• Projects:Middle-Earth Expanded
  •  Coder
  • Donated

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:29 AM

logo-photo_zps90294492.png

^ OLD LOGO ^

New logo featured on page 7

Hey guys,

NOTE: This is a showcase as well as a hosting request. 

So, lets start with: This is my final hosting request and hopefully third time is the charm, reason being because i am determined to finish this mod without getting insane errors and or issues.

Over the past 2 year i have worked hard on improving my modding skills and have stayed with it for quite a while now. It started with my first post saying i needed help with a map.ini. I realized after about 5 months that i acted inappropriately and and to anyone who took part in the "help" thread I want to say sorry if your reading this. My first mod died shamefully and it was quite a pointless modification which added the most random things ever. This was my basic mod with nothing anyone would call advanced in it.

I then moved on to the FB2G modding team and that was a fantastic experience. My only regard for that thought was: To many members. Not enough members for the actual things we needed e.g: Artwork and Models. So, in the end i left that team. Whilst i was in that team though i started 2 mods. The Dunedain and The Age of the Gods. One was lore based (Dunedain) and in the end became a part of the most crappy Demo on the planet and The Age of the Gods was completely none lore based and didnt have a completely clear plan or balancing in mind.

I then decided maybe the reason both my mods werent going to work is because i hate lore but i love lotr as a whole.

This presented and issue/dilemma for me to process. I then started playing with an idea: What if its Fictional (none lore based), yet is at the same time.

This idea then became full fledged with a plan and a means to work (motivation). I started with the basic concepts by looking at photos and pictures on Google. I then came up with these two basic principles:

1. The Dunedain who i love and think should have a separate faction were going to be something i would work toward. I decided to detach it from FB2G and completely revamp it with completely new structures and skins from the ground up with a team of people i know and i trust to get work done.

- "The Dunedain have been completely re-imagined and have been classified as Middle-earth's protectors. They will have more hand built structures out of wood instead of the usual stone. They will have specialized units trained in light armor for faster movement and reflexes."

2. I wanted something new and old at the same time. So, I decided to add Rohan as a complete faction based upon the BFME version (same structures, units, portraits, you name it)

- "Rohan will always be known as the riders of the mark, and so they shall be completely revamped with better textures and the same buildings we all know and love. Their hordes will be completely redone to be up to date in BFMEII."

MODDB: http://www.moddb.com...hrough-the-ages

My Plan for my mod:

Spoiler

Its quite a basic plan i know but I hope it is clear enough. Basically it says: 1 new faction, 1 old faction being brought back, and Middle-earth items through Era's of history (no set time period for this mod)

NOTE: Spoiler Numbers are all off by 1. due to formatting errors through the forum software.

Dunedain Tech Tree:

Spoiler

Rohan Tech Tree:
Spoiler

Spoiler

ROHAN

Spoiler

Credits:

Me- code, basic models, basic temp skins
RoR- for references from his mod for Rohan and maybe a few skins and models
RG- advisor and little bits and pieces of everything
Val- skins and occasional model
Irene- occasional models and skins

Rohan Warriors model: The Dead Player/Clement

Dunedain Spearmen/Pikemen model: Turrin Turumbar

Edited by Apollo Hawnetyne, 30 July 2013 - 01:24 AM.

#2 Bofur

Bofur

The Bolicious One

• Hosted
  • 1,766 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Firstborn
  •  The Bolicious T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:31 AM

Just wondering, what will you give the Elves for Siege, now they've lost the Ents?

And you may want to credit some stuff, e.g. The Dunedain Spearmen model is from the main site.

left64_by_obsidianlake-d5ruayp.pngAotF.pngright64_by_obsidianlake-d5ruf44.png

#3 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

LEGO Knight of Minas Ithil

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  • Projects:Mapping this Middle-earth
  •  Mapper
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Staff

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:14 AM

That Inn looks fantastic. ;D

Remember that all worlds draw to an end and that noble death is a treasure which no one is too poor to buy. - C.S. Lewis

There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning. - Louis L'Amour

What will matter then will be people. If relationships will matter most then, shouldn't they matter most now? - Max Lucado

#4 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts
  • Projects:The 4th Age
  •  The very worst T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:37 PM

Why do you want to add Rohan? What's different about your Rohan compared to all the other mods who have Rohan? Seriously, I don't see anything about their techtree that makes me think "Cool, a Rohan faction", it's pretty generic. I cannot see your intentions with Rohan, except for the fact that they're easy to add due to most of the assets already existing in the game.

