Leader

Posted 10 July 2009 - 02:12 PM

Or should we wait until we've upgraded to the next IPB thingy? Is that still happening?

Yes, but I couldn't say when
bartvh | Join me, make your signature small!
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users