• Hosted
  • 3,349 posts
  • Projects:Star Villains and Space heroes, The Dwarf Holds
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Division:BFME/Unity

Posted 04 December 2009 - 08:53 AM

The site is... shiny, as is the 2009 skin. Awesome work everyone involved :p

sig.png
I really don't do requests and my Arnor Soldier is not fit for BFME. Don't ask me for either.

#62 Taralom

Taralom

Self-proclaimed A**hole

• Project Team
  • 1,519 posts
  • Projects:Turned to Writing
  •  I R GOOGL'd

Posted 04 December 2009 - 04:19 PM

It's not the end of the world to get a different browser. In fact, you can even just use Firefox for Revora and still keep IE8 as your default browser. Personally, I think Firefox is pretty good.

I say that either you just make that small change and get Fireforx (if only to use on this site) or you'll just have to deal with the bugs that IE8 gives.

I personally think that FF is quite good too, but I fail to see why IE is such a bad browser. I've tried FF once, but it put a helluva strain on my *dated* pc. I have a new pc, but I do not see why I should switch to another browser to view a forum...

But I see that you feel that everybody has to follow your lead or stick with the bugs? Man, I would not want you as my prime minster.

@2play:
Is there any way for IE users to revert to the original skin? For I cannot find the option.
If the above post offended you in any way,
please take note that, until further notice, I don't care, so get lost.

#63 OmegaBolt

OmegaBolt

Lost In The New Real

• Hosted
  • 6,273 posts
  • Projects:Red-Resurrection
  •  O'Bolt

Posted 04 December 2009 - 05:04 PM

Forum skins can be changed by scrolling down to the bottom of the page, where there are 2 dropdown menus. The first is for skins & the old one is called "Revora Main".

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#64 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts
  • Projects:DoW AI Scripting Project
  • Division:DoW
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 04 December 2009 - 05:15 PM

Update..

Ok my issue with the long 50 page threads is now resolved by switching the board skin to "Rev It 2.2". Hooarrryy! :p
Advanced Skirmish AI Team Lead for the coolest Warhammer40k PC RTS out there:

Dawn of War Advanced AI Headquarters

Latest DoW Advanced AI Download!

#65 Taralom

Taralom

Self-proclaimed A**hole

• Project Team
  • 1,519 posts
  • Projects:Turned to Writing
  •  I R GOOGL'd

Posted 04 December 2009 - 05:29 PM

Thank you, Omegabolt, that was the answer I was looking for.
All problems solved :p
If the above post offended you in any way,
please take note that, until further notice, I don't care, so get lost.

#66 Bereneth Túrien

Bereneth Túrien

Ni degilbor

• Members
  • 414 posts
  • Projects:Working on my own mod.
  •  Former advisor.

Posted 04 December 2009 - 11:11 PM

Just came back to check in and noticed it. Great job; it looks awesome.

I used to be {AE}Manveru, if that rings a bell.

#67 Duke

Duke

Doctor Doctor!

• Members
  • 420 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 07:53 AM

Update: http://revora.net/browsers
Too bad only naughty IE users will ever get to see that :p

Since when is Revora a platform for deciding what browser users should use. When I make a site I check for complete browser compliance. It's because one's personal preference is below what the demands of the user are.

Copyright © 2009 Revora Association. Design by ShadySaiyan and Whatface.
This site looks bad and works less in Internet Explorer. Get a real browser instead.

Who are you to tell people to use one browser over another? That's takes balls larger than you carry in your pants. To actually have a browser specific message on OUR website promoting one browser over another? I strongly reject this idea and it is one of the most idealistic and self promoting things I've ever seen on a public, high traffic, website. If you can't code the work around for the feature, than don't include the feature or apologize for your coding incompetence. Don't blame an entire browser for your short comings coding wise.

I FIRMLY and strongly suggest you remove such nonsense from the IE version. This is the most stupid thing I've seen EVER performed at Revora in my time here.

I have no particular affection for any browsers, I love the commmunity. It is not Revora's job to define how the user views the site. I feel pretty strong on this. I believe NO browser specific message should include some recommendation of one browser over another despite the web coders personal preference or lack of browser compliant coding ability.

This is total nonsense.