As for Dunedain, they appear to be way to similar to Gondor. They have "practically the same" unit rooster. So what is your plan for them? I assume most of the units can hide near trees, so that makes the whole playing experience different. More focus on setting up ambushes and stuff. What about scrapping the Dunedain Knights? Make rangers a bit faster than normal, and you have a unique kind of cavalry. What difference is there to the Swordsmen and the Spearmen? The Spearmen are twice the price, are they twice as good? Are they just better against cavalry? Normal spears aren't the same as pikes, so you could scrap the Spearmen or Swordsmen too, depening on who you think fits better. They basically have the same purpose, main infantry unit. Rangers deal with enemy cavalry. Then you'd have Swordsmen\Spearmen, Rangers and Elite Rangers. High-damage, low-armour\mid-armour units with a good range and stealth abilities.

Think about how the factions are unique. What makes them play different to other factions? You can add 4 new factions, but if they're generic they don't stand up to a single, well planned and balanced unique faction. Look at TEA for inspiration to your Dunedain faction for instance. Elves are a good inspiration for the Dunedain. Granted, TEA does have units that I suggested you scrap, but the mod is yours to decide. I'm not saying what you should do, I'm saying that you should think about what you're going to do. You wouldn't believe how many times I've changed the unit rooster on T4A.

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

The 4th Age version 0.8 has been released: Link

#5 Elric

Elric

Designer

• Hosted
  • 2,857 posts
  •  Coder
  • Donated

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:07 PM

Lauri- I actually did go through this thought process. Each faction has been completely upgraded armor wise is basically only siege works. All the prices have been doubled basically, and build times have been raised. My one issue with balancing for the Dunedain is movement. Because all the other factions have a Calvary type of unit. I felt like it would "unfair" If the Dunedain didn't have one, so in all honesty I agree that I need to come up with some kind of idea to get them out and or to come up with some other option. As for it being similar to Gondor, well my saying for that is what faction isn't. Most of the differences between factions are just building set ups: elves just have one building for getting footmen. Dwarves have two, exact same amount of units totally: archers, better archers, spearman, and swordsmen. I was originally going to have a type of "scout" but that is still being a bit worked on and it was having model issues.

I do see where you are coming from and I am way ahead in thinking about it. At one point I was thinking of maybe something like an animal pack where you have animal cavalry. But I wasn't sure of that would fit in.

Now then as for Rohan, Rohan for this isn't suppose to be unique on any level. I am basically adding he bfme1 version except updated to bfme2. The only few differences I have planned are: different spell book, and new heroes and 2-3 sets of new units. As well as a. New building. Nothing to major. I will probably upgrade the hero powers a bit and increase there health as well for balancing. The reason this isn't going to be overly unique is because some people love the old Rohan. I want to bring it to them in bfme2 and in all honesty most mods completely redo Rohan
To make it "better" when some of us just like the old version. The only thing that will eventually be changed are some of the building skins and unit skins so they are up to date look a bit better

As for unit pricing: I am making cavalry as a whole more expensive ad unique through out the factions. And so that's why spearmen are a bit more expensive.

I hope that answers all your questions in there lauri!

#6 Elric

Elric

Designer

• Hosted
  • 2,857 posts
  •  Coder
  • Donated

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:11 PM

Bofur- no the model is not from the site, it's from Rotwk with those animations. swordsmen yes tho are and I totally forgot credit so thank you for the reminder. As for siege well I am planning on leaving the ents in there. For now that is.

Thanks for the compliment Matt!

#7 Elric

Elric

Designer

• Hosted
  • 2,857 posts
  •  Coder
  • Donated

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:17 PM

Oh and my team at the moment is:

Me- code, basic models, basic temp skins
RoR- for references from his mod for Rohan and maybe a few skins and models
RG- advisor and little bits and pieces of everything
Val- skins and occasional model
Irene- occasional models and skins

#8 Bofur

Bofur

The Bolicious One

• Hosted
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:50 PM

I meant the Dunedain Spearmen.

#9 Elric

Elric

Designer

• Hosted
  • 2,857 posts
  •  Coder
  • Donated

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:53 PM

My bad. Should of asked. I automatically assumed it was Rohan because i had read Lauri's post first (missed your guys's posts) but yet again, Thank you for the reminder :)

Edited by {IP}Apollo, 26 June 2013 - 03:14 PM.

#10 Bofur

Bofur

The Bolicious One

• Hosted
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 03:09 PM

I reckon this would be quite cool if you took the "ages" bit more literally. There could be upgrades, like AoE, that evolve your race, so the Gondorians could make away from their Last Alliance armour to their War of the Ring armour, and Arnor could evolve into Dunedain Rangers when being outclassed due to a lack of Archers, or something.

