96 replies to this topic

#81 Jeeves

Jeeves

I write the interwebz

• Members
  • 4,156 posts
  •  Friendly neighborhood standards Nazi

Posted 06 December 2009 - 10:44 PM

Btw Jeeves, if Firefox is as standards compliant as your cat, what is IE? Firefox may not quite be at the level of Opera and Webkit, but it's still pretty good (92% of the Acid3 test, it passes Acid2, and is implementing several CSS3 features).

@M@TT: IE is my bitch, it can run about sometimes but only on a very tight lead. And its great that FF has finally noticed ACID3 exists. Presto and Webkit may have passed dev builds in two weeks, but its nice that after over a year FF is willing to publicly acknowledge it. But thats not my problem, all browsers are constantly improving, even with 100% on ACID3 webkit admits its SVG support is minimal and operating as a testbed for concept specifications. Opera is largely focused on testing their new rendering engine, which was finished before 10 was even released but Opera have more rigorous quality control than most armies.
The fact FF is implementing CSS3 features is partly my issue with it; they should be fixing their existing technology support rather than chunking in new specifications that haven't been released yet. They need to get over their attitude as the cool new kid and instead of showing off the lastest shiney should be working on becoming responsible software vendors. I really don't care that FF3.5 included <video>, because since nothing else does, its only useful as a fallback for object, which after being in the specs for over a decade is supported properly by every browser - except FF. So clearly they can code such features in, they just can't be bothered. What irks me most, is that FF3.5 was packed full of vulnerabilities and loopholes that had been submitted to their SVN by malicious programmers, and nobody took them out. Same story with 3.5.1, which is why 3.5.2 was out a couple of days after the initial launch.
NOBODY should ever release code without checking it first. Whether they have <video> or not. Automatically updating millions of clients to include severe security problems is just unacceptable, whether they had <video> or not. If IE had done the same you'd never hear the end of it and they'd probably never get out of court.

@Hostile: you had better be joking...

And IE8 support should be a breeze, you could just use display: table if you feeling lazy. But avoid hacks for non-legacy browsers because if it works now without a hitch next one should work too, so IE8 support should be a priority to lower the maintenance requirements in the future.
I'm being told to use display: table AND make it work in IE6, thats a big issue, and costing the client thousands. IE8 passes ACID2, thus the box model and base layout model work. Its really that simple.

After that, just resort to progressive enhancement, the ideology that a page should look the same is nonsensical, the only real option is to go for a "functional" approach, don't try to make it look the same, just try to make it work and look ok. The universal IE6 stylesheet is a perfect example, content should always go above presentation, so just enhance your presentation where the technology is supported.

World Domination Status: 2.7%

#82 Destroyer

Destroyer

Byte me

• Members
  • 2,305 posts
  • Projects:Having fun
  •  Just this guy, you know?

Posted 06 December 2009 - 10:57 PM

I think the current wording is fine. If the site works in IE8 and is somewhat usable in IE7 while it's fine in all other major browsers, that's good. Obviously we shouldn't scare away people because they use Internet Explorer but Bart does have a point. We're in a segment where we can expect that people run a fairly recent version of their browser.

I really like the site as it looks now. Good work. The skin needs some more effort but I'll post that in the other topic.

IE7 should be 100% supported until IE8 is a mandatory update. At the moment people can happily run IE7 without knowing it's an update, so they should be supported.

IE6 can go fuck itself. With a rake.

#83 Phil

Phil

Force Majeure

• Network Leaders
  • 7,976 posts
  • Projects:Revora, C&C:Online
  •  Thought Police
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Network Leader
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 06 December 2009 - 11:02 PM

Making it look 100% perfect in IE7 is illusional and simply not worth the effort. The goal is to make the site functional so people can get to the content and don't close the window because it looks so ugly.

revorapresident.jpg
My Political Compass

Sieben Elefanten hatte Herr Dschin
Und da war dann noch der achte.
Sieben waren wild und der achte war zahm
Und der achte war's, der sie bewachte.

