26 replies to this topic

#21 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts
  •  Weird Guy of the Forums

Posted 19 August 2011 - 07:02 AM

would evolution not depend upon the species? charmaders in cocoons just sounds ridiculous to me cause they're most like reptiles.

I'd expect that pokemons would act most like their perspective real life counterparts when it came to 'evolving'. Mammalians growing to maturity, insects making caccons and such, and so on.

Another thing to consider though, what about the non-animal like pokemons? are we just to assume mad scientists are quite common in this world so the mechanical or even genetic horrors that seem so cute when rendered in pokemons style are therefore passable?

also, relevant:
nightmareish pokemon:
http://i.imgur.com/lCcyg.png

3 galleries that have realistic pokemons:
http://realisticpoke...rt.com/gallery/
http://poke-realism....rt.com/gallery/
http://pokemonfreaks...132505&offset=0

You have to look around a little to find the really good ones.

I'd post up some highlights that i found, but unfortunately the image tags are being a dick and for some reason won't let me resize them to a reasonable size.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" -Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Posted Image|Posted Image
Posted Image

#22 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts
  • Projects:Workin'...
  •  ...like a workin' man do.
  • Division:Role-Playing Games
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 19 August 2011 - 04:04 PM

I'd prefer to just ignore the weird ones like voltorbs and porygons, but I'd quite like to have magnemites around and about. As I mentioned in a previous post, steel pokemon would have a ferrous exo-skeleton surrounding a carboniferous organism, so that'd be possible. Moreover, they would be able to levitate by electro-magnetic forces which I don't really understand, so that solves the problem of how they could possibly move. :) (On a related note, I'm still working on a theory for koffings and weezings. I'll get something good sooner or later.)
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#23 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 20 August 2011 - 04:03 AM

Realism and Japan don't mix. Like... ever. XD

NZ.org | BBPCG
Discord: The Astronomer#1314
Steam

#24 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts
  •  Weird Guy of the Forums

Posted 20 August 2011 - 04:40 AM

I'd prefer to just ignore the weird ones like voltorbs and porygons, but I'd quite like to have magnemites around and about. As I mentioned in a previous post, steel pokemon would have a ferrous exo-skeleton surrounding a carboniferous organism, so that'd be possible. Moreover, they would be able to levitate by electro-magnetic forces which I don't really understand, so that solves the problem of how they could possibly move. :) (On a related note, I'm still working on a theory for koffings and weezings. I'll get something good sooner or later.)

but the weird ones are cool :(
I was actually really getting into the idea of there being some 'wicked science' going on.
The way i imaged it some of the more artificial seeming pokemon could actually have be 'weapons', both mechanical and/or biological, created by various organisations like team rocket.

Pokemon mindfucks are actually tying in really well with all this XD. Like the one about pokemon actually being set after a war.

That being the case pokemon like magnemite could have been developed for a war effort, disabling enemy electronics with EM fields and scrabling guided missle systems, Voltorbs rolling under tanks and detonating their tank-busting payload, and so on.
I mean, those pokemon could be serious powerful weapons (i keep imagining that X men scene where magneto pulls all the pins from the soliders grenades, except replace magneto with a magneton).

Polygon is apparently digital, made from a computer program by Silph Co.("It is capable of reverting itself entirely back to program data in order to enter cyberspace. A Porygon is copy-protected so it cannot be duplicated." wiki), so it may have been developed to hack into enemy computer systems and steal intelligence or cripple their system.

and koffings and weezings as you mentioned are another great possible 'artifical pokemon weapon', a biological creation designed as a living toxin factory, poison gas has many uses after all. Slipping a koffing past the enemy line, having it hide in the vents of their command centre and pump toxin gas throughtout the whole complex, killing the enemies commanding officers, or use them to drive enemies out of a fortified position.

Most of these are sounding quite diabolical actually :X

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" -Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Posted Image

#25 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 07:41 AM

SWG: Now that you put it like that... That would explain why both voltorbs and koffings learn Selfdestruct. (I hate that move.) Alright, I'll consider that option. That's pretty good. Oh, and I don't know if you realise, but pokemon is set after a war. Lt. Surge mentions it when you fight him.

Fen: it's not going to be set in Japan. We're just taking an idea that happens to have begun in Japan. I see no reason why that shouldn't work.
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#26 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts
  • Projects:The Peloponnesian Wars Mod.
  •  There are no heroes, no villains - only decisions.
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Global Moderator

Posted 20 August 2011 - 02:49 PM

Hey Vort, want me to merge the related posts with the other topic so we aren't having two different conversations?

#27 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 03:02 PM

No, it's all right. I shall now close this topic and all further discussion of pokemon-related themes shall take place in t'other thread. Agreed? Yes? Excellent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users