#61 Downfall

Downfall

Scenarist

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  There is one?

Posted 01 February 2010 - 06:02 AM

Ah, nothing like a joke taken seriously :p

I never took it seriously. It is just I want to pick a colour that fits how I am going to dress for the day. Pink and blue go well with my skin tone and eye colour; so it doesn't matter to me. I guess that isn't very masculine of me in today's American way of thinking. ;)

And what does masculinity prove other than one's inability to be comfortable with one's self. So they have to "prove" themselves to tohers on how masculine they are.
"Human beings make strange fauna and flora. From a distance they appear negligible; up close they are apt to appear ugly and malicious."
Henry Miller, Tropic of Cancer

Posted Image

Posted Image

#62 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts
  • Projects:Workin'...
  •  ...like a workin' man do.
  • Division:Role-Playing Games
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 01 February 2010 - 10:38 AM

Damn right. I have the Alphabet of Manliness on my bookshelf. :p

Tell me you have the extended edition with the Numbers of Manliness. ;)

I seem to have missed this... *goes a-searching*

And what does masculinity prove other than one's inability to be comfortable with one's self. So they have to "prove" themselves to tohers on how masculine they are.

That's a stupid opinion. What if somebody's just really manly? Like an SAS guy? Or the aforementioned monster truck-driving, steak sandwich eating, orgy-engaging, metal-blasting lumberjack? That's just the way they are, they're not trying to prove anything. Sure, if I were to suddenly start spitting and punchin' animals, that would be a little unusual because I'm not that kind of person, but some people just are. You can't deny that. It doesn't mean they're all hopelessly insecure about who they are.
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#63 Downfall

Downfall

Scenarist

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  There is one?

Posted 01 February 2010 - 04:45 PM

That's a stupid opinion. What if somebody's just really manly? Like an SAS guy? Or the aforementioned monster truck-driving, steak sandwich eating, orgy-engaging, metal-blasting lumberjack? That's just the way they are, they're not trying to prove anything. Sure, if I were to suddenly start spitting and punchin' animals, that would be a little unusual because I'm not that kind of person, but some people just are. You can't deny that. It doesn't mean they're all hopelessly insecure about who they are.

Your right my wording was a bit off. I should have said people trying to prove that they are masculine.

How do any of things fall under masculine? Because they are dangerous, colon clogging, disease possible, deafening? :p

And what does one achieve by being masculine or feminine for that matter? Seems like you have a secret agenda afoot ;)
"Human beings make strange fauna and flora. From a distance they appear negligible; up close they are apt to appear ugly and malicious."
Henry Miller, Tropic of Cancer

Posted Image

Posted Image

#64 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts
  • Projects:Workin'...
  •  ...like a workin' man do.
  • Division:Role-Playing Games
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 01 February 2010 - 04:56 PM

You're right, I do. I plan to make everyone a little bit more manly by explaining what extreme manliness is like. Although you're still off. Some people don't try to prove how manly they are, they're just like that. It's not to prove anything, it's just the way they are. That's the point I was making.

How do any of things fall under masculine? Because they are dangerous, colon clogging, disease possible, deafening?

Yes, exactly. I'm glad you understand.
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#65 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

I've had this avatar since... 2003?

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Artist

Posted 02 February 2010 - 02:26 PM

I'd say there would be three lines of masculinity/femininity. physical and psychological, and perhaps even social as a third.

So, that would give you; Biological sex, Physical M/F, Psychological M/F, Social M/F, and Sexual orientation.

I'll list my attributes in that system.

Biological: male, no doctor has put that up to court.

Physical M/F: 8/10 macho. larger than average stature, both in height and girth. I'm not a bodybuilder-lumberjack or a flawless example of a statuesque Übermench. But I'm far from feminine in my physical traits, well, not beyond a small nose.

Psychological M/F: 6/10 macho. If not less, depending on your definition of what a proper man should be interested in. I like to think and plan, I hate boring repetitive jobs, I'm not much of a fan of physical labour or activities. on the other side; I like technology, 3d, scripting, mathematics, working on big projects. I'm also relatively introspective, I get mentally tired of social situations that lasts more than 4-6 hours unless it is about something heavily interested in, because you have to dance that "lets get along even if we don't and not step in any salads" dance.