I'm sorry but I do have to agree with Hostile. It is shit, but as web developers it's part of the job.

Good to see you guys updating and stuff but really...I honestly liked the older template better :p

This, while it may be a bit more modern, is just fantastically average. It looks like you've tried to do a really nice semi-minimalistic style thing but it's really not working. Everything is far too crammed in. It's not terrible, but I think you guys can come up with a lot better than this.

Looks like it was designed by a coder :huh:

#68 Námo

Námo

• Project Team
  • 1,291 posts
  • Projects:Middle-earth Lore, Cartography & Linguistics

Posted 05 December 2009 - 11:06 AM

Websites should work on as many browsers / resolutions as possible, whether you like them or not. Though personally I've no idea why anyone would visit the Revora main site.

Agree.

I'm NOT going to change a browser [IE8], that otherwise serves me well, just to view this part of Revora. :huh:

Sorry, but that leaves me with only one option: to change my start-page to 'T3A Forum' and stay away from the main Revora forum, as much as possible. No problem, actually it's a sort of relief.

Good luck with the new skin. :p

... elen síla lúmenn´ ómentielvo ...
... a star shines on the hour of our meeting ...
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#69 Phil

Phil

Force Majeure

• Network Leaders
  • 7,976 posts
  • Projects:Revora, C&C:Online
  •  Thought Police
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Network Leader
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 05 December 2009 - 11:35 AM

You realise that you can switch skins though, right? :huh:

revorapresident.jpg
My Political Compass

Sieben Elefanten hatte Herr Dschin
Und da war dann noch der achte.
Sieben waren wild und der achte war zahm
Und der achte war's, der sie bewachte.

#70 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 12:05 PM

Yes, that's the reason I left the old skin available. If this one doesn't work for you, use Revora Main.
bartvh | Join me, make your signature small!
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#71 Námo

Námo

• Project Team
  • 1,291 posts
  • Projects:Middle-earth Lore, Cartography & Linguistics

Posted 05 December 2009 - 05:12 PM

You realise that you can switch skins though, right? :santah:

Well, I sometimes comes only as a guest ...

I hope you realize that guests are denied that option, then you only have one drop-down menu at the bottom (for fast jumping), and at the top only these display-options: Outline, Standard and Linear+! No 'Revora Main', only the Lo-Fi version.

I feel sorry for those guests, if they are IE-users ... :p

... elen síla lúmenn´ ómentielvo ...
... a star shines on the hour of our meeting ...
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#72 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 05:55 PM

I do too, but because they're IE users, not because Revora looks strange for them. :p
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#73 Destroyer

Destroyer

Byte me

• Members
  • 2,305 posts
  • Projects:Having fun
  •  Just this guy, you know?

Posted 05 December 2009 - 06:33 PM

I do too, but because they're IE users, not because Revora looks strange for them.

I'm sorry, but how did you get to be a network leader? You're supposed to want to get as many new members as possible to sustain the community, but your posts continuously suggest a complete lack of care for people using IE, looking down upon them. You say that approximately a quarter of the visitors use IE, yet you refuse to have a design that works.

Revora, targeting a more tech savvy audience, is in an excellent position to not support IE very well.

If the numbers said nobody using IE came to the site then yes, you would be in an excellent position to not support IE. But seeing as the numbers are significantly higher than that, you're just being elitist over a large number, which is not a quality a person making decisions over improvement of the network should have.

Revora should be open for everybody. Sure, IE people can come in, but it's not exactly pretty looking. If you think of each browser's rendering of a page as a door they have to enter, Revora's IE door has squeaky, rusted hinges and the door handle is covered in feces. Nobody's going to want to enter through that one.

Saying "switch to IE" as a solution is not going to work in most cases, as people are not going to change their browser of choice for one silly site on the net. Some regulars might switch, but a new viewer with the potential to become a member will just navigate away. Revora to them is just another gaming site, this one poorly designed.

This is an unacceptable situation

#74 Solinx

Solinx

• Undead
  • 3,101 posts
  • Projects:Real Life
  • Job:Retired Leader / Manager

Posted 05 December 2009 - 07:13 PM

2play, really, that statement is quite disappointing. Open your eyes, not everyone is a power user.