Anyway, good luck with it.

#11 Elric

Elric

Designer

• Hosted
  • 2,857 posts
  •  Coder
  • Donated

Posted 26 June 2013 - 03:13 PM

Bofur: That was my original idea but the issue with this is multiple forts per faction with there own upgrades etc, Kind of upgrade your things by age ex: Start in the Leather Age and then for 5000 upgrade to the Bronze Age and then for say 10000 upgrade to the Iron age then for 20000 upgrade to the steel age etc... But i felt like this would turn into a none BFME game. I mean yea it would be cool but i want to stay within BFME at least somewhat. Thats why i am just going to pull units from different era's and put them in the faction they would fit in best. 

---Anyways---

What are your thoughts on this:

Ditch the Dunedain Knights and make the spearmen be able to mount in a Lancer horde at Rank 2. This means that Knights are available if wanted and it also means i can take out the Stables model completely. Therefore a little bit less graphics work. This would make it a bit more unique and a lot more interesting seeing as the spearmen/pikemen are best against cavalry. This way they are both their best and their worst nightmares thus solving the problem of cavalry, and making it a bit more unique. I would compensate this change by making them 100-200 more expensive.

Another difference between the Men and the Dunedain - Men have a leadership statue whilst the Dunedain will not have such a structure.

Edited by {IP}Apollo, 26 June 2013 - 03:14 PM.

#12 Bofur

Bofur

The Bolicious One

• Hosted
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 03:22 PM

Will they be Men, or Gondor, seeing as you've made Rohan their own faction?

And about the mounting Spearmen, I don't really know. Sure, it'd be cool, but... I'm not really sure about the whole idea. I like factions to have a specific weakness, which is why my Angmar are stuck with Rhudaur Axe-Throwers as their only ranged unit, and a very weak one at that. Try examining Mathijs' ideas for the Echoes mod, as that was going in the right direction, before Mathijs lost motivation.

#13 Elric

Elric

Designer

• Hosted
  • 2,857 posts
  •  Coder
  • Donated

Posted 26 June 2013 - 03:27 PM

The name will stay as Men because of some of the units i will be adding later. 

Also, to make the Dunedain, more unique they will have a few passive abilities and specialized upgrades:

Passive for all cloaked units:

Dunedain Stealth - Hidden within the trees (some units will actually show this as a passive ability)

--

Specialized upgrades:

Shattering Arrows - Arrows shatter on impact and preform a small amount of damage to a radius

Tower upgrade - Improve shooting speed a little bit and armor of the tower

Eyes of the Dunedain - Within a tiny radius they can spot stealthed units (chance based and passive) - purchase at the forge (NEW)

EDIT: looked at Echos and TEA - I like the idea of limiting hordes. I might do this for the Elite Dunedain and make there horde limit be 3 due to them being able to have every upgrade for the Dunedain Faction.

I was also able to fix the scout issue so here is the scout Tech Tree Part:

Dunedain Scout (Cost: 300) (Single Unit buy at Inn level 3)

1. Assassin (ability)
  2. Dunedain Stealth (passive)
  3. Eyes of the Dunedain (passive)
  4. Agility (passive)
  5. Flash (ability)

Also, another new unit for the Dunedain

Dunedain Master (Cost: 1200)(level ten sub hero, buy at archery range level 3)

1. Dunedain Stealth
  2. Agility
  3. Longshot
  4. Rapid Succession

Edited by {IP}Apollo, 26 June 2013 - 03:44 PM.

#14 Elric

Elric

Designer

• Hosted
  • 2,857 posts
  •  Coder
  • Donated

Posted 26 June 2013 - 04:05 PM

Rohan Spellbook:

5 - Draft

5 - Heal

5 - Horn

10 - Sentry Tower

10 - Lead the Riders into Battle (passive)

10 - Ride to War (passive)

10 - Elven Woods

15 - Light

15 - Summon Ents

25 - Rider of Rohan Summon

25 - Elves Summon

Dunedain Spellbook:

5 - Heal

5 - Rebuild

5 - Horn

10 - Summon Ithilian Rangers

10 - Elven Woods (named in game: Dunedain Woods)

10 - Fearless (passive)

10 - Keen Eyes (improve the keen eyes radius upgrade) - maybe

15 - Eagles Summon

15 - Light

25 - Slay Him - Deals 2000 damage to a unit of choice

25 - Protectors of middle-earth

EDIT: 

I just re-read everything i have wrote and i feel like i havent explained enough as to why i have picked 2 factions:

I wanted a unique faction (Dunedain) and i wanted a faction that i love and i know a lot of people love (Rohan). I picked the Dunedain because i love the idea and the mysteries of the Rangers. I knew that Ithilian was already in there and I wanted more Ranger specific things (a whole faction) thats how i got into the groove of wanting a Dunedain faction.

