47 replies to this topic

#1 True Lord of Chaos

True Lord of Chaos

I have returned, mostly out of boredom.

• Members
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 11:08 PM

D.C. Sniper Executed

When I was a freshman in high school, a sniper went on a rampage throughout Washington, D.C. For three weeks, the country held its breath waiting for what was to happen. Five people were killed in the first 24-hours of the attack, and at the end 10 were slain. And on Tuesday night, over seven years later, the mastermind of the attack was executed by lethal injection.

John Allen Muhammad has maintained his innocence over the course of his two trials. His accomplice, Lee Boyd Malvo, testified in Muhammad's second trial that Muhammad planned to kill up to six people a day for 30 days. Quick math, that's 180 people. So, in actuality, the tragedy could have been much worse.

It seems so long ago that the United States was gripped with the terror of the D.C. Sniper. But it's almost insulting that Muhammad has not acknowledged his crimes. According to an article on cnn.com before his execution, "If Muhammad enters the death chamber without acknowledging his crimes, he will be known as the leader of one of the most enigmatic mass murder teams in history."

Prosecutors said during the trials that Muhammad had eventually planned to kill his wife, Mildred, to gain custody of their three children. It's difficult for me to understand what would lead someone to think that this is the best way to get his or her kids back.

There are so many other steps that could have been taken, but instead Muhammad resorted to killing 10 innocent victims and wounding three more. According to Malvo's testimony, Muhammad brainwashed Malvo. He was only 17 when the rampage started. Now he's 24, and he is spending the rest of his life in prison.

He was convicted of the murder of FBI analyst Linda Franklin in Fairfax County, Va. According to the cnn.com article, some thought that if Muhammad had regained custody of his children after murdering his wife, he planned on killing Malvo.

For seven long years, Muhammad has stated that he did not commit the crimes. Last week he even wrote a letter to the federal court that he was innocent and "back to the fight - and still on death row!"

It's disconcerting that someone with so much evidence piled against him would continually state his innocence. But since Muhammad hasn't talked about it past that, no one will ever really know what was going on in his head. According to a scan of Muhammad's brain released by defense attorneys, he had signs of brain damage to the front and rear of his brain. It was stated that this is consistent with schizophrenia and other brain dysfunction. He also reportedly suffered from post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) from his service in the first Gulf War. Perhaps this was the missing key to the questions.

But now, it's too late. There is so much complexity to this case that I don't feel it can be adequately understood over the past seven years. There are news stories about his ex-wife, Carol Williams, and his children with her. There are stories about the warning signs that officials missed throughout the investigation and before the rampage even started.

Some, such as his ex-wife Mildred, feel as though his mental state and PTSD were responsible for his actions. But now, we really just won't know.

It feels like people could have, should have, would have done a million things to stop this from happening. But they didn't. And now he's dead, and Malvo is behind bars.

I feel as though there is a certain resolve now that everything is over. But 10 families must still deal with their grief caused by Muhammad and Malvo.

http://media.www.har...d-3831272.shtml

Edited by True Lord of Chaos, 12 November 2009 - 11:09 PM.

Hello everyone. I am back.

#2 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts
  • Projects:Workin'...
  •  ...like a workin' man do.
  • Division:Role-Playing Games
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 12 November 2009 - 11:54 PM

Time was, I would have said this was a just killing. But these days I am thoroughly opposed to the death penalty. Death never solved anything.
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#3 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm
  •  Keep calm and carry on.

Posted 13 November 2009 - 12:30 AM

Seven years? It's been that long? Damn, I thought shave about three years off that...

But nah, good riddance. Death penalty's one we'll have to agree to disagree on, Vort. :sleep:

#4 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 13 November 2009 - 01:43 AM

Death never solved anything.

The families of the victims would disagree.

