#82 evilbobthebob

evilbobthebob

evilbobthemapper

• Project Team
  • 2,304 posts
  • Projects:Phoenix Rising Maps
  •  Phoenix Rising Mapping Lead

Posted 11 June 2013 - 12:30 PM

I think I am most glad that they trailed it using the battle of Hoth and not something from the Clone Wars. Hopefully suggests that's more of their focus. Since it'll probably just be a reskinned Battlefield 3/4 it's somewhat difficult for them to fuck it up completely. Other good thing about Dice: they do sound REALLY well. Destructible structures like BF3 would be nice too.

Phoenix Rising, head of mapping. Thanks to everyone who got us to the position below!
Posted Image

#83 P.O._210877

P.O._210877

Traveller in the Balance

• Project Team
  • 796 posts
  • Location:L'Épiphanie, Québec (Fédération canadienne du Royaume du Canada)
  • Projects:Phoenix Rising
  •  Tester/Translator/Resident SW Loremaster (self proclaimed)

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:27 PM

Since it'll probably just be a reskinned Battlefield 3/4

If that's the case they better be the best skins they ever made!

If it's hard then it's worth doing.

- Alcor, Alcor pardonne-moi mais je ne veux pas que tu meurs. Je ne veux
pas que la planète bleue soit mise à feu et à sang par ces monstres. Je
me battrai pour les empêcher de détruire ce qui est devenue ma Terre.
Goldorak m'aidera. Au besoin, j'irai jusqu'au camp de la Lune Noire
puisque c'est là que Véga et ses monstres ont établi leur base. Et je la
détruirai.

Actarus

#84 a.fake.name

a.fake.name

title available

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:25 PM

Shame Star Wars can't even make it's games from scratch anymore, I'd much rather a custom engine built for Star wars than what is in essence a corporate mod.

Playing PR when stoned is awesome

#85 smashedsaturn

smashedsaturn
  • Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:04 PM

Shame Star Wars can't even make it's games from scratch anymore, I'd much rather a custom engine built for Star wars than what is in essence a corporate mod.

Ever play Galactic Battlegrounds? It was just a reskined AOEII game, it was a great game, but it's not like they never did this before. I have hope. 

#86 Madurai

Madurai
  • Project Team
  • 155 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:45 PM

I'd like to see a version where one blaster bolt can kill a player--and not just a headshot from a sniper.

Edited by Madurai, 11 June 2013 - 07:46 PM.

#87 evilbobthebob

evilbobthebob

evilbobthemapper

• Project Team
  • 2,304 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:48 PM

Well if DIce are involved, I'd expect low time-to-kill just like in Battlefield. You don't want ARMA levels of instadeath though; that makes disorganised multiplayer much less fun.

Phoenix Rising, head of mapping. Thanks to everyone who got us to the position below!
Posted Image

#88 Madurai

Madurai
  • Project Team
  • 155 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:15 PM

Disorganized multiplayer is a disease for which there is no cure.

#89 a.fake.name

a.fake.name

title available

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:20 AM

Well if DIce are involved, I'd expect low time-to-kill just like in Battlefield. You don't want ARMA levels of instadeath though; that makes disorganised multiplayer much less fun.

Actually, OFP style damage realism (what ArmA is based on)  is quite fun, and inspires the players to actually try harder to not get killed. Combine it with the armor actually being of use (IE: takes a few hits to one area) and you got some fun.

#90 evilbobthebob

evilbobthebob

evilbobthemapper

• Project Team
  • 2,304 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:36 AM

Well whatever our opinions on it (I personally have played ARMA in organised multiplayer so I know it can be a lot of fun, I just don't think it'd fit a Battlefront game) I doubt Dice will do much to alter the lethality from their major shooters. It sells, and that's what matters at the end of the day.

Posted Image

#91 abesinay

abesinay
  • Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:48 AM

It will be interesting to see how they incorporate land, air, and sea vehicle combat. They've had great success with real world renders, but how they'll go about designing tie fighters and x-wing controls will be something to see.

#92 SpardaSon21

SpardaSon21

title available

• Members
  • 332 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:07 AM

Especially when one considers hover capabilities thanks to repulsorlift coils.  Talk about multi-role versatility on the X-Wing with lasers, torpedoes, and the ability to stop dead, hover, and provide some very close air support.

#93 a.fake.name

a.fake.name

title available

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:05 PM

Ever play Galactic Battlegrounds? It was just a reskined AOEII game, it was a great game, but it's not like they never did this before. I have hope. 

Also have the clone wars expansion for it.

Personally I thought it was a rather medicore game myself, and very light on continuity, or common fucking sense in it's design.

Key example: You upgrade your storm troopers, and suddenly you build nothing but guys with E-Web repeating blasters, mounted on a tripod, and thats what all your ground soldiers consist of.

I'd like to see a version where one blaster bolt can kill a player--and not just a headshot from a sniper.

Either get Operation Flashpoint, or one of it's spinoffs such as ArmA, and then find star wars mods.

It's literally that simple.

Plus the benefit there is that the engine is designed for that level of realism, more or less.

It will be interesting to see how they incorporate land, air, and sea vehicle combat. They've had great success with real world renders, but how they'll go about designing tie fighters and x-wing controls will be something to see.

And THAT is why I've always disliked the series (despite owning the games), the flight controls are utterly stupid.

After all the detail and what not we had with the Xwing series, the first Battlefront was really the first non-Xwing series game to have much star wars flying in it....... and they totally screwed the pooch.

I hope they bother to get it right... maybe even actually hire some continuity people (whose voices actually matter), and make a GOOD star wars game.

That said, I ain't holding my breath.

#94 abesinay

abesinay
  • Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:55 AM

They'll nail it.

#95 P.O._210877

P.O._210877

Traveller in the Balance

• Project Team
  • 796 posts
  • Location:L'Épiphanie, Québec (Fédération canadienne du Royaume du Canada)
  • Projects:Phoenix Rising
  •  Tester/Translator/Resident SW Loremaster (self proclaimed)

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:47 AM

A rather wise policy

If it's hard then it's worth doing.

- Alcor, Alcor pardonne-moi mais je ne veux pas que tu meurs. Je ne veux
pas que la planète bleue soit mise à feu et à sang par ces monstres. Je
me battrai pour les empêcher de détruire ce qui est devenue ma Terre.
Goldorak m'aidera. Au besoin, j'irai jusqu'au camp de la Lune Noire
puisque c'est là que Véga et ses monstres ont établi leur base. Et je la
détruirai.

Actarus

#96 a.fake.name

a.fake.name

title available

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 03:24 PM

A rather wise policy

I've been a fan of the Fallout series since not long after Fallout 2 came out, it's something I've gotten used to doing.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users