Photo

13 January, 2011 - The Peloponnesian Wars Update.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Leader

Posted 12 January 2011 - 11:07 PM

Posted Image

Thanks for checking us out again here at The Peloponnesian Wars! This time, I'm showcasing a few of the buildings available to Sparta - the Agoge, Smithy, and Keep. Firstly, I'll elaborate on the Agoge, Sparta's unit-producing building.

Posted Image
A detailed render of the Agoge structure, which has gone through many stages of development to get where it is now!

Historically, the Agoge was the process of training Spartan-born men to become the most feared, battle-ready army in Greece. Besides war-craft, they were taught loyalty, social preparation, singing, quick-thinking (thus, how they were able to cultivate so many great one-liners!) and other skills that were deemed necessary in life. In TPW, the Agoge will be represented by this unit-producing structure. Like all of their buildings, it is large and will likely take up a lot of space in your area of control. The main four infantry units for Sparta - the Hopilitai, the Ekdromoi, the Peltastati, and the Lochagos - will all be recruited from here. Due to Sparta's state-funded military and large Helot population, the Hopilitai and Peltastati will be available from a Rank One Agoge. Ekdromoi will be available at Rank Two, and Lochagos at Rank Three.

Posted ImagePosted Image
An ingame shot of the Agoge, complete with two-dimensional art; also, the Smithy.

Secondly, the Smithy. In TPW, the Smithy will fulfill several purposes - to slowly generate resources, provide discount to certain aspects, and most importantly, to upgrade units. There are two kinds of upgrades in TPW: offensive and defensive. Offensive upgrades are typically weapons-related, while defensive upgrades are armour-related. Here are lists of both:

Offensive
  • Xiphos. Available for Hopilitai. Switches the Hopilitai from using spears to swords.
  • Sarouter. Available for Hopilitai and Ekdromoi. Increases damage output of spear-wielding units.
  • Kopis. Available for Peltastati. Gives the Peltastati a sword to use in melee combat - not by toggling, but using it automatically when attacked.
  • Amentum. Available for Peltastati. Overall stat boost to the javelins used by Peltastati.
Defensive
  • Linothorax. Available for Hopilitai. Armour upgrade.
  • Skirmisher's Armour. Available for Peltastati. Armour upgrade.
  • Officers. Available to all infantry. Upgrades the units to Rank Two.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Two renders, one of the Smithy and another of the Keep.

And now we have the Keep. Unlike other real-time-strategy games and mods, tower structures in TPW will be few in number and more used to maintain control of the outskirts of one's territory rather than being a viable defense in themselves. However, they'll be a formidable enemy to take on due to high hit-points and good range of the units housed inside of them. There will be a handful of defenders inside of a Keep.

Posted ImagePosted Image
An ingame shot of a Spartan Keep maintaining watch on the borders of their control. And of course, no update would be complete without a teaser for a later one.

---

Thanks for reading! Feel free to leave any comments in the section below.

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#2 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  • Projects:It'sa secreeet
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Expert
  • Donated

Posted 13 January 2011 - 12:18 AM

Also, keep your eyes peeled on our ModDB page for updates and screenshots!

https://www.twitch.tv/vileartist - Yes shameless self-promotion

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Old modders never die, they just fade away" ~ Hostile

#3 Elvenlord

Elvenlord

Polis Ranger

• Advisors
  • 3,838 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 13 January 2011 - 12:26 AM

Oh jesus. I am going to have to get bfme2. God damnit matias and team.

:p

elvenlordbanner.jpg

#4 Gfire

Gfire

Nuju

• Project Team
  • 2,173 posts
  • Projects:Finding My Way
  •  The Perfectionist

Posted 13 January 2011 - 12:26 AM

Looks very good.

Although, not exactly the same style as the terrain... I think it's well-done, it just doesn't quite fit. Perhaps the terrain textures need to be simlified in some way in order to fit in. That's a lot of work, though.
Greetings, community.

#5 _Haldir_

_Haldir_

Mapper

• Project Team
  • 1,203 posts
  • Projects:The Dwarf Holds, The Elven Alliance: Community Edition
  •  T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 13 January 2011 - 12:36 AM

Brilliant as always :p

Posted Image Posted Image

#6 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts
  • Projects:The Peloponnesian Wars Mod.
  •  There are no heroes, no villains - only decisions.
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Global Moderator

Posted 13 January 2011 - 03:24 AM

Thanks for the compliments everyone!

#7 Allathar

Allathar

これを翻訳する

• Project Team
  • 2,752 posts
  • Projects:RJ-RotWK
  •  Greedy capitalist and cynical bastard.

Posted 13 January 2011 - 11:28 AM

Looking great :p Wondering, though, how are you implementing the scale of units and buildings? Obviously it looks like it'll be more realistic than BfME2, but I wonder how that will work out with basebuilding? Some buildings will take in a lot of space then, so unless the units are getting scaled down, you'll quickly run out of space.
It has been reported that some victims of rape, during the act, would retreat into a fantasy world from which they could not WAKE UP. In this catatonic state, the victim lived in a world just like their normal one, except they weren't being raped. The only way that they realized they needed to WAKE UP was a note they found in their fantasy world. It would tell them about their condition, and tell them to WAKE UP. Even then, it would often take months until they were ready to discard their fantasy world and PLEASE WAKE UP

#8 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Leader

Posted 13 January 2011 - 12:33 PM

We're increasing zoom distance. :p

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#9 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts
  • Projects:The Peloponnesian Wars Mod.
  •  There are no heroes, no villains - only decisions.
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Global Moderator

Posted 13 January 2011 - 03:25 PM

Additionally, things will be both smaller- and larger-scale than vanilla BFME :p It'll make sense in due time, trust me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users