Social M/F: 6/10 Macho. I dunno, i think most males are stuck here . There's not alot of manly jobs these days. What is expected of a male in today's society? Get a job, earn money, go out with your friends on social occasions, help your wife, build a family, help family in need. that sort of stuff. Most of these don't really apply to me yet, the ones who do are still in a fledgling state(job). The problem here is that femininity's questions are pretty much the same. There are still certain sub-laws or ethics that linger. Like the woman staying at home for a few years while watching the kids, taking care of the house and all that. But today you can change those around.

Sexuality: 9/10 straight. Saying you are 10/10 straight would be interesting, but I don't think it would be healthy for your head. What your conscious self says is not the same as what the brain says and all that.

After this little experiment of mine, I doubt this would be useful for anything professional. People have different opinions on what defines a socially feminine trait or a psychological masculine trait, physical definition is possible(we can agree on certain physical differences as macho/femi, breasts, hip-curves, shoulder-width, stature etc. etc. ), and a combination of social and psychological can work, but you need to have a common attitude to what's socially/psychologically masculine and feminine. Which in the modern equal-rights world is quite hard to find without getting accused of being a bigot :good:

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#66 NewErr

NewErr

Elf-friend

• Project Team
  • 2,177 posts
  • Projects:Wars of The Firstborn
  •  World Wide Artist

Posted 04 February 2010 - 09:48 AM

Sexuality: 9/10 straight. Saying you are 10/10 straight would be interesting, but I don't think it would be healthy for your head. What your conscious self says is not the same as what the brain says and all that.

What to see that guy that gives less then 8 . :wacko: .I think I'm 8/10 hm really ... can i get a +1 if i like lesbians? ^_^

#67 Radspakr Wolfbane

Radspakr Wolfbane

The John Farnham of modding

• Members
  • 7,722 posts
  • Projects:Comeback tour
  •  The Retired Beard

Posted 04 February 2010 - 12:58 PM

I'd say you guys are reading too much into things.
We are who we are no more,no less.

Break dancing into the hearts of millions

#68 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 02:58 PM

True enough, but I find it wise to make a point out of something that usually is suppressed. If you just walk around and never talk nor think about it, then not much happens.

... can i get a +1 if i like lesbians? :wacko:

Only if I get a +1 for breathing, or eating or something basic ^_^

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#69 Spectre

Spectre

Rampant AI

• Hosted
  • 1,240 posts
  • Projects:Worldbuilding
  •  The Undead

Posted 14 February 2010 - 07:45 AM

Far Left 'Male' Anatomy for Biological Sexuality, near middle to centre-left on Social Construction of roles and values, and The very middle - Bisexual, on Sexual Orientation.

Sorry if anyone is offended, but I find it rather hard for a woman to join Revora unless she is cynical or just oblivious to how we run things around Revora.

#70 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 01:40 PM

I'd wager that any web-forum can be hard for a female, as it has been a boys-club for 20 years and a certain culture has grown up around it. I'd say the majority of people on Revora doesn't make a fuzz out of a woman on a forum if she socially proves herself the same way that we prove ourselves. Which is pretty much how real life works.

Edited by duke_Qa, 14 February 2010 - 01:41 PM.

#71 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  • Projects:Writing Words With Letters
  •  I Help
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Community Admin

Posted 14 February 2010 - 07:48 PM

We discriminate against woman, bots, and gays... I'm surprised we have any variety.

#72 partyzanPaulZy

partyzanPaulZy

"quarawr!"

• Members
  • 576 posts
  • Projects:Corruption Of Power - YR mod
  •  doing my mod alone till 1st release (then will see)

Posted 16 February 2010 - 12:28 AM

huh?! I'm not here for a while and there is another weird topic...
it reminds me this topic: [url="http://brain%20"SEX%20ID"%20topic%20on%20Shockwave%20Forums"]http://forums.swr-productions.com/index.php?showtopic=1539[/url]
with link on that test from BBC http://www.bbc.co.uk.../add_user.shtml

According that test where with range 100F..100M I was on 25M while most men are on 50M...
However I wasn't focused enough on that quick quizz about logical part 17/20, word association ended in some 12/20, index/ring finger ratio 1.01...
overall I saw this test to be leaky as sieve... and simplified like flyer from Göebells.
I know I can work with both hands, I use both brain hemispheres almost equally (maybe with slight dominance of the left half of the brain),
but what has this thing have to do with male/female brain? :)
Well that part about feelings... yes, I have some level of empathy, I sence some feelings when I watch some movie... I can watch movie where is some romance present, however there is some line where it's getting boring and I am not girly so I don't cry where I see something too moving or drastic. I quite enjoyed even those mindless B movies like The Hills Have Eyes or Kill Bill although Inglorious Basterds where better. I wouldn't have problem to draw a chicken or any other animal, but I would feel really sad or angry if I had to see some cruelties you can see on some sites in sections with "sick and abominations"... probably terrified (and angry) if I had to be the victim.

