Photo

Porting PR.

24 replies to this topic

#21 Kad_Venku

Kad_Venku
  • New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 10:01 PM

Not really. You can still force it to run on more than one core (and also make it large address aware), but this is no multiprocessing in it's true means. It divides the workload, but EaW pretends (and acts as if) it is running on one core. The engine is not the best ever built, and pretty old (older than EaW itself), So no easy and for a simple modmaker legal way to tune it.

Lack of ground combat is pretty much a dealbreaker. If we weren't interested in it, we could have moved to any number of space 4X games before now.

I was rather disappointed when I read that they wont include it. I think having both space and ground combat was the major bonus EaW has over all those 4X games. It made it truly unique and entertaining. (even though the ground combat processing part of the engine was poorly built)

#22 a.fake.name

a.fake.name

title available

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 01:12 AM

I'd rather they release space when it's ready, then take their time and do ground right.

Playing PR when stoned is awesome

#23 Moggwhy

Moggwhy
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 01:44 PM

http://www.moddb.com...wars-ascendancy so ICW is porting :p

#24 Aizen Teppa

Aizen Teppa
  • Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 03:01 PM

Well there is always venerable Star Trek Birth of the Federation. Would be fun to see that! Another one is Armada 1. There was great mod ST vs SW. Guys created true masterpiece. Shame they didn't proceeded with expanding it or moving to Armada 2.

And of course Distant Worlds. It's not exactly EaW engine, but it has good strategic background (something that EaW/FoC engine is seriously lacking). DW offers chance to recreate GFFA literally planet by planet.

#25 a.fake.name

a.fake.name

title available

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 04:54 AM

Armada 2 has had a few good star wars mods, and overall is decent as a platform for a SW mod.

I've modded it before, here's what it'd take to do a rough version of it:

-convert ship models to whatever format A2 uses.
-Write up all of the weapon .odf files. ///Each type of weapon gets a seperate text file (.odf format) which contains it's stats for editing.
-Write up all of the new ship .odf files.  ///using a template and just filling in the blanks makes it go a lot faster.
-implement new factions and give them a basic enough tech tree to allow for play testing.
Viola, functional if unfinished conversion.

Past that there'd be a decent bit of long term work.
Selecting hard points for the subsystems and picking where guns go being a major challenge, especially for the larger ships.
Picking a tech tree, etc, but a finished no-frills conversion would not take more than a few months if planned properly.

Also, with the special weapon energy meter in Armada 2, and the ability to have a weapon that lowers special weapon energy, a system where ships can be disabled could be implemented as well.

Playing PR when stoned is awesome

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users