#84 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts
  • Job:Network Leader

Posted 06 December 2009 - 11:57 PM

After that, just resort to progressive enhancement, the ideology that a page should look the same is nonsensical, the only real option is to go for a "functional" approach, don't try to make it look the same, just try to make it work and look ok. The universal IE6 stylesheet is a perfect example, content should always go above presentation, so just enhance your presentation where the technology is supported.

I agree. http://dowebsitesnee...erybrowser.com/
bartvh | Join me, make your signature small!
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#85 Jeeves

Jeeves

I write the interwebz

• Members
  • 4,156 posts
  •  Friendly neighborhood standards Nazi

Posted 07 December 2009 - 01:38 AM

Haha, love that link

World Domination Status: 2.7%

#86 partyzanPaulZy

partyzanPaulZy

"quarawr!"

• Members
  • 576 posts
  • Projects:Corruption Of Power - YR mod
  •  doing my mod alone till 1st release (then will see)

Posted 08 December 2009 - 06:02 PM

IMHO: header is too big, with big letters, those buttons are TOO BIG and it's too stretched on length, but too thin on width (10% space on the horizontal axes gets wasted)...

it's like when you write:

blah bleh()
{
  //blahblahblah
  blahblahblah;

}

instead of:
blah bleh () {
  blahblahblah; //blahblah
}

some people like first version, some second

Anyway, it's not bad.
Posted Image
"Soviet Union was a superpower and each superpower needs at least 1 war at 5 years to keep army in a good condition." ... my grandpa. USA create wars more frequently.

#87 Jamesgag

Jamesgag
  • Banned
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 07:05 AM

Im not sure if this is true or not, but if Olivia were related somehow to Nina it would give her more reason to be there. At the moment she is too much on the sidelines.

#88 Jamesgag

Jamesgag
  • Banned
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 07:21 AM

Ana,

First of all, theres a bloons blast forum here that you may want to try posting in. Second, Ive never encountered a game that stopped. Is it possibly your internet service or your browser?

#89 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  • Projects:Writing Words With Letters
  •  I Help
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Community Admin

Posted 22 May 2017 - 08:53 AM

200_s.gif?response_id=5920d33d343aa2adf0

#90 PurpleGaga27

PurpleGaga27

Retired C&C Modder

• Members
  • 2,186 posts
  •  Media Division Top Contributer

Posted 23 May 2017 - 03:51 AM

Looks like someone necroposted an old thread 8 years ago.

#91 Banshee

Banshee

One Vision, One Purpose!

• Network Admins
  • 9,045 posts
  • Projects:PPM, PPM: Final Dawn, OS SHP Builder, OS Palette Editor, OS W3D Viewer, VXLSE III, etc...
  •  Retired Network Leader
  • Job:Maintenance Admin

Posted 23 May 2017 - 04:19 PM

Looks like a bot, if you take into account the contents of the replies.

Project Perfect Mod

Command & Conquer Mods, Mods Support, Public Researchs, Map Archives, Tutorials, Tools, A Friendly Community and much more. Check it out now!

Posted Image

#92 ToxicShock

ToxicShock

Gamereplays.org Staff

• Division Leaders
  • 9,685 posts
  • Projects:Shatabrick C&C Player Database
  •  I have blue text?
  • Division:C&C:Online
  • Job:C&C:Online Leader

Posted 03 June 2017 - 09:41 AM

Google the IP and Reg email.     It is, indeed, a bot.   I have disabled the account.   

Gamereplays.org staff - Shatabrick admin.

#93 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 03 June 2017 - 02:57 PM

Strange bot.  It made a post about half a month ago that just said "Testing.  Ok, bye."  

#94 HugoMorris

HugoMorris
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 09:34 AM

That's a point

#95 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 15 December 2018 - 05:11 PM

Thank you.

#96 spiderDup

spiderDup
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 07:42 AM

hiiiiiii i am spider from Arg. I would to ask you what kind of games do you like playing?? My favourite games is diablo rpg

#97 ThomasQuicy

ThomasQuicy
  • New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 April 2022 - 04:13 AM

Test. I'm new to this forum, what should I do to be helpful? 882c70aac35b32a2629d8c564fd9892a.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users