I will conclude this in way similar to the duke_Qa:

Biological sex: MALE, cross-dressing impossible due to primary(:o}) and secondary sexual signs (masculine bones, easilly visible hairs, strong facial hairs x dense brown hair, longer eyelashes, that weird finger ratio)

Physical M/F: 8/10 male, 2 years ago I was on summer job where I was helping bricklayers to get some money (520€) on laptop, since that I have slightly stronger arms. I travel home every weekend so I have to carry around 20kg there and back (laptop in the bag on the back, clothes in one hand, food from home in another), around 2 hours per week, I don't use public transport if I had to walk less than 20-30 minutes... I'm not bodybuilder, I cannot jack up horses like one of my grand grandfathers, however I can travel long by my own (or on bike if I had new one), I can paddle well,
I can lift 80kg lying on back, but I have problems to draw myself up... also I have slight excess weight.

Psychological and Social M/F: 7/10 male, I also hate some repetetive jobs (mostly things like weeding, roboting like robot, dish washing, ...), however generally I can stand physical work (including digging, except digging of my own grave)... but I would like to work in IT since it's mostly about using logical circuits in the brain while working with artificial logical circuits... maybe programming, maybe 3D/2D graphics, maybe I would just help printing some bones (if I get over current problems in school and get into that research). I could lost in infinite loop if I tried solve question if programmer(or anyone other from IT) is macho:
First Programmer was Augusta Ada King, Countess of Lovelace (born Byron), woman, Alan Turing was gay, however when I look from the point of quantity:
IT's man's job unlike feminime army... :)
I was never much into sports, but I like to have short match in football (not American Football either Rugby), I like books (sci-fi, fantasy, "documentary", comics or even some manga), I like to play PC game of practically any genre.

I don't like buying new clothes, it's like when I need new shoes: not girly, must remain in one piece for few years
I can't imagine putting on me something girly or something what would make me look like "shampoo guy" ("metrosexual"),
hip hop either techno...

Well this is hard to define sole Social M/F sex, I don't drink my brain out in a pub, I practically don't see any other friends than classmates, school keeps me busy during year so there isn't much space for anything else.

Sexual Orientation: Clearly heterosexual male (9/10), only girls which are old enough are attractive to me, damn, I still regret I haven't asked for phone number of that chick I met in the train last thursday...

PS: I am tired... ;)

Edited by partyzanPaulZy, 16 February 2010 - 12:30 AM.

Posted Image
"Soviet Union was a superpower and each superpower needs at least 1 war at 5 years to keep army in a good condition." ... my grandpa. USA create wars more frequently.

#73 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  • Projects:Writing Words With Letters
  •  I Help
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Community Admin

Posted 16 February 2010 - 06:29 AM

Oh. Ok.

#74 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 10:20 AM

Hehe, when you are tired you usually get some interesting answers out of your head. Social defences being low and giving you a "I don't give a damn" mentality. Around 4am when I'm driving home people from parties is where i can start scaring people with dark philosophies of life.

A 7 on the social/psychological M/F eh. Even though you are pretty much the spitting image of my attitudes :). All in all I define people who work as carpenters and other averagely physical jobs as 7 on the macho scale. 8 is for more extreme physical jobs like firemen or riot police. 9 would probably be body-builders from hell/martial artists that does it for a living, and 10 would be special forces/assassins of a very physical sort.

#75 partyzanPaulZy

partyzanPaulZy

"quarawr!"

• Members
  • 576 posts
  • Projects:Corruption Of Power - YR mod
  •  doing my mod alone till 1st release (then will see)

Posted 17 February 2010 - 07:04 PM

Well it's not constant, but I started doing Karate, currently it's rather like 6.5 however it's just insufficient stamina in my arms. :p
Posted Image
"Soviet Union was a superpower and each superpower needs at least 1 war at 5 years to keep army in a good condition." ... my grandpa. USA create wars more frequently.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users