Now on to Rohan. I am not merely doing Rohan because its easy (yea it is quite easy due to all the models and skins being available), I am adding it because name one mod that adds Rohan as it used to be with only minor updates? I really dont think you can. I mean sure there is mods like Jus_Sauron's where its added as a sub faction but i really havent seen it added as a full on faction with minor updates. I love Rohan due to its magnificent balancing with the perfect playing style for me. I love the way there is only one type of Elven Warrior kind of unit and how there are unique things through out the faction. This is why i picked Rohan as a second faction. Sure its not my original idea but i love it none the less. :p

[I knew from the start that i wanted to have 2 factions. Why 2? well because i felt like i would lose motivation if i came across a problem for one faction. This way if a problem did arise i can just switch to working on the other faction without any problems.]-Not sure if any that made sense.

i hope this cleared things up a little bit.. :)

Edited by {IP}Apollo, 26 June 2013 - 04:24 PM.

#15 Bofur

Bofur

The Bolicious One

• Hosted
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 04:25 PM

Just wondering why the Dunes would be able to summon men from Ithilien, as they're miles away. Wouldn't Rivendell Elves make more sense?

Also, why have Rohirrim Lancers, Archers, and the Elite Rohirrim, because the elite are the others mushed into one... Couldn't you have the famous Royal Guard instead of the Elite Rohirrim? Or just simply remove them..

I'm just stating my views, your work so far is good, I just don't want you to fall down on simple planning, like FB2G did. Less is More.

#16 Elric

Elric

Designer

• Hosted
  • 2,857 posts
  •  Coder
  • Donated

Posted 26 June 2013 - 04:32 PM

The Elite Rohirrim i forgot to add will also have a mount dismount ability as well as toggle weapons. Sorry, my bad for that. :p

As for the Spellbook - Interesting idea. Ill have to ponder that one a little bit. 

#17 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:05 PM

You do realize the issues with hordes that can mount and dismount, right? It's impossible to get it to work properly.

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

#18 Elric

Elric

Designer

• Hosted
  • 2,857 posts
  •  Coder
  • Donated

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:33 PM

No, i had no idea that was an issue. I just assumed it would work because of you being able to do that kind of thing with Heroes. Ill of course try it but now i wont be surprised if i fail. Thank you for telling me (learn something new everyday :) )

Forgot to post this from moddb:

• All Rohan Buildings can be built by the Rohan Porters
  • All Buildings have there artwork and upgrades as well as effects (e.g: Rohan Fountain)
  • All previous Rohan units have been revamped with larger hordes and artwork (new skins coming soon)
  • New Rohan Fighters and Spearmen (ROTWK version) added with animations and artwork (including skins)
  • Imported the old building buttons and portraits from BFME1 and ROTWK
  • All Heavy Armor, Forged Blades, Fire Arrows, and Banner Carriers can be purchased and work correctly
  • Rohan Hall now in the works

Now on to Dunedain which has not been posted on moddb:

• All Halbarad and Aragorn powers coded in and work.
  • Majority of Dunedain upgrades done: Fire Arrows, Shattering Arrows, Iron Armor, Banner Carrier, and Forged Blade (still need eyes of the dunedain)
  • All the buildings shown in the pictures are completed with upgrades and units/upgrades in each buildings
  • All Units (swordsmen, spearmen, rangers, elite rangers) have been coded in and are fully functioning with upgrades

---

Misc: All Buildings have been raised to be almost double the cost and almost double the build time as well as being nearly invulnerable to swords and arrows (siege is now important). Farms all give 30 resources now instead of 25. Farms also are 100% in a smaller radius (more farms now)

Artwork:

Val has agreed to reskin the Rohan Faction to have slightly better textures. And has agreed to do the Dunedain Unit Textures as well.

Irene is working on the Dunedain Farm and eventually when he gets back from Norway work on the Dunedain Blacksmith to have it improved

I am working on balancing as well as coding in everything that is given to me as well as finding and making portraits and button images as well as temp artwork until its completed.

#19 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:39 PM

What, Irene is vacationing in my turf?

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

#20 Elric

Elric

Designer

• Hosted
  • 2,857 posts
  •  Coder
  • Donated

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:42 PM

Haha yea he is check his status. :) I was visiting him in the UK and he told me he is going on a cruise to Norway for this entire week. Lucky Bastard haha :p

Edited by {IP}Apollo, 26 June 2013 - 06:43 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users