#1 Gfire

Gfire

Nuju

• Project Team
  • 2,173 posts
  • Projects:Finding My Way
  •  The Perfectionist

Posted 24 October 2009 - 05:18 AM

Well, with Gondor/Rohan split and Rhun/Harad split, there will be one more evil faction than good. I think a fitting way to balance this (as equal seems ideal) would be to split the elves. Personally, I think Mirkwood and Lothlorien would be the best candidates, with the Rivendell units being available as summons or from the inn, or even as a mini faction available to either.

This would, of course, be delayed until after beta 4.8.
Greetings, community.

#2 Dant

Dant

title available

• Members
  • 937 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 05:39 AM

It not big problem for Lothlorien, Since they used to be core factions even in original games. But for Mirkwood whice are somethings news.

I'm not sure about Rivendell though, But it best to be in summons spell.

Edited by Dant, 24 October 2009 - 05:41 AM.

Posted Image

#3 khamulrulz

khamulrulz

title available

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 06:01 AM

i'm fine with elves staying together... as we go into so much complexity, it's getting to be too much like rj rotwk, where it is really complex, but not as fun as s.e.e.

rj rotwk split elves into three factions... but the units are basically renamed and reskinned versions of each other, so they actually aren't all that differnent, except for structures and heroes

Right now, the heroes are from these places:

(Hobbits will be removed, i hope: frodo and sam as ringbearers and merry to rohan, pippin to gondor in 4.8)

Rivendell: Elrond, Glorfindel, Arwen
Lorien: Haldir, Galadriel, Celeborn
Mirkwood: Legolas, Thranduil

I just don't think the three elf-factions fight that differently from each other to have separate factions (unlike rohan/gondor)

in my suggestion thread for 4.8, i recommended that lorien swordsmen, archers, and galadhrim warriors get built from the lorien barracks, while mirkwood spearmen (new unit, basic pikes), mirkwood axemen (new unit, elite infantry), mithlond sentries (become elite pikes), mirkwood archers, and noldor warriors get built from the dormitory, which is the building where non-lorien infantry get built (all cavalry is still built from green pasture) also, to recruit rivendell and mirkwood heroes, the dormitory has to be built (similar to current role of rohan golden hall)

Edited by khamulrulz, 24 October 2009 - 08:07 AM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  • Projects:BFME2 - Nazgûl's Special Extended Edition
  •  Veteran

Posted 25 October 2009 - 08:00 AM

You know... I don't dislike ideas like separating factions, but I've always been afraid to let SEE grow too big. Which it has aleady done, ages ago, and that's why I'm having HUGE problems reaching the finish line. And that's also why MOST mods die - they grow too big! Just look at RA for christ's sake.. no mod has ever had SO much work done, in terms of coding, modeling, skinning, scripting, mapping, etc... and for what? Just to see it all die YEARS later. I do NOT want that to happen to SEE. I'm going to (try to) show the modding community that at least one giant mod CAN make it through, and thus not wasting ALL the work that SO many people put into this.

My point is that if we keep pushing the finish line in front of us, we're never gonna reach it. We might continue work, after Beta V with ideas like this and whatnot, but that's a latter question. I do think we need to split Gondor from Rohan for two reasons:

1) Both played a major role in the movies, and didn't come together until the end, and more importantly:
2) Both factions, espescially Gondor are pretty big. Together they make a HUGE faction with loads of unneeded units. I'd like them to all be useful, and with Rohan alone, even the Peasants and the Yeoman archers will be used frequently, cause you simply don't have the Gondor soldiers =p

And if I'd ever split the Elves, which are currently named by their main faction; Lothlórien - it would naturally be into the two factions who are represented the most in the movies: Rivendell & Lothlórien. The only thing we "see" out of Mirkwood is basically Legolas himself =p But, as I've learned from adding Rhûn/Harad into Beta 4.7, it's MAJOR work to add a faction and I can't do it myself really... No more splits for next beta. We'll see after that.

Edited by Nazgûl, 25 October 2009 - 08:01 AM.