IE6 was crap, IE7 was decent, but clearly lacking in some areas. IE8 on the other hand is actually not that bad for regular users.
MS is improving IE, and you better take notice and adjust your attitude to it, or you'd be as good a developer as IE 7 was a browser.

IE is consistantly used by a considerable percentage of the visitors on pretty much any website. Why this is so doesn't even matter.
So yeah, although I wouldn't extend it to questioning your ability to be a NL, I fully agree with Destroyer with regards to the website and Revora needing to be open for every visitor.
Posted Image

"An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

#75 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 07:27 PM

I'm sorry, but I don't see the problem. Looks like you're taking one issue and blowing it out of proportions a bit :santa:
Here are the facts:
- The new site works perfectly in modern alternative browsers (except for lack of shadows in Opera, hardly a site-killer).
- It works nearly as well in IE 8 (except for slowness which is just what IE is). I even added some hacks to make it so.
- It looks a bit weird but otherwise works ok in IE 7 (had to change the main menu code to make it work).
- For the forums, those who have problems can switch back to Revora Main. For them, nothing will simply have changed. :santah:

So what problems are there?
- It sucks of course in IE6, but I do hope you understand supporting that ancient brick is a waste of everybody's time.
- It looks a bit weird in IE7, but there are few users of that and they are rapidly going to 8 anyway.
- I do recognize that text cursor bug, but really have no idea what could cause that. It's mostly a problem in the forum though and there you can use the other skin.

Cool down everybody, it's not like we're actively blocking IE users :p
(oh, and don't respond seriously to what was obviously a joke. there, i've added a smiley to make it clear :santa:)

MS is improving IE, and you better take notice and adjust your attitude to it

If they really are improving it (good for them), then in IE9 or later the site should work fine without needing any changes on our side. Once again, not actively blocking IE.

#76 Solinx

Solinx

• Undead
  • 3,101 posts
  • Projects:Real Life
  • Job:Retired Leader / Manager

Posted 05 December 2009 - 09:55 PM

Considering all the "We don't really support IE" stuff and negative IE comments shown previously in this topic, the joke was not quite obvious without that smiley.
It did in fact look very much like a serious statement to me, a shocking but serious statement, and by his post you can clearly see Destroyer thought the same about it.

And that one misunderstood statement makes all the previous comments about IE look all the more worse.
So, from the perspective that it was all indeed serious, would you still say our reactions are blown out of proportion?
You'd maybe not be ignoring every 1 out of 4 of revora's visitors, but you'd not actively be doing anything for them either.

Anyway, you are doing things for them, so all is well. You've not lost your mind afterall :p
Just remember to add a smiley next time you make such an *obvious* joke...

Cheers,
Solinx
Posted Image

"An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

#77 Hostile

Hostile

Benefitting Humanity Simply by Showing Up!

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Job:Global Administrator
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 05 December 2009 - 11:45 PM

I just think when someone who is new has a bad experience they leave. When someone who is new to the site sees this:

This site looks bad and works less in Internet Explorer. Get a real browser instead.

Than they are an idiot for using IE and see you later. A lot of people use IE.

There is one person who can fire everyone in the company from the President on down, and that is the consumer by taking their business elsewhere. ~President of Walmart

#78 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 12:08 AM

Alright, I guess I can make that message friendlier.

#79 Hostile

Hostile

Benefitting Humanity Simply by Showing Up!

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Job:Global Administrator
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 06 December 2009 - 12:27 AM

Best Viewed in "insert best browser for the site"

#80 Phil

Phil

Force Majeure

• Network Leaders
  • 7,976 posts
  • Projects:Revora, C&C:Online
  •  Thought Police
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 06 December 2009 - 10:16 PM

I think the current wording is fine. If the site works in IE8 and is somewhat usable in IE7 while it's fine in all other major browsers, that's good. Obviously we shouldn't scare away people because they use Internet Explorer but Bart does have a point. We're in a segment where we can expect that people run a fairly recent version of their browser.

I really like the site as it looks now. Good work. The skin needs some more effort but I'll post that in the other topic.

revorapresident.jpg
My Political Compass

Sieben Elefanten hatte Herr Dschin
Und da war dann noch der achte.
Sieben waren wild und der achte war zahm
Und der achte war's, der sie bewachte.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users