• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  • Projects:It'sa secreeet
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Expert
  • Donated

Posted 26 October 2015 - 09:44 PM

No, please no. It would likely be butchered even more because of the lack of any existing script/plot line. 

https://www.twitch.tv/vileartist - Yes shameless self-promotion

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Old modders never die, they just fade away" ~ Hostile

#22 Bashkuga

Bashkuga

Because good guys are too mainstream

• Project Team
  • 2,039 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring Betatester and Mapper, Edain Mod Betatester
  •  Out of the frying pan, and into the fire..

Posted 26 October 2015 - 09:52 PM

Why would it? Looking through the artwork I can see how the battle would've looked like in their eyes, and if you ask me it already looks very great. You seem to forget that P.J. is still the genius behind the battle of Minas Tirith and Helms Deep in the movies, you can't tell me that those were bad ;). Furthermore; since the extended edition the Battle of the Five Armies is almost as great as the battles in LOTR, but that is just my opinion.

Edited by Bashkuga, 26 October 2015 - 09:53 PM.

#23 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Donated

Posted 26 October 2015 - 11:33 PM

The art you see is concept art from an artist, not PJ. And I have not forgotten that PJ was the genius behind Minas Tirith and Helms Deep. However no matter how much better the EE versions of The Hobbit movies are, they are not nearly as well crafted and true to the atmosphere as the LotR films were. 

Based on the drastic change in style that PJ employed in The Hobbit films, I have little faith that any other Middle-earth films would do justice.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#24 King Dain II Ironfoot

King Dain II Ironfoot

King Under the Mountain of Erebor

• Project Team
  • 193 posts
  • Projects:THL

Posted 27 October 2015 - 09:38 AM

I still think PJ would make epic Battle of Dale! :) In the Hobbit he just got carried away with all the new Technology and CGI, it is just how this days Movies are done,sad but true some times! :) If LOTR was made this YEars I dooubt they would have been much different :)

I will not stand down before any Elf not least this faithless Woodland Sprite,he wishes nothing but ill upon my people....Ya think I give a dead dog about your treats  you Pointy Ear Princess...          WklE62A.png

You hear that lads..we're on...let's give these bastards a good hammering...Tanar Durin nur!!....

#25 Irenë Hawnetyne

Irenë Hawnetyne

-

• Hosted
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 09:48 AM

In the Hobbit he just got carried away with all the new Technology and CGI, it is just how this days Movies are done,sad but true some times!

I don't plan on trying to turn this into a 'why the hobbit isn't visually great' topic, but just to say, plenty of movies use models rather than CGI still, it's still a valid and largely more convincing method. Look at Prometheus, released in 2012 like AUJ, and compare how much more convincing it was, atmospherically and visually. You don't need new tech to make films good, and that misstep on PJ's part will forever be a barrier to making new Tolkien films. And that's without the controversy of the story (which as I've previously said, I didn't feel was as terrible as it's made out to be).

"Everyone's a hero when there's nowhere left to run."

Auxiliary Skarn, 2333rd Cohort

#26 King Dain II Ironfoot

King Dain II Ironfoot

King Under the Mountain of Erebor

• Project Team
  • 193 posts
  • Projects:THL

Posted 27 October 2015 - 12:21 PM

I agree many aspects looked like PC Game but what to do,it had its good moments too! :)

Plus we know what PJ is capable and  he may de excelelnt job with Battle of Dale no matter the CGI! :) Plus I actually liked Battle of the Five Armies(well it had its inconsistancies moments and not logical things and missing things) but as an over whole battle I really enjoyed it!I mean the Battle not the whole Movie cuz there wre many not needed scenes and many awesome scenes that got deleted :(

I will not stand down before any Elf not least this faithless Woodland Sprite,he wishes nothing but ill upon my people....Ya think I give a dead dog about your treats  you Pointy Ear Princess...          WklE62A.png

You hear that lads..we're on...let's give these bastards a good hammering...Tanar Durin nur!!....