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
"Do not come between the Nazgûl and his mod!"
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I S.E.E. YOU! <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#5 khamulrulz

khamulrulz

title available

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 11:50 AM

the thing is, as i said earlier, the elven factions don't fight that differently from each other (unlike gondor and rohan), so they would just be reskinned versions of the same units. imho, elves should stay in one faction. same with evil men
Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 Florisz

Florisz

The Young Reindeer

• Project Team
  • 2,322 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 12:51 PM

Kinda like with RJ... Those Elves are almost the same. Save starting units and buildings.
Posted Image

#7 yams in a can

yams in a can

Friend of the Right Side

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 02:59 PM

My ideas for splitting the faction when you can is Elves of the Western Middle-Earth and Elves of the Eastern Middle-Earth. The western elves are Rivendel, Mithlond (The Grey Havens), and Lindon. The eastern elves are Lorien and Mirkwood.

Posted Image
To the professor, John Ronald Reuel Tolkien.

Posted Image
Posted Image

-yams in a can

#8 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 25 October 2009 - 03:13 PM

*moved all RJ/SEE talk into new topic HERE!* /Naz
Stay on topic guys... =p

the thing is, as i said earlier, the elven factions don't fight that differently from each other (unlike gondor and rohan), so they would just be reskinned versions of the same units. imho, elves should stay in one faction. same with evil men

Well, that is actually the case with most things... Units are just different models (or only reskins) with different armor, weapons and abilities. Sometimes just one of them... depends on how thourough you are as a modder :p

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#9 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 28 October 2009 - 05:11 PM

* OFFENSIVE POSTS BY HERMOOR AND ALL TOPIC ARGUMENT THAT FOLLWED IS SPLIT FROM THIS TOPIC INTO SPAM SECTION *

Back on topic...

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#10 Archon

Archon

Ethereal Chaos

• Members
  • 555 posts
  • Projects:Wars of Arda mod
  •  Expert Marksman

Posted 28 October 2009 - 06:08 PM

Finally...*phew*
I think it should simply be kept like so:

Good Factions
Gondor
Rohan
Lórien
Erebor

Evil Factions
Mordor
Isengard
Moria
Rhûn

There you go...Perfectly balanced.
_______Posted Image_______Posted Image

#11 Gfire

Gfire

Nuju

• Project Team
  • 2,173 posts
  • Projects:Finding My Way
  •  The Perfectionist

Posted 28 October 2009 - 06:19 PM

But Harad is separate from Rhun. :D At least, I think Nazgul said that Gondor/Rohan will be split at the same time as Harad/Rhun.
Greetings, community.

#12 Archon

Archon

Ethereal Chaos

• Members
  • 555 posts
  •  Expert Marksman

Posted 28 October 2009 - 06:27 PM

Are you sure Rhûn and Harad will be split? :D

#13 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 28 October 2009 - 08:02 PM

Hehe yeah...

Well nothing is official yet. It's all just open thoughts and brain storming. The only certain things are those listed for the next beta =)

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#14 klementinos

klementinos
  • Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 11:25 AM

Are you sure Rhûn and Harad will be split? :mellow:

no they will be not,more votes are against spliting. :party:

Edited by klementinos, 04 November 2009 - 11:27 AM.

#15 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 04 November 2009 - 12:02 PM

no they will be not,more votes are against spliting. :mellow:

Do not assume you have any part in decision making of the SEE mod. Ultimately it's up to me and the Team what we decide. Wotes are interesting, but not equal a decision :party:

Also, this topic is about ELVEN faction - not evilmen

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#16 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2009 - 01:07 AM

If you plan on splitting harad/Rhun, you should split the elves too. Of course that would be much later, but it would be a good list of factions.

Good
-Erebor
-Gondor
-Rivendell
-Lothlorien
-Rohan

Bad
-Mordor
-Moria
-Isengard
-Rhun
-Harad

There are enough heroes for the elves and already different units that could be put in each faction. For rivendell you could just use the buildings from the rivendell map. And maybe just scale them down, that would work. What do you think?

#17 ttandchotmail

ttandchotmail

title available

• Project Team
  • 849 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 05:19 AM

Guys the idea of splitting loth and riv, and rhun and harad is so far down the list of things that we need to do first that just the idea alone will take probably another 2 years to even start to contemplate doing this. :) :p :grin:
No chance of returning....Zero chance of surviving....Well!? When do we get started?
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#18 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 05 November 2009 - 02:48 PM

Word! ^^ :)

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#19 Archon

Archon

Ethereal Chaos

• Members
  • 555 posts
  •  Expert Marksman

Posted 05 November 2009 - 02:52 PM

You beat me to it Naz...I was just about to post a long and complicated post to the same effect when my Firefox crashed :)

#20 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 11 November 2009 - 10:30 PM

Look HERE! ;)

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users