NZ.org | BBPCG
Discord: The Astronomer#1314
Steam

#5 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 02:10 AM

I admit, there are moments where I still think that there are people deserving of the death penalty, but for the most part, I don't believe the situation will be remedied by another death, legally sanctioned or no. I'm sure some members of the affected families would disagree, and that is their right, but my view in this is that death by sniper rifle or electric chair makes no difference. It's vigilantism by consensus. That doesn't make it right.
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#6 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 13 November 2009 - 02:11 AM

It's not vigilantism if it's state sponsored.

NZ.org | BBPCG
Steam

#7 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 02:15 AM

Yes it is. Being the law should not put you beyond its reach. There are any number of governments who would do well to remember that. Beyond that, I believe there is a higher moral compass that should guide our actions, not merely a written coda set down arbitrarily by old men out of touch with society and, often, reality, and I do not believe that moral code accepts killing in any form.

#8 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 13 November 2009 - 03:02 AM

So I guess that means any law enforcement agent who is forced to use deadly force or any military person is a vigilante as well, right?

NZ.org | BBPCG
Steam

#9 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  • Projects:Writing Words With Letters
  •  I Help
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Community Admin

Posted 13 November 2009 - 05:57 AM

I remember hearing about that. Shame they had to sacrifice him. Snipers are the coolest types of gun people.

#10 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 12:10 PM

No, that's different, Fen. Taking a life in self-defence is one thing, but an execution is done in cold blood, and I cannot in good conscience accept that. As for the military, I am generally an opponent of using them as anything other than a deterrent.

Maybe if I believed in an afterlife I would feel differently, but I do not. I believe that this life is all there is, and thus that there can be no worse crime than ending the life of another. An execution merely brings the institution to the same level as the criminal. And if there is an afterlife, if there is a further dimension wherein the actions of your life are weighed and measured, do you think an executioner will fare any better than his charges? How about the judge who condemns them? The murder-fanatics camping outside the prisons baying for blood?

#11 Allathar

Allathar

これを翻訳する

• Project Team
  • 2,752 posts
  • Projects:RJ-RotWK
  •  Greedy capitalist and cynical bastard.

Posted 13 November 2009 - 12:21 PM

Ehm, what else do you suppose? Letting them live the rest of their lifes out in prison? Might as well just shoot them now, so they don't waste anymore space and resources. Really, if he can so easily judge about people's lifes by shooting them, why can't we kill him?
It has been reported that some victims of rape, during the act, would retreat into a fantasy world from which they could not WAKE UP. In this catatonic state, the victim lived in a world just like their normal one, except they weren't being raped. The only way that they realized they needed to WAKE UP was a note they found in their fantasy world. It would tell them about their condition, and tell them to WAKE UP. Even then, it would often take months until they were ready to discard their fantasy world and PLEASE WAKE UP

#12 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 12:58 PM

Because that makes us as bad as him. Did you miss the whole judging spiel I had going on there? Yes, let him live out his days in prison. Maybe he'll get shanked, or maybe he'll die aged 90 in a little locked box, having spent his whole life behind bars and not having seen the moon since the day he was arrested. Curtailing a man's freedom to that degree is worse than death. It gets dragged out over as many years as he can survive, instead of setting him free in half an hour.

#13 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm
  •  Keep calm and carry on.

Posted 13 November 2009 - 02:08 PM

Yeah, but you have to feed him, clothe him, bathe him and provide him basic human necessities for all those years. Tax-free and worry-free, the state practically rewards him for killing someone by giving him everything he needs to live for the rest of his days. How is that fair?

I'd extend the death penalty to rapists and pedophiles too. Wastes of oxygen, one and all.

#14 olli

olli

Resident Pilot

• Project Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • Projects:Remix Escalation Top Quality Imaginer and Pro Tester. CnC Guild Gossip Whore
  •  Misanthropic Hulking Adonis

Posted 13 November 2009 - 02:26 PM

I think we can come to a mid way point here.

Get medieval on their ass. They had it right with their forms of justice and punishment (when they got the right person...) And I'm not talking about executions. I'm talking about being locked in a cold, dark and damp room. Practically naked. Being fed stale bread once a week or so. Festering in your own shit and piss. Rats around you constantly. It wont take long for an infection to kick in and kill you…

That way it gets dragged out. Being locked away. No freedom. No chance of escape. Coming to terms with what you have done. But using minimal resources, extremely minimal and eventually the criminal dies. That is what prison should be like, not the 2* hotel service that criminals now days get.

