• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  • Projects:It'sa secreeet
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Expert
  • Donated

Posted 16 May 2015 - 12:46 AM

No no, I may have had a specific dislike for Beorn's texture but it's not relevant to this one. The level of detail on this model proceeds your previous ones, and I really hope that your painting work scales to your molding skill.

https://www.twitch.tv/vileartist - Yes shameless self-promotion

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Old modders never die, they just fade away" ~ Hostile

#42 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  • Projects:BFME2 - Nazgûl's Special Extended Edition
  •  Veteran

Posted 16 May 2015 - 01:29 AM

Interesting how it's perceived that way. For me, the most detailed, and yet far most tedious to make, is Bolg.

Bolg20.jpg

Here's another shot of Beorn, head only... for comparison to Dain's head. I think they match up pretty good, even though Dain has a more exciting look for sure =)

Beorn12.jpg
Dain_Wip9.jpg

Edited by Nazgûl, 16 May 2015 - 01:30 AM.

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
"Do not come between the Nazgûl and his mod!"
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I S.E.E. YOU! <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#43 ThorinOakenshield2

ThorinOakenshield2
  • Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 07:26 AM

Wow, that model looks so awesome, the details are amazing :D And it's great that he will get his hammer and his helm from the movie.

#44 Stokstaartje95

Stokstaartje95
  • Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 09:56 AM

Totally awesome stuff!

Wow, that model looks so awesome, the details are amazing :D And it's great that he will get his hammer and his helm from the movie.

IMO a version without helmet might even be better for the details.

#45 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 16 May 2015 - 11:21 AM

I'll probably go with this:

...start out without the cape, the helmet and the axe, using the hammer. Then we add a button called Royal Assets, or something... and when buying the upgrade, Dain gets the helmet, the cape and the axe, with increased armor, damage and Leadership?

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#46 ThorinOakenshield2

ThorinOakenshield2
  • Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 11:35 AM

Will there be a way to have the hammer, the helmet and the cape at the same time?

Edited by ThorinOakenshield2, 16 May 2015 - 11:36 AM.

#47 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 16 May 2015 - 11:44 AM

I think I'll switch, so the hammer will be in in the Royal Upgrade, and the axe (which looks puny in comparison) will be the standard. That way, when upgraded, he'll look like he does in the movie, and the lore guys get theirs from his basic outfit =)

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#48 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

LEGO Knight of Minas Ithil

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  • Projects:Mapping this Middle-earth
  •  Mapper
  • Job:T3A Staff

Posted 16 May 2015 - 12:29 PM

The upgrade could be called The Coronation of Dain Ironfoot and give him upgrades not seen in the movie.

An interesting fact about Dain is that he is the first high king of the Dwarves that is not a direct descendant of Durin.

Remember that all worlds draw to an end and that noble death is a treasure which no one is too poor to buy. - C.S. Lewis

There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning. - Louis L'Amour

What will matter then will be people. If relationships will matter most then, shouldn't they matter most now? - Max Lucado

#49 Maximan

Maximan

Some Dude

• Hosted
  • 572 posts
  • Projects:BFME: Classic Edition

Posted 16 May 2015 - 12:48 PM

Just an idea: You could make the player able to choose between two ways to use Dain, by having two command buttons in the palantir in the start of Dain, then when you select one his model changes and his abilities changes too.

Warhammer: Allows the Mighty Earthshaker ability

2H Axe: Allows a better version of Gimli's Slayer ability

It also allows people to use the weapon they like :)

Edited by Maximan, 16 May 2015 - 01:13 PM.

#50 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts
  • Projects:The 4th Age
  •  The very worst T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 16 May 2015 - 12:58 PM

Maybe his face is a bit too red? And his mustache could be all grey, according to the reference pic below. Looks great otherwise.