#27 Bashkuga

Bashkuga

• Project Team
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 12:37 PM

As far as I know the reason that PJ didn't use models is because he filmed the movie with High Frame Rate. According to him the effects would look very bad if he used models that way, so he used CGI as alternative.

Edited by Bashkuga, 27 October 2015 - 12:38 PM.

#28 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts
  • Projects:The 4th Age
  •  The very worst T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 27 October 2015 - 05:01 PM

As far as I know the reason that PJ didn't use models is because he filmed the movie with High Frame Rate. According to him the effects would look very bad if he used models that way, so he used CGI as alternative.

Which ended up being a bullshit move. At any rate, I believe PJ could do a good job directing a new movie, but not with the all-say on everything, which seems like he had in The Hobbit trilogy.

Wouldn't want it though.

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

The 4th Age version 0.8 has been released: Link

#29 Irenë Hawnetyne

Irenë Hawnetyne

-

• Hosted
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 07:31 PM

More than anything, high FPS is silly. It's not like we're "just doing okay" with FPS' of 25, they look smooth and the increased FPS doesn't improve it in any way. And using that as an excuse not to make models just sounds lazy.

#30 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Donated

Posted 27 October 2015 - 07:50 PM

But the human eye can't see more than 28 fps anyway. Just like it's impossible to tell the difference between 720p and 1080p! So we should just stop trying to improve anything because it doesn't matter!

#31 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  • Projects:BFME2 - Nazgûl's Special Extended Edition
  •  Veteran

Posted 27 October 2015 - 11:29 PM

Or... you could just chosse not to see it. Like me, regarding Star Wars ep I-III. Saw them once, never again. Saw ep IV-VI like 30 times :p

But the human eye can't see more than 28 fps anyway. Just like it's impossible to tell the difference between 720p and 1080p! So we should just stop trying to improve anything because it doesn't matter!

Where did you get that?

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
"Do not come between the Nazgûl and his mod!"
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I S.E.E. YOU! <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#32 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Donated

Posted 28 October 2015 - 12:52 AM

It's common knowledge!

#33 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

LEGO Knight of Minas Ithil

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  • Projects:Mapping this Middle-earth
  •  Mapper
  • Job:T3A Staff

Posted 28 October 2015 - 12:56 AM

That our eyes detect every single photon? =p

Remember that all worlds draw to an end and that noble death is a treasure which no one is too poor to buy. - C.S. Lewis

There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning. - Louis L'Amour

What will matter then will be people. If relationships will matter most then, shouldn't they matter most now? - Max Lucado

#34 Irenë Hawnetyne

Irenë Hawnetyne

-

• Hosted
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 07:06 AM

Kwen, that's what I mean. Raising above that is like listening any music over 320kpbs - the alterations at those frequencies are so minimal it's irrelevant.

#35 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Donated

Posted 28 October 2015 - 10:57 AM

I was joking.

#36 Bofur

Bofur

The Bolicious One

• Hosted
  • 1,766 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Firstborn
  •  The Bolicious T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 28 October 2015 - 01:15 PM

Whoa whoa whoa, HFR looked stunning in 3D, shame they smeared the horrible bloom effect on the highlights, that made most of the CG look absolutely yucky.

left64_by_obsidianlake-d5ruayp.pngAotF.pngright64_by_obsidianlake-d5ruf44.png

#37 Maximan

Maximan

Some Dude

• Hosted
  • 572 posts
  • Projects:BFME: Classic Edition

Posted 28 October 2015 - 01:52 PM

Yeah they could have worked more on the the "filter" for the hobbit.

Edited by Maximan, 28 October 2015 - 01:52 PM.

#38 Bashkuga

Bashkuga

• Project Team
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 04:07 PM

I agree that the filter in the first Hobbit could've used some work, but the second and third movie were pretty much excellent to me.

Edited by Bashkuga, 28 October 2015 - 04:07 PM.

#39 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Leader

Posted 28 October 2015 - 07:41 PM

Well, this thread certainly stayed on topic. Thanks guys!

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#40 Bashkuga

Bashkuga

• Project Team
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 07:44 PM

But it's full of life and discussion; that's the most important thing ;).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users