Or another way is to chain them all up in a big room, hanging from their arms and just leave them...for nature to take its course. Like they used to. That would be better in a sense, because no resources get used up and you can be efficient with the space. Also, there will be constant space as each one dies off one by one. It would be a worse deterrent than the death penalty.

Edited by olli, 13 November 2009 - 02:27 PM.

Posted Image
CnC Guild - As ancient as time itself.
Do you like anything CnC releated? Then the CnC guild likes you! Go make friends with it.

Latest Remix Escalation on ModDB
Remix Escalation on Revora - Track the latest news and changes.

#15 OmegaBolt

OmegaBolt

Lost In The New Real

• Hosted
  • 6,273 posts
  • Projects:Red-Resurrection
  •  O'Bolt

Posted 13 November 2009 - 02:30 PM

Being locked in a box is hardly a reward. I would rather die. Giving him death is being kind. :sleep:

But I agree with Vort. People who support the death penalty are those who will keep humanity tied to doing what it can, when it can and giving no thought to the future.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#16 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 13 November 2009 - 02:53 PM

thus that there can be no worse crime than ending the life of another.

This, right here, makes your argument entirely null. If this is the worst crime ever, what should be the punishment? Life in prison? Hell no. Off that son of a bitch and save some taxpayer money.

It's one thing when the "killer" feels remorseful. The DC Sniper had none. At all. In all seriousness, he was a pathetic, worthless waste of a human life. Why the hell should he live when he murdered countless people in cold blood for no reason at all? Why should his life be worth more than those who he murdered? These sorts of questions are the reason why I will never get behind the "no death penalty" bandwagon. The attitude just sickens me.

NZ.org | BBPCG
Steam

#17 OmegaBolt

OmegaBolt

Lost In The New Real

• Hosted
  • 6,273 posts
  •  O'Bolt

Posted 13 November 2009 - 03:05 PM

Then everyone would end beign killed. The killer kills a man. The state executes him. The state gets executed. The executioner gets executed and so on.

By killing the killer your just commiting the same crime as him. By doing it just to save money your even worse than the killer.

Posted Image

#18 Phil

Phil

Force Majeure

• Network Leaders
  • 7,976 posts
  • Projects:Revora, C&C:Online
  •  Thought Police
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Network Leader
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 13 November 2009 - 03:26 PM

The question is if anyone should have the right to kill a human being. I believe not. Not even the state.
If saving money is the reason then you do not only allow the state to kill, but to murder. In that case you should probably rethink your moral position...

revorapresident.jpg
My Political Compass

Sieben Elefanten hatte Herr Dschin
Und da war dann noch der achte.
Sieben waren wild und der achte war zahm
Und der achte war's, der sie bewachte.

#19 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 13 November 2009 - 03:35 PM

Then everyone would end beign killed. The killer kills a man. The state executes him. The state gets executed. The executioner gets executed and so on.

It's necessary. The families get more out of it than we do. Besides, you see how long the execution process takes. Many are put on death row that never see their execution for one reason or another.

By killing the killer your just commiting the same crime as him. By doing it just to save money your even worse than the killer.

Here's the difference - it's not just in cold blood. It's their punishment for a crime. Not to mention, everyone has blood on their hands, it's just a matter of degree.

NZ.org | BBPCG
Steam

#20 OmegaBolt

OmegaBolt

Lost In The New Real

• Hosted
  • 6,273 posts
  •  O'Bolt

Posted 13 November 2009 - 03:42 PM

I don't see whats good or redeeming about vengeance.

I also dont see how death is a punishment. I dont believe theres anything after, so its not like hes going to regret doing it for the rest of time as he would if locked up, alone.

Edited by OmegaBolt, 13 November 2009 - 03:43 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users