Reference pic

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

The 4th Age version 0.8 has been released: Link

#51 ThorinOakenshield2

ThorinOakenshield2
  • Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 02:33 PM

I like more the idea Nazgul suggested: he gets the hammer together with the cape and helm through the royal upgrade :)

#52 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 16 May 2015 - 08:16 PM

Again, your pic is so small Lauri... Here's a bigger one. But yeah you're right about the color of the mustache. However, I followed this image mostly for color, which is a high res digital render from Weta. I'll see what I can do about it. I still have to to his tattoos anyways =)

Good ideas people. We'll see what I end up with...

Edited by Nazgûl, 16 May 2015 - 08:17 PM.

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#53 Bashkuga

Bashkuga

Because good guys are too mainstream

• Project Team
  • 2,039 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring Betatester and Mapper, Edain Mod Betatester
  •  Out of the frying pan, and into the fire..

Posted 16 May 2015 - 09:39 PM

Little off track but your pic is still the same size Naz :p. Posting a photolink from lotr wikia makes the pic smaller.

#54 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts
  • Projects:The 4th Age
  •  The very worst T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 16 May 2015 - 09:44 PM

Brilliant, when I click your link your picture is tiny as hell, but I see that it's the same picture in theory. Weird, but that explains why you meant the last pic I posted was small, because it wasn't really small :p Oh well

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

The 4th Age version 0.8 has been released: Link

#55 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Leader

Posted 16 May 2015 - 11:37 PM

I would just pick a weapon and be done with it instead of having some forced method of using both. All ideas except maybe MtL's have been pretty lame. :p

Oh and about making this 'rigging-ready', look at the polys on the model belonging to the skl this will have in critical spots like armpits/shoulders and match it as closely as possible when making the low poly version. That will save Valheru some headaches. You can have a ton of polys in areas like the face and chest area but the crucial 'twisting' parts of the body should be matched as closely as possible. Armpits, waist, etc.

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#56 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 17 May 2015 - 12:19 AM

I understand, thanks for the tip about the rigging  :thumbsupcool:

I like the idea of having him upgrade though, so I'll go for that. And I like MTL's name Coronation of Dáin  :trickydick:

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#57 ThorinOakenshield2

ThorinOakenshield2
  • Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 04:56 AM

Will Dain be able to mount his war-pig? If yes, will he be able to mount it together with getting the hammer, cape and helm through upgrading?

#58 Bofur

Bofur

The Bolicious One

• Hosted
  • 1,766 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Firstborn
  •  The Bolicious T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 17 May 2015 - 09:04 AM

The upgrade could be called The Coronation of Dain Ironfoot and give him upgrades not seen in the movie.

An interesting fact about Dain is that he is the first high king of the Dwarves that is not a direct descendant of Durin.

He is a direct descendant of Durin... this came up on TORn this morning, have you been reading too much? :p The lines are both equal, as both Thror and Gror are brothers, sons of Dáin I. And he was followed by Durin VII.

left64_by_obsidianlake-d5ruayp.pngAotF.pngright64_by_obsidianlake-d5ruf44.png

#59 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

LEGO Knight of Minas Ithil

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  • Projects:Mapping this Middle-earth
  •  Mapper
  • Job:T3A Staff

Posted 17 May 2015 - 09:13 AM

He is a direct descendant of Durin... this came up on TORn this morning, have you been reading too much? :p The lines are both equal, as both Thror and Gror are brothers, sons of Dáin I. And he was followed by Durin VII.

Yes, and Thror is the eldest. =D

Remember that all worlds draw to an end and that noble death is a treasure which no one is too poor to buy. - C.S. Lewis

There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning. - Louis L'Amour

What will matter then will be people. If relationships will matter most then, shouldn't they matter most now? - Max Lucado

#60 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 18 May 2015 - 01:12 AM

Gosh, this is turning out to be my most advanced paint job yet... All them details are killing me. But I love that roman style armor with a mixture of leather, metal and bling bling!  :p

About 6 hours of painting got me here... Only lower arms, hands, belt and back of legs left to do now, before I can paint the cape and bash it all together.  :thumbsuphappy:

Then... the helmet  :evilthinkin:

Dain_Body_pp.jpg

Edited by Nazgûl, 18 May 2015 - 01:52